[SOLVED!] Dead pixels - Hot pixels - Banding in RAW recording

Started by crazypig, May 23, 2013, 08:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

For the 1000th time: if you don't run the pixel peeping tests, there's nothing I can do.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5614.25

Also try shooting with a manual lens (or unscrew the Canon lens). Who knows...

jonzero

I can`t figure out how to do the pixel peeping, but I can confirm the banding issue on the latest build (7fdfc08) on both electronic and manual canon lenses.

a1ex

If you can't follow something as simple as downloading some autoexec and hitting "don't click me", I wonder how did you install ML...

jonzero

sometimes i wonder about that myself.. but anyway, when i download the autoexec and boot with it my camera just locks up with a frozen frame and it says "34" in the uper left corner.. so i can`t get into the ML menu.

jonzero

ok i got it working, will start peeping at em now.

jonzero

1 scrambled
2 scrambled
3 scrambled
4 scrambled
5 Normal image with a few color pixels - NO BANDING
6 scrambled
7 Normal image with a few color pixels - NO BANDING
8 Normal image with a few color pixels – VERTICAL BANDING
9 Normal image with a few color pixels - NO BANDING
10 scrambled
11 Normal image with a few color pixels - NO BANDING
12 scrambled
13 Normal image with a few color pixels - NO BANDING
14 scrambled
15 Normal image with a few color pixels - NO BANDING
16 scrambled
17 NORMAL IMAGE - VERTICAL BANDING
18 scrambled
19 Hot pixels along contrasted lines - NO BANDING
20 scrambled
21 scrambled
22 scrambled
23 scrambled
24 Normal image with a few color pixels - VERTICAL BANDING
25 scrambled
26 Normal image with a few color pixels - VERTICAL BANDING
27 scrambled
28 Normal image with a few color pixels - VERTICAL BANDING
29 Normal image with a few color pixels – NO BANDING
30 scrambled
31 Normal image with a few color pixels - VERTICAL BANDING
32 scrambled
33 scrambled
34 scrambled
35 NORMAL IMAGE - VERTICAL BANDING
36 scrambled
37 NORMAL IMAGE - VERTICAL BANDING
38 scrambled
39 NORMAL IMAGE - VERTICAL BANDING
40 scrambled
41 scrambled
42 scrambled
43 scrambled
44 scrambled
45 scrambled
46 scrambled
47 scrambled
48 scrambled
49 scrambled
50 scrambled
51 scrambled
52 scrambled
53 scrambled
54 scrambled
55 scrambled
56 scrambled
57 scrambled
58 scrambled
59 scrambled
60 scrambled
61 scrambled
62 scrambled
63 scrambled
64 scrambled
65 scrambled
66 scrambled
67 scrambled
68 scrambled
69 Normal image with a few color pixels - NO BANDING
70 scrambled
71 Normal image with a few color pixels - NO BANDING
72 Normal image with a few color pixels – VERTICAL BANDING
73 Normal image with a few color pixels - NO BANDING
74 scrambled
75 Normal image with a few color pixels - NO BANDING
76 scrambled
77 Normal image with a few color pixels - NO BANDING
78 scrambled
79 Normal image with a few color pixels - NO BANDING
80 scrambled
81 NORMAL IMAGE - VERTICAL BANDING
82 scrambled
83 Hot pixels along contrasted lines - NO BANDING
84 scrambled
85 scrambled
86 scrambled
87 scrambled
88 Normal image with a few color pixels - VERTICAL BANDING
89 scrambled
90 Normal image with a few color pixels - VERTICAL BANDING
91 scrambled
92 Normal image with a few color pixels - VERTICAL BANDING
93 Normal image with a few color pixels – NO BANDING
94 scrambled
95 Normal image with a few color pixels - VERTICAL BANDING
96 scrambled
97 scrambled
98 scrambled
99 NORMAL IMAGE - VERTICAL BANDING
100 scrambled

so no perfect number in there as i can see it, it`s either pixels or banding, or both.

Audionut

a1ex has made it quite clear on a number of occasions that he does not experience the issue, and cannot, and will not, fix the issue without details from the pixel peeping build.

General discussion/banter about the issue is fine, but any users contributing nothing to the thread, and specifically, mentioning issues regarding specific builds without having run the build from a1ex to help fix the issue, can expect a 3 day ban.

See this post for information about how to help solve this problem.

1%

There was no fix for me... all types on 6D enable the stupid faux peaking.

leaving the type at default seemed like the best idea...

Easy to reproduce the sprinkles (focus an image with decent bit of contrast, ie wires) but hard to reproduce the different FPN that is produced. The FPN was in .422 and H264 as well.

The FPN is fairly easy to remove with de-noising plugins... the sprinkles are really not.

1%

At least yours doesn't freeze running the test.

squig

Quote from: a1ex on May 29, 2013, 12:00:20 AM
If you can't follow something as simple as downloading some autoexec and hitting "don't click me", I wonder how did you install ML...

LOL

There's definitely no stripes in my footage so I suspect some setting in the camera is triggering it. In addition to performing the peeping test can anyone who's seeing the stripes/banding restore their MK3 to the default settings in the Canon menu and turn global draw and every other ML feature except raw recording off and shoot another test and upload a DNG. Make a note of the ISO, WB setting, shutter speed, lens, and nightly build number/date.

EDIT: Anyone who's experiencing the stripes/banding should do a test with FPS override set to 24/25fps exact and report whether that resolves the problem.

1%

The banding for me comes from regular places... ISOs like 160, fps override, etc. Mostly on under-exposure or OK exposure at high ISO.

jonzero

Quote from: squig on May 29, 2013, 01:45:33 AM
LOL

There's definitely no stripes in my footage so I suspect some setting in the camera is triggering it. In addition to performing the peeping test can anyone who's seeing the stripes/banding restore their MK3 to the default settings in the Canon menu and turn global draw and every other ML feature except raw recording off and shoot another test and upload a DNG. Make a note of the ISO, WB setting, shutter speed, lens, and nightly build number/date.

could you share a dng?

squig

I zoomed in 400% on my footage from yesterday and there's barely even any FPN. I shot it at 200 ISO. I have everything but raw recording off in both menus. I've never seen this banding/stripes on anything I've shot since the 1st raw build.

squig

Quote from: jonzero on May 29, 2013, 01:50:48 AM
could you share a dng?

There's no point, there's nothing to see. The ACR denoiser was set to 0 luma and 25 chroma. To reduce the stripes on other peoples DNGs I set it to 50 luma 50 chroma.

1%

1%

mvejerslev

I haven't seen stripes or the hot pixel problem as described yet in my Mark II footage. I've seen just a hint of a flicker in one clip. https://vimeo.com/66414746 Using may 24 build from a.d. and the 'alternative' raw module. In fact, I'm pretty stoked so far. It has gotta be donation time.
5D Mark II, PC

squig

1%

Then try some modes besides exact fps. Low fps is just a quick way to reproduce.

noisyboy

Amazing to see that the "sprinkles" (love that that's what we're referring to it has ha!) have completely disappeared when testing on the latest module for 6D. Finally have some time to spare so I can run the don't click me test if it's still required or is it not needed now?

squig

Quote from: 1% on May 29, 2013, 02:57:18 AM
Then try some modes besides exact fps. Low fps is just a quick way to reproduce.

So what you're implying is people are experiencing this issue because they haven't configured their camera correctly for 24p recording.

1%

Kinda. FPS should be 23.976 in theory.. none of the modes are really wrong... just exact works really well via trial+error.
All FPS overrides *should* work.

The other modes are more likely to produce defects so if you're not seeing ANY.... I'm not seeing them most of the time either... I didn't even find any sprinkles in normal shooting (with lv_af_raw) but tested some more and they were there... then we found the cause was this.

I don't want to be the guy who gets sprinkles (or excessive FPN) and has to edit them out :) That said, people are really peeping hard core.

squig

Nothing wrong with a bit of hardcore peeping  8) :o

Anyone who's experiencing the stripes/banding should do a test with FPS override set to 24/25fps exact @ 100 multiple ISOs and report whether that resolves the problem.

fascina

Jonzero made a good job with his color pixels / banding analysis. I've just also done the complete test twice (though I only come to RAW type 74 because my camera always hang up at raw type 56 or 74). I made the test with 5D MarkIII and 8ba641e build. I also reseted all canon settings and turned of all other ML settings and played around with FPS.

However, results were always exactly as in Jonzeros list: Either color pixels, or vertical banding (repeating exactly every 8 pixels) or both.

For me, that is so tragic. I really hope Alex finds a way to fix the banding OR color pixels.

From all RAW types, mode 19 had fewest color pixels. But still too many color pixels.

Alex, do you think you might find another way to get out the color pixels OR banding, or do you assume that we will be stuck with it for a long time?