The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rommex

Quote from: chmee on December 26, 2013, 11:03:49 AM
Happy Christmas, mediali & rommex.

Thanks. So, the fps-problem is a thing inside resolve. You have to adjust the basic settings of your project. It seems, resolve is not interested in the fps-metadata.

The problems Wirth the newer versions will come From the multithreaded reading. I'll rewrite that. So stay on 1.3, for resolve it makes no difference.

Thanks, chmee. FPS is not big deal, really. But what about the naming issues? Any plans to resolve them?

chmee

Im not home, writing on a Smartphone. When im back, i'll answer the important things
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Canon eos m

Hi,

I tried to convert an old file using raw2cdng 1.3.0 and view it on PPro CC - came out all pink.
I tried doing the same thing on AE CC and came out just fine. I think it is the PPro CC that is causing the issue.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Andy600

@Chmee - Do you know how to change/update exif in CDNGs?

I want to add camera model to some old CDNG files converted with an old version of raw2cdng. I don't have the original .raw files. I've tried using Exiftool but it keeps throwing up errors. It seems to work with normal DNG files.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Canon eos m

Chemee, my question too, how do I add camera model to version 1.3.0. 1.4.8 is not very stable yet.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

chmee

changing the model ID is not a one-liner, sorry. (use a hex-editor) It's the tag id's 110 (hexoffset 5e) and C614 (hexoffset 106) - it writes its string-length and the string offset into the tag-data. i dont know if i wrote the string on the end of the metadata, possibly the length of the string changes the offset of forthcoming data - makes following entries illegal/defective.

so, i tried to write a more stable and better version to christmas (you've seen the 1.4.9 :)) but the time before christmas is full of familiy-action. give me some days after newyear to stabilize raw2cdng.

toDo for the next version.
* stable read and write with mutlithreading (had a chat with g3gg0 about it)
* dng-header generation - modul rewrite
* IliasG's new LUT for 10bit/log (will work for older bodies with blacklevel 1023 as well)
* 12bit/log with bmcc like data (hopefully we're coming to an lovely workflow with premiere)

as is mentioned before, Resolve 10 is no longer a problem, so i dont want to "improve" any things there. speedgrade is working as well - but premiere and the dynamiclink-workflow lacks of being consistent/stable .

(happy new year - and: magiclantern rocked this year, so all my technical love goes to the ml-crew that made this happen)

regards chmee

pind

thnx chmee works like a charm!!! :D

Can i ask if i need to tick partymode?

Should i tick TIF Model Tag ?

thank you

My first RAW with ML  --->  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvztBDW2mWc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUppNuhISexbdjO8Rg-3YbBA 5D3 + ML Canon 28-70mm f2.8 17-35mm f2.8

chmee

@pind the partymode is for better pictures in premiere, "could" also help in resolve and speedgrade, but it worked without it - its up to you. the TIF Model Tag is for using profiles in ACR, leave it untouched if you dont need it.

pind

Quote from: chmee on January 04, 2014, 10:18:39 AM
@pind the partymode is for better pictures in premiere, "could" also help in resolve and speedgrade, but it worked without it - its up to you. the TIF Model Tag is for using profiles in ACR, leave it untouched if you dont need it.

Thank you
My first RAW with ML  --->  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvztBDW2mWc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUppNuhISexbdjO8Rg-3YbBA 5D3 + ML Canon 28-70mm f2.8 17-35mm f2.8

1%

Freddy2142

Hey,
I made a small GUI for "RAW2DNG".
You can download and test it here (Adfly) or here (Direct).
If there are any bugs/problems PM me, thanks.

Screenshots

Changelog:

Version 1.1:
- some bugs fixed
- add "Export DNG's to RAW file folder"

Version 1.2:
- some bugs fixed
- 500% faster

ulysnep

Quote from: Freddy2142 on January 05, 2014, 04:07:36 PM
Hey,
I made a small GUI for "RAW2DNG".
You can download and test it here.

If there are any bugs/problems PM me, thanks.

Screenshots

This is AWESOME! Thanks for putting this together Freddy!

Would it be possible to have an option to export the DNG files to the Raw file folder?

Many thanks again!

Freddy2142

Quote from: ulysnep on January 13, 2014, 01:38:23 AM
Would it be possible to have an option to export the DNG files to the Raw file folder?

Here is the updated version: Adfly or Direct

arturochu

nice work here, hope to see native support for mlv format and dual iso mlv format somewhere in the near feature.
Chu

arturochu

tried to use latest version with a bunch of mlv files, and the app crashed. bummer.
Chu

arturochu

i was kind of wrong, it did convert all of the .mlv files to the .raw extension, it crashes when i clicked the convert to dng files.
Chu

pind

Quote from: arturochu on January 16, 2014, 07:46:48 AM
i was kind of wrong, it did convert all of the .mlv files to the .raw extension, it crashes when i clicked the convert to dng files.

i had some crashes with this too, so i used this tehnique

Import your raw files from CF card to Data storage (HDD) and after you do this take one raw file out from HDD and convert.. when this will work click on other 50Gigz of raw files you have (on your 64GB CF card) and convert all ... thats what i do and dont have crashes...

Malex

Can we hope for a 1.5 version that works with MLV+sound, and still works with .RAW also...? :-)

Eran

Quote from: Malex on January 20, 2014, 11:16:38 PM
Can we hope for a 1.5 version that works with MLV+sound, and still works with .RAW also...? :-)

That's a good point and could save us some time on the workflow.

chmee

Yes, you can hope for a MLV-Version - sound is not on my primary list, but it would make less sense doing it without the audio part :) please be patient some more days. you're not forgotten..

regards chmee

katerlouis

I read the last 5 sites now. I'm sure I missed why the discussion on the pink cast in premiere with CDNG files was dropped.
Does your app Raw2CDNG fix the problem so we have access to ACR when importing files to Premiere?

Currently im using RAWMagic with some kind of Ae workaround since my director needs to do many animations and effects in Ae anyways.
Question unanswered to me yet is 8-bit, 10-bit, 12-bit thing-

Do we at least have the full RAW quality in Ae?

Thx for getting me on track :)

Canon eos m

Could some one please help. I can convert raw footage easy with raw2cdng but cannot do this for mlv_dump files despite mlv_dump being enabled. Read chmee's website and instructions but cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

chmee

@canon eos m
the more you tell about the problem, the faster you can get real help :)

* if you drag/drop mlv-files, the tool starts immediately with converting to raw.
* these temporarily converted raw-files should lay inside the raw2cdng-folder. you see them?
* after that you should see the filename and main specs of the footage in the application-filelist. do they? are they ok?
* they behave as normal raw-files (because they are :)

But, i need some help of you, guys. i'm kind of desperated, because of the adobe-behaviour. my goal was to get a functional import into premiere (still it is) - importing into speedgrade and resolve isn't anymore a problem, it works. i thought of writing a standalone-2tif-converter(16bit) with built in ssd-demosaicing. biggest drawback is the monstrous filesize-increase, but the usability straight inside premiere could be worth it. by now, i'm stucked, and ml-raw seems to me like a "proof of concept" with a big impact on the professional vendors/scene/market, but less benefit for the workhorse, doin its job. simply i think, cdng is/was the wrong choice.. actually i rather go h.264-vanilla because of the instant workability.

so finally, whats your thoughts about efficient workflow? staticaly converting with ACR is not (imho).

regards chmee

Canon eos m

I am beginning to feel the same way - H.264 codec (with the .mov container) pretty much rules for casual / leisure recording.

I just got back from vacation with my family and recorded both H.264 and mlv video. The mlv video runs into 100's of MB and I don't know what to do with it now. I have been searching for a good workflow to sort the files out and render the video's but nothing seems easy. But then ML is not for those that are not ready to toil and sweat it out.

I consider (IMHO) raw_rec as a better option than mlv_rec (if you are not relying on raw_rec for sound recording).  I also prefer H.264 over ML video (both raw and mlv) in most situations. If I want to record professionally then the extra effort will be worth it ... else H.264 quality if fine for now.

Most frustrating is not being able to use premier pro to collate the dng's as this is the first and essential step for a rewarding dynamic exchange between after effect and speedgrade.

My workflow for now is:

1. View the mlv's on 'mlvrawviewer'
2. Convert mlv using 'mlvconverter' (now want to use 'raw2cdng' but struggling a bit with mlv conversion). I think hereafter I will work more with raw_rec rather than mlv_rec.
3. Collate the files on AE CC and then transfer on PPRO CC for editing. Bring back to AE CC for effects /Speedgrade for grading, etc. and finally render with PPRO CC.

Everything else seems to be a waste of time. 

Edit: I read that PPRO CC supports Blackmagic's version of DNG. Is it possible for the developers to somehow tinker with the Canon metadata during conversion to replicate the BM DNG specs. This will then make them readable to PPRO CC. Adobe has really let us down. DNG is an Adobe creation but .......

Canon eos m

Quote from: chmee on February 03, 2014, 11:18:23 AM
@canon eos m
the more you tell about the problem, the faster you can get real help :)

* if you drag/drop mlv-files, the tool starts immediately with converting to raw.
* these temporarily converted raw-files should lay inside the raw2cdng-folder. you see them?
* after that you should see the filename and main specs of the footage in the application-filelist. do they? are they ok?
* they behave as normal raw-files (because they are :)

But, i need some help of you, guys. i'm kind of desperated, because of the adobe-behaviour. my goal was to get a functional import into premiere (still it is) - importing into speedgrade and resolve isn't anymore a problem, it works. i thought of writing a standalone-2tif-converter(16bit) with built in ssd-demosaicing. biggest drawback is the monstrous filesize-increase, but the usability straight inside premiere could be worth it. by now, i'm stucked, and ml-raw seems to me like a "proof of concept" with a big impact on the professional vendors/scene/market, but less benefit for the workhorse, doin its job. simply i think, cdng is/was the wrong choice.. actually i rather go h.264-vanilla because of the instant workability.

so finally, whats your thoughts about efficient workflow? staticaly converting with ACR is not (imho).

regards chmee

Still no luck chmee! I am missing a crucial step here. Not sure what else I can do. But will keep trying  ;) till I get it. Will let you know once I succeed.  :)