The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JulianH

Quote from: fatpig on June 23, 2013, 11:30:36 AM
are you aware that the progress bars lock after processing about 1/4th of the frames?
it still processes all of them, but the GUI greys out until its done if I click inside.
Same here (windows 7).

peoplemerge

OK I figured out the round trip for CinemaDNG raw, Premiere CC, Da Vinci Resolve Light!  The trick is to get the reel names consistent, I'm using the source clip path, by jumping through some hoops to rename the directories.  Details here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzgpIdoUqw

Andy600

Quote from: peoplemerge on June 24, 2013, 05:56:44 AM
OK I figured out the round trip for CinemaDNG raw, Premiere CC, Da Vinci Resolve Light!  The trick is to get the real names consistent, I'm using the source clip path, by jumping through some hoops to rename the directories.  Details here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzgpIdoUqw

Excellent! Very useful tutorial. Thanks :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

chmee

@peoplemerge great. nice finding. will try that. YOURE THE STAR OF THE DAY! workin! the important thing is the creation of the ReelNo in Resolve.

@fatpig thx. seems, i have to refresh the gui from time to time.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

iunknown

Great find peoplemerge.  Thanks so much for all the hard work you guys!

For everyone else, discription of the problem (reelno variable missing) at timestamp 7:11.

Jakobmen

Quote from: peoplemerge on June 24, 2013, 05:56:44 AM
OK I figured out the round trip for CinemaDNG raw, Premiere CC, Da Vinci Resolve Light!  The trick is to get the reel names consistent, I'm using the source clip path, by jumping through some hoops to rename the directories.  Details here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzgpIdoUqw

anyone try this on windows yet ?

trying to get home to try it lol  ;D
Canon 5D3

swaneon

I'm on windows 8 and I can't use drag/drop at all it seems like
does anyone have a solution?

iunknown

chmee

@swaneon is drag and drop a general problem on your computer/win8? maybe thats a solution?
http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/nipuntomar/drag-drop-not-working-in-windows-8/

fatpig

@chmee:
is the roundtrip something that can be solved in future versions of raw2cdng or do we have to follow these steps every time from now on?
(at work, cant watch right now)

chmee

hmm. i wrote in another thread, i tried a simple xml-roundtrip with blackmagic-CC-Files - it failed the same way as with canon-cdng's. the bmcc-files also had no ReelNo - so, my assumption is, if filename/path/reelName isn't 100% in right order (for resolve) it fails.. i built it in reelname, framerate and timecode and it didnt helped. by now the oneclick in the settings for the reelNo-generation is a no-brainer. for myself i will leave this roundtrip-salvation and make it a sidejob, because its too easy to solve..

todolist 25.06.2013
(*) 10bit log (nearly ready, maybe tonight for first testing)
(*) splitted files support (try to solve it today as well)
(*) vertical banding
(*) compression
(*) command line
(*) threading for multi-cpu-support

(-) dragndrop problems in win8 (or leaving till command line is working)

regards chmee

peoplemerge

Quote from: chmee on June 25, 2013, 06:26:43 PM
the bmcc-files also had no ReelNo - so, my assumption is, if filename/path/reelName isn't 100% in right order (for resolve) it fails.. i built it in reelname, framerate and timecode and it didnt helped. by now the oneclick in the settings for the reelNo-generation is a no-brainer. for myself i will leave this roundtrip-salvation and make it a sidejob, because its too easy to solve..

Is it true that you can add the reel number into cdng metadata?  Otherwise creating distinct folders would take out half of the pain of this process.

Just throwing out ideas, but you might leave it up to the user to multi select [and append the name]:
[ ] use the raw file sequence (eg M0000000) - though this is not sufficient since we can expect the user to want to use clips from multiple cards and they reset to M0000000 when you power down ML.
[ ] use some string
[ ] use the file creation time of the rawfile
[ ] use the current time

Quote from: chmee on June 25, 2013, 06:26:43 PM
(*) vertical banding
(*) compression
(*) command line
(*) threading for multi-cpu-support

Vertical banding ++ !!!
What do you have in mind for compression?

sarotaz

On 60D still not working 100%  :( I hope you can include bad pixel opticode...in my case cdng files after conversion have black and hot pixel  :(

chmee

@peoplemerge since v1.1.8 there is reelname, framerate and timecode written in the cdng-header - but reelname is not shown in resolve, like the bmcc-files as well. In consistency with edl CMX3600 the reelname is only 8 uppercase-chars or numbers long - with v1.2.0 the path will be named with a timedate (dont know if timestamp or humanreadable ymdhm) before the reelname. the file will be reelname.sequencenumber.dng - simply. i decided this way, because the roundtrip-solution is so simple, i care more of readable file-structure than of (possible) reelno-understanding by resolve - as i said the bmcc werent recognised as well (link to the thread)

btw - m00000.raw is no filenaming-convention anymore - with the newer versions of rec_raw its written
mXX-YYYY.raw - f.e. M35-6148.raw

@sarotaz there is no guarantee, its working, but i will give it a try. badpixel-operations and recognition are no must of cdng-decoders.

regards chmee

swaneon

Quote from: chmee on June 25, 2013, 07:47:45 AM
@swaneon is drag and drop a general problem on your computer/win8? maybe thats a solution?
http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/nipuntomar/drag-drop-not-working-in-windows-8/
I tried that and the interesting thing is that every other program is fine with Drag + Drop—only raw2cdng does not work

chmee

@swaneon thx for info - will figure that out - but have no win8 here ;)
tried to run the app as administrator? some coder write, its about UAC..

regards chmee

fatpig

great todo-list! Exactly what I hoped for. :)

As for the drag n drop,
when commandline is implemented, people can use different GUIs like RAWanizer and BATCHelor.

I am looking forward to input and output path parameters and compression.
I can imagine that we would use our CF card as input on set and just save the (compressed?) DNGs to the laptops HDD as output, saving time and space. :)

swaneon

got drag and drop to work

downloaded and tried 1.1.2 and it worked
then tried 1.1.6 and that worked
then retried 1.1.8 and it works!

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: chmee on June 25, 2013, 08:02:33 PM

btw - m00000.raw is no filenaming-convention anymore - with the newer versions of rec_raw its written
mXX-YYYY.raw - f.e. M35-6148.raw

the naming convention for raw files currently is:
M for magic lantern
dd for 2 digit day of the month
hhmm for 2 digit hour and 2 digit minute when recording began.
(the last two digits get incremented if you've already recorded videos in the same minute up to 99 (if anyone could click that fast))
so every file name is unique.

so your example would never be generated by magic lantern.
M01-M31 first part range
0000 - 2399 second part range (though seldom will there be values greater than 2359)

it may be helpful to preserve these dates and times in yours and other post-processing tools.
(i was looking at this in case there was a need to insert a timecode into the cinemaDNG exif data)

chmee

http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/

raw2cdng v1.1.9 is online
- 10bit log is in (but experimental) - no linearizationtable (thx IliasG)
- naming conventions slightly changed
- fixed freezing gui

(!) 10bit log only works for bodies with blacklevel higher 2000 (!) next patch will have a lut for blacklevels around 1024 (!)

@IliasG
is your excel-calc that stable to calculate this lut by changing start values?

(lol. short test in resolve - 10bit/log is not looking that bad :) and hotpixels are gone in this one sample i have :D - if the red tint is too much, lower red gain to ~0.86 - but now its time to test the ability to grade and work with them - we squeezed all information into the 10bit - as a side advantage/drawback theres nearly no more data in blownout or dark parts of the picture - i dont really know if 10bit/log is a good grading base - possibly good for directly working in premiere/fcp/avid, after transcoding into a useable codec)

@gregoryOfManhattan
ah ok. so, my example was wrong - basically it was just as a information about the changed naming of raw-files. finally i leave this numbers in the [reelname] - additionally i put timedate of creation into the pathname.

@swaneon
good news :)

urgent on todoList for next days
- support of splitted files
- 10bit|log for blacklevel ~1024-bodies.

regards chmee

iaremrsir

Quote from: chmee on June 27, 2013, 08:28:19 AM
http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/

raw2cdng v1.1.9 is online
- 10bit log is in (but experimental) - no linearizationtable (thx IliasG)
- naming conventions slightly changed
- fixed freezing gui

(!) 10bit log only works for bodies with blacklevel higher 2000 (!) next patch will have a lut for blacklevels around 1024 (!)

@IliasG
is your excel-calc that stable to calculate this lut by changing start values?

(lol. short test in resolve - 10bit/log is not looking that bad :) and hotpixels are gone in this one sample i have :D - if the red tint is too much, lower red gain to ~0.86 - but now its time to test the ability to grade and work with them - we squeezed all information into the 10bit - as a side advantage/drawback theres nearly no more data in blownout or dark parts of the picture - i dont really know if 10bit/log is a good grading base - possibly good for directly working in premiere/fcp/avid, after transcoding into a useable codec)

@gregoryOfManhattan
ah ok. so, my example was wrong - basically it was just as a information about the changed naming of raw-files. finally i leave this numbers in the [reelname] - additionally i put timedate of creation into the pathname.

@swaneon
good news :)

urgent on todoList for next days
- support of splitted files
- 10bit|log for blacklevel ~1024-bodies.

regards chmee

This version killed drag and drop for me. It still works with previous versions though. It's only this program.

chmee

@iaremrsir
under what OS? are some other users with the same problem?
did you rename your files? is it showing the dragndrop-icon (arrow with plus) on drag-action?

regards chmee 

tin2tin

First time I ran the 1.1.9 version on Win 8 d'n d didn't work. Second time it did work.

araucaria

I just tried your converter (1.1.9) for the first time, and it's working very slow for me (like one frame every two or more seconds) but I have 0% CPU usage, am I doing something wrong? Maybe I have an old verstion of raw2dng, I don't know.

Ok I was doing it wrong, just drag and drop the RAW file, not the dng sequence, thanks for the converter!

iaremrsir

Quote from: chmee on June 28, 2013, 08:27:42 AM
@iaremrsir
under what OS? are some other users with the same problem?
did you rename your files? is it showing the dragndrop-icon (arrow with plus) on drag-action?

regards chmee

Windows 7 x64. I dragged the files straight from the card without altering them. It shows the + sign cursor, but after dropping nothing happens. The clips don't show in the queue.