Problems installing ML on Canon 5D Mark III

Started by squig, May 22, 2013, 02:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squig

Quote from: a1ex on May 22, 2013, 12:52:32 PM
Thinking to create a backup file (a few K), and if saving the footer fails, ML would delete the backup file and try again. In theory, this should succeed without knowing how much free space is left.

Good plan.

A mate of mine came around tonight with his spanky new MK3 and I spent like an hour trying to get ML running on it and every attempt failed. It had 1.1.3 on it but I even re-installed it, I tried reformatting cards, tried the pre raw alpha, everything I could possibly think of. The same cards all ran ML on my MK3. I'm perplexed. ??? He was devastated.   :'(

sergiocamara93

Quote from: squig on May 22, 2013, 02:50:12 PM
Good plan.

A mate of mine came around tonight with his spanky new MK3 and I spent like an hour trying to get ML running on it and every attempt failed. It had 1.1.3 on it but I even re-installed it, I tried reformatting cards, tried the pre raw alpha, everything I could possibly think of. The same cards all ran ML on my MK3. I'm perplexed. ??? He was devastated.   :'(

I would suggest the possibility of Canon blocking ML after the RAW hack, but it's practically impossible for them to have done it that fast (I mean in logistic terms). Have you tried re-installing 1.1.3 or reseting camera settings?
5D Mark III

Danne

Quote from: squig on May 22, 2013, 02:50:12 PM
Good plan.

And of course you made the card bootable? Just in case...

squig

Yeah I tried every trick in the book. He's had it for a couple of months so it's not a raw block.

bumkicho

Perhaps you already have, but if not, have him try with your cards.

squig

Quote from: bumkicho on May 22, 2013, 05:26:57 PM
Perhaps you already have, but if not, have him try with your cards.

That's the first thing I tried and when that didn't work I did a clean build, then I re-installed 1.1.3, tried a pre raw alpha build too. I'm wondering if there's been some kind of hardware change that ignores ML  ???

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: squig on May 22, 2013, 05:35:54 PM
That's the first thing I tried and when that didn't work I did a clean build, then I re-installed 1.1.3, tried a pre raw alpha build too. I'm wondering if there's been some kind of hardware change that ignores ML  ???
Was Firmware downgraded?  When?
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

squig

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on May 22, 2013, 07:02:27 PM
Was Firmware downgraded?  When?

No it hasn't been, funny thing is mine has.  ???

RenatoPhoto

A fluke or... its coming from the hardware...  Maybe a good idea to write the serial no. for future reference
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Danne

Quote from: squig on May 22, 2013, 07:17:23 PM
No it hasn't been, funny thing is mine has.  ???

A year ago when I bought a later version of the 5d mark 2 I had to reinstall the same firmware for the camera which was already installed from factory to get magic lantern to work. I,m not sure if you tried to reinstall the canon original firmware yourself or if you only tried on the factory-installed version?

squig

I reinstalled the firmware, no cigar.

Yeah if there's any more reports of this we'll have to start tracking serial numbers.

a1ex

So the alpha 3 doesn't load? what is the exact reaction? (LED blinks etc)

squig

Correct, Alpha 3 wouldn't load either. I don't have it here in front of me but the Canon firmware just loaded up as usual, no CF card check etc..

aaphotog

I believe I read somewhere of an issue as such(don't quote me), and the fix was to "reset to factory settings"
Try resetting to factory settings, reinstalling 1.1.3 then resetting factory settings again, then try installing ML

squig

I reset and reinstalled but didn't reset a second time.

a1ex

Can you post a video of the process?

Be sure to include the firmware menu before and after loading ML FIR, and the card contents.

squig

I'm not sure I want to go through that painful experience all over again. Is there any reason you can think of why a card with a working build wouldn't work on another camera? I know it's not the CF card slot because I was able to reload 1.1.3 with it. I used a genuine battery and nothing else was attached to the camera except a Leica prime.

a1ex

Yes, the bootflag has to be enabled in the camera first.

Also worth trying the SD card.

scrax

Quote from: a1ex on May 23, 2013, 07:47:51 AM
Also worth trying the SD card.

Do we have a way to check if the bootloader code is the same? can we dump it?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

a1ex

Yes, I can try the dumper that we used for EOS M and 650D. First I want to see if the FIR is loading properly.

squig

I'll give it another shot next time I see him.

squig

If anyone is planning to buy a new MK3 in the next week don't be too alarmed, I was doing this very late last night and I'm just a dummy so there's always the chance I missed something.  ;D

Kabuto1138

Quote from: squig on May 23, 2013, 08:57:54 AM
If anyone is planning to buy a new MK3 in the next week don't be too alarmed, I was doing this very late last night and I'm just a dummy so there's always the chance I missed something.  ;D

Hey Squig,

I'll probably be getting a MK3 this weekend, any news? Were you able to make it work?

squig

I haven't seen him yet but I think I probably just messed up setting the bootflag.

hirethestache

I've had to send my Mk3 into Canon for repairs, I'm hoping to death they don't send it back with a block. The camera was restored to 1.1.3 prior to shipping it off, so fingers crossed.
@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D