The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

All of my projects are WPF, and I've never had it not catch anything. I actually capture most exceptions one level higher from the thread's dispatcher (a few slip through the cracks and reach the AppDomain handler though, at that point, the app is probably going to have to terminate, catching at the thread dispatcher and you can mark it 'handled' and keep going). http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.application.dispatcherunhandledexception(v=vs.110).aspx

Creating handlers for these two events is the first thing I do when I start writing a new program.

Any particular reason you are still using forms?

g3gg0

thanks for that hint :)

> Any particular reason you are still using forms?
it's because it is "simple" and most likely being handled well by mono.
plus maybe because my visual studio professional license is quite old and i have the fear that WPF in .net 3.x is not good enough.

and the most important of all: my gut feeling says no :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

chmee

@dmilligan
i simply didnt started to "convert myself" into wpf. so, i didnt thought, it could be a drawback in this project.

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

dmilligan

You're welcome ;)

WPF in 3.5 is actually fairly decent (main thing missing is DataGrid). MVVM is incredibly powerful paradigm once you get to know it. I use the WAF (WPF Application Framework), it's extremely modular.

I'd love to help with some C# stuff since that is actually my area of expertise, but I don't have access to a Windows computer and Visual Studio outside of work.

g3gg0

Quote from: dmilligan on November 25, 2013, 11:05:59 PM
I'd love to help with some C# stuff since that is actually my area of expertise, but I don't have access to a Windows computer and Visual Studio outside of work.

you are welcome to add a monodelop project file or whatever you prefer ;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

reddeercity

Quote from: chmee on November 25, 2013, 09:10:42 AM
@reddeercity You're using the 1.4.6 with debug-output. please copy/paste the debug-log into a pastebin.

I'm sure howto use & copy in to a "pastebin"

Here the log info by my Drop Box

There was more 8 spitting file actually 11 plus the .raw make that 12.
but only reported 8. run it then program crashed
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0j0i7gsofz16guk/raw2cdng_multi_file_crash_debug.log

this was after i join manually total of 46GB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/npe51sf3vz8kzcc/raw2cdng_single-46GB-file_debug.log

painya

How long would it take to incorporate an option to create a proxy video? That would be awesome, and maybe you and the developer of rawanizer could exchange code.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

chmee

@reddeercity
thanks. i think i know where the problem is. patch in the evening.

@painya
jpg-filesequence is prepared. one of the next patches.

regards chmee

Fringuello

Where exhaust look-files for the lumetri-effect?
Italy - canon 7D

chmee

as i now tested, the .look file i made won't work in premiere. so i read about the iridas ilut-scripting and compatible formats.
http://doc.iridas.com/index.php?title=LUT_Formats

put the code into a textfile, name it "NameItAsYouWant.cube" (ending .cube is important). its a very simple 3d-lut and i just played around for 15-20 minutes, its far from perfect, but a first insight into the lumetri-thing.
TITLE "5DIII N"

LUT_3D_SIZE 2

DOMAIN_MIN 0.315 0.0 0.158
DOMAIN_MAX 0.47 0.49 0.52

-0.2 -0.2 -0.2
1.2 -0.2 -0.2
-0.2 1.2 -0.2
1.2 1.2 -0.2
-0.2 -0.2 1.2
1.2 -0.2 1.2
-0.2 1.2 1.2
1.2 1.2 1.2

use it with the lumetri effect and push with contrasts-effects. justify the black- and whitelevels with the Domain- values for r g and b. in small steps please :) regards chmee

chmee

the good news:
Yeah. It works. Without some strange LUTs and Precomposings. Straight inside Premiere. Files do well in Resolve, Photoshop/ACR and Speedgrade too.

the bad news:
Not online today ;) some small bugs inside.

regards chmee

chmee

reddeercity

Hi Chmee  :)
I take the new Cdng for a test drive and thing are much better.
I have only done  3 test to date,
First, i still can't Link out of Premiere Pro to Speed Grade, it just Crashes.
But if you import the Cdng in to Speed Grade that works,
So far the setting that works for me (i will need more testing) is
Party mode on Gamma 1.0, at that you still need to do a fair bit of adjustment.
It take a little time to remove the some Pink cast at the high end & some Green cast at the Low end.
then i find if you use the speed grade gamma 2.2 ilut it put it in line .
Found that under the timeline options "setup" in the Calibration box .

So are still Getting the Full 16bit, CDNG or is it a Proxy file that adobe is using ?
Because it still look very flat and dose not have the same high fidelity image that i see in AE or FCPX.
:)

chmee

i thought, coding a gamma-corrector/curve would optimize the flat-amount, but it it does not. it turns into red'ish or blue/greenish cast. seems, that the cdng-alogorithm of premiere (*A) has an "optimized" to somewhat-blackmagic-log-curve and (*B) it crops the 8bit to video-range. i will start a cdng-discussion in the adobe forums - its not clear for me, what they have coded..

gamma 2.2 - thanks for finding.

regards chmee

reddeercity

Quote from: chmee on December 04, 2013, 07:01:44 AM
i thought, coding a gamma-corrector/curve would optimize the flat-amount, but it it does not. it turnes into red'is or blue/greenish cast. seems, that the cdng-alogorithm of premiere (*A) has an "optimized" to somewhat-blackmagic-log-curve and (*B) it crops the 8bit to video-range. i will start an cdng-discussion in the adobe forums - its not clear for me, what they have coded..

gamma 2.2 - thanks for finding.

regards chmee
Glad I could Help

mva

Hi, I'm trying to get started with raw2cdng, and can't get past the first step. I downloaded 1.4.6, extracted it to my desktop, double-clicked, and immediately get the message "raw2cdng has stopped working. Windows can check online... etc." I downloaded 1.3 and the same thing happened. I also tried dragging a raw file onto it like with raw2dng and got the same result. I must be making some dumb mistake. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

chmee

@mva
(1) Do you have .net4.0 installed?
(2) what OS? Windows-core or emulation/virtual system?
(as every time: more information leads to more accurate answer)

regards chmee

mva

Quote from: chmee on December 04, 2013, 12:37:09 PM
@mva
(1) Do you have .net4.0 installed?
(2) what OS? Windows-core or emulation/virtual system?
(as every time: more information leads to more accurate answer)

regards chmee
Hi chmee,
(1) I have "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile" installed
(2) Windows 7 64 bit (core, I suppose, since it's not running on another OS)

chmee

my tool is writing/reading settings-data inside the users/appdata-folder. Did you tried running the tool as administrator? (right-click)

mva

Yes, I had tried running as an administrator. No difference.

Not sure this will help, but these are "problem details" I can view when I get the error message:

Well, chmee, thanks anyway for trying. Looks like there may be something quirky going on with my computer.

chmee

(A) please look into this folder:
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming

There should be a file named
raw2cdng.settings.json

if not, create an empty one. (Thats the only file that "couldnt be found" on app-start.)

(B) if this file exists, look if there's an entry named
debugLogEnabled
{"outputPath":"C:\\","uniqueName":"Canon EOS 5D Mark III","debugLogEnabled":true,"debugLogFile":"C:\\Users\\chmee\\Documents\\Visual Studio 2010\\Projects\\raw2cdng\\raw2cdng\\bin\\Debug\\raw2cdng_debug.log","gamma":1,"maximizeEnabled":true}
(this is my example settings-file here on this laptop. Try to put this data into the file. Change the debugLogFile value into a useful path :)

(C) You extracted the path from the zip? really? :)

regards chmee

mva

(A) raw2cdng.settings.json wasn't in the folder you asked me to check. Unfortunately, however, I don't know how to create an empty file. :( (I did some Googling but found too many different answers mixed with too much uncertainty.) Can you tell me how to do that? Is it done from a command prompt?

(C) Since I sometimes just drag files out of WinRAR without properly extracting them, I tried again making sure I extracted it properly, and had the same problem.

EDIT: chmee, I saw your post following this one (#397), and I'll reply soon. Want to do some reading and testing, and I'm a bit busy now to do it. Thanks!

chmee

Open the folder, right click and use -> "new" -> textdocument. i hope, you have switched off hiding extensions.
-> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10570-file-extensions-hide-show.html

It seems, my app does not have the permission to write this file.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

regards chmee

mva

chmee, I really appreciate your help, but I think I'm going to give up for now. Creating the empty file as you suggested didn't work. I tried the app on two other computers running Windows 7 64-bit in my house, and weirdly it immediately crashed each time on those too, even when running it as an administrator. I haven't had this problem with any other program/app/tool so there's something quirky going on. I Googled "System.IO.FileNotFoundException crash" and found lots of descriptions of problems similar to what I'm experiencing, with people being advised to try all sorts of things which don't work (including reinstalling .net 4.0), but I couldn't find anything I wanted to try, partly because I don't want to spend more time on this now. So I think I'll just periodically retry the app (e.g., after Windows updates) in hope that the problem has gone away, but for the time being I guess I'll be sticking entirely with DNGs. Thanks again.

chmee

@mva
can i ask you, if you're from a country with "abnormal" characters or did you try to change the location of the app? root folder of a harddisk for example? but non the less, for me as well an interesting thing.

Beyond that, the adobe-Forum is quite strange, on "our" part of dng-discussion they only've got the thinking, no, it seems, its not planned to open the native dng-support to other files than bmcc.. where the heck is the idea of the "widely-universal-photographic/filmdata-format"? DNG is not.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1326153?tstart=0

edit: i think, this is the main answer:
QuoteCinemaDNG is a huge spec, we targeted getting the colours correct from the BlackMagic camera first.

regards chmee