The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy kh

for me MLVProducer not the best App if you are editing cdng in premiere pro. you will have to correct white balance for all the clips which is time consuming. you will get discrete amount of magenta. some people including me raised the issue sometime back and there was no fix which is not the case with raw2cdng. go to reply number #802 in MLVProducer forum if you want to know what i mean. some people also complaint about not able to import h264 to davinci resolve converted with MLVProducer. its just my opinion. please go to its forum, downnload and test for yourself.
5D Mark III - 70D

Kharak

I was not aware that raw2cdng supports 10 and 12 bit. I never use it, just thought its so long since Chmee touched it.

If you want to convert straight to a compressed codec, MLVProducer is very good, it has many options.

You were asking about raw2cdng so I assumed you were looking at a DNG converter. If you want high quality DNG's, I think the Script Danne made is the best choice. For as far as I know, currently Danne's batch script is the only way to batch process MLV's with Darkframe Averaging on a Windows machine.
once you go raw you never go back

allemyr

Hi Chmee!

After 4 years I still use this 5D3 camera and 14bit raw together with Raw2CDNG, I found the 1.6.1 app to be the best and least complicated, it always synced sound correct from problemetic clips etc. Today I realised that under Windows 10 newest framework in the Fall Creators Update the 1.6.1 app doesn't work. Had that problem aswell during when I tried Windows Insiders Program to get early updates. Later realeases is fine like the 1.7.9. Will try that one instead for a while but I will always think that the 1.6.1 is superior in function.

Will have to read what's new in 1.7.9, but any chance of getting a 1.6.1 app working in latest Windows Framework? I guess that's the problem for me?

Best Regards

Karl

allemyr

I tried all different version of raw2cdng. The 1.5.0 BETA7 works just fine, flawlessly. And it's fast too!!

In fact the BETA7 is the only one that works for me with multiple MLV clips around that time period in both my Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 10 Pro with latest Windows updates.

bouncyball

@allemyr

Try MLV App project started by @Ilia3101.

Recently I've implemented DNG export into it. You can even export any available bit depth DNGs with lossless copression. And it works on Win32/64, Mac and Linux.

allemyr

Quote from: bouncyball on December 23, 2017, 12:18:57 PM
@allemyr

Try MLV App project started by @Ilia3101.

Recently I've implemented DNG export into it. You can even export any available bit depth DNGs with lossless copression. And it works on Win32/64, Mac and Linux.

Will check that when 1.5.0 Beta 7 stops to work in future Windows 10 and 8.1 updates. Shouldn't say anything about other MLV apps but generally they are to complicated with too much included.
The only option some of users need is fast MLV to CDNG with synced sound export. Maybe I will sell my 5D3 when and use another camera when the raw2cdng app doesn't work anymore.
I use in the raw2cdng app is 16 bit CDNG, no hightlight fix or chroma smoothing.

Even though 5D3 ML RAW might be "unsupported" later I ofcourse love the quailty this camera has to offer, it's crazy cheap and I've been using it for 4 years now.

No story in this video but the quality is insane in my opinion, upscaled to 4k 14-bit on youtube it's also interesting how much you do progress in quality and grading over the years with the same camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxm2WjVu2DY&t=3s

allemyr

Update. Now the 1.6.1 works again for me, reinstalled Windows 10 Pro and now it works. Was at a Windows Insider Program earlier. Will continue to use this 1.6.1 app instead of the 1.5.0 Beta7 app. Have no clue what I did wrong earlier.