Can't open .cr2 files from may19's nightly build...

Started by jacksonhpeters, May 23, 2013, 03:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacksonhpeters

I can open them up with the in camera play mode and cr2converter, but the jpegs taken out of cr2converter have a magenta tint. Photoshop gives the "Photoshop cannot open this file." error, prompting to go to Help>Updates. I have the latest version of ACR. Usually I take RAW+JPEG, but I had it disabled this time. Anyway to convert clean jpegs from these raw files? Thanks a lot!

Audionut

jacksonhpeters

Audionut

How did you get an 8 Megapixels CR2 out of an 18 Megapixels camera with no sRAW or mRAW option?

scrax

Quote from: Audionut on May 23, 2013, 05:36:11 AM
How did you get an 8 Megapixels CR2 out of an 18 Megapixels camera with no sRAW or mRAW option?

600D has it, but hidden ;)
Tragic Lantern enables them
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Audionut

Ha, that would explain it.

@jacksonhpeters

Does a new build fix it?  UFRaw will open it and export to gimp http://sourceforge.net/projects/ufraw/?source=dlp
Which will mean dcraw and any other raw processors that rely on dcraw will work also.

@1%, does the hack kill one of the green channels, or it that something else that has gone wrong with the above cr2?

1%

Its just broken in canon FW. Sraw I think opens fine with UFRAW and mraw is corrupted or the other way around. Its more useful as a hack to increase memory.

I had another thought too.. saving raw always generates jpeg previews, I wonder if it affects real raw burst for photos.

jacksonhpeters

thanks for the software. Converting to .ppm's to convert to jpg.

Audionut

Quote from: 1% on May 23, 2013, 06:29:56 AM
I had another thought too.. saving raw always generates jpeg previews, I wonder if it affects real raw burst for photos.

1,366,742 bytes out of a 30,297,035 bytes CR2 on a 5D3.  Probably only going to net 1 or 2 extra shots out of a long burst.
The space savings would be nice though without the embedded jpg.

a1ex

It won't affect burst speed, because the photos are developed a bit later, in some sort of an idle task.

1%

So no extra shots either? A lot of stuff uses that jpeg for previews and but it probably takes up some space. I wonder how much on a few 1000 photos.