12-bit (and 10-bit) RAW video development discussion

Started by d, May 22, 2013, 10:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Quote from: jc on December 11, 2016, 09:49:11 PM
Has there been any further looking into how the losses cr2 raw compression is applied ?

Yes.

AWPStar

MLVProducer. p.s. sorry for my bad english.

ilia3101

I don't know if what I have achieved counts as successful, but I think I've got closest to working 12 bit on the 5D2. As we all know raw_rec produces split frames all the time, and I haven't had any success with it, but mlv_rec produces no split frames and only a small bar of noise at the top in 12 bit, or a large one in 10 bit, so I tried to move it down using digital dolly, and it actually got rid of the bar of noise! Clean, 12 bit, 1856x1044, continuous... AND MLV... on the 5D2... with potential to have audio!!! but of course tilt shifted down.

Proof:

If mlv_rec has something that is more functional it could be transferred to raw_rec right? Also there must be a work around to get it in the middle, maybe by adding blank space at the top of the video and making it so that digital dollying all the way down is now the middle? I'm sure this is progress, isn't it?

dfort

Posted a new set of test builds of the raw_video_10bit_12bit branch now with the new and improved raw_twk module.

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads

dfort

Quote from: Danne on December 18, 2016, 08:42:07 PM
eos m mlv_lite
1 - All is working but no overlay buttons. Can,t delete etc.

Found the same EOSM issue here. Turn off raw_twk and the overlay buttons are back but of course it doesn't playback 10bit files.

Works fine on the 700D.

g3gg0

mlv_rec got a fix for the alternating frame errors with lower bit depths, along with some other stuff that was outdated or simply odd.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Danne

QuoteFound the same EOSM issue here. Turn off raw_twk and the overlay buttons are back but of course it doesn't playback 10bit files
?
My tests was done around raw_twk module with eos m and other cameras here.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5601.msg176617#msg176617
There were never any issues with mlv_play alone on eos m.

Quotemlv_rec got a fix for the alternating frame errors
Great! More than welcome.

dfort

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 19, 2016, 02:28:32 AM
mlv_rec got a fix for the alternating frame errors with lower bit depths, along with some other stuff that was outdated or simply odd.

Alternating frame errors with mlv_rec at 10bit are still present on the EOSM and 700D. It seems to be better but I haven't done a regression test.

[EDIT] Oops missed that last commit -- yes, the alternating frame errors with lower bit depths is fixed. Thanks! Now we can record audio with 10/12bit raw video.

Making a new set of test builds.

Danne

Danne

5D mark III
Just tested mlv_rec with audio on 5D mark III and both 10bit and 12bit works really good. Very nice. Crop_rec module is also working with audio and all frames looked great. I didn't,t test this very much so more testing.

Eos m
I keep bugging about this cam but its a great little cam that needs all the love it can get.
Records mlv_rec 10/12bit fine. If raw_twk.mo is added and you try to record sound will make the camera crash kind of. There is a faulty message saying 'threads failed to start' I think and then the camera needs to be restarted. If disabling raw_twk everything works, except for previewing 10/12bit files of course.(Yeah, and button overlays still missing with raw_twk enabled)

g3gg0

the EOS M has too few thread ids. so this is kind of a known issue we cannot do much about :(
less modules that use threads would help.
(also reworking modules that they only start/end threads when needed would help)
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

Danne

I see, all in all great working cam delivering continuous 10bit recordings on highest resolution.
Any thoughts on mlv_play buttons? They seem vanished into oblivion once raw_twk starts running?

g3gg0

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

Danne

@g3gg0
Thanks a lot for taking the time on this.
Just to be sure here. Mlv_play buttons(delete, play, pause, scroll etc) If not going through raw_twk. Link you are posting tells me I have to go through file manager instead? Conclusion is that raw_twk can,t maintain the otherwise working buttons?

*Updated more info here
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9062.msg176677#msg176677

CITY-U1001

50D 10bit
last build 10bit_12bit.2016Dec18.50D109
view with MLVProducer

50D | EFS 18-55 | last build crop_rec-3744x1080_24fps_50D-eXperimental.4.57pm.2020May06.50D109.zip

AWPStar

@CITY-U1001
QuoteI just tried to decode 10 and 12 bit's raw files.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15271.msg176632#msg176632

I think i can implement it in several days.
MLVProducer. p.s. sorry for my bad english.

VanGogh7

Quote from: Danne on December 19, 2016, 01:42:09 PM
5D mark III
Just tested mlv_rec with audio on 5D mark III and both 10bit and 12bit works really good. Very nice. Crop_rec module is also working with audio and all frames looked great. I didn't,t test this very much so more testing.

Eos m
I keep bugging about this cam but its a great little cam that needs all the love it can get.
Records mlv_rec 10/12bit fine. If raw_twk.mo is added and you try to record sound will make the camera crash kind of. There is a faulty message saying 'threads failed to start' I think and then the camera needs to be restarted. If disabling raw_twk everything works, except for previewing 10/12bit files of course.(Yeah, and button overlays still missing with raw_twk enabled)

Hi Danne, how is the workflow to convert 10bit including the soundfile?  for the MLV I use MLVFS..and for the soundfile named ?? MLV_REC.TMP ??

thanks

MAG

New build "magiclantern-raw_video_10bit_12bit.2016Dec18.5D3113"

Tested one 5D mark III 1.1.3 with mlv_rec and raw_twk

Work on 10, 12 bit also in crop mode in high res really nicely ! Also work in slowmo 50p with stretch mode.
Could it be possible to do somethings and record slowmo without stretch in full frame mode ?

dfort, I have no idea how you did it but you are dat king ! Huge deep thanks and respect

arrinkiiii

Having the same problems that @Ilia3101 have but with the 7D

Going trie the new version of @dfort

Danne

@VanGogh7
Audio is included and revealed automagically when opening the file in mlvfs. Mlv_dump will build a solid wav file as well upon converting to dng files.

@MAG
With the crop_rec module I think it,s posible to record unstretched mv720 mode(not mv1920)

Also if previewing the MLV files with raw_twk enabled please test to go back a few files then forward a few files. Do this a couple of times and see if screen turns black?

arrinkiiii

@dfort

With your last version for the 7D it got the same problems... maybe is needed to merge/compile the new update from the mlv_rec that got a fix for the alternating frame errors in lower bit depths.

Thanks=))

VanGogh7

@Danne

Thanks, strange, first on my half-full Card ( Komputerbay 64GB ) MLFVS was not able to create a .wav file from the MLV_REC.TMP. After formatting the card now all works fine! :)