The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chmee

@iaremrsir the decoded dngs will be saved on the location, where the raw-files are - so its no good idea to drag them straight from the card into the app. did you tested with a copy from a hdd?

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

iaremrsir

Quote from: chmee on June 30, 2013, 07:00:24 AM
@iaremrsir the decoded dngs will be saved on the location, where the raw-files are - so its no good idea to drag them straight from the card into the app. did you tested with a copy from a hdd?

regards chmee

I tried both ways, neither worked. I also tried turning off my security software to see if it might have been blocking functionality of the program because its happened before. But even then it still didn't work.

chmee

what camera, what version (date) of your raw-rec-modul? could you upload a short (and small) example file (~100mb), so that i can try it on my computer? it seems, something's different in your files..

!FOUND! something with the filenames/analyzing is wrong - if you rename them, they will be imported, but they dont work - bug, solved in the coming version.

v1.2.0 is out - splitted Files support
(*) you just have to drag the first (.RAW) file - app searches for split-files..
(*) i had to rewrite the bytestream-reader - so please tell, if there are bugs in "normal" non-splitted dng-rewrite-mode..
(*) filename bug fixed

http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/
(please test and give me some info if workin & bugs)

regards chmee

Yaros525

Windows 7 Pro x64 / NET 4 standalone directly from Microsoft installed.
Drag & Drop doesn't work for me. It just refuses to eat  my 5D2 raw. Is there other way to supply the files? Simple [Open] maybe?

Thnx for your work.

P.S. WinXP SP3 works just fine.

chmee

you've got 1.2.0?
is the drag-icon showing up? (throwing into listview!)
starting as administrator?

thread about dragndrop-problems in win7 -> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/drag-and-drop-not-working-in-windows-7/f6dcfa11-8c51-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Yaros525

Sure, 1.2.0
Got it. its lovely windows UAC. Once disabled, Drag & Drop works. But  ... I dont want it to be off permanently )

blackroom

thanks for this great utility!
sorry i'm lost with this: how do i get the 5D2 specific raw2dng (5D2_WIN_raw2dng) info to work with raw2cdng?
raw2cdng is showing 5D2 in the batchlist but the DNG reads as Canon EOS PHR in ACR with embedded profile.
is only meant to work with Resolve?
thanks again!

chmee

@Yaros is it working, if you start it as administrator (without disabling UAC)? - you can change your rights on this application as its starting every time with admin-rights - rightclick -> properties -> compatibility - check "run this program as an administrator"

@blackroom i read it the first time, there is a specific 5d2-version of raw2dng? if i know, what changes there are, i can give you an answer ;) but finally, if you're generally working with adobe-workflow (acr), there's no real benefit using raw2cdng. (ok, 12bit and 10bit|log :D but thats no benefit, if youre saving in 16bit tif..)

:)
QuoteIt adds Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II to the DNG
Is that all? Is there any benefit in ACR, if the Camera Model is set accordingly? "Canon EOS PHR" is just a footprint of me - PHR is short for PHReekz.de, my website :)

regards chmee

chmee

Please someone upload somewhere a short and small RAW-File with hot/deadpixels and link it here. I just 've got an idea :)

regards chmee

blackroom

aha cool, its your name! thanks for the reply! well one thing the camera profile can be loaded in ACR with the proper exif to set how it was shot , Neutral or Standard etc. so quicker to get to a place for FilmConvert profiles in AE, for instance.
i'm kinda between ACR / AE and resolve, just getting into da Davinci:)

iaremrsir

1.2.0 fixed drag and drop for me

DTSET123

Is there a fix for Speedgrade?

marekk

I will upload sample RAW file with hot pixels from 60D in the evening.

Quote from: chmee on June 30, 2013, 10:17:45 PM
Please someone upload somewhere a short and small RAW-File with hot/deadpixels and link it here. I just 've got an idea :)

regards chmee

chmee

@DTSET123 You mean the wrong whitebalance? so, first, try to set it manually. and then :) we're discussing saving whitebalance-point to the raws. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6779.0

regards chmee

fatpig

hey chmee, how about making an output folder option until commandline is finished?

I would love to just set my CF card as source and output to my project folder.
regards

chmee

@fatpig :) just started yesterday to implement this.. on the way.

IliasG

Quote from: chmee on June 27, 2013, 08:28:19 AM

raw2cdng v1.1.9 is online
- 10bit log is in (but experimental) - no linearizationtable (thx IliasG)
- naming conventions slightly changed
- fixed freezing gui

(!) 10bit log only works for bodies with blacklevel higher 2000 (!) next patch will have a lut for blacklevels around 1024 (!)

@IliasG
is your excel-calc that stable to calculate this lut by changing start values?

(lol. short test in resolve - 10bit/log is not looking that bad :) and hotpixels are gone in this one sample i have :D - if the red tint is too much, lower red gain to ~0.86 - but now its time to test the ability to grade and work with them - we squeezed all information into the 10bit - as a side advantage/drawback theres nearly no more data in blownout or dark parts of the picture - i dont really know if 10bit/log is a good grading base - possibly good for directly working in premiere/fcp/avid, after transcoding into a useable codec)

urgent on todoList for next days
- support of splitted files
- 10bit|log for blacklevel ~1024-bodies.

regards chmee

chmee, thanks for your work !!.

Sorry for the late responce, I was offline for a week.

Excel-calc should be stable (not 100% sure about this) for calculating on different black/white levels, only needs to pay attention on the details to have the smallest possible error at Black Level. It's easy (because the rec.709 gamma curve is linear there) by just increasing/decreasing the clipping point by 1-2 steps. I can give a hand on this as I have plenty of free time these days ..

About wrong colors .. don't bother with dirty corrections. Both WB and color matrices need to be applied on linear data or else we take strong color shifts. So we have to wait for the linearization table to be injected in exif data before we can make valuable tests. If this "injection" is a hard work there is a possibility we can surpass this need by a dedicated icc profile and use a converter which can make use of icc profiles (RawTherapee).

Talking about tests .. can you upload some RAW files which include dark and blown areas, made with the latest ML code ?. 

1%

The 6D white level shows at 15K... it should be 13K. Maybe there is a problem in raw.c code and the undef didn't work.

The 12 bit has been nice... lop off the least bits and it saves some space. Didn't see much impact in quality.. now if it zip compressed the dngs it would be all winner.

chmee

@iliasG i'd be happy if you would do the calculation for the 1024 blacklevel - the linearizationtable isnt a problem, it's prepared :)

@1% thx for the tests..

regards chmee

chmee

v1.2.1 is out - selectable Folder - setting will be stored, so it stays in app, until you abort while selecting folder. check-box for short disabling static folder and it will save the dng-folder as previous, in the same folder as the raw file is..

regards chmee

fatpig

thanks for implementing this so fast! :) great! :)

fatpig

1% mentioned zip compression. Is there a possibility for lossless compression like in Adobes DNG Converter? Remains directly editable.

chmee

if i finish 10bit|log, compression will be next. i have to read the dng-papers to look, whats possible.

( im a bit longer AFK, holiday-roundtrip to spain for 14 days)
Do your work, test, check and make some good videos :)

regards chmee

hjfilmspeed

1.2.1 and 1.2.0 are crashing on me. i converted a clip to test then i deleted the CinemaDNG the converted the same clip again and it  started crashing. Seems to be running slower to now. im not sure what happened. 1.1.9 still works for me. 1.2.1 and 1.2.0 crash after one clip finishes

I love your software though its amazing how you are able to this thank you!!!

Joachim Buambeki

Latest version is crashing on my Win8 64bit machine because of insufficient disk space, I haven't checked older versions but I suspect them to behave in the same way.
Maybe you could add an error message and/or a check if the needed space is available on the volume?

Keep up the good work chmee!