12-bit (and 10-bit) RAW video development discussion

Started by d, May 22, 2013, 10:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

Quote from: eNnvi on December 13, 2016, 05:26:07 PM
Working on 6D and 7D

Great. Make sure and check out the comment @nikfreak posted on the 650D/700D pull request. You're probably way ahead of me!

budafilms

Can someone upgrade the first post, it's from 2013...!

eNnvi

i think i got 6D almost working, need my tester to tell me if the last build works.

Can someone please share me a 60D ROM1.bin file? need it to find the way to find (strange to say :P ) the address of 7D

Levas

Great work eNnvi  :)
Rawslurp for 6d.
Happily willing to test, is the source somewhere available on bitbucket?

a1ex

eNnvi: unfortunately, the 60D won't help you solving the 7D. It's old generation, and the dual processor makes it probably the most difficult of all models.

From what I've tried so far on those old models (without much success yet), we have at least two problems:
- the raw buffer is not allocated all the time (as it's done on the new models) -> easy to fix, see the 1100D raw branch
- the vsync hook currently used doesn't appear to be the best for getting a raw image
- the exact behavior of EDMAC in case of input/output dimension mismatch is not very well known

Solving those models may require either some serious low-level research, or a great dose of luck. I'm just scratching the surface here.

D_Odell

Im getting some really great images in lowlight with 10 and 12-bit mod. Really superb work from you guys. Thanks!
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

ShootMeAlready

Did a little testing on my 600D.
At 12 bit, 1280 @ 2:35 / 23.9fps, got 31s.  For Indy film, this is about 90% of your shots.
At 10bit, 1280 @ 2:35 /23.9fps, continuous.  For Indy film, the few shots longer than 30s switch to 10 bit. 

Selected MLV_raw, and notice that playback at 12 bit crashes camera, but at 10 bit, it doesn't but its preview is only white with verticle lines. raw_twk.mo provides 12bit & 10bit previews

I am mega impressed with the improvements. 
1280 @ 2:35/24 fps 10 bit raw, finally makes the humblest of cams a useful raw video cam (new learner or student).
Sorry I have not been using raw video in over 1.5 years.
I am using Windows 10, what's the best automated work-flow to convert my MLV_raw into PPro or Resolve friendly format?
(PM please as I dont want to go off topic on a dev forum). 

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Danne

For 10/12bit playback add the excellent raw_twk.mo module which g3gg0 recently polished.

ddelreal

How's 550D? Last time I tried it had pink every other frame.

a1ex

How hard is to type 550D in your browser's search box?

ddelreal

I did, I just thought that maybe somebody had info that wasn't yet shared here. Sorry I ruffled your feathers.

g3gg0

Quote from: Danne on December 17, 2016, 07:18:44 PM
For 10/12bit playback add the excellent raw_twk.mo module which g3gg0 recently polished.

i just polished mlv_play and raw_twk and pushed them into unified.

mlv_play directly uses raw_twk now if available.
-> no raw preview lockups during recording

(also added a zoom feature when pressing zoom button during playback)

needs for sure some tests.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

ShootMeAlready

Processed the 600D 1280x544 (2:35), 24fps (canon default) for 29s.

Used Mystic to convert to DNG, but got few lost frames.  In LR saved to TIFFs 16bit sRGB, and built clip in AE with skipped frames.   Got wierd wabble when panned.

Tried again by DNG dropped from card into Resolve Lite, had bigtime shadow noise but no wierd wabble on same pan. 

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

reddeercity

@ShootMeAlready the only Correct extractors are MLVFS and new updated mlv_dump
all others are not designed to extract bit reduced raw (10-12bit) you may get a some what usable
image from 10bit raw with other convertors but it will not look right or have noise etc.... .
the others are designed to read 14bit raw . If others do it will be only by chance .

dfort

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 18, 2016, 01:05:32 AM

Could you please merge unified into raw_video_10bit_12bit or at least raw_twk into raw_video_10bit_12bit? Seems like the reduced bit raw files really need it.

mlv_rec directly uses raw_twk now if available.

You mean mlv_play, right?

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: dfort on December 18, 2016, 07:31:15 AM
Could you please merge unified into raw_video_10bit_12bit or at least raw_twk into raw_video_10bit_12bit? Seems like the reduced bit raw files really need it.

+1

Quote from: dfort on December 18, 2016, 07:31:15 AM
You mean mlv_play, right?

Pretty sure that's what he meant.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

g3gg0

yeah i meant mlv_play of course. corrected that last post.
grafted that patches into the branch. happy testing ;)
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

a1ex

The unified branch doesn't have variable bit depth support in raw.c, so I'm not sure what was the reason for pushing directly to unified. Ran a quick test on 5D3 and recordings at lower bit depths are corrupted.

Sounds like a rushed move to me. Looks like the mlv_rec changes were committed by mistake, sorry, all fine now.

g3gg0

wait, you used unified (which doesnt support 10/12 bit video) to play back files that were recorded with raw_video_10bit_12bit branch?
how did you get the lower bit depth recordings with it? :D

g3gg0

ah now i understood. initially i wanted to graft the mlv_play patch that adds variable bit depth only.
things went wrong and the whole patch was grafted into unified, giving 10/12/14 bit mlv_rec in unified which obviously doesn't work :)

fixed now, thanks a1ex

dfort

@g3gg0

I see that raw_twk is now in the raw_video_10bit_12bit branch--Thanks!

A couple of questions.

Shouldn't the raw_twk module be added to Makefile.modules.default on the raw_video_10bit_12bit branch since it is required for playing back 10/12 bit video?

Does raw_twk load automatically with mlv_play or does the user have to turn on both modules? Obviously having to turn on just mlv_play would be better but merging raw_twk into mlv_play might be even better, if that's possible.

g3gg0

i'd say it makes the most sense in ML core.
but it is not as good as i want it to be, guess a1ex sees it likewise.

so either keep it as optional module and research how to make stuff clean, faster and more stable
or integrate that half-cooked stuff into core, requiring some workarounds.

well, i'd prefer to keep it as an (surprisingly stable) option for those who need the high performance.
and meanwhile we look for the golden solution with full engine support.

chmee

@all
could someone post some 10/12bit samples? (samples-thread)

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Danne

Some initial testing around the blazing fast raw_twk module. I also tested it with the magnificent crop_rec module on a 5D mark III.

Pros
5D mark III mlv_lite
1 - The 3xzoom mode grayscale preview crash bug is gone!
2 - Playback works great also with the magnificent crop_rec module(tested centred 5xzoom)
3 - 10bit, 12bit, 14bit works

550D mlv_lite
1 -  Briefly tested on a 550D and all seems to work the same as for the 5D mark III but with the lack of slurp stream causing 10bit, 12bit files corruption(another issue not related to raw_twk).

eos m mlv_lite
1 - All is working but no overlay buttons. Can,t delete etc.

Cons (initial testing summary)
1 - Scrolling back and forth between mlv files will soon cause the previewing to turn black. This behaviour exists for both mlv_lite and mlv_rec
2 - Eos m still lacks play, pause, next, delete buttons

@Chmee, posted some samples of my cat and linked the clips in your samples thread.

GutterPump

Quote from: Danne on December 18, 2016, 08:42:07 PM
Some initial testing around the blazing fast raw_twk module. I also tested it with the magnificent crop_rec module on a 5D mark III.

Pros
5D mark III mlv_lite
1 - The 3xzoom mode grayscale preview crash bug is gone!
2 - Playback works great also with the magnificent crop_rec module(tested centred 5xzoom)
3 - 10bit, 12bit, 14bit works

Amazing new ! Can't wait to test the new 10/12bits build coupled with the super crop_rec module version :)