The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Thanks. Finally some numbers I could use regarding wb in dng files :).

Ali Oliya

Hi

(My apologizes if this question is already asked?)  I'm using raw2cdng ver 1.7.4 and it always drops 1 frame in every .mlv file conversion. so there is always 1 dng file missed! why is that?

Ali Oliya

I just read this http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2014/04/magiclantern-raw2cdng-1-5-0/ and found out its a common issue for many and the solution is in progress... thanks.

Kharak

For me I see that the dropped frames are 90% of the time within the first 24 frames. Most often frame 17, but 18, 21 and 24 occur very often too. There is some kind of pattern that drops these frames, I don't know what though.

once you go raw you never go back

Ali Oliya

@kharak

For me its completely random. sometime first frames sometimes last frames. i switched the 1.6.5 and its working fine so far.

Panz

Anybody else has problems with timecode?
When i import audio and dng sequences in davinci resolve the timecode of audio and video is different by a minute, maybe more maybe less, which makes syncing tedious because i have to fix every audio file timecode manually.

Nobody has this problem? I think 1.5something was working ok on that regard.

Still, latest versions are very fast and stable!

kgv5

Quote from: Ali Oliya on May 28, 2015, 03:53:06 PM
@kharak

For me its completely random. sometime first frames sometimes last frames. i switched the 1.6.5 and its working fine so far.

I am also using 1.6.5, i noticed that 1.7.x gives me red frames from time to time (randomly), i dont know why because the same MLVs mounted with mlvfs have no dropped frames at all.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

X-STATE

@chmee
Hi! Is it possible to add to the raw2cdng a possible correction hot pixels?
Like here in MLVFS Bad pixel correction?
Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112

chmee

hot pixel in r and b are corrected with chroma smooting 2x2. yes, this is inside.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

X-STATE

70D.112

Jay429

Hi for some reason i cant get any version of raw2cdng working it keeps crashing every-time i press convert.. am missing something?
im basically dragging, the MLV/Raw file into the window software so it shows up in the list then press convert and it crashes.
im on a windows 8 pc, using latest build on a Cannon 5D3
if i use MLrawviewer it all works fine

allemyr

Thanks for this app. It's awesome I'am using 1.6.5 and have no problems at all. Used it  for over a year now.

odya_kun

Why DNG files that produced by raw2cdng (12bit & 16bit) are not playable through Resolve media pool?
After dropping it to the timeline playback working ok.
MLVRawViewer DNGs plays good too but they are very small in size, maybe they have a 10bit quality or something?

dmilligan

No, they are just lossless compressed (there is no loss in quality).

chmee

Sorry for my absence - as you see i couldnt find any time for the converter - and there's just this one big bug with lost frames while convertion. next time i will embed raw-convertion from xiaomi yi cams as a sidestep..

@Jay429
often its a problem with the filenaming and/or the path-names. did you tried without special or country specific characters (and no whitespaces)?

X-STATE

@chmee
Canon 70D:
-Rec RAW video : afte convert in raw2cdng.1.7.4 ACR identifies *.dng file like Canon 6D
-Rec MLV video : afte convert in raw2cdng.1.7.4 ACR identifies *.dng file like Canon 70D
what do you think, is the problem of the raw2cdng or ML?
70D.112

Danne

70D and 6D shares the same color matrices. Only difference in metadata should be the name of the camera model?

X-STATE

I'm worried about VisonLOG
It works correctly in this case?
When a DNG file from 70D be applicable from the camera profile 6D
70D.112

Danne

If it works for 6D it should behave exactly the same as for 70D I believe.

Slasheal

I just tried it.
Two problems to report:

1- Lens correction can't be applied with ACR.
2- When oppened with Speedgrade, I get a green cast.
The only way I have found since then, is to convert all the DNGs to a 16bit tiff (11mb per frame  :-[)
Only then, I don't get a green color shift.

Ps:
I'm also using vision log... Because I'd like to beable to apply luts.

I installed bootcamp just because I thought that this software would help me to get usable DNGs on Speedgrade.. It hasn't.  :-\

chmee

(*) does other Converter give you the ability for automatic lens-corrections? you can set it manually.
(*) Speedgrade needs manual adjustments. often discussed here, with examples.
Quote..[edit half a year later] speedgrade needs a color-lut/color-matrix to work accordingly with raw-files..
in raw2cdng 1.4.8 (zip) is an example - .look - file....

regards chmee

mothaibaphoto

@chmee: Compared to mlv_dump your converter brings correct WB, but looses lens(model, F-number) shutter speed and ISO :( Yes, I can set lens manually, if I can remember :)

dmilligan

Quote from: chmee on August 27, 2015, 08:33:03 AM
(*) does other Converter give you the ability for automatic lens-corrections? you can set it manually.
It's not that you can't apply lens-corrections, it's just that they are applied wrongly (sometimes) and might not be noticeable b/c ACR makes some assumptions about the FOV. Actually, for crop mode, they will already apply correctly because the pixel size is the same as what ACR assumes.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.msg153252#msg153252

One problem is that there's no way to handle non-centered footage. If you try to apply lens corrections to non-centered footage, they will be wrong, and there's apparently no tag to specify this to ACR.

Quote from: chmee on August 27, 2015, 08:33:03 AM
(*) Speedgrade needs manual adjustments. often discussed here, with examples.
regards chmee
I found a workaround to get the "right" color to start with in SpeedGrade is to create a Premiere project and add the footage to it first, then do a "direct link" and jump over to SpeedGrade.

You might also be interested in this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.msg152425#msg152425

Slasheal

QuoteI found a workaround to get the "right" color to start with in SpeedGrade is to create a Premiere project and add the footage to it first, then do a "direct link" and jump over to SpeedGrade.

This is great!
I tried it and I confirm it works 100%. :)

The Director

big problem with the latest version. it cuts a half of files. on two parts. without sound.
it isn't known why. and so almost all the time. here through RawFlow. unpacks RawFlow correctly.