The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chmee

@canon eos m
can you confirm some of the steps i described?
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Canon eos m

* if you drag/drop mlv-files, the tool starts immediately with converting to raw. confirm dragging and dropping
* these temporarily converted raw-files should lay inside the raw2cdng-folder. you see them?
cannot see these filed in the raw2cdng-folder or the output folder
* after that you should see the filename and main specs of the footage in the application-filelist. do they? are they ok? cannot see these in the application

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Canon eos m

Quote from: Canon eos m on February 03, 2014, 04:12:17 PM
* if you drag/drop mlv-files, the tool starts immediately with converting to raw. confirm dragging and dropping
* these temporarily converted raw-files should lay inside the raw2cdng-folder. you see them?
cannot see these filed in the raw2cdng-folder or the output folder
* after that you should see the filename and main specs of the footage in the application-filelist. do they? are they ok? cannot see these in the application

Error message:

MLV Dumper v1.0

Mode of Operation:
   -   Input MLV files: 'E:/5DM3'
   -   Convert to legacy RAW
   -   Output into 'M01-1554.RAW'
[ERROR] Failed to open file 'E:/5DM3'

Edit: Problem fixed. It was something to do with my directory. Shifted to another directory and now mlv's are converted with ease  :) Thanks!

Edit 2: Another problem. The files are all pink in ACR.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

chmee

For ACR-Applications (AE,Photoshop), Speedgrade and Resolve please use
*(5) 16bit linear
*(6) no partymode, Gamma 1.0
*(4) enable and fill in the according Model ID for right profiles. Examples
*(+) for Speedgrade you have to use a calibration-lut, i put one example into the zip.

For Premiere CC (works with Resolve as well):
*(5) 12bit linear
*(6) partymode enabled, Gamma 1.0
*(4) Model ID not needed.

Should work.

Canon eos m

Wow! Worked wonders! Thanks a million tons!  ;D

Edit: Files okay in ACR but pink in PPRO CC.

Malex

Hi chmee, have you seen this thread of a new MLV converter : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10198.0

I think that you and tonybeccar should join force to unify both of your apps.

since MLV got not the sound + this new MLV converter, many people are moving to .MLV

This converter is working fine with just few bugs with proxies. What this converter is missing is the partymode that you created! and it misses dragndrop also.
I guess just like MLdevs are working together to make ML, you guys could work together to make a great app for the ML community  ;)

chmee

Yes, of course i've seen. quite happy that he's doin' in the time i stuck because of a lot of work. But..

The reason i cant help there is (i think) his modular way. Giving the MLV to mlv_dump, recreating DNGs with the adobe tools or Prores with ffmpeg. To get it working with premiere, you have to recalculate the raw-data and write own TIFF-Tags into the DNG-Header. By now i dont know if the adobe-converter is able to do that.

But, i appreciate and respect his work really.

regards chmee

tonybeccar

Hey chmee and Malex, thanks so much for the appreciation!

As I said in my thread, I am NO programmer whatsoever!! Hehe.. I'm just a filmmaker who happened to do a little programming as a kid! So by now using Visual Basic wasnt that hard to understand. And chmee, you are absolutely right:

As an excited filmmaker I found this raw discovery AMAZING, yeah, as we all. So I can see that there is still work to be done, holes to fill, etc. So I decided with my little knowledge to try to make a workflow app, and yes, it points out to other programs, everything points out to either mlv_dump, dng converter or ffmpeg. My app is simply joining ALL the forces together, creating a chain and uniting the workflow. I understand that you chmee had programmed the converter from scratch, and that's very different. But maybe, my modular system can be embraced with a command line tool for cDNGs, if they could be extracted from the MLV and I get access to a command line, then we're grand. But of course, the best solution would be to implement it right inside the program.

If I'd to tell you the aim to my app, is to have just ONE app for magic lantern (excuse the ambition, hehe), but really, not to complicate things anymore.. just one app that can transform those hot MLV files into anything you want and you're ready to edit. And well I noticed that with cDNGs you get pretty much an easy workflow with Premiere.. anyway.. will be willing to help in what I can!!

Think about it ;)
Cheers!!!

duey101

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank both of you and the rest of the authors, programmers, and members of this community for all they have done and continue to do.  ML is an amazing piece of work!

Yes, MLV2CDNG is the "Holy Grail" for us ML users (.MLV format) and I await the day when I can just drop files onto a GUI and open up the converted files in PPro CC without any glitches or pink cast.  I was considering hiring one of those whiz kid programmers from freelancer.com and just have them write the program. 
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III, 60D, EF 70-200L, EF 85mm, EF 50mm, EF 10-22mm.  Platform: Dual Boot Win 7 Ultimate x64/Mavericks Hackintosh, PPro CC, LR5.

chmee

:) i took a test yesterday with a 5DIII-Build from Feb01.2014 (65572fa87394a2598ef4ee75c547b750d46c6963) - MLV-recorded, raw2cdng 1.48 with 12bit linear and partymode gamma 1.0 looked quite good - i was not expecting this.

online: mlv-file with a testchart - 141MB - ~100 frames 1280x720
http://dl.phreekz.de/M09-0151_testchart.zip

drag,drop,do - import into Premiere CC - worked..

* actually i should implement audio-output.. done.
* and i'm sitting on better dng-colormatrices.. fi for speedgrade. (fi D50 is not implemented)

regards chmee

andy kh

it would be so great if we can sync the audio and cdng automatically in resolve
5D Mark III - 70D

chmee

http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/

raw2cdng v1.4.9 is out. MLV-audio-implementation. please test.
mlv_dump.exe (feb08?!) with audio-support from g3gg0 is inside the zip.
* audiofile is found in the same path as dng's
* after conversion, in premiere you just have to import the dng-sequence, the audiofile will be merged automatically.

toDo for 1.5
* native mlv-implementation (but not that important, because we'll get all news from mlv_dump :)
* calibration-luts/matrices could be better.
* maybe whitelevel should be adjusted, you try and report, i hope.
* multithreads optimizing.
* things you report.

@andy_kh
resolve's got a strange (better: simple) behaviour with framerates. You have to "re-set" the project-setting to use another framerate - maybe that's the reason.. in premiere it work's well.

regards chmee

andy kh

wow!! this is amazing. one problem with me.. i can drag and drop mlv to raw2cdng from my memory card but i cant do it from hard drive. i wil do more test. raw2cdng v.1.4.9 is fantastic. this wil make my worflow very fast. thanks a lot chemme.
5D Mark III - 70D

chmee

try another pathes or partitions, just for tests and report, if it changes..
fi raw/mlv-files on root, and export-path just one path deeper..

reddeercity

tried the new convertor, works well . I got all white frames when I selected 12bit log bmcc
in premiere pro.

andy kh

yeah it works when i tried another partition
5D Mark III - 70D

chmee

@reddeercity
thanks for info, please try 12bit linear with partymode/g1.0

@andy_kh
like that :)

reddeercity

with the 12bit log bmcc I adjusted gamma to 1.0 & use partymode
that was better. can see the image now
Edit: that much better 12bit linear partymode + gamma 1.0
looks very close to ARC .

arturochu

Chu

chmee

[dualISO] will look on that. but, be sure i will use the cr2hdr.exe-converter from a1ex..

regards chmee

arturochu

Quote from: chmee on February 10, 2014, 12:50:25 AM
[dualISO] will look on that. but, be sure i will use the cr2hdr.exe-converter from a1ex..

regards chmee

nice to hear that, one constant problem i have doing most of dual iso video post processing is flickering (sometimes really bad, sometimes subtle)
Chu

tonybeccar

Hey chmee, so I finally tried your program, your workflow, AND IT IS AWESOME!!!! :D Amazing, simply amazing... the quality you get inside premiere pro with its rudimentary color correction tools it's the same as ACR, suuuuuper cool!

So was doing color correction and encounters pink edges on the picture, when you push the colors and add sharpen especially, here are 2 frame grabs, original cdng and after the grade:

Before: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5oy8fyl6bhsycnf/Before.tif
After: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecrznjbfu1p7puk/After.tif

Do you know what's happening? I did cDNG 12 bit linear, tiff header thingy and partymode gamma 1.0.
Thanks and awesome work mate!

PS: Changing topic.. as I installed the new premiere pro, I noticed that there is an option to encode prores in windows, WOW? It doesnt work for me as I had to downgrade quicktime because it didnt let me import image sequences in ae. But oh my, is it really?!

reddeercity

Quote from: tonybeccar on February 10, 2014, 06:07:15 AM
I installed the new premiere pro, I noticed that there is an option to encode prores in windows, WOW? It doesnt work for me as I had to downgrade quicktime because it didnt let me import image sequences in ae. But oh my, is it really?!
?? ProRes on Windows in Premiere Pro CC  ???
Where are you seeing this. I have been working in there and don't see this.
The only way to encode prores on windows it though FFmeg in a standalone program
like "Cinemartin" or 5DtoRGB (I use that for all my h264)

chmee

@tonybeccar i cant really differentiate between recalculating-problems on my site and dng-importer/handling-failures on adobe-site anymore.. i've seen such problems with bmcc and bolex-files as well..

!!!! important to know: when working with cdng-files, you should only use 32bit-filters - the rest is 8bit and will destroy all advantages of more bitdepth.

@arturochu i didnt used dualISO yet, so we will see, if i can handle that :)

regards chmee

duey101

raw2cdng v1.49 is very slick.  It is fast!  raw2cdng>>ACR >>batch adjust/save>>Import from PPro media browser>> done.  So far this is the best option I have found, works really good chmee.  I use 12/16 bit linear/party mode/Gamma 1.0, works good, no pink cast files look good in PPro.  One question, is this supposed to work with .mlv files also?  If so, how to convert .mlv?

Very nice!  Good work.
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III, 60D, EF 70-200L, EF 85mm, EF 50mm, EF 10-22mm.  Platform: Dual Boot Win 7 Ultimate x64/Mavericks Hackintosh, PPro CC, LR5.