The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hookah

5D3, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4 + 100mm 2.8 macro + 15mm

chmee

@hookah (good find)
Now its important to find out, if this premiere-lumetri-LUT is used before baking into 8bit - that means finally, you're able to highlight/shadow-recover and prevent banding issues, shortly benefiting the 14bit-bitdepth via effects/looks prepared in speedgrade. And then its not 100% fine, but it makes all the ae/converter-things obsolete.

mfg chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

mrnv45

i cant seem to get a good upload.. youtube always makes my videos look like shit.  why?

CinematicSyndicate

hookah & chmee --  Just ran some tests with this LUT this evening. It appears the LUT offsets the magenta cast somewhat, but is still a workaround as I'm getting some harsh banding and bizarre coloration. I see a greenish frame before my media loads, so it's acting like another intermediate color corrector which is another summing operation on the raw data, further destroying it. When I apply further image adjustment it just gets worse. This LUT is, however, useful as a temporary workaround - and chmee you pretty much nailed the color balance, whatever you used.

In terms of the differences between the BMCC CDNG and ML CDNG that EOSHD pointed out, is there a way to populate those fields with dummy or equivalent data to 'trick' premiere into seeing the correct color matrix?

This reminds me of what happens when I try to view 5D3 CR2 files in a lesser photo program like Picasa - EXACT SAME pink cast. Perhaps there's something there worth taking a look at?

I'm committed to helping you guys solve this! It will be a HUGE breakthrough and I'm convinced it will revolutionize the world of RAW.....dun dun dun

chmee

@CinematicSyndicate yesterday i tried an evening shot, and it behaves quite bad in the shadows. of course we/ i will investigate further, but as i wrote: speedgrade does not react on the correction-tags of the dng. the .look we used is a colormatrix outside the dng instead of being embedded inside the dng. did you played in premiere with lumetri-layer or in speedgrade?

i'll try to nail the color-matrix to D50 or D65. and it seems i have to combine the standard colormatrix (of the body) with the additional colormatrix of the colorchecker-measurements.. AND every Canon-Sensor behaves different. 5DIII-Colormatrices on 50D-Footage will not work well.

ah, and i tried with the hunter-lut (its a cube-file) - it made it worse inside speedgrade (but as a LUT-layer it pushes the colors positively on my testcharts)

regards chmee

a1ex

Why not just subtract the black level from the raw data when generating the DNG? Since the video editor thinks it's always 0, you can try to make it 0.

So, set exif black level = 0, exif white level -= old_black, and for each raw pixel, p -= old_black.

chmee

worth a try, but
(a) is the calculated blacklevel 100% accurate?
(b) i assume, this is not the solution for the double-valued green-sensel (greencast)
(c) these data are no more useable in other software.
(d) whitelevel isnt read by speedgrade as well.

in terms of color-calibration, matrices and measurements i'm clueless, so now its poking in the dark. it's time for a colorchecker-superman :)

-> Here's a 1.3.3.BETA(!) with Blacklevel to zero-Switch. (ahh. theres a bug.its working wrong!) patience.
-> 1.3.3.1.BETA (it seems, there are sensels darker than blacklevel-value, its all crazy :D)

-> Here are 2 dng's from yesterday evening. They behave quite good in Photoshop/ACR, but i cant get the flowers back in speedgrade, kind of lack of "exposure compensation"

regards chmee

a1ex

Quote from: chmee on November 05, 2013, 10:46:26 AM
it seems, there are sensels darker than blacklevel-value, its all crazy :D

Ufraw simply clips them to black. The only disadvantage I can think of is that a noise reduction algorithm will no longer perform well in deep shadows, but if you expose correctly it shouldn't be a big problem.

chmee

wanted to avoid if-routines inside the converter-loops. thats been my thoughts  ;D

a1ex

BTW, I still get the same validation errors in your DNGs. I thought you already fixed these and still have problems.

I've explained why this error may trick a parser into using a wrong black level, so try solving this first.

chmee

EDIT : Sorry, a1ex, found the problem. :facepalm: instead of writing the "long" 4 into the whitebalance-type, it wrote it into scale. changes a lot, because on that tag speedgrade reacts *huhh*

patience.. i have to go work for 3 days in another town, i'll be back i promise :)

regards chmee

mrnv45

i must be exporting different.. cause when i play my master video.. and i play my premiere player... it looks so nice..

but once i get it on youtube it STILL looks like crap?

12mps render? an i doing anything wrong?

CinematicSyndicate

@mnrv45 - you should post that to a different forum topic since this one is dedicated to the ongoing discussion about properly decoding CDNG files in editing applications. See the PM I sent for more help :)

chmee

raw2cdng 1.4.0.Beta online

http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/

(!) It's experimental (!)
* by 99% stripped files won't work.
* optional reducing of blacklevel by 90%
* framerate fixed
* UniqueModelID now changeable
* multithreaded
* speedgradeCC-look inside
* readme inside

regards chmee

vikado

Quote from: mrnv45 on November 05, 2013, 10:50:39 PM

i must be exporting different.. cause when i play my master video.. and i play my premiere player... it looks so nice..

but once i get it on youtube it STILL looks like crap?

12mps render? an i doing anything wrong?
h264 or prores?
Quote from: chmee on November 08, 2013, 11:08:18 PM

(!) It's experimental (!)
* by 99% stripped files won't work.
* optional reducing of blacklevel by 90%
* framerate fixed
* UniqueModelID now changeable
* multithreaded
* speedgradeCC-look inside
* readme inside

regards chmee
awesome work chmee, i'll do some tests over the weekend
5d2 user

Andy600

I tried setting the Unique Model to 50D and it keeps giving me 50Dchmee :D . Other than that it seems to be working ok (Win7 64bit). ACR needs Camera Model Name for DCP to work correctly. It's currently set as Canon EOS PHR.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

chmee

:) lol. ok.

So i asked in another thread. what are the important nametags for ACR? UniqueCameraModel (0xC614) or Model (0x0110). Both maybe?

regards chmee

Andy600

Quote from: chmee on November 09, 2013, 11:45:01 PM
:) lol. ok.

So i asked in another thread. what are the important nametags for ACR? UniqueCameraModel (0xC614) or Model (0x0110). Both maybe?

regards chmee

For ACR 'model' is the important one. As raw_rec is hardcoded for daylight Can you maybe add WB as a selectable field? I usually pop off a still or 2 before hitting record so manually choosing ISO/WB etc would be very useful as you can refer to the still for exposure info.

BTW, 12bit DNGs look way better in Resolve than 14bit DNG. Thanks for keeping this going Chmee! :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

chmee

Quote from: Andy600 on November 10, 2013, 12:27:13 AM
For ACR 'model' is the important one. As raw_rec is hardcoded for daylight Can you maybe add WB as a selectable field? I usually pop off a still or 2 before hitting record so manually choosing ISO/WB etc would be very useful as you can refer to the still for exposure info.
it's already built in since 1.3.0 - just rename the cr2 into the same as your videofootage, it will be recognised and "measured!" wb will be taken. look into my blog description on 1.3.0 - http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/

Andy600

timbytheriver

Quote from: chmee on November 08, 2013, 11:08:18 PM

Hi Chmee

Sorry to be a dunce, but I don't know what I should put in the 'Unique Model' field. Also, when I try to drag a Raw file in, the app does nothing (all paths are set etc.). All previous versions of your great app have worked perfectly for me! Do I need to uninstall them first maybe?

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks

Win 7
5DMk2
Speedgrade / Premiere Pro
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

vaisse

Hi Chmee
thanks for your work

the version 1.4 o cdng crash when i start converting i have no problem with version 1.3
windows 7 64 bit

i hope you can help me
thanks

vaisse

ok it 's ok now i change the name of model
but i can put canon eos 6d but canon eos 5d mark iii is to long

thanks

chmee

@timbytheriver hmm. if you drag it does not appear in the list? does it appear but the values are strange?

vaisse thanks. i will lengthen the modelname to ~24 chars. and the modelname inputform is not very inutitive i think, will change that as well.

timbytheriver

@Chmee

Thanks for answering. It does appear in the list. But then when I press the button, the list entry turns red but doesn't process. The dng folder is created – but no files inside. :o

Also I'm really not sure what to put in the 'Unique model' box! Do you have an example I should use for my 5dMk2 please?

Thanks again for your work! :)

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2