The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duey101

One more test, with the new version of MLVConverter 1.8.2....
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10198.0

In this test the output dng file is clean, but the tiff proxy file from the exact same conversion shows the same dead/cold/pixels/Sensels but ONLY in the proxy tiff files, not the dng file output.  They are also red and not black.  Any ideas on what is happening?  Very odd indeed.

DNG output...

TIFF output...

Gear: Canon 5D Mark III, 60D, EF 70-200L, EF 85mm, EF 50mm, EF 10-22mm.  Platform: Dual Boot Win 7 Ultimate x64/Mavericks Hackintosh, PPro CC, LR5.

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

chmee

[caution speculation] i'd say, because the dng's are made by adobe, there is a badpixel-tag. i dont know what it does, but it seems havin a positive effect. the same i'd say from the cr2-files straight out the body, where canon sets this tag. duey, please send me a cr2-file from your cam, just for testing purposes..

first i will optimize the actual things ->mlv with splitfiles<-, then i'd take the time for the bad-pixels opcode.

thx & regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

tonybeccar

Hey chmee, one question. I was looking into the awesome workflow of cdngs in premiere.. and the people that have the bmcc import their sequences in premiere, just like us, BUT, in the project panel, when they right click on a cdng sequence and they go to Source Settings, it opens in ACR and they can tweak things in there, close it and it updates on Premiere. Dreamy! Now.. I cannot seem to do it with your cdngs, the option is greyed out (though I haven't tried with others anyway), but I have everything up to date, premiere, phosohop, adobe camera raw (8.1 though, couldnt find the 8.2). Do you have this feature? I saw it and it is truly amazing...

PS: Please command line command line! :D I was thinking, with your app, then this is the way to go.. so when you have the command line ready i'll focus more on the interface than anything else.. drop the common dngs, ffmpeg proxies, they are no use really, slow and low quality and tedious.. but instead just make a neat interface that interlaces with your magic software.. I can put my efforts on that...

Anyway, does the premiere feature work for you?
Cheers!!!

a1ex

Quote from: chmee on February 12, 2014, 05:37:11 PM
it seems havin a positive effect

Yep, that's why I'm going to remove it from raw2dng ;)

Quote from: a1ex on January 12, 2014, 08:55:15 PM
In theory, the current solution (tagging the bad pixel in DNG files) is more elegant. In practice, only ACR reads these tags.

chmee

@tony could you give me a link to bmcc-files, where this sequence-settings are available? i've got some here, but its greyed out. this is a great finding, and would make a huge step for us.

[commandline] please (all) give me the time to primarly reach the magic milestone, raw/mlv/audio straight for premiere.  then i'd recode all into a commandline.

@a1ex lOl. ok, i should examine your way with the banding correction and the stucked-sensel correction.

tonybeccar

Quote from: chmee on February 12, 2014, 06:12:31 PM
@tony could you give me a link to bmcc-files, where this sequence-seetings are available? i've got some here, but its greyed out. this is a great finding, and would make a huge step for us.

[commandline] please (all) give me the time to primarly reach a first finish line, the magic milestone..  then i'd recode all into a commandline.

@a1ex lOl. ok, i should examine your way with the banding correction and the stucked-sensel correction.

Here I saw it in a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oALUwhZaK4s
I found sample dngs of the pocket camera here (my god how good it is!): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/44bnza1ooi34xqb/6KlnDHKWpy I wonder if they are useful.. gonna test them myself now! But yeah, that workflow is HEAVEN.

EDIT: http://philipbloom.net/2012/08/23/grading-the-blackmagic-cinema-camera-dngs-in-photoshop/
There you have BMCC sequences. For some reason I couldnt import the BMPCC single frames into Premiere.

Have you tested doing the post color in Speedgrade?

And please! Of course, first the MLV support! :D
Thanks so much and cheers mate!

chmee

ah. thats a video with the beta-cdng-importer from cs6 - this was crushed & buried long ago. i was wondering why/how the gpu-powered cdng-importer in CC actually should support ACR.. nope.

tonybeccar

Quote from: chmee on February 12, 2014, 07:16:48 PM
ah. thats a video with the beta-cdng-importer from cs6 - this one was crushed long ago. i was wondering why/how the gpu-powered cdng-importer in CC actually should use ACR.. nope.

I know it's outdated.. but you think they removed that feature?? Is there a reason? It was a good feature.. :/
I just downloaded the BMCC shots and it's still the same, grayed out. I do not have ACR 8.2 though, only 8.1, I can try and search for it...

Also, I notice that the dngs from the BMCC play faster in premiere.. and also when I play them in 1/4 or 1/2, they don't get that "greenish" look they have with your cdngs.. On full quality they look ok, but as soon as you hit play and quality isn't full the colors shift...

Will research more on that one.. to see if it's possible.

duey101

Quote from: tonybeccar on February 12, 2014, 05:48:02 PM
when they right click on a cdng sequence and they go to Source Settings, it opens in ACR and they can tweak things in there, close it and it updates on Premiere. Dreamy! Now.. I cannot seem to do it with your cdngs, the option is greyed out

The same for me, this option is greyed out.  You can see in this R3D tutorial http://vimeo.com/52037147 that he uses this option of source settings in PPro. 

I don't get why the DNG's came out without bad pixels but the TIFF's did?  I just ran this program http://www.starzen.com/imaging/deadpixeltest.htm on RAW files I took with the lens cap on, VF covered, ISO 100, and 1,2,5,15 second shots.  Converted those to uncompressed TIFF's in LR5.  Then tested those TIFF's with that Dead Pixel Test program at the default threshold setting of 60 and then halved that to 30.  No issues,  0 dead pixels / 0 hot pixels.

Anyone know a better way to test for dead pixels?  I don't see any in any images I shoot in RAW/JPG.

CR2's sent. 
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III, 60D, EF 70-200L, EF 85mm, EF 50mm, EF 10-22mm.  Platform: Dual Boot Win 7 Ultimate x64/Mavericks Hackintosh, PPro CC, LR5.

duey101

When this gets sorted out it will be amazing!  Working with what I have right now from raw2cdng is very nice in PPro!  Glitch free playback and scrubbing, very smooth on my Toshiba with 7200 rpm HD, 8 gigs ram, GEForce 540M GPU (which I tricked PPro into thinking it's a CUDA card).  Very good work flow and fast.

Thanks to chmee and tonybeccar!   :D

tonybeccar

Quote from: duey101 on February 12, 2014, 08:10:13 PM
When this gets sorted out it will be amazing!  Working with what I have right now from raw2cdng is very nice in PPro!  Glitch free playback and scrubbing, very smooth on my Toshiba with 7200 rpm HD, 8 gigs ram, GEForce 540M GPU (which I tricked PPro into thinking it's a CUDA card).  Very good work flow and fast.

Thanks to chmee and tonybeccar!   :D

Lol... please, thank chmee ;)

duey101

Truthfully, I thank every individual on this forum.  :D

Malex

Hi there, I don't know if I understood correctly but on the magic lantern facebook page it says :
"we've fix pink frame on the 5DIII and 60D"
Does it mean that RAW files coming from the 5DIII won't need the "partymode" anymore ?

chmee

I dont think so. I assume, its about erroneous files and/or frames, that can be restored..
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8237.0

for disabling the partymode, we have to debias the blacklevel and expand the values to the full-level of destinated bitdepth. means blacklevel = 0 whitelevel = (2^bitdepth-1). i doubt, its possible inside the body.

regards chmee

duey101

In the case with my 60D I think these corrupted pink frames as I posted earlier in the thread come from too slow of read/write speed for the camera itself so the frames get corrupted.  This happens on 3-10 takes so far for me on 1280x720 and my max frames are 400-415 so far in MLV mode and up to 15 seconds in RAW mode, and that is probably the best the 60D can do.  I'm going to have to save and get a 5D III!

duey101

I just discovered my sensor was filthy!  So I gave it a good cleaning with Pec pads and Eclipse so now it is clean, I'll try to shoot some more RAW and see if that had anything to do with the results I got.

chmee: you get my RAW files?

chmee

yes, got it. but i'm now in geneva for work. will code here on raw2cdng as well, but hadnt the time to inspect your cr2's..sry

duey101

A couple of more questions...  I cleaned my sensor, reshot RAW/MLV then took out my ML card and loaded a normal SD card (Sandisk 32gig 45mb/s') and then shot some plain old H.264 clips.  I loaded the new RAW/MLV clips into the timeline in PPro and marked the offending pixels locations with yellow circles (zoomed in 400X).  In all RAW/MLV files they appear in the same location.

If I load the same SOURCE MLV/RAW files into PPro with Drastic Media Reactor's plugin I get the same pattern but the pixels look entirely different (pluses and colored squares).

The same pattern appears in any RAW/MLV conversion or source MLV/RAW file dropped into PPro via CDNG conversion or DMR's plugin. 

Now the part I don't understand.  Next, I loaded the regular old Canon video H.264 clip and pixel peeped it at 400X also and I see no funky pixels at all, anywhere!  Neither in the marked positions that the MLV/RAW files show them or anywhere else in the H.264 clips.  My question is, if my camera has bad/dead/hot/other messed up pixels then why don't they show up in H.264 footage? 

Malex

I don't think it is really sensor problem even though I don't know anything about it, but in my case I got those pixel bug on many of my MLV with sound footage I had to use ACR to make them got away and convert my dng in AE (but it didn't work out with all my footage).
The point is I never had those bad pixel with Raw_rec, so I'm sticking with it for now.

duey101

Thanks Malex.  I get them with both, MLV and RAW.

duey101

Okay next test, I used raw2dng_escho.exe and got clean dng files (not cdng).  As those won't open in PPro, they do open in After Effects so I loaded them up in AE.  No funky pixels.  My camera is fine I now understand.  Keep on going, testing, winning!

arturochu

Quote from: duey101 on February 14, 2014, 06:14:20 PM
Okay next test, I used raw2dng_escho.exe and got clean dng files (not cdng).  As those won't open in PPro, they do open in After Effects so I loaded them up in AE.  No funky pixels.  My camera is fine I now understand.  Keep on going, testing, winning!

raw2dng_escho is my go to option at the moment too.
Chu

chmee

thanks for the hint. here's the thread to the problem: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9700.0

i put it on my todo-list.

Wartburg-Entertainment

Hello people,

I have no problem with RAW2CDNG, as it is a really great app.
But I have still the problem with the pink highlights in Premiere CC 7.2.1 :-(
And strangely, only in Premiere! In After Effects, and in the ACR Pink higlights are not seen.
What must adjust in Premiere?
It does not matter what I set in RAW2CDNG, only In Premiere I have the Pink Horror. :-(

greeting