The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottoga

EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

KelvinK

hi, chmee... tried 1.7.4 - keeps randomly drop frames, usually between 17 and 22 frames (1 frame drops).
same mlv with 1.6.5 works fine
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

chmee

will be back home ~21.04. (actually in shanghai)

@KelvinK
"randomly" means -> same MLV, more converting trials - every time another dropped frames?

@all
and please tell me, if verticalbanding-fix is working accurate in 1.7.4 or not - cause i read in another thread, 1.6.5 was the best until now..

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

KelvinK

chmee, no. randomly i mean: different mlvs drop random frmaes, like mlv1 - its 21 frame, mlv2 - 19, mlv3 has no drops
and since 1.7 conversion with chroma and banding on works slower, even progress bars act different
like if put 1 mlv file in 1.6.5 you can see both bars going simultaneously, in 1.7.4 lower bar goes slow when upper bar passing twice (with one mlv file) till lower (overall)  bar reaches end
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

chmee

@KelvinK
please do me a favor, convert the same "problematic" file more than two times - just to inspect, if these dropped frames vary.

regards chmee

KelvinK

Ok, chmee, will do it. Actaully, I can upload (but next week only) some problematic MLVs for you, if you need to inspect it.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

chmee

Kharak

Does anyone here have any experience with CDNG in Speedgrade?

CinemaDNG has a strong green cast in Speedgrade. This might have something to do with blacklevel, but I am not sure.. Looks a little like the ffmpg player when it importing ML Raw. And what I read in some threads on adobe, it is a known thing.. And I read that I should "counter colour grade the green".. Sounds very unintuitive to me.. But I have tried, making LogPrimaries and what not.. Basically just trying out different keywords that I read about here and there. But I can't get it to Normally normal.. Not at all as ACR does.

Would be nice if someone had a good pointer to getting the CDNG looking normal in Speedgrade, I would really like to try out some CDNG grading in Speedgrade.

The CDNG's I used were 12 bit maximized. MK III.
once you go raw you never go back

Andy600

@Kharak - Try adding the inverse of the D65 5D3 ColorMatrix1 on a daylight shot then white balance it. This should sort out the green problem (it will require different matrices for different color temps). I'm working on a Speedgrade solution.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Kharak

Ok thank you Andy, I will try that.

chmee

many entries before (nov2013) i talked a bit about speedgrade and handling colormatrices..

regards chmee

Kharak

@Chmee.

I copied the code and made a cube file.

But frankly I don't know how to import luts into Speedgrade.

Tried your way too Andy, but I can't find the D65 inverse of the 5D MK III etc.. or what I am actually supposed to do.

I added fxInversion, but I don't think this is what you mean.. Mind you, I am a newcomer to Speedgrade, this is my 5th attempt at this software. I don't know what has changed in CC compared to CS6 but I do like it better now. But I still find it troublesome to navigate..

Need to find some tutorial to get me through the essentials.

So far I got the best results adding Gamma 2.2.ilut to the footage, still has a green cast then but the luminance seems to be at a normal level, but yeah, it ain't good.

Andy600

@Kharak - I'm not a daily SpeedGrade user (actually never colored with it) so I think I over simplified things earlier regarding the matrix inversion. This might be part of a solution but not the full solution. I'll work out how to get MLV to display color and gamma correctly in SpeedGrade and build a profile for the 5D3. Fortunately, the Iridas format makes it easy to get technical :)

For reference, if you want to invert a color matrix you will need to find the D65 colormatrix in one of your DNG files using raw digger or something else that can read metadata. Then invert it - a good online matrix tool is http://www.bluebit.gr/matrix-calculator/

The 5D Mark III D65 color matrix ML uses is:

0.672200 -0.063500 -0.096300
-0.428700  1.246000  0.202800
-0.090800  0.216200  0.566800

so the inverse of this would be:

1.543930  0.035363  0.249663
0.523447  0.867682 -0.221521
0.047670 -0.325303  1.888783

If my understanding of SpeedGrade is correct, this would give you the 5D3's linear raw color but would still require white balance and a color correction matrix + gamma. It needs a proper calibration profile - I'm working on a test profile for 5D3 MLV in SG and will make the rec709 version available for everyone.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

chmee

here's a picture from the past, where you see the lut used inside sg - you have to put this file into a specific folder. wait.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe SpeedGrade CC 2014\settings\looks\CinemaDNG

ah, and they're named -> [name].look

try the values from andy600 - my values were just tests long ago..

regards chmee

Kharak

renamed it to look and it sees it, but it says "invalid preset" before the name.

Maybe it has something to do with under format defaults tab (On your screenshot, that would be FormatStandards), I chose Alexa at one point, it was standard on CinemaDNG, I could choose Alexa and R3D. But now I can't choose CinemaDNG again, I can choose R3D or Alexa and it is standard on Alexa.

Same under Clip and Format Options..

Doesn't matter what footage I import, it keeps saying Alexa now.

Not sure if I wanna continue with Speedgrade at this point... Its not fun anymore :) hehe

chmee

Kharak

Thanks, these .look files work.

With the look file from 1.4.8. The colours looked quite normal, but the image gets heavily overexposed.

Adjusting exposure in Colour Space Defaults and Blue channel gets it close to the way Windows shows my DNG's.

But its not quite normal to grade, to me it seems.. Perhaps it's the program that is that way, but seems like highlights and shadows act up very strange.. Their levels also seem to be slightly off all the time.

Definitely not the same as grading with After Effects.

chmee

@Kharak
@DFM wrote some good points about sg and the rest (2013). Do not forget, these .look-files are from 2013, first trials to get working inside speedgrade, yes there's a lot of space to optimize them.

got a pm by @DAP , will discuss it here
Quote..just wondering what happened to the highlights fix button in 1.7.4  I am still getting pink highlights in premiere 8 cc with 16bit maximized output from raw2cdng via 5D3
i freezed the highlightfix, because it changes the rawdata, and i want to change less as possible on the sensordata - there's a fix inside of premiere. this problem affects other cameras/recorder as well.

regards chmee

Lysander

sorry, wrong topic

extremelypoorfilmaker

Hey, i just tried to use today the raw2cdng app, by the way, thanks chmee!! :)

As i click on it i receive this error message saying that i need to install one of the following version of .NET frameworks v4.0.30319, i checked on my PC and the .NET frameworks version i have got is 4.0.4etc.

Anyone having this problem? I am running windows 7 64bit on my machine. thanks in advance

Installing Eos utilty 3 solved this problem :)

chmee

:) It wont be about eos-utility, but maybe about .net 4.5.
on win8-systems this problem shouldnt occur, because both (4.0 and 4.5) are installed already.

extremelypoorfilmaker

correct Chmee! I noticed the installer of EOS Utility 3 installing the .NET 4.5 files. now i got your splendid program working almost fine on my PC :)

I am saying Almost because something quite curious happened. basically, i tried your program yesterday night converting some footage i already converted with Magic Lantern RAW video converter 1.9.1

when i converted some shots using raw2cdng version 1.7.4 and 1.6.5 the resulting footage was all Green. The same footage, converted with Magic Lantern RAW Video converter 1.9.1 was looking fine.   
The first time i converted the files, i only selected the option cdng 16bit.
i set the folder where to export them, but instead of exporting the footage in the folder i created, it exported them in the same folder as where raw2cdng was.

I just exported the same footage using the option 16bit maximized and the footage is looking fine.

Probably you already know about this "issue" (if i can call it a real issue) but i thought i would let you know. :)

Thanks again! Will donate soon! ;)

jankrueck

So Chmee,
I'm back home and ready to talk about some "Lut-in-baking" on cDNG ;)
Still no Skype? (or was it just because of you, not beeing home)

Cheers, Jan

ps: if no skype, what about fb?

theartofweb

I would like the "start TC" to be always 00:00:00:00 instead of the date of the day (that's what I see on Resolve).

I would love the folder to be named M22-1852_DNG_000001 instead of M22-1852 and the files inside something like M22-1852_000001 instead of M22-1852000001

(first 2 clips generated by raw2cdng, last 2 clips generated by MlRawViewer)

After all, I like raw2cndg for its batchlist properties!

Thanks