12-bit (and 10-bit) RAW video development discussion

Started by d, May 22, 2013, 10:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mp52

Hello,

I recently picked up a 550D and having some fun with ML. Currently am able to get continuous RAW 1280x326 2.35:1 12 bit @24fps cropped without sound using mlv_rec. As I understand it, sound does not work with any overridden frame rate settings - correct? This is using the last compressed bit build I can find for the 550D from Jan 14th.

No luck yet with 10 bit recording. Just a quick thanks to all who've developed (are developing) ML - I'm hooked! Also to echo Keith Wu's post from a few days ago - there are still a few of us 550D users out there keen to test some more recent builds if any of the gurus are up to it.

Quote from: KeithWu on May 24, 2017, 03:05:14 AM
Finally i can't really figure out how to compile and i noticed nothing new has been put out for the 550D.
So i was just wondering if someone could compile a new one (unless you guys stopped working on it)
because i would love to keep testing builds and giving feedback!

reddeercity

Hey guys im new here, but ive got some info that might help some people working on the 550D builds.
Thanks  but there isn't anything new since Jan. 2017
If you what to help I need more people to get involved with reverse engineer of Liveview
reading this will help , some of my 10-12bit  development work  here

Finally i can't really figure out how to compile .......
Believe it or not up until about 7 mouths ago I had no idea how to compile magic lantern
let alone compile different branches e.g. 10-12bit raw video etc. ....
So the best way was to jump in with both foot and make lots of mistakes & read lots of posts .
So ended up with the following , (should work on MAC also)
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18259.msg174934#msg174934
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18259.msg175475#msg175475

For the Digic4 cam users: There still a lot of people very interested in this , the download speaks for them selves .

Updated 10-12bit downloads
by RedDeerCityTV, on Flickr

So yea I'm working on this , but very slowly.

mp52

Thanks for the update reddeercity - encouraging stats and great to hear there's still activity for the Digic4 cam. I'd like to help out down the line once I'm familiar with the camera and ML (only had it a couple of weeks!). I am an OSX user and programmer - not C but have compiled C apps.

Right now I'm trying to determine what theexpected behaviour of crop_rec on the 550D - so I can establish whether it should be working or not in any ML builds. I'm currently running your 1 Dec 10/12bit build for which I assume crop_rec is not meant to be functional? The module is enabled but the setting is dimmed under all the combinations of video and bit-depth settings I tried. Am I right in thinking that, to invoke, crop mode, I just need to have the module enabled, set any native 720/1080p mode and push Zoom in LV once before starting to record? When I do this with this build the camera chokes almost immediately on record start and needs a reboot.

From crash log:
ASSERT: dwDeadLine != 0xFFFFFFFF
at LVState.c:5842, task LiveViewMgr
lv:1 mode:20

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2016Dec01.550D109

Is there a recent build you can recommend which does have working crop_rec for the 550D (14bit). I'd like to see it working so in time I can find a way to help with getting 10/12bit crop_rec support available for this camera.

reddeercity

crop_rec  is mainly for 5d3 ,
The build has all possible modules and not necessary apply to All Cameras. The only modules you need are mlv_rec.mo , mlv_snd.mo & or raw_rec.mo(mlv_lite) but all my work is around full mlv+audio .
Here the source code for 10-12bit video , this is what I being working from , and my goal is 1:1 functional thou I think the best chance is 12bit as it is has less corruption (read over the last 15 pages on the this thread and I think you will understand)
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/43176afffdca?at=raw_video_10bit_12bit

enricominisini

hi, i read all the discussion but i don't understand how to fix this problem with frames with the 600d

thanks

Walter Schulz

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro
And an unprocessed file to play with would be fine, too.

Ceterum censeo experimental nightly build page esse delendam.

papasapien

hey i just heard about the new 10 bit RAW recording option and i just wanted to know what the reason anyone would want to record 10 bit when there is already 14. is there like better quality or longer recording times at higher resolutions? thanks

ilia3101

No, quality is not better, but 10 bit gives 29% smaller file sizes, which allows for more footage in the same space and longer record time for slow cameras.

papasapien

ooo nice . thats real neat. thank you. I am testing it out now on my 700D

papasapien

Quote from: enricominisini on June 22, 2017, 04:06:48 PM
hi, i read all the discussion but i don't understand how to fix this problem with frames with the 600d

thanks

hey did you figure out how? i have the same problem with 700D

papasapien

oh wait someone back through the previous pages said to use mlv producer. download that .it worked for me.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mlvproducer/files/latest/download?source=files

DomeCGI

Can someone please advice me on the 10- 12 bit mode for the 7D ? it's works? wich resolutions e frame rates?
Is possible for ppl that have tried the new 10-12 bit mode add the data with new data sheets on the ML raw charts?

Thnak you all very much in advance.

Walter Schulz

Lookup ML's Twitter account and follow linked EOSHD page about "Magic Lantern Raw Video – Current camera capabilities, updated for 2017". If you follow the link you will get some info about DiGiC IV not supported. User Reddeercity is working on first DiGiC IV port for this feature but there is no release date. Don't hold your breath. 7D unique architecture (Dual DiGiC IV) -> Some times is sucks to be unique.
My advice: If there is a feature missing for your cam act like this feature will be missing forever.

Boboche

Any reasons why there's no builds for the 5d2 anymore? I've scrubbed the forums and while there was pink issues at the beginning, it looked like if everything was working fine?, I see the post above states its only 14bits but at some point there were still some features partially working, what's wrong exactly? Impossible to do due to architecture or more work needed?

cheers,

walter_schulz

Surin Dmitriy

Just tested 10 12 bit 28 jun. Something completely wrong whithin the play module - all I can see - no image warning...
5D3

a1ex

Except for some asserts that pop up the console after a few seconds of playback, it works fine here. Solved the asserts - they were related to the fix for this issue.

papasapien

hey you guys something is wrong with the june update on this 10-12 bit raw experiment.
im using the 700D.
in the May update i could record 10bit
in a multitude of different resolutions easily and continuously.
but in this new June update i can not.
its like my write speed maxs out at around 33mbs per second. (hovers from around 27 to 33)
so i cant really record anything without it stopping after around 15 seconds.
i was recording 1600 at 2:1 aspect ratio and 1280 at aspect 4:3 ratio.
those are the only ones i really used although im pretty sure it applies to every scenario.

papasapien

also i never could play back 10 bit raw video with MLV_PLAY module.
even with the May update.
it would just show black

a1ex

Screenshot showing your settings and speed difference?

Surin Dmitriy

Quote from: a1ex on July 02, 2017, 12:09:45 AM
Except for some asserts that pop up the console after a few seconds of playback, it works fine here. Solved the asserts - they were related to the fix for this issue.

I could sucesfully replay this files using older builds...I read the topic you pointed but dont understand hot to fix the bug...
5D3

a1ex

Can you upload a small file that can be replayed in the older version, but not in the newer?

Surin Dmitriy

Quote from: a1ex on July 02, 2017, 01:20:07 PM
Can you upload a small file that can be replayed in the older version, but not in the newer?

The first foto - playback whithin the newer build, the second 1012bit2017Apr025d3123
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9HplG9-d6ywZGVEZ3VZaW5oUkE
5D3

g3gg0

header start looks a bit uncommon.

[MLVI]
[RAWI][INFO][RTCI][EXPO][LENS][IDNT][WBAL][STYL][VERS]+++++[EXPO][LENS][RTCI][EXPO][LENS][WBAL]
[VIDF][NULL]
[VIDF][NULL]
[VIDF]...

is this recorded with mlv_rec instead of mlv_lite?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

g3gg0

can you check if you had a lot of .idx files on your card that wasn't able to play back?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!