Another 5Dmkii RAW Test

Started by No Def, May 23, 2013, 06:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Def

So I wanted to jump on the bandwagon and see what was up.  I used a Sandisk 60mbs CF card and was able to get roughly 600 frames of 1880x720 before glitch.  1280x720 seemed to run smoothly but I didn't take it through the whole process, just let the camera roll for a bit. 

Please, don't judge the footage too harshly as I just ran out in the backyard for a few minutes and didn't spend a lot of time on the setups.  It's a little herky-jerky and ill-composed.

I love how much you can recover in the highlights and shadow.  I didn't use noise reduction but it could surely use some, especially on the severely pushed shots like the sky with bushes. Moire becomes a real problem with the additional clarity, which is ample.

My post process was RAW2DNG into Adobe Camera Raw to Quicktime 7 and then Premiere.  Lost a lot of color saturation and contrast for whatever reason when taking the TIFF files into Quicktime to export .mov's.  I added a bit back in Premiere.

The h.264 web compression softens it up again, but honestly in the 720 resolution I would only think it suitable for web viewing.

There are definitely some cool possibilities here, and to echo the thoughts of everyone else, what an accomplishment by the ML team!  The 5dmk3 seems to be where it's at as far as the higher resolutions and better moire/aliasing handling.  Some of the anamorphic stuff I've seen is truly inspiring.

Can't wait to play more and see more tests from the rest of you fine folks.  If you have any questions about what I did, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best,
Chad