[SOLVED!] Dead pixels - Hot pixels - Banding in RAW recording

Started by crazypig, May 23, 2013, 08:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

What about vertical stripes? Can you reproduce this? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5490.0

FYI: before may 20, the raw type was 35, after 20 it was (and still is) 19.

squig

As far as I know the stripes disappeared before the 17th build, somewhere around the 13th? I shot a lot of stuff with the 17th build on the weekend and it was clean. I'm onto the 19th build now.

a1ex

Don't remember the exact date, but this was the only change regarding raw image type. Can you run the test too?

squig

I've just despatched a Pinot hand crushed by Hobbits so I'll get onto it tomorrow. On any particular build or a bunch of them?

1%

All non freezing types seem to work on 600D.

RenatoPhoto

Reporting 5D3 with new compile bfd891f

Standard RAW video, CROPPED VIDEO, AND 60 FPS VIDEO tested at 24, 23.97, 29.9 fps from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 at 16:6 SHOW NO BAD PIXELS.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

a1ex

What about vertical stripes? (squig?)

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: a1ex on May 27, 2013, 06:19:16 PM

Reporting 5D3 with new compile bfd891f   VERTICAL BANDING in Blue Sky

I can get vertical noise (I dont think is banding) in the sky by applying excessive sharpening.  ACR stadardr sharpening setting is 25.  If I apply more than 50 the noise begins to concentrate in vertical lines.

Sharpened at 100 with ACR and 25 Unshar pmask in Phototshop.  Original a 600% cropp stretched from 120 pix to 640 pix

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

squig

Quote from: a1ex on May 27, 2013, 06:19:16 PM

The 17/5 build looks good, no stripes, no bad pixels. I'll try to shoot something with the 19/5 build tomorrow.

1%

I see no extra noise just leaving the type at default.

squig

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on May 27, 2013, 06:31:27 PM
Reporting 5D3 with new compile bfd891f   VERTICAL BANDING in Blue Sky

I can get vertical noise (I dont think is banding) in the sky by applying excessive sharpening.  ACR stadardr sharpening setting is 25.  If I apply more than 50 the noise begins to concentrate in vertical lines.

That's just garden variety FPN not the stripes, but hey at 600% it could be aliens for all I know. I think the stripes are long gone but I've been stuck in post workflow hell for the last couple of days so I haven't kept up with the last couple of builds.

sergiocamara93

Last build (016ea7d ) seem to have fixed the issue for me!!!
I have only made a couple test but there's nothing I can see. Thanks a lot, devs!
5D Mark III

Danne

Quote from: squig on May 27, 2013, 07:12:57 PM
That's just garden variety FPN not the stripes, but hey at 600% it could be aliens for all I know. I think the stripes are long gone but I've been stuck in post workflow hell for the last couple of days so I haven't kept up with the last couple of builds.
;D ;D ;D

[email protected]

With the Magic Lantern May 27th(016ea7d), i haven't hot pixels, but now i have vertical banding.

In the previous Magic Lantern May 25th(1e0738f), no vertical banding and hot pixels ...

Samir

Hi Guys. Anyone know which was the last build without hot pixels or this vertical banding which was just mentioned. I forgot which build I last installed which didn't have these issues. I just took the day to go film some stuff and found out the build I have installed which I think is May 21st, has the hot pixels.

[email protected]

"With the Magic Lantern May 27th(016ea7d), i haven't hot pixels, but now i have vertical banding.
In the previous Magic Lantern May 25th(1e0738f), no vertical banding and hot pixels ..."

See my footage :

a1ex

fascina

With the newest build (7fdfc08), color pixels are gone, but same old banding is back.

http://www.webpage-design.org/000000.dng

DNG 200% magnified:

Great new feature that the files are named by date and number!  :-)

a1ex

Unless you run the pixel peeping test (see above), you'll be stuck with this. I don't see any banding in these samples.

squig

The "same old banding" in that shot is FPN, it's the Canon sensor  doing that not ML. This thread shows the difference between FPN and a banding/stripe bug that was affecting some earlier builds. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5490.0 What ISO did you shoot it at?

A1ex 7fdfc08 is a sweet build  ;D

fascina

I would love to help with the pixel beeping test but I don't know how it works. I downloaded the autoexec file from this post and combined it with 28th build,  but my camera hangs up when I try to load the modules. Maybe someone can please explain more in detail about how to make the pixel beeping test.

fascina

I'm really sorry, but I still get banding with the 28th (7fdfc08) build on the 5D Mark III. I don't understand why this banding isn't a problem for others or why the others don't see it.
But for me, this banding would make it impossible to use the RAW footage for pro use.

Don't misunderstand me, the RAW footage is the best and sharpest stuff I've seen for a long time (color pixels are also gone), but the banding is still there and really distracting.

Photo at ISO400 with 7fdfc08 built at 200% magnification:

http://webpage-design.org/000379.dng

a1ex

Read the post again, I did not mention anything about modules...

sebamax

Issues on 28th (7fdfc08):
As I shoot in raw mode (1880/800-2:35) enabling separate audio wave, recording starts ok, but as I stop it the Build crashes on (red light is permanent red and the information in superimpose still)
As I look for files inside the cards, I detect 0 files in SD card and a corrupted file with a strange file "backup.Raw" inside the CF
That just as enabling separate audio wave, selecting Beep or Off it's all ok

AnotherDave

I'm having the same issue since the May 27th build.