Problems installing ML on Canon 5D Mark III

Started by squig, May 22, 2013, 02:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squig

They'll most likely update the firmware but you can reinstall 1.1.3.

squig

hjfilmspeed

Do you think you could post the may 17th build?

aaphotog

squig

Quote from: aaphotog on May 24, 2013, 06:43:54 PM
So why wasn't it working?

Bad memory allocation in the crash test dummy MK3 :D

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: squig on May 24, 2013, 06:37:41 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34113196/Camera%20stuff/ML/ML-5D3-RAW_VIDEO-f686b8c.zip
Don't replace the ML folder, only the modules are in there.

Thank You! Im assuming i also need to put the bootflag.fir in there too. right? sory just a noob

squig

SF Film

I have attempted to load the firmware onto my Canon 5D Mk iii with absolutely no success at all. Perhaps someone can tell me where I am going wrong?

Updated the firmware in the camera to 1.2.1
OEM Canon battery is charged to 100 percent
All accessories are removed
Cleared all camera settings
Camera set to M
Transcend SDHC 8 GB class 10 card; formatted within camera. Wait 5 sec to open cover.
No CF card in slot. (Tried both ways)
Down loaded alpha 3 software from ML site and unzipped.
SDHC card placed in a card reader and ml-5D3-113.fir copied to card.
Card ejected and with camera off placed in the camera.
Camera on and menu to Firmware ver.
Set button pressed.
Camera inicated with orange looking for firware (does not show firmware), LCD screen is than dark.
Light on set button red steady than off four seconds, than on, than off four seconds...
Camera turned off and red light remains steady.
Camera battery ejected, card removed.
Camera battery back in place, camera turns on and operates normally.

I am out of ideas and not sure where I am going wrong.
Any assistance is appreciated.
Thank you

lourenco

Quote from: SF Film on May 27, 2013, 05:52:12 AM
I have attempted to load the firmware onto my Canon 5D Mk iii with absolutely no success at all. Perhaps someone can tell me where I am going wrong?

Updated the firmware in the camera to 1.2.1

It only works on 1.1.3. You need to go back to 1.1.3 to make ML work. Given you updated to 1.2.1 it is not compatable to ML.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

macvanp

I have been having this same problem and after speaking with Canon last night, I honestly think that they have quietly re-engineered the firmware to disallow the cameras ability to downgrade the firmware. Similar to the earlier poster, I am getting the flashing red light and a black screen.  Can anyone provide a detailed fix; I wanna shoot RAW too.  :)

macvanp

Okay, there is an update to my most recent post for those of you that are interested.  I went back to the Cinema 5D website and used the following link to get the Canon firmware version 1.1.3 and it worked.  Please see the link below:

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=17898

My next step is unknown at this point but I will check back in as soon as I get everything loaded.

macvanp

SUCCESS.  Everything is loaded.  Now I need to put something together.

Thanks to all of the posters for all of the input throughout this forum.

soundhound

I'm having a similar problem. I used to have a nightly build on my camera, and RAW worked perfectly. I temporarily upgraded the firmware to 1.21 to do a video shoot, and then downgraded back to 1.13 (obtained from  the Cinema5D site). After I did this, the nightly build wouldn't run at all after performing the firmware update with ML.

I have downloaded the latest nightly build (Aug 2, 2013), and this won't work at all either. After performing the ML firmware upgrade process, I get the "bootflag enabled" notice and a smiley face. Checking the firmware, I see the ML firmware is installed. Everything as it should be except that when I press the trashcan to bring up the menu, nothing....

The weird thing is that I can install the Alpha 3 build and it works perfectly!

Any ideas?????

VisualPursuit

Canon has stated that 1.2.1 cannot be downgraded, which leads to the assumption that there might have been a silent HW update in the past. This in turn would explain that users have different experiences regarding 3rd party batteries and AFMA aberrations after up/downgrading.

I had the AFMA problem and will certainly not downgrade again.

Too bad that there is no word on development for the current firmware.
It seems like all effort is put into outdated firmware, and nobody offers
an answer about the reasons for that.

One would think that it would be much smarter to first port what was
achieved already in Alpha 3 to the latest firmware and then proceed from
there instead of later having to start all over.

If anybody knowledgeable reads this: Is there any development for the
current firmware going on?

I am not asking a release date!

a1ex

Will you stop asking the same thing over and over?

I'm not aware of any issues caused by downgrading. Can you show some evidence? not just speculation.

soundhound

When I first upgraded to 1.21 with firmware I got from Canon''s website, a message on the screen said that the firmware could not be downgraded. That turned out to be false; I could easily downgrade to 1.13.

Anybody have any ideas on a possible solution on my not being able to use the RAW nightly builds, but Alpha 3 works fine?  I really could use the RAW capability again!

soundhound

Just wanted to follow up, as I found the problem.  It turns out that the ability to install ML (at least on my 5D MKIII) is SD card sensitive. I was originally using an 8GB SanDisk card which didn't work with ML, but when I replaced it with a 32GB HP card, I was able to install and run ML just fine.

I have no idea why this should be!  I'm not using the SD card for recording, just to hold the ML program. I formatted the original card both in the camera, on my computer, and the card just wouldn't work with ML (although I could use it to hold photo files etc just fine...).

Just wanted to throw this solution out there in case anybody else runs across this problem; try using another brand of SD card!

VisualPursuit

About the AFMA problem: Canon lists it in the description of the 1.2.1 firmware update as follows:
13. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera changes the AF microadjustment value to -8.

I have had this problem and since sharp images are mission critcal for me I cannot go back to 1.1.3,
which is of course just my personal problem.

In two German forums with a total of 350.000 registered users a number of people have reported
two phenomena, that are immediately linked to up/downgrading firmware.

1) After the upgrade 3rd party batteries that previously worked have been refused.
Some report the batteries not working at all, others (like me) report the camera asks for
permission to use these batteries and then worked like it should. Some of those with
cameras that refused the batteries could not heal the problem by downgrading again.

2) Some People who did not have the AFMA -8 problem before upgrading had it after
downgrading. Given, there is a chance that they did have it but did not notice before.

Canon also states in the firmware upgrade descripion:
Notes:
・ Once the EOS 5D Mark III camera is updated to version 1.2.1, it cannot be restored
to a previous firmware version (Version 1.0.7 through 1.1.3).

They also mention a firmware revision 1.2.0 that was never rolled out as
standalone upgrade but obviously part of factory revision deliveries.

My theory now is that there have been silent hardware upgrades and they
have found a way to make 1.2.1 work on all hardware revision platforms.
Theory 2 is that there might be different versions of 1.1.3 firmware out there,
and downgrading to the standalone upgrade will cause problems on bodies
that have been shipped with a later silent hardware upgrade that included
an upgrade to 1.1.3 without a change of firmware revision numbers.

So - being able to downgrade to the standalone firmware 1.1.3 does not
necessarily mean that this is problem free. One might end up with a body
that has a silent hardware update running a firmware revision that was
written for a body without that update.

I might be wrong on all this, but why should people make up their reports?

Obviously their cameras display a different behaviour with firmware 1.1.3
after up/downgrading to Firmware 1.2.1 and back to 1.1.3. Which in turn
must mean that there must be different versions of 1.1.3, or 1.2.1 changes
things during the upgrade that are untouched by the downgrade.

However, this is too much uncertainty for me.

Please understand that I am not trying to bug anybody or push anybody
towards anything. I want to help, and I can wait for whatever comes our way,
ML 2.3 stable runs fine on my 5D MkII. It's just that the 5D MkIII sees little
video work for lack of a working ML on firmware 1.2.1.

But again, that is my personal problem, not yours. The main part of my work
remains photography, and AFMA -8 does not help that too much.

I appreciate your work, and I am a happy camper with the 5D MkII and 2.3 stable.

Octavio79

I stumbled upon this topic and I have the same exact problem. I have tried everything and at the moment have given up on installing ML on my 5DM3.