The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vikado

my workflow is as follow.
RAW>raw2cdng>CDNG sequence>Resolve>premiere>Resolve for final render

anyone know a way to properly white balance in ACR?
the method i saw on Resolve is rubbish.
5d2 user

sarotaz

Quote from: vikado on July 09, 2013, 11:09:07 PM

you can use adobe cinema dng importer (for adobe premiere cs 5.5 but it works with cs6 too) for import your cdng sequences in premiere. After you edit your movie, you can import xml and conform your sequence in Resolve then grading and finally render.

mageye

Quote from: vikado on July 09, 2013, 11:09:07 PM

anyone know a way to properly white balance in ACR?
the method i saw on Resolve is rubbish.

I don't know how you are white balancing in ACR?, but if there is a reliable reference white in the frame then you can use the picker tool at the top.

My white balance is a more involved process. I try to take an image of a dedicated white card/grey card. I am only using one of the cheaper ones, but they seem to be as accurate as I need them to be.

I will usually take a normal shot of the white card (as a photo)in the light conditions that I am in and then use that for the following videos in that light by saving the white balance collected from that image (as a preset).

Also I try to get a white balance for every single shot but that can just be too time consuming and frankly it's not something you can do for every single shot, every time.
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

hjfilmspeed

The 10bit log mode is a lot of fun!!! has a real nice filmic look to it.

vikado

Quote from: sarotaz on July 09, 2013, 11:46:45 PM
you can use adobe cinema dng importer (for adobe premiere cs 5.5 but it works with cs6 too) for import your cdng sequences in premiere. After you edit your movie, you can import xml and conform your sequence in Resolve then grading and finally render.
where do i download this importer?
so this workflow is RAW>>ACDI>>premiere>>resolve?
there's no use of proxy files?
this seems like an easier way as i dont have to do no goofy roundtripping.

Quote from: mageye on July 10, 2013, 01:21:45 AM
I don't know how you are white balancing in ACR?, but if there is a reliable reference white in the frame then you can use the picker tool at the top.

My white balance is a more involved process. I try to take an image of a dedicated white card/grey card. I am only using one of the cheaper ones, but they seem to be as accurate as I need them to be.

I will usually take a normal shot of the white card (as a photo)in the light conditions that I am in and then use that for the following videos in that light by saving the white balance collected from that image (as a preset).

in ACR, i change "As shot" to "Auto".
it does a fantastic job of white balancing.
unless there's a more "pro" manual route.

Quote from: mageye on July 10, 2013, 01:21:45 AM
Also I try to get a white balance for every single shot but that can just be too time consuming and frankly it's not something you can do for every single shot, every time.
in my last shoot, we used a calibration target in conjunction with the slate for every take in a scene.
the calibration target was used to denoise footage in post. (i used neatvideo to denoise the footage).
obviously using the target for every take would be a pain in the ass, but we soon learned that using the target only on the first set of takes in a new scene was sufficient.
we only used the target in a new scene. not necessarily all takes of the same scene.
hope i explained it clearly.

edit:in new scene, i meant not new camera angle, i mean new physical scene (i.e., outdoors to indoor, or other room)
5d2 user

vikado

wait, does premiere convert these files to 8-bit or does it retain the 12-bit color space when i process the raw files in raw2CDNG?
5d2 user

sarotaz

Quote from: vikado on July 10, 2013, 03:02:32 AM
where do i download this importer?
so this workflow is RAW>>ACDI>>premiere>>resolve?
there's no use of proxy files?
this seems like an easier way as i dont have to do no goofy roundtripping.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26702029/cinemadng_p4_cs5-5importer_060211.zip

I've tested it with premiere cs6 and a short example sequence from blackmagic cinema camera and works perfect.

Follow this tutorial. You can adjust white-balance, black point, white point ecc. like ACR.  :)

Hope this helps.

vikado

Quote from: sarotaz on July 10, 2013, 09:18:29 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26702029/cinemadng_p4_cs5-5importer_060211.zip

I've tested it with premiere cs6 and a short example sequence from blackmagic cinema camera and works perfect.

Follow this tutorial. You can adjust white-balance, black point, white point ecc. like ACR.  :)

Hope this helps.

thanks!
just tried this myself.
everything is fine except for realtime playback. it chugs along. resolution at 1880x800 @ 12bit.
the same sequence plays fine on resolve but its having a difficult time in premiere.
i've tried cs5.5 and CC. and its the same.
i have a modest i7 2600k OC at 4.9ghz, 32GB 1600 memory.
i've edited R3D 5k footage before as a 1080p sequence on premiere and my computer has had no issues crunching those files.

i just wanted access to ACR in my workflow for proper balance and noise reduction. :/
plus premiere converts these to 8-bit color space, this wont be acceptable in the silver screen.
bummer.
5d2 user

DTSET123

I thought that was a 8 bit importer  :o
I tried to import 12 bit footage and it could't do so- I wonder what I did wrong?

pascal

Hi, thank you very much for this fine software.
Which bit depth do I need to choose for ML raw on 5D3? Thank you.

scarluuk

Just found a way so that Davinci Resolve Recognizes CinemaDNG sequences while they still remain in the folder where all the files are.
This makes it a lot easier sorting and browsing trough your video's without having to open an extra folder before you can see it.
I don't know if i'm terribly late with this discovery or one of the first but just wanted to share it with you guys.
You can see what i mean in this picture:

This saves a lot of time and frustration, now i don't have to put all the CinemaDNG files from different video's in one folder so i could browse through them.
What i did was take the name of the folder of a shoot i did with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera and just renamed one of my 5D RAW map names to this new one.

Edit: Just scraped a lot of my findings since i just found out that all you have to do is add a C befor the last four numbers.
Example, if your file is called "M16-2227" all you have to do is change it to "M16-C2227" and Davinci Recognizes it as a movie instead of a folder
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision.
Canon 5D mark III / Canon 24-105mm F4L IS / Samyang 14mm T3.1 / Samyang 24mm T1.5 / Canon 50mm F1.4 / Samyang 85mm T1.5

sarotaz

@chmee

any news for bad pixel opcode tag in your converter?

fatpig

@scarluuk:
I dont have to change anything in the names, and can use the CDNG folders in resolve rightaway.

scarluuk

Quote from: fatpig on July 11, 2013, 11:05:03 AM
@scarluuk:
I dont have to change anything in the names, and can use the CDNG folders in resolve rightaway.

It's a bit hard to explain for me, English isn't my native language.
Adding the C makes Resolve interpret the folder as a clip instead of a folder.
Normally you have to open the folder the see the clip, now you can see the folder itself as a clip so it's easyer to browse through your clips.
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision.
Canon 5D mark III / Canon 24-105mm F4L IS / Samyang 14mm T3.1 / Samyang 24mm T1.5 / Canon 50mm F1.4 / Samyang 85mm T1.5

Midphase

Quote from: vikado on July 10, 2013, 08:26:08 PM
everything is fine except for realtime playback. it chugs along. resolution at 1880x800 @ 12bit.
the same sequence plays fine on resolve but its having a difficult time in premiere.
i've tried cs5.5 and CC. and its the same.
i have a modest i7 2600k OC at 4.9ghz, 32GB 1600 memory.
i've edited R3D 5k footage before as a 1080p sequence on premiere and my computer has had no issues crunching those files.

It appears as though the CinemaDNG import "experimental" plugin is no longer available from Adobe. They cite poor real-time performance as the primary reason for pulling the plugin from the Labs section.

I too have had a great deal of positive experience working with .r3d files within Premiere, even on an aging 1st gen Mac Pro with no Mercury acceleration. It seems that if Resolve is able to provide realtime or near-realtime playback of these files, Premiere Pro should too.

Please consider sending Adobe a feature request, the more they hear from our community, the more likely they are to revisit the functionality.

Midphase

Quote from: scarluuk on July 12, 2013, 06:57:49 PM
Adding the C makes Resolve interpret the folder as a clip instead of a folder.

You sure about this? If I add a C to the name, I can't get Resolve to see anything. Is this a Mac/PC thing?

I can't  get it to work, all I know is that the way it works without the C seems pretty efficient and fast.

Anisotropic

Try to new Resolve 9.1.5, in changelog they wrote "Improved DNG format support". maybe this was fixed.

sarotaz

Quote from: Anisotropic on July 13, 2013, 07:36:08 AM
Try to new Resolve 9.1.5, in changelog they wrote "Improved DNG format support". maybe this was fixed.

THANKS!! New version of resolve read dng sequence from raw2dng!

pascal

I experienced crashes with raw2cdng when coverting some raw movies from 5D3.

chmee

Hey there, back from holiday (picture?):) So.. where to start. With the important thing: With resolve 9.15 support of 14bit dng's i dont see any need paying more attention to my app. (i'm a bit puzzled, blackmagic did that - thought, they have some more important things to code and to distant their own camera - but finally they get more users with this decision.) if there's no real pro argument, v1.2.1 will stay the last one :)

@pascal - no infos, no help.

@all - thanks to all, especially them used my tool.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Andy600

Quote from: chmee on July 14, 2013, 05:08:40 PM
Hey there, back from holiday :) So.. where to start. With the important thing: With resolve 9.15 support of 14bit dng's i dont see any need paying more attention to my app. (i'm a bit puzzled, blackmagic solved that - thought, they have some more important things to code and to distant their own camera - but finally they get more users with this decision.) if there's no real pro argument, v1.2.1 will stay the last one :)

Hi Chmee - Welcome back! :)

Even with the Resolve update there are still benefits to using your app. It's simple to use for a start. The 12bit compression is useful for saving space and I like being able to convert from the card to a HD folder without copying the raw files. I hope you continue developing it.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

IliasG

Hey there, back from holiday (picture?):) So.. where to start. With the important thing: With resolve 9.15 support of 14bit dng's i dont see any need paying more attention to my app. (i'm a bit puzzled, blackmagic did that - thought, they have some more important things to code and to distant their own camera - but finally they get more users with this decision.) if there's no real pro argument, v1.2.1 will stay the last one :)

Well come back.

I was expecting you back on July 17 so I didn't upload a pack of LUTs (I added 12bit log also) which are ready. I just want to do some refining and maybe include linearization to 14bit now that Resolve supports it.  If nothing goes wrong I 'll upload in the next 12 hours.

Do the new Resolve support losslessly compressed DNGs as those we take after running through Adobe DNG converter ?.

I think 10bit log (and 12bit) losslesly compressed is a great space saver. Everyone needs it.

pascal

Hi, I wasn't sure if someone was interested in details. Thanks for your interest.
I uploaded a RAW file that crashes the program upon processing.

http://www.speedyshare.com/XQHVT/M13-1629.RAW
(click on Download: M13-1629.RAW on top)

PS: there is no option in raw2cdng for 14 bit DNG? 10, 12, 16, what does ML Raw need?

chmee

@andy600 thx appreciate that :)

@iliasG :D ok, so "our" benefit is the space saving :) beside the bugpatching the next bigger step will be finishing 10bit/log and 12bit/log with compression. fine fine :)

@pascal i removed 14bit, because it was not needed (it was in the first versions) - resolve couldnt handle that and apps like in the adobeworld dont need cdng (ok, speedgrade, but this one needs 10 12 or 16bit) - tomorrow i'll download your file and try to figure out, whats happening

@fatpig you're not forgotten.. but the cards now are reshuffled (is it a known english phrase? :)) - the users can use the official raw2dng to get into resolve - we try to optimize the filesizes without losing quality. to be honest, i have to learn/figureout about commandline how to implement it into an existing winform-app. ;)

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

pascal

Quote from: chmee on July 14, 2013, 11:14:30 PM
i removed 14bit, because it was not needed (it was in the first versions) - resolve couldnt handle that and apps like in the adobeworld dont need cdng (ok, speedgrade, but this one needs 10 12 or 16bit) - tomorrow i'll download your file and try to figure out, whats happening
Hmm I use DNG with Adobe. Why would Adobe users not need DNG?