[RAW2DNG] BATCHelor 3.0 Alpha 3

Started by fatpig, May 24, 2013, 03:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3pointedit

Hey it works great but I notice some mosaic artifacts, around high contrast edges. Is that normal?
550D on ML-roids

fatpig

...and uses cjpeg to make jpgs from the ppm files DCraw puts out. :)
- but other than that.. that is how it works. Happy you find it useful! :)

@3pointedit: you talk about the thumbnail?
I used the highlight recovery option in DCraw- this may be the cause.
Otherwise we look at blown out hightlights i suppose.

bumkicho

Is there an option I can set to automatically create folder jpg instead of having to be prompted for every raw file?

leefie

Yeah, or choose to disable the jpg completely.
Awesome tool so far! saved me hours of processing.
Have loaded the results yet but everything looks good :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
leefie*

fatpig

Hello,

I made a small mistake in the 1.2 version, please download again, the prompt is now removed.
It is called version 1.2a - and it is right here as always:

http://www.fatpigtures.com/software

ted ramasola

This app has great potential! Thanks fatpig!

A couple of queries;

Does this work with spanned files of more than 4gig?

Is this compatible with the latest nightly compile for the 5dmkII dated may 31?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

fatpig

Just use the newest Raw2Dng.exe you can find, it worked for me at least. :)

I am currently thinking about making this something of an app you use on your notebook on set, so it copies, and optionally compresses your DNGs aswell.
What are some of the compression options out there?
I was thinking of some tests with Adobes DNG Converter. Ideally we could use some freeware for this aswell like 7-zip.
Other ideas?

7-zip gives about 50% on ultra and 80% on fastest compression setting.
I will also look at the lossy compression from Adobe.

EDIT: lossy compression is great, you seem to lose no detail, but filesize is greatly decreased. My first test gave a reduction to about 34% file size while remaining directly usable. this is great!

ted ramasola

Thank you for your reply,

is imagemagick install optional? in case I don't need the thumbnails?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

fatpig

You don't need Imagemagick anymore. My app just works out of the download now.  :)

IliasG

Quote from: fatpig on June 01, 2013, 11:15:22 AM
Just use the newest Raw2Dng.exe you can find, it worked for me at least. :)

I am currently thinking about making this something of an app you use on your notebook on set, so it copies, and optionally compresses your DNGs aswell.
What are some of the compression options out there?
I was thinking of some tests with Adobes DNG Converter. Ideally we could use some freeware for this aswell like 7-zip.
Other ideas?

7-zip gives about 50% on ultra and 80% on fastest compression setting.
I will also look at the lossy compression from Adobe.

EDIT: lossy compression is great, you seem to lose no detail, but filesize is greatly decreased. My first test gave a reduction to about 34% file size while remaining directly usable. this is great!

Adobe DNG converter is freeware and at lossless compression it gives a file size at around 60-70% with the added benefit of embedded midsize jpeg preview which then you can extract with Dcraw -e ..

Lossy compressed DNGs have limited support at the moment and give a RGB 8 bit-log file which possibly has problems with heavy grading. Some tests to show it's robustness (heavy grading, green screen) are needed before adoption ..

leefie

I have one other suggestion:
Start the folder names at 0 instead of 1 so that they match the original files :-)
Will help with workflow, archiving, etc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
leefie*

fatpig

@IliasG:
If I am not mistaken, Aftereffects is the only software capable of processing the Canon DNGs at the moment anyway-
and Aftereffects also supports the lossy DNGs as far as I know.

I think an option for lossless and lossy compression would be a good Idea in BATCHelor.

As for the file naming, I dont really see the benefit of this, as you delete your .RAW files after conversion, don't you? Why would the DNGs start at 0 then?

tin2tin

Is it possible to somehow see and/or edit the dcraw settings you are you're using?

fatpig

currently it is not possible.
It is harcoded.
What would you like to change?

tin2tin

I'm messing around with dcraw but only get dark and pink frames out.

fatpig

IliasG

Quote from: fatpig on June 01, 2013, 09:36:17 PM
@IliasG:
If I am not mistaken, Aftereffects is the only software capable of processing the Canon DNGs at the moment anyway-
and Aftereffects also supports the lossy DNGs as far as I know.

I think an option for lossless and lossy compression would be a good Idea in BATCHelor.

I think you are correct on this. And more support is coming by third parties ..

I just insist that lossy DNG needs a robustness test before accepted as a useful option.

fatpig

I will make both options available, I redesigned the interface and will try to make it a one-stop on-set solution for storing our RAW files.

hjfilmspeed

Is it possible to combined your batch with raw to cineform converter too? or cinema dng? I love your program. its simple and quick and super reliable. I converted and afternoons worth of raw without a single issue but id love to have the option to batch to cinform or cinema dng. I have no clue how to do the command line thing. Do think it is possible?

fatpig

Hello hjfilmspeed,

I am certainly willing to include these exciting methods once they are workable.
For now, they don't work on either of my machines.
I have posted in the RAW2GPCF thread already.

For now, I implemented some new stuff in my new Beta in Post 1. Check it out! ;)

hjfilmspeed

Awesome! I have no clue how you programmers do it. Excellent job and thank you so much! 1.0 was a machine! Havent had any issues yet! Great work!!!

fatpig

let me know how the beta works for you, should you come to use it :)

ted ramasola

I was able to run it 1 time, I saw a cmd prmt window running raw2dng and files were generated in folders in the specified dir. then when I tried for a second batch it just generated a folder and I can see a cmdprmt screen flash for a millisecond but nothing is generated.

Does it work if I manually deleted first a file in the cf card via explorer before I run bachelor? because that's what I did different from the 1st time.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

fatpig

manually deleting files should not be a problem while batchelor is not running.

try to reproduce the error-
on your system, just let batchelor process the same folder twice in a row.
if everything works correctly you will get 2 folders, one with number 1, one with number 2.

let me know how it works, also try to run as admin and use short paths like C:\test to narrow down the problem.

ted ramasola

Quote from: fatpig on June 06, 2013, 01:49:19 PM
manually deleting files should not be a problem while batchelor is not running.

try to reproduce the error-
on your system, just let batchelor process the same folder twice in a row.
if everything works correctly you will get 2 folders, one with number 1, one with number 2.

let me know how it works, also try to run as admin and use short paths like C:\test to narrow down the problem.

I've done it several times. Yes, I got several folders numbered incrementally but nothing is inside. I tried files that were transfered to the HDD. still no go. I can extract using the drag over raw2dng method.

The folder structure i use is also simple, just a folder after drive letter.

Also ran the program as admin.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas