The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddeercity

There no ACR support in premiere pro cc right now, dynamic link to A.E. or speedgrade
is still there , but time consuming. Better to use A.E. first save the project xml import that
by dynamic link in to Premiere Pro CC .  :)

chmee

@wartburg-entertainmant
i feel a liitle bit sorry.. 7D is another workplace (i'm using and testing 5DIII), and as you stated, tragic-lantern-mod is much older, so you cant get all benefits from actual versions, it can hit you right there.. simply, i cant help you.

@a1ex you stated in another thread i'm neither giving source open (via fi github) nor i respect gpl-copyrights.  i worked on that, solved that and gave all informations, to code fi premiere support more than on time. finally, its a free software. that's not really fair..
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Wartburg-Entertainment

@chmee: Thank you anyway, even if it is not good news.

@reddeercity: Thanks for the idea. I also think that it is currently the best workflow.

a1ex

@chmee: it wasn't directed at you, it was a doubt about all the other closed-source apps from this forum that do (more or less) the same thing as raw2dng.

This is an open source community, we share the knowledge with everyone else, so I think it's fair that everybody who uses our software and expands upon it should share their knowledge instead of hiding it in binary blobs.

I understand you are not using any of my code, so there are no GPL issues. But what about the fundamental aspect of open source, collaboration?

The part about raw2cdng was that a user asked me to fix a bad pixel problem in your program, I told him your program does not appear to be open source, so there's nothing I can do.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quotefinally, its a free software
Since we do not have the freedom to see your source code, to study it or to reuse bits from it, your program does not count as free software, sorry. And the same is true about all the other closed-source programs (freeware != free software).

chmee

@a1ex ok. understandin' - so let me reorganize this codechaos and then..

a1ex

Thanks, no need to hurry. That's also a practical aspect of open source - since you upload it in the open, you tend to be a bit more careful about code quality, readability and so on (so it's a good idea if you are trying to sharpen your skills).

chmee

raw2cdng 1.4.9.3 online
* second attempt fixing this directory-filenotfound-thing
* modeltag and uniquemodel are separated (@Andy600 told about problems in cinelog)
* optimizing some things (fi tiff-dng-tag-creation)

http://dl.phreekz.de/raw2cdng/raw2cdng.1.4.9.3.zip

regards chmee

peterbrne

Hi,

Thanks chmee for great work....

Im totaly not familiar with how to make apps,..

Just a question ... in future ... will it be available for OSX also?

Thanks,

Peter

chmee

@peterbrne
actually not from my side, i m Mr ignoramus in terms of mac-world:) so, just hope for the day, i will opensource the code and others will use that for cross-compilations. :)

anandkamal

hi.. may i please have the link/instructions of the latest tutorial on resolve premiere pro roundtrip? or the new premiere pro cdng to resolve workflow? thanks..

andy kh

there are so many ways to do that. import cdng in premiere pro.cut n export xml. import xml in resolve. do your grading and export xml for premiere pro and now you can add titles, effects etc
5D Mark III - 70D

anandkamal

hey thanks.. but xml could not be imported in resolve "the file M17-1805.000000.dng" can't be found" pops up... i should do some renaming. Please explain that stuff so that resolve can import the xml from ppro...

andy kh

no. you dont have to rename it. open your project. click go to media page and click "davinci resolve" on top right. click preference. click "+" and add your folder where your cdng is located. there are so many basic tutorials on youtube
5D Mark III - 70D

anandkamal

has any faced problem with the following workflow? CDNG to resolve and edit all the footage in resolve itself, color correct and export it to premiere pro (with timeline xml) for perfect trim, transition effects and do mastering from premiere..

chmee

since the beginning this was one of the favoured workflows.

* first we manipulated canon-raw to 16bit to work in resolve9
* we found the right switches for xml-roundtrip
* then resolve 9.15 came with native support of 14bit-dng's

the drawback was and is the complete import and recode of the footage, just to work with it in other software. time and space-consuming.

kaco

Quote from: reddeercity on February 18, 2014, 12:25:17 AM
There no ACR support in premiere pro cc right now, dynamic link to A.E. or speedgrade
is still there , but time consuming. Better to use A.E. first save the project xml import that
by dynamic link in to Premiere Pro CC .  :)

Could you please explain your workflow a little more?

reddeercity

Quote from: kaco on February 25, 2014, 07:45:58 PM
Could you please explain your workflow a little more?
Sure no problem its very simple, open Cdng's and  or dng's image sequence
in After effects ,now you have  access to the ACR panel  save your project as cs6 xml
import A.E. Project in to your premiere pro project.
I posted a short video tutorial , link below
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8177.msg86395#msg86395
Hope this helps  :)

kaco

Quote from: reddeercity on February 25, 2014, 09:31:10 PM
Sure no problem its very simple, open Cdng's and  or dng's image sequence
in After effects ,now you have  access to the ACR panel  save your project as cs6 xml
import A.E. Project in to your premiere pro project.
I posted a short video tutorial , link below
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8177.msg86395#msg86395
Hope this helps  :)

big thanks

duey101

@chmee

Question: Is the mlv2cdng app going to work in the same way as the raw2cdng app?  What I mean is will we still have to convert from MLV>RAW or will it be drop MLV files straight into the GUI and convert to CDNG.  The one thing I like about raw2cdng is the SPEED!  It is blazing fast on my system.
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III, 60D, EF 70-200L, EF 85mm, EF 50mm, EF 10-22mm.  Platform: Dual Boot Win 7 Ultimate x64/Mavericks Hackintosh, PPro CC, LR5.

chmee

If i implement mlv, it will be native.. And also the speed should stay equal. I'm thinking about a processing module, for cs2x2 for example, but it would lower the Speed massively

zcream

Would you consider posting the LUT or the formula used to convert 12-bit linear RAW to 10-bit log ?
I am still trying to figure this out.

Cheers!.

chmee

@zcream
i convert from 14bit to 10bit/log. you find the discussion about lin/log in the early posts inside this thread, IliasG helped me out.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5618.msg47480#msg47480

beside that, try it with a simple lin/log-conversion as described in a lot of math/physics-forums..
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=304633

here are the old calculations by IliasG
14lin10log_gamma_rec709.zip

@all
mlv/audio native is on the way.

regards chmee

arrinkiiii

andy kh

@all
mlv/audio native is on the way.

that wil be great. for me i stil wil have to convert to raw first to remove pink dots since i use 650D now.
5D Mark III - 70D

chmee

the pink dot removing costs a lot of speed - but i still think about a optional button for that.