The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

Quotewill that work?
Sure, if you want to port this app from WPF to Silverlight (probably not trivial).

spe42

Ok. So again, bearing in mind I don't really know what I'm doing or what to look for, I am willing to give it a shot
(unless someone else who knows what they're doing wants to).
Here's what I've found so far:
WPF–Silverlight compatibility: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc903925(v=VS.95).aspx
Some porting speculations: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2948770/convert-wpf-application-to-silverlight
I also found out that Wine has up to ver. 4.0 of the .net framework bundled with the .dmg. There are more recent versions which I can download and install into my copy of wine via winehq, but I don't know what's necessary and what is not.
I also just found what seems, albeit from my ignorant perspective, to be a good resource for this exact process:
https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/111356/Porting-from-WPF-to-Silverlight-The-Missing-Pieces
And then, I also found something about this on microsoft's website: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/silverlight_sdk/2007/04/30/converting-a-wpfe-application-to-a-silverlight-scripting-application/
Any pointers?
the wrong man for thhe wrong job

dmilligan

Why are you so bent on getting this app to run on mac when there are a plethora of alternatives that already run on mac and actually support more of the very latest features (like lossless compression)?

If you really want to port this app to Mac, I would recommend first decoupling the MLV processing code from the UI specific stuff and into its own assembly. Such an assembly should have minimal dependencies and therefore would run directly under mono or .net core. Then you can re-write the UI to be able to support only Silverlight stuff, while you're at it I would highly recommend adopting the MVVM design pattern (which is really how WPF was intended to be used). Finally you can eliminate the WPF specific code, and re-implement all of that functionality using only stuff available in Silverlight.

spe42

My friend just told me that cdngs and dng files are virtually the same, metadata notwithstanding. It was simply a fool's ignorant whim :) (meaning myself)

Danne

Mlvfs, cr2hdr.app and mlv_dump for steroids produces cdng files.
However I wouldn't mind you porting chmees fine tool to mac so be my guest :).

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on May 19, 2017, 11:54:11 AM
However I wouldn't mind you porting chmees fine tool to mac so be my guest :).

Just make it happen already @spec42!  :)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ariaelf

I am getting non-stop crashes from raw2cdng, which was working fine before...  here is a screenshot and cut & page of the problem signature. Ideas? Suggestions? Alternatives?

In full production mode and pulling my hair out...  :-[

https://ibb.co/iKpOfv

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:   raw2cdng.exe
  Problem Signature 02:   1.7.9.0
  Problem Signature 03:   585a6be9
  Problem Signature 04:   mscorlib
  Problem Signature 05:   4.0.30319.34209
  Problem Signature 06:   534894cc
  Problem Signature 07:   4527
  Problem Signature 08:   23b
  Problem Signature 09:   System.IO.IOException
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   0a9e
  Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:   0a9e
  Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Kharak

remove and reinstall.

Try different version.

For me 1.7.5 just works and fast too.

CCleaner registry cleaner once got me out of a pickle with DNG's being none viewable and MLRawViewer did not start.

Good luck!
once you go raw you never go back

chmee

IO-Exception will be sort of
* Pathnaming or Filenaming is confusing (resulting file not found)
* Destination has ran out of space :)

raw2cdng doesnt write data into the registry. Often it helped erasing the raw2cdng.settings.json in /Users/[user]/AppData/roaming
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Surin Dmitriy

How about first black frame issue? Do you find the problem?
5D3

spe42

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on May 19, 2017, 07:01:45 PM
Just make it happen already @spec42!  :)
@Danne: we'll see. I literally have no experience coding or scripting, so this would certainly be a project. I've wanted an excuse to learn about this kind of stuff though, so I'm going to make the attempt, at least.

chmee

to be honest, not the best way. because of so much hurdles, that are somewhere inside the os and some wrappers. Why dont u try to start from the beginning with the help of my sourcecode and (of course!) the code from ml.

@surin Dmitriy
hadnt had enough time until now. while i prepare to touch the code :D please upload some mlv/raw-examples with this bug. use my mlvdiag to shorten the files, we only need the first frames for that.

spe42

to be honest, not the best way. because of so much hurdles, that are somewhere inside the os and some wrappers. Why dont u try to start from the beginning with the help of my sourcecode and (of course!) the code from ml.
@chmee Ok. Can you be a little more specific? I've tried compiling from source code before, but I didn't have too much luck. Where should I begin exactly? Perhaps we could continue this via PM?

reddeercity

@chmee I have a small request , would if be possible to add the reading/displaying the bit-rate block or blocks in mlvdiag ?
I find this program very useful for my development efforts & repairing damage mlv's  :D A must have tool .

chmee

@spe24
Not really. I have nearly no time to fix/refresh this tool,  cant afford being a tutor in coding. what did you tried? compiling my tool?

specific: as a coding beginner, you cant tell if a bug is because of you or because of a external codepiece like a wrapper (mono fi). no one guarantees, that these wrappers are bugfree.

@reddeercity
will try to - (bitrate blocks.. have to look what they are :)

eraizgn

with new built rec_crop4k, We aint able to convert cDNG, right?

Or do you have any solution? MLV to cDNG? Because cDNG better than DNG

jean-paul34

I am photographer and video maker and I have a problem with the new version (MLV_lite 12bits). Raw magic no longer work.
just a question
Where can I get raw2cdng 1.7.9. for Mac ?

Andy600

Quote from: jean-paul34 on June 30, 2017, 10:47:10 AM
I am photographer and video maker and I have a problem with the new version (MLV_lite 12bits). Raw magic no longer work.
just a question
Where can I get raw2cdng 1.7.9. for Mac ?

raw2cdng is Windows only and the app you mention that no longer works is not supported here as it violates Magic Lantern GPL. Please look at the sticky topics in the 'Raw Video Postprocessing' section for suggestions.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Psico2002

Quote from: hyalinejim on February 10, 2017, 02:44:10 AM
Premiere doesn't use ACR to import DNGS as it's expecting cinema DNGs which are different to "photo" DNGs. The metadata fields where the Lightroom adjustments are stored are not recognised in the Cinema DNG format.

Your best bet is to import them as image sequences in After Effects, where ACR will open for each sequence. It will apply the settings of the first file in the sequence to the whole clip. From there you can export to a lossless codec and edit in Premiere. For maximum flexibility use Cinelog DCP to generate 444 log masters, rather than using ACR's controls which are adaptive and not absolute and therefore introduce flickering. So you have to be careful about most of the shadow/highlights/contrast sliders if you want to use ACR.

Alternatively put all the Cinema DNG clips in a sequence in Premiere and do the same in After Effects. Nest that sequence to edit in Prem. When you're done, do the colour correction in After Effects and import that comp into Premiere, placing it on the track above your first sequence. Your edit will now have your colour correction applied.

Neither of these workflows are particularly straightforward, or fast. Another option is to use Resolve to generate log masters, which is pretty fast. Set your timeline to Cineon gamma and Alexa gamut. But definitely don't colour your CDNGs directly in Premiere as its debayering is pretty poor. ACR gives best results but is very slow.

Hi.

I've working for a while with a loseless workflow wtih Premiere Pro and AE (with ACR).

I read everywhere things like this:

"But definitely don't colour your CDNGs directly in Premiere as its debayering is pretty poor. ACR gives best results but is very slow." Re: The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng). « Reply #1359 on: February 10, 2017, 02:44:10 AM »

I just want to have the BEST results, and I don't care how complicated or slow it can get, so for me is no problem to use ACR despite it might be very slow.
The thing is that every time a open ACR and replace de clip (a proxy clip from Premiere that is linked to AE), ACR adds an incredible amount of sharpness to the clip. I hate that. The overall look of my clips after that, is just ugly. I have great colors but I loose that distinctive look that we all to see on clips shooted with hi ended camera: flat and subtle soft images.

Any ideas why that this happens?

Thanks in advance guys!

kyrobb

I believe the sharpness in ACR is turned up by default. You've already checked and turned that down?

Psico2002

Thanks man kyrobb!

I know it might sound a little stupid of me to ask this, but, I can't find any options for sharpness in ACR; just contrast.

I'm missing something?

I'm from Uruguay and I have spanish version of ACR isntalled, and it's only "Contraste", no option of "Nitidez", which is the translation of sharpness.

Thanks in advance!

AndreasKielb

It's been a while since I tried Magic Lantern the last time. But today I tried it again with my 50D in RAW and MLV and was amazed how fast and easy the conversion
was with raw2cdng on Windows 7.

I also read about the crop_rec_4k with the 5D Mark III. I don't have this camera yet but think about buying a used one if I can find a good deal.
Would the raw2cdng application work also with 12 or 14-bit lossless compressed MLV files?

Kharak

I used to only use raw2cdng. But no, raw2cdng does not work with the new Lossless MLV's or 8-12 Bit.

But Danne has made a very nice piece of "program" that is very straight forward and actually delivers in higher quality than raw2cdng. With Darkframe Automation the DNG's simply come out cleaner than raw2cdng.

It is basically a script with a Menu.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10526.100

Last build on page 5 is as of now the latest.
once you go raw you never go back

reddeercity

No not so raw2cdng supports 10 , 12 & of course  14bit
Just not compressed raw .
MLVProducer will soon support compressed raw which is a far
Better app just drag & drop the file and you have ACR like adjustments
For windows it the best app nothing else comes close .

AndreasKielb

Thank you both very much for your information. That was very helpfull.
Is the H264 4:4:4 on MLVProducer in 10 bit?