The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakobmen

Quote from: chmee on June 14, 2013, 04:24:43 PM

why should resolve know, that m00001.mov picturesequence has to be replaced with m0001.[].dng?
is it described in the edl/xml?

regards chmee

yes edl/aaf/xml..

i will send my AAF file once i get home
Canon 5D3

iunknown

chmee

@jakobmen
i looked into the linked xml/edl's. i do not find any hints of a picturesequence. masterclip and proxyclip have the same name. So, sorry i play naive - in this problem-case i have to believe in your thoughts - likewise i try to minimise my work on that. :)

@iunknown
is this checkbutton the solution?
Quotewhile re importing edl/xml deselect "Automatically import source clips into media pool."

@keyth
its a bad idea to compare with adobe-products. they have just a little bit too much knowledge managing and fixing "problems". hotpixels are tagged and marked in CR2 and DNG - adobes RAW-Engine is able to detect hotpixels and masks them out. are these hotpixels static? i think so.. (but yes of course, it could be another problem - look into the cr2/dng/cdng with rawjuggler or dcraw)

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

artyg

Quote from: iunknown on June 14, 2013, 08:42:14 PM
That works Chmee!!  This is awesome!  Here is the workflow:

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013/04/blackmagic-camera-post-workflow/

HOW??? You work with RAW from Canon Mark? I try this, but at last step Resolve conform xml with wrong content. Cuts right. Please, tell, how?? Maybe some screenshots and xml? I'm trying to solve this problem for several days...
Canon 5D3 SanDisk Extreme Pro 64Gb 160MB/s

zach915m

I also cannot seem to get the relinking to work.  Many hours trying different methods but no success.  I wonder if this is a case where something which worked in Final Cut does not work in AVID which I am using?    Confused!

JulianH

I've got a bunch of DNG files I want to proces in Resolve, but I already deleted the .raw files... Any chance I can put those DNG's back into a .raw or convert them straight to cinema DNG? tips?

iunknown

artyg/zach915m,
Where exactly does it get tripped up?

workflow:
import all the files into resolve
export proxies
create timeline in premier, edit and export xml
import xml into resolve
deselecting "Automatically import source clips into media pool."

Make sure you save the original project in resolve so that all the original clips are in the media pool.

zach915m

Here's the workflows I've tried both of them getting tripped up at the same point:

Both of these are CDNG to Resolve to AVID back to Resolve

1.  Use CDNG to make image sequences
2.  Import into resolve
3.  Export using either Avid AAF round trip or just using a regular export to DNX 36 8bit files.
4.  Edit in Avid
5.  Export AAF
6.  Open AAF in Resolve, un-clicking "auto import source clips" I have also tried clicking "ignore file extensions" and using EDL to go back to resolve and the same thing happens every time which is that it links to the first DNG in my "master" bin and uses that clip with all the cut points that are given.

The issue is not that it doesn't recognize the cut points, it's that it doesn't link back to the correct DNG files and nothing seems to remedy this including "reconform from bins."  I do hope this is my error and not an issue with the CDNG!  Sorry for making a ruckus!  It also seems that if others are having success with Premiere and FCP that it could be an avid issue.

-Zach

Jakobmen

Quote from: zach915m on June 16, 2013, 05:58:55 AM
Here's the workflows I've tried both of them getting tripped up at the same point:

2.  Import into resolve
3.  Export using either Avid AAF round trip or just using a regular export to DNX 36 8bit files.
4.  Edit in Avid
5.  Export AAF
6.  Open AAF in Resolve, un-clicking "auto import source clips" I have also tried clicking "ignore file extensions" and using EDL to go back to resolve and the same thing happens every time which is that it links to the first DNG in my "master" bin and uses that clip with all the cut points that are given.

The issue is not that it doesn't recognize the cut points, it's that it doesn't link back to the correct DNG files and nothing seems to remedy this including "reconform from bins."  I do hope this is my error and not an issue with the CDNG!  Sorry for making a ruckus!  It also seems that if others are having success with Premiere and FCP that it could be an avid issue.

-Zach

This is the same for me...
Canon 5D3

marekk

DNG header need a badpixel_opcode field like files generated by raw2dng. ACR fixes bad/hot pixels automatically with badpixel_opcode. I don't know how it works in Davinci Resolve ..

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/b93d6ae2b30dc6581efeb27d2e4571c6fd92ab6e/src/chdk-dng.c?at=unified

Quote from: keyth on June 14, 2013, 07:34:43 PM
Hi all,i have try last version of raw2cdng.1.1.6 and when import sequence in resolve i see hot pixel why? i have canon60d with tecnicolor cinestyle..in camera raw hot pixel not are present in davinci resolve yes...what is wrong? HERE A PIC

artyg

Quote from: zach915m on June 16, 2013, 05:58:55 AM

2.  Import into resolve
4.  Edit in Avid
5.  Export AAF

-Zach

No, it's not avid problem - i work with Premiere Pro CS6 and export xml and have the same problem.

iunknown,
Quote from: iunknown on June 16, 2013, 01:16:27 AM
artyg/zach915m,
Where exactly does it get tripped up?

workflow:
import all the files into resolve
export proxies
create timeline in premier, edit and export xml
import xml into resolve
deselecting "Automatically import source clips into media pool."

Make sure you save the original project in resolve so that all the original clips are in the media pool.

Can you show your screenshots of folders with original dng files and proxy files. And send your xml file? Becouse we do the same as you, but... strange things happen =(

Here my workflow screenshots

Canon 5D3 SanDisk Extreme Pro 64Gb 160MB/s

fatpig

Hello chmee.
Thank you for your great work!

I am developing BATCHelor and awaiting eagerly your implementation of commandline. :)
I would like to know if it is possible to not have to join .RAW and .R00 , .R01,... split files beforehand, as this is tedious.

Can you implement the extraction of CDNG from split files natively?  :)

chmee

@marekk since when is the badpixel thing implemented? i have to look to newest raw-files.. :) thx.

@keyth maybe it helps if you use the inbuilt hotpixel-remapping/cleaning?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZLTdVMCwMM

@fatpig the command line is on the todo-list - please be patient. and yes, of course the split-files will be handled as one in my converter - so you have only to give the .raw-file and it will find the rest, if there..

Roundtrip Ideas - im not at home (for next 6 days) so i cant try that - are you able to rename the footage in resolve? as with the last version i tried to differentiate the name from the framecount with the dot - maybe it was wrong.

original - M3115.[00001-00250].dng (it looks like resolve thinks, "M3115." is the name, but we need "M3115")
proxy - M3115.mov

the next attempt will be of course creating timecode into the dng-header.

bytheway - do i see that right? raw2dng is now converting to 16bit? are you able to use these files in resolve? if yes, i would turn my application into a bitrate-converter - because all benefits (badpixels, verticalbanding) are built in..

v1.1.7 is downloadable here. its a testversion for figuring out about the resolve-roundtripping.
(*) deleted this dot in filename between name and framecount
(*) fixed filename to 8 chars, more will be truncated, less will be filled up with random chars.

regards chmee

peoplemerge

Quote from: artyg on June 16, 2013, 05:48:14 PM
No, it's not avid problem - i work with Premiere Pro CS6 and export xml and have the same problem.

Me too, I'm having the same issue with Premiere Pro CS6.  When importing the XML back into Resolve, it has the same source clip repeated.  I suspect a Resolve bug. Without being an expert, I looked at the Premiere XML output and it looked fine. 

What I don't get about the process is how Resolve knows how to link the proxies back to the original source media.  Could it be stored in it's project somehow?

iunknown

peoplemerge, artyg,
Yeah, your right, its not relinking the files correctly when importing the xml back into resolve.

Chmee,
Just tried it with version 1.1.7, and same thing.  I have no idea how resolve knows to point back to the original raw files with the black magic footage (when selecting "Automatically import source clips into media pool." )

Here is the naming for BMCC footage raw folders:
Greg Fiske_1_2013-02-15_1422_C0000
and the default name resolve gives to proxies:
V1-0001_Greg Fiske_1_2013-02-15_1422_C0000_1241904

cinemadng raw folder:
CDNG16_M091158U
and default name resolve gives to proxies:
V1-0002_M091158U000000

Chmee,
What is the variable "_1241904" added to the end of the proxie names on the bmcc files?  It is the one thing that is different with the two xml files.  The cinemadng comes up as zero, but the cinemadng xml has this:

<frame>1241904</frame>

Here are the xml files:

bmcc xml
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-cS4Mdd09ShYkd0YXg5c2dTT0k/edit?usp=sharing

cinemadng xml
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-cS4Mdd09ShR3JTTzVJMFNvVXc/edit?usp=sharing

chmee

<string>14:22:26:00</string>
<frame>1241904</frame>

seems to be sort of timestamp - with frames as smallest dividor.

1241904 / 24 / 60 /60 = 14 ..... [hour]

modulo (1241904-1209600) = 32304
32304 /24/60 = 22.... [minute]

modulo (32304-31680) = 624
624/24 = 26 [second]

So, it seems, i have to set the timecodes and fps-tag. i hope, this is the final and functional key.

regards chmee

JulianH

I'm getting weird results in Resolve when loading CinemaDNG's converted with raw2cdng.1.1.6. I'm shooting with the Canon 50D.
If I open the frames in ACR, they look fine. In Resolve there is a faint blue/orange coloured line inside of the frame.

See screenshot here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg52177#msg52177

Could this be caused by raw2cdng? I don't think so since the DNG's look fine in ACR. Could it be a 50D problem? Anyone seen this and knows a fix for Resolve?

fatpig

maybe you can make blacklevel editable somehow, because some of my 5DII Videos, which should have 1024 - have a wrong blacklevel of 2037 set inside the .RAW and look really bad.
I would like to set it to 1024 again.

chmee

gave you an answer in another thread - im not sure if an override-values field is a good idea
..finally it is (as bonus), but by now the important thing is the roundtrip-functionality with other editors.

regards chmee

peoplemerge

+1 on the roundtrip!  I have a fun story to tell.  Go chmee!

noisyboy

Dudes - what raw space should we be working in inside of Resolve with ML RAW? As in what RAW settings are best to use within Resolve? Is it best to decode with CinemaDNG default or with Clip and Rec.709 (or is does this default to the same anyway?).

Is it best to Decode with "Clip" and About to have a play! Sooooooo Excited! (again - can't thank you enough for this!)

nightvision04

Quote from: noisyboy on June 19, 2013, 02:31:57 AM
Dudes - what raw space should we be working in inside of Resolve with ML RAW? As in what RAW settings are best to use within Resolve? Is it best to decode with CinemaDNG default or with Clip and Rec.709 (or is does this default to the same anyway?).

Is it best to Decode with "Clip" and About to have a play! Sooooooo Excited! (again - can't thank you enough for this!)

I find it's best to decode with Clip and film log. Then you can interpret things on the fly with an awesome LUT like one of these:
http://juanmelara.com.au/print-film-emulation-luts-for-download/
Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.

peoplemerge

nightvision04 is absolutely right.  Set it to "Clip" "As Shot" "BMD Film".  I'm grading an hour of 5D2 raw footage without LUTs learning resolve lite as I go and it looks very filmic.   rec. 709 will show pink fringing and even more moire.  The BMD film setting is a vast improvement.

noisyboy

nightvision04

Check out those LUTS! Big films are known to use Print LUTs to emulate film colors, and Juan is a best kept secret on the internet for high quality LUTS. They are free, and he has a great tutorial to help you install them.
Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.