The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nang

Quote from: chmee on March 19, 2014, 02:09:06 PM
it should work with this older version as well - for sure its a bug in my code for raw-data - but, yours is really old :)

I'll look into updating to a more recent build. My concern is if something goes wrong. The August build has been working flawlessly thus far, but maybe it's time to update. Might give mkv a shot, but I record my audio externally so I never really had a need for this.

I tried version 1.4.9 and for the most part it works, but it crashes randomly.
Portfolio: somnang.4ormat.com | Video: https://vimeo.com/somnang
Prime: Olympus Zuiko OM 24mm f/2.8 | Rokinon Cine 85mm T/1.5 | Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Helios 44-2 58mm f/2.0 | Jupiter 37A 135mm f/3.5
Zoom: Meteor 5-1 17-69mm f/1.9, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, Tamron 24-70mm Di VC f/2.

chmee

raw2cdng1.4.9.7 is online pink highlights fix
* this is a testversion, if pinkhighlight-fix works everywhere
* logarithmic approaches freezed
* partymode is now on by default, no click. gamma changes not needed as well.
* raw-bug fixed (fps.denominator was the bad boy)
* downside: it has lost much of its speed. (but: theres space to optimize a lot)

short tests with premiere, acr/photoshop and resolve looked ok. (5dIII)

http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

anandkamal

chmee: "because i didnt tested the actual version with RAW, this could be a silly bug. thanks for info.
did you enabled the logfile? please link/show it via pastebin.
are you using a newer firmware with audio-support?

regards chmee"

I am sorry, but what is logfile and how to enable it?
I used .raw files. Also i request for fixing bigger (greater than 6GB) raw files getting crashed while converting.
i am using the latest firmware, both in ML and raw2cdng. I am using raw and not mlv, so no audio. By the way, which is preferable for the converter, .raw or .mlv?? thanks

chmee

Wartburg-Entertainment

Hello Chmee,

since the last two versions of the app does not create more folders.
It used to be that I got MLV per file, create a folder.
Now creates a folder and it contained only by a MLV the CDNG.
The others are generated, they are not found. (overwritten)

greeting

chmee

?written so complicated..? (try german?!) do you mean the batch-convert is broken?

Wartburg-Entertainment

Yes deutsch, :)

in den letzten Versionen war es immer so, dass ich pro MLV einen Ordner angelegt bekam. Das war super.
Seit 1.4.9.6 und 7 entsteht nur ein Ordner von einem MLV File.
Das Programm arbeitet aber munter weiter und scheint die anderen CDNG's zu erzeugen, aber im Ordner sind nur die Files von einer MLV-Datei.
Habe noch nicht gecheckt von welcher - erste oder letzte in der Batchliste.
Windows 8!!

Gruß aus Thüringen

EDIT: Es sind die Dateien vom letzten MLV-File in der Batchliste!! Es werden die vorgehenden überschrieben. Deshalb kann ich sie nicht finden!

chmee

Ok danke. Schau ich mir heute abend an.

ted ramasola

tested latest with several MLV files. Seem to work well so far.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

anandkamal

version 1.4.9.7 works well with .raw files.. i tried with files greater than 7 GB and multiple files.. great Chmee... thanks

random

anybody has an idea why the cdngs ignore the white balance I chose?
I get horrible warm images in Premiere independent from which Kelvin I record with.
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

chmee

because i set static values. its a code-module before mlv, that now has whitebalance-data.. long time ago (v1.3.0) i wrote a whitebalance-importer, that takes the values from a cr2-photo. its still inside raw2cdng. but, thanks for the hint, seems, its time to change that.

@wartburg-entertainment
please send me a logfile from a multiple file-convert-process. raw2cdng[at]phreekz.de or use pastebin.com

AD DP

Quote from: chmee on March 21, 2014, 11:12:04 PM
raw2cdng1.4.9.7 is online pink highlights fix
* this is a testversion, if pinkhighlight-fix works everywhere
* logarithmic approaches freezed
* partymode is now on by default, no click. gamma changes not needed as well.
* raw-bug fixed (fps.denominator was the bad boy)
* downside: it has lost much of its speed. (but: theres space to optimize a lot)

short tests with premiere, acr/photoshop and resolve looked ok. (5dIII)

http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/

regards chmee

Hey Chmee,

Went through another short project using your raw2cdng, no problems here! I had some pink banding on afew frames - but I believe this happened during recording the MLV's. I dropped the affected frames.
Here is the video: https://vimeo.com/89770585

Will be migrating to the 5DIII from here on out. :)
Thanks!

chmee

@AD DP
thanks for sharing (and using raw2cdng). if you use lower exposure and control highlights below a point, they havent be seen in earlier version as well. i made tests with dimming lights to see, where the pink highlights begun, and finally tried to investigate where this level is. on this point green is clipped, but red and blue are going further. but to say it once more clear, its the fault of the cheap cdng-code in premiere. its horrible. with this step we have lost highlight recovery. in v1.5 there will be back the "old" 16bit transcoding (beside the highlights-hack). and finally i hope, adobe will do something clever: code the importer as dng was founded, an open format with descriptive metadata inside it.

ted ramasola

tested 1.4.9.7 to convert 3 mlv files recorded at 60P and 2 of those files caused the app to crash. I noticed that selecting 12 bit causes the crash. 16bit no problems.

I went back to 1.4.9.6 and all 3 converted fine using 12 bit.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

kirklasalle

OMG! Where the hell have I been! I just found this today! I just wanted to give a big Thank You!

I've been trying to find some kind of exit strategy for the 19lights GingerHDR workflow I've been using, which just shut down (drag and drop with ML Raw http://19lights.com/wp/tutorials/magic-lantern-raw-video/ was a great solution for a bit, fast workflow with direct import into PP with very few drawbacks)... After that, First option was the ACR workflow with 8bit output and that just wasn't going to cut it (for bigger jobs)... but, now I know I can get solid 12bit cDNG on my timeline (with a pro NEC monitor) and I couldn't be happier.  Awesome deal. Great Work man! :D

chmee

@ted ramasola
thanks for information. did it converted some of the pictures or does it crash right in the beginning? could you send me first ~10mb of the failing file? (use for example Hxd for cutting that into another file)

@kirklasalle
you're welcome. tell me/us a little bit about the workflow with your nec monitor, primarly about your real advantages. thats a interesting thing. and of course, how the cdng-files behave..

regards chmee

zacshome

Hey guys, Using 1.4.9.6, I have been encoding with 16bit and 1.0000 gamma, i did some test of encoding with and without 1.0 gamma and it seemed the same, not sure what benefit I am getting from that..

Also when I export as 12bt LOG for resolve, all my files come out pure white, but 16bit linear works perfect. I thought with resolve I am meant to be exporting them as LOG files for my lut's to work but doesnt seem to be working :) (sorry noob post but have searched online for an hour or so and can't find a solution)

kirklasalle

Quote from: chmee on March 23, 2014, 10:28:11 PM

@kirklasalle
you're welcome. tell me/us a little bit about the workflow with your nec monitor, primarily;yy about your real advantages. that's a interesting thing. and of course, how the cdng-files behave..
regards chmee

The cDNG's I get are drag and drop which is great... workflow is what you'd expect, import the folder from prelude (when needed, which auto-pulls up media encoder and allows transcode for offline, so you'll need some space and some time, again, IF NEEDED, I say if needed when working between web project @720p and  feature length project @ full color gamut... otherwise, just direct drag N' drop folder import into PP CC) all the way through to a final edit and color. [EDIT: btw - only first pass on color in PP, 2nd and final polish in Davinci]

Really the monitor (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880645-REG/NEC_p232w_bk_23_Widescreen_Professional_Graphics.html) not that big of a deal, it just allow me to do 10bit color with a wide AdobeRGB gamut and has some function for a basic LUT in the field... the cool thing is your software allows me to choose 12bit , that's what I really got excited about (16bit crashes on me, I'll pull logs if you need) so, I have two 7Ds that I can keep now (no buying a new camera) and get some kickin RAW out of them.

[EDIT: The thing is, right now, for the price, (especially since I already own two 7D's) you can't beat 12bit RAW @ 1080p with the 7D, it saves me on a monthly rental... you deserve a huge (and more of a) thanks!   Please don't stop! this is some of the best ML covert software I've seen so far]

I'll donate... I promise that! [EDIT: Although, I need an English version... there's no translate with paypal I guess]

ted ramasola

Quote from: chmee on March 23, 2014, 10:28:11 PM
@ted ramasola
thanks for information. did it converted some of the pictures or does it crash right in the beginning? could you send me first ~10mb of the failing file? (use for example Hxd for cutting that into another file)

Its hard to replicate the crash, but I've also made comparison with 1.4.9.6 and 1.4.9.7 and it seems the .6 version produces similar quality with 14bit DNGs side by side in resolve. When I use 1.0 Gamma and NO Party mode. The CDNGs from .7 version is darker and I need to push up exposure in resolve. What is the default gamma for .7 ?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

chmee

the gamma is 1.0 as well, but i have to lower the values by (assume) ~1ELV to fix the highlights for premiere. in next versions will be back the normal convert without partymode - for usage in speedgrade, acr and resolve.

regards chmee

DitOnTheLoose

I am back on 1.4.9.

The new CDNG naming convention interferes with my workflow. Which is to bad since I really liked not having to change the FPS every time I imported into Resolve.

anandkamal

hi, i am trying to open .cdng files in Nuke. With J_Ops plugin, I could only open a single frame of .cdng file in Nuke 7.0. The sequence could not be opened as usual, like in .exr pics. Pls help me out. How do i import the entire .cdng sequences? thanks

Olivier57

anandkamal: Why do you want directly open cdng in Nuke ? ... In the cinema industry: the digital compositors work their shots a lot with the dpx 10 bits log and Exr for the 3d sequences.  ;)

I read in the past even with J_Ops plugin, Nuke is not able to read dng.

anandkamal

thanks Olivier57.. that would be a good alternate. Also Nuke is good with .exr. I thought because of quality degradation, converting cdng to dpx10 or exr would be lossy. Anyways, that being a standard, I will have to do that.  ;)