60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iRedM

Quote from: iRedM on May 18, 2014, 11:47:09 AM
Like I said, I'll test it and if it's better than H.264; well that's good enough for me.

Okay guys; I'm back for one reason, which is to confess that 60D and RAW continuous recording are a lost cause. However! On a positive note, I discovered how to remedy the situation with a user defined flat picture profile as well the use of ISO and Aperture to get more detailed shots even at night thanks to this dude https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPIOPc71REY

Happy shooting "Dynamite 60D Dudes"!
Film, Music, Faith, Life, Design and Gaming; I do.

ViXP

Quote from: Defkaunta on May 28, 2014, 08:27:31 PM
Hey guys, just tested the Nightly Build for the 60D with RAW Support for the 1st time and I am amazed! So congrats to the dude(s) who made it happen and for putting so much time and work into it! You are brilliant! Never thought I could be amazed by my little camera again :). Feels so good!

However, there are some things which bug me though (must have already been said 1000x before i guess):

Its kind of a bummer (or a challenge? hmmm) to only get about 5 secs of recording time with 1728x724 (Using a 20mb/s card, that is the max write speed of the camera anyways, right?).

Any chances that at some point the developers of ML might dig even deeper into the mainframe of the camera's functions to maybe add functions like 10 or 12 Bit RAW instead of 14 Bit RAW unless it is deeply baked into the sensors configuration? (less writing speeds, more continuos shooting and maybe even true 1080p?)

Also is there a way to play the .RAW file back on your camera? kind of stupid when you can only check on your pc afterwards but hey I really do not want to complain here, it is kind of like shooting on celluloid again :D so that adds a certain discipline when shooting :).

Any theories on improving the writing speed of the camera or bypassing it? (by adding additional software and gear maybe?)

Again, thank you developers :). Woooow!

I've already asked almost the same on the same page. For playback the .RAW footage you have to use mlv_play module.

dubarry

60D For Life...Until the 7D2 comes out then it becomes a great B cam.

Posted this in the video section but just in case you missed it.

Squeezing the last bit out of my 60D until the 7D2 arrives.  ;)
For me Magic Lantern has enabled me to do so much more with my existing hardware. The video could do with a little polish but still very happy with the results.

Shot with:
Canon 60D
60mm EF-S Macro (I know, right)  8)
2 23watt LED lights & 1 15watt
Zoom H4N off camera audio
Cheap tripod (this was my weak link)

farmej10

So what's the news on Canon 60D RAW shooting? I've noticed that in order to record for at least 30secs or so you have to risk your shot, the crop factor has a tremendous amount of noise  :'(

dmilligan

good news: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12528.msg120834#msg120834

a1ex found some new memory and it looks like the 60D has a lot of it, this could potentially boost the amount of time we can record raw video by a lot. stay tuned!

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

dubarry

Wow. Thanks for posting this here dmilligan. It would be so great if ML can pull yet another rabbit out of the 60D.

If I understand it correctly an additional 186 Mb could effectively DOUBLE our recording time right?. Whoa fingers crossed and waiting patiently on this one!

dmilligan

I made some changes to mlv_rec to use the new SRM memory, I managed to get:

460 frames (19.2s) @ 1280x720p24
170 frames (7.1s) @ 1728x972p24
103 frames (4.2s) @ 2048x1080p24 (crop mode)
86 frames (3.6s) @ 2240x1080p24 (crop mode, max)

dubarry

nice dmilligan

I'm still using raw_rec mo believe it or not as audio was not a priority for me (on camera that is) but I think you're going to force me over to mlv at this rate. lol.

love watching this develop! - that 20 sec at 1280 may be my new format. that's great.

keikun007

Quote from: dmilligan on July 06, 2014, 08:52:19 PM
I made some changes to mlv_rec to use the new SRM memory, I managed to get:

460 frames (19.2s) @ 1280x720p24
170 frames (7.1s) @ 1728x972p24
103 frames (4.2s) @ 2048x1080p24 (crop mode)
86 frames (3.6s) @ 2240x1080p24 (crop mode, max)

20 seconds sounds sweet in 720p =) well done
is it already merged in nightlies?

dmilligan

larrycafe

good to know we are going to have longer time for RAW video.

when can we expect to see it in the nightly build? my son's graduation ceremony is coming soon, hope I can use this for longer RAW video capture.

dmilligan

dubarry

iiiiiiiiiiITS READY...

Seriously thank you A1ex and especially dmilligan for showing the 60D some love

SRM. It's in the nightly people...

60D    1728x736 2.35:1  24fps 254 frames @ 10 seconds
          1728x972 16x9    24fps 170 frames @ 6 seconds
no more switching to s2 jpeg and then forgetting to switch back to raw.

Honestly 10 seconds has been my dream for about what 2.5/3 years now.

That's bloody spectacular
thank you, thank you, thank you all.

Also read into it what you will but that cheeky devil said "that's all for now". I can't help but to be optimistic but if this is the final tweak I'm still super happy with 10 secs.

a1ex

Latest nightly builds include a recent installer, so you no longer need to install the old version first, and then upgrade. First install works from 64GB cards too.

Feel free to update the first post. Maybe it's time to start a fresh topic in the camera-specific discussion?

Installation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.1.1.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

dubarry

Will do.

Since it's the next big thing, we'll wait for full res silent pics to hit the nightlies next week as mentioned then we can do a recap/update.

ps. this new installer you mention ... the .fir is in the 5d3 download but there is none in the 60D download for the record.

vertigopix

Install / Uninstall working perfectly. +1

raffal92

Satis

Nice job Raffal, always great to see tests that go beyond simple videos of cars and cats. Cool grading!

Also a general question for people in this thread, now that we have access to SRM I'm just curious about the capabilities of 60D's, on a 600D I can pull out 17 secs of ~ 1280x544 at 23.976,  so it enables me to work in "cinematic" 720p for 17 sec clips, which is not bad. What about the 60D, 30-40 secs? What resolutions are you using in general?
50D IR, 600D, 550D

Haliburton

Beautiful work, Raffaele, and by writer/actor Nicola, too.

Can you tell us a bit about the resolution/shot length you used, and your post processing?

many thanks

Haliburton

hi all,

Thanks dmilligan, dubarry, and a1ex for the latest nightlies.

One of these recent updates has solved a longstanding bug for me, in which the Magic Zoom inset would blink erratically while recording, rendering it useless for manual focusing on the fly.

While filming H.264 at events at which I need to tweak focus manually, I've had to use the old v 2.3 stable release, since every nightly I've used prior to this month, has exibited this uselessifying of MagicZoom, one of ML's killer features, for me.

Thanks to whoever tweaked the GlobalDraw code, or whatever it was that makes it possible for me to use recent nightlies, all the time :)

Haliburton

I'm recording RAW at 6 fps or slower, at the highest resolution possible, which for the 60D is 1728x1152.

Frankly, it's gorgeous.

Here's a comparison of a section of a video that I shot both RAW, and high-bitrate H.264:

Please ignore the colour saturation (I shot the H.264 flat, for more grade-ability), but check the sharpness (!).

Same lens, same everything, minutes apart.

So far I have been re-starting the capture every half hour, but will soon be using a Pclix ( http://pclix.com ) to do so automatically.

raffal92

Hi all, i hope you enjoyed my little work... This is the workflow i used: 60D RAW MLV 1280 2.35:1AR 24fps almost 900 frames SANDISK 32gb 95mbs - Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC - MLViewer (MLV to DNG) - Davinci RESOLVE Debayering, Denoising (DNG to DPX) - Adobe AE, Adobe Premiere ( compositing and editing - XML to next step) - DAVINCI RESOLVE Color Grading (DPX to MOV YUV 10b) - Premiere for Final EXPORT...

In using a ml april release, what is SRM memory? im not  up to date with ml releases

nikfreak

SRM will make old hack obsolete and increase your raw recording time by using SRM memory - especially on 60D.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Haliburton

grrr.

I wanted to do some benchmarks of raw video for raffal92, using the August 8 nightly, but the mysterious behavior noted in the subject line has reared its ugly head:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12973.0

If anyone can help, I'd be most obliged.

thanks,

Hal

Quote from: raffal92 on August 11, 2014, 10:36:59 AM
Hi all, i hope you enjoyed my little work... This is the workflow i used: 60D RAW MLV 1280 2.35:1AR 24fps almost 900 frames SANDISK 32gb 95mbs - Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC - MLViewer (MLV to DNG) - Davinci RESOLVE Debayering, Denoising (DNG to DPX) - Adobe AE, Adobe Premiere ( compositing and editing - XML to next step) - DAVINCI RESOLVE Color Grading (DPX to MOV YUV 10b) - Premiere for Final EXPORT...

In using a ml april release, what is SRM memory? im not  up to date with ml releases

Thanks, Raffaele!