The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mityazabuben

Hi. When I try to open a folder, where imported by raw2cdng files are located, in Resolve it hangs up and closed with error. What can be wrong? Im using 16bit linear and 15% white unchecked when importing. AE opens without problem.
Some example of DNGs:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2NWwDUimG9cOGEyOGEwMjUtZDYyNC00ZmUyLWIyZDgtMzhmNjE4ZWU5NTMy&usp=sharing

bnvm

I have seen green shifting with cdng's as well. I believe it is from incorrect color matrix data in the meta data. I tried a sequence in another app and got a green shift, setting the app to not use the color matrix fixed the issue. I guess it is possible that the magenta shifting is from the same issue.

vikado

im getting green fringing with the oct.4 build for my mk2.
but only on the 10-bit, but 12bit and 16bit are fine.
this is for the 1.3.0 version
5d2 user

mityazabuben

Quote from: mityazabuben on October 10, 2013, 01:21:31 PM
Hi. When I try to open a folder, where imported by raw2cdng files are located, in Resolve it hangs up and closed with error. What can be wrong? Im using 16bit linear and 15% white unchecked when importing. AE opens without problem.
Some example of DNGs:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2NWwDUimG9cOGEyOGEwMjUtZDYyNC00ZmUyLWIyZDgtMzhmNjE4ZWU5NTMy&usp=sharing
Resolve 10.b3 works fine.

chmee

after investing time and brain for work and other projects i'll spend next time back on raw2cdng and mlv2cdng. next days i'll analyze the color shifts. btw. 10bit log output is ONLY for bodies with blacklevel ~2048 - i think, in raw2cdng i'll code a selector depending on body if 10bit-output is enabled or not. (multithreaded transcoding almost done, will be in v1.3.5)

@bnvm
interesting opinion, i'll look if its true.

The crashes in beta 2 are confirmed by other users (in rawmagic-thread) - solved with beta 3 as said by mityazabuben.

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

vikado

Quote from: mityazabuben on October 10, 2013, 01:21:31 PM
Some example of DNGs:
i had the same issue.
do you have a graphics card installed?
if you do, turn off your integrated graphics chip in your bios.
i turned mines off and it solved the problem.
something about how resolve crashes if there's a gpu and integrated gpu both on.
5d2 user

DTSET123

Quoteafter investing time and brain for work and other projects i'll spend next time back on raw2cdng and mlv2cdng. next days i'll analyze the color shifts. btw. 10bit log output is ONLY for bodies with blacklevel ~2048 - i think, in raw2cdng i'll code a selector depending on body if 10bit-output is enabled or not. (multithreaded transcoding almost done, will be in v1.3.5)

Thank you Chmee! Your RAW2CDNG is a great solution, if you could fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated!

painya

Hello. with the October update of SpeedGrade the program doesn't want to handle them. Odd right? Premier does well with them, but SG just crashes. Any ideas?
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

chmee

because i'm no subscriber of Adobe, i've got no "new" adobe-apps. simply i can't check.
(but im thinkin' about it after reading some workflow-experiences)

eoshq

Quote from: chmee on November 01, 2013, 12:07:07 PM
because i'm no subscriber of Adobe, i've got no "new" adobe-apps. simply i can't check.
(but im thinkin' about it after reading some workflow-experiences)

chmee, As of right now, we have no way to use 5D3 DNG or CinemaDNG in the new Premiere Pro CC 7.1

DNG (with newest raw2dng) will not import because it says there is no metadata, stops dead on error without importing.

CDNG (with newest raw2cdng) imports but has a terrible pink cast which cannot be removed.

If there was some way around this via a new raw2cdng or raw2dng we would be very grateful for the chance to try this new workflow.

hookah

Quote from: eoshq on November 01, 2013, 06:04:38 PM
DNG (with newest raw2dng) will not import because it says there is no metadata, stops dead on error without importing.
Think thats because its 14bit.

Quote from: eoshq on November 01, 2013, 06:04:38 PM
CDNG (with newest raw2cdng) imports but has a terrible pink cast which cannot be removed.
Read more here about it: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9131.msg86286;topicseen#msg86286

5D3, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4 + 100mm 2.8 macro + 15mm

dude

As far as i can say from premiere cs6, it does not import any 14 bit files, except via dynamik link

a1ex

Does it import dual ISO files? (DNGs saved by cr2hdr - they are 16 bit)

dude

If you re talking about premiere cs6, i can try it if someone has a file for me

hookah

Quote from: a1ex on November 01, 2013, 06:48:04 PM
Does it import dual ISO files? (DNGs saved by cr2hdr - they are 16 bit)

nope, same error as when processing with raw2dng.. (would not take them at all - says "The file appears to have no media data")
So maybe its more a header (DNG vs CDNG) problem - than a 14bit vs 16bit thing (or could be a mix of both?)..
5D3, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4 + 100mm 2.8 macro + 15mm

chmee

In raw2cdng 1.3 there is the chance to import the whitebalance-data from a taken cr2-photo. did you tried that? did it changed the colors? description is in blog entry. http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/

regards chmee

hookah

Quote from: chmee on November 01, 2013, 07:43:47 PM
In raw2cdng 1.3 there is the chance to import the whitebalance-data from a taken cr2-photo. did you tried that? did it changed the colors? description is in blog entry. http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/

regards chmee

Yep, tried that - did not remove the pinky stuff :-)

But if i change the bit depth to 10bit CDNG via your tool it looks better (easier to fix)  8)

chmee

:D nevermind, decided to jump on the cc-train. so will check that. please be patient 8)

eoshq

Quote from: chmee on November 01, 2013, 08:28:34 PM
:D nevermind, decided to jump on the cc-train. so will check that. please be patient 8)

Great news, Thank you 1000 times for trying to help us.

I read today on the Adobe forum that they never even tried other cameras besides BMCC, but they did not tell anyone that until today. Adobe are the worst at deceptive marketing, they knew since the September 8th announcement that CinemaDNG support was only going to work with BMCC files. Despicable.

vikado

Quote from: chmee on November 01, 2013, 08:28:34 PM
awesome.
this is what you call dedication.
5d2 user

a1ex

Quote from: chmee on November 01, 2013, 07:43:47 PM
In raw2cdng 1.3 there is the chance to import the whitebalance-data from a taken cr2-photo. did you tried that?

It's not a WB issue, but a black level one. The Adobe editor reads the black level most likely as 0, instead of 1024 or 2048 or whatever the right value is.

My hypothesis: the metadata in the CDNG files is corrupted (e.g. having a wrong type for a tag can cause read errors on all subsequent tags in an IFD), and some parsers happen to get over it and others not, depending on how they choose to handle this error. If this is true, the problem is in the DNG converter, not on Adobe's side.

chmee

ahh, thanks. i used the validator long time ago.. generally i saw the problem on my side, of course.

jrumans

Quote from: hookah on October 08, 2013, 02:39:46 PM
- a shame that ARC is not available as in AE.

Have you tried right clicking on the dng and clicking "Edit Original"?  It opens ACR for me.

Sometimes you have to go out on a limb to get the fruit.

eoshq

Quote from: jrumans on November 02, 2013, 05:28:42 AM
Have you tried right clicking on the dng and clicking "Edit Original"?  It opens ACR for me.

And what does this accomplish? Absolutely nothing! Sure it will open the first cdng file of the sequence in Photoshop hosted camera raw, but it doesn't do anything to help this pink cast situation. What is the point of your posting this? Do you not try things before you post about them on a forum?

reddeercity