12-bit (and 10-bit) RAW video development discussion

Started by d, May 22, 2013, 10:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D_Odell

Ones again. Tremendous work devs! Really appreciate the development.

If I could wish for the coming build, since I can't program, or have any code skills (I only make hardware and such mods). When shooting MLV instead of RAW I get these problems:

• The rec symbol dosn't come up.
  • Global Draw isnt working as it does in Nightly builds.
  • Also I often 5x crop shoot to get higher res, but then the screen is gray with black stripes while recording. This doesn't show if GD is turn off but I really need GD for setting the frame before the shoot, and going inside menu and turning on off is a bit of a hassle while doing documentary observations with ML.

I know I can't ask any of this to be done but it would be swell!

Best,
David
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

maxotics

Thanks Teamsleepkid, was wondering about that.  Will try it on the EOSM.  It always warms my heart when someone says, "Hey Max, you turned me onto Crack, thanks!" :)  Is there an instruction page anywhere, hard for me to piece together from threads.

Frank7D

I just tried dfort's 12/18 7D build and 10 and 12 bit are working fine (but with grayscale preview frozen if used). What is not supposed to be working?

snipeua

Dfort please make a new build at 1.13, the same as you did at 1.23! Thank you!

Teamsleepkid

Max there's a download a few pages back like on page 35 it's dforts build. Hope I'm not stepping on his toes:) it's a ml folder you've done it before.. install magic lantern. Then in the settings under raw it says 10 bit 12 bit. I use 10 bit because it's higher resolution. For post I think you have to use mlvfs or mlv dump? I have no idea about other software I use mlvfs works great. Might be more addicting than crack:)
EOS M

dfort

Quote from: snipeua on December 29, 2016, 07:28:33 PM
Dfort please make a new build at 1.13, the same as you did at 1.23! Thank you!

What's the problem with this build? It should have the same features as the 5D3.123 build I recently posted.

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-raw_video_10bit_12bit_crop_rec.2016Dec24.5D3113.zip

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on December 29, 2016, 08:13:27 PM
...it's dforts build. Hope I'm not stepping on his toes:)...

No worries. We're all sharing our experiences.

Quote from: Frank7D on December 29, 2016, 04:46:09 PM
...What is not supposed to be working? ...grayscale preview frozen if used...

Just rearranged your comment to answer your own question. Ok, there's more to it than that. Apparently 5D2 and 7D users are reporting some success with 10bit/12bit even though all the pieces aren't quite finished yet.

Quote from: maxotics on December 29, 2016, 03:26:38 PM
Thanks Teamsleepkid, was wondering about that.  Will try it on the EOSM.  It always warms my heart when someone says, "Hey Max, you turned me onto Crack, thanks!" :)  Is there an instruction page anywhere, hard for me to piece together from threads.

@maxotics -- I'm another one who saw your raw video tests on the EOSM and got me interested in Magic Lantern. To try out 10bit/12bit from the test builds I posted turn on the mlv_rec and/or raw_rec modules. raw_rec is actually MLV Lite in this branch so you'll end up with MLV files instead of the RAW files you were used to when you were doing your tests. For processing the 10bit/12bit MLV files use either MLVFS or g3gg0's new mlv_dump builds. If you want to record sound with mlv_rec you can turn on mlv_snd but note that you still can't record audio with raw_rec. You can also playback in camera by loading mlv_play but for 10bit/12bit playback you'll also need to load raw_twk. Hope this helps.

Danne

Audio won,t work with raw_twk module on the eos m. You cannot delete video other than from file manager with raw_twk enabled. Other than that Eos M is one hell of a little beast with 10bit enabled. I use it a lot nowadays.

domasa

QuoteW * H * BD * FPS / 8 /1024 / 1024
(W &  H — frame width and height in pixels, BD — bitdepth, which now can be 10 or 12 instead of 14, FPS is frames per second, and converting to megabytes per second)

Is it right? Where is BD for second and third color? (R-G-B)

jpegmasterjesse

I'm having some success with my 5d2 and the December 19th builds.

MLV 10 BIT in Crop Mode is working perfectly minus frozen preview.
GIF: https://gfycat.com/ReflectingMadCod

However standard recording (not in crop mode) every other frame contains part of the 1st frame.
GIF: https://gfycat.com/ThoseObeseAllosaurus

Frank7D

So on 7D I can get the Canon preview to work if I have preview set to "auto" and before I press record I cycle through the various displays using the "info" key and end on Canon preview. This is while using the 5x crop mode (not sure about non-crop yet).

PaulHarwood856

Hello everyone,

I tested 10 bit Raw Video recording on a Canon T3i. I was able to record 1280 x 544 for 25 minutes on a 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/SEC SD Card.

One pink frame was recorded on the 6th DNG, and there are pink, green, blue tints, on the highlights of a fan I recorded.

However, they aren't on every dng frame, it seems every other.

I exported an H.264 version of the video and included 6 dngs along with MLVFS settings.

Here is a Google Drive link to these files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bz5n0qYxIkVON0g1WUVVMDM1NWc?usp=sharing

MLRawviewer 1.4.3 will not play these files, they look like white static.

Also, using MLVFS, I'm getting Embedded when trying to use Cinelog-C profile in Adobe Camera Raw. I will make sure to post to the MLVFS Forum, but I just wanted to mention this for 10 bit raw recording. This might be due to the camera model though.

Sound worked fine for this video, I just have it muted for privacy reasons (was having a conversation with someone while this was recording).

This was from DFort's December 18th Build, found here: https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads

The settings I had for recording this video: 1280 x 544 Resolution, 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio, 10bpp, Global Draw Allow, Preview Options Auto, and the rest of the settings default. Override Audio settings on with 30 db Mic Boost. MLV Sound On. MLV_PLAY, MLV_REC, MLV_SND, AND RAW_TWK were the modules enabled.

I was using a Lanparte LPE8 Battery Brick with LPE8 Dummy Battery to help avoid overheating.

I hope this helps in some way!

- Paul Harwood

dfort

@PaulHarwood856

MLRawviewer won't work with 10bit/12bit MLV's.

Why do you have Bad Pixel Fix set to Aggressive?

One corrupted frame on a 25 minute recording is pretty good. Of course it would be better if there were none.

The color highlights on the fan are a problem. Would you be willing to try a debug build to see if we can fix that?

Danne

@Paulharwood856.
Also try this version of mlv_dump (ml-dng branch) since it will work 10/12/14 bit files as well as provide correct white balance, camera model id tags(Not using localized camera model tags which can,t be used with acr dcp files)
mlv_dump
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/ml-dng-dannephoto/downloads/mlv_dump

Code here ml-dng (dmilligan) reworked upon by bouncyball, maintained and updated with g3gg0 latest mlv_dump changes which I recently added.
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/ml-dng-dannephoto

PaulHarwood856

Hey dfort,

I found Bad Pixel Fix helps with the 7D, maybe I'm wrong? Maybe not for the T3i? Yeah I can try a debug build, that would be great. Can you guide me into what needs to be done? I haven't done this before.

- Paul Harwood

PaulHarwood856

Hey Danne,

Ok great, I will try this version of mlv_dump, thanks! I'll make sure to check this page you linked to see updates and changes. Awesome!

- Paul Harwood

Danne

Also try without bad pixel fix and see if that get rid of the strange highligts
QuoteThe color highlights on the fan are a problem.

dfort

Quote from: PaulHarwood856 on December 30, 2016, 02:51:52 AM
Yeah I can try a debug build, that would be great. Can you guide me into what needs to be done? I haven't done this before.

Ok, here's the debug build:

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-10bit_12bit_RAW_DEBUG_TYPE.2016Dec29.600D102.zip

It might work right away. The issue is that several cameras need to have the PREFERRED_RAW_TYPE defined, the 600D might be one of them. I started with a value of 0x10 which might do the trick but you can try other values. Go to the Debug menu, select the first item and you'll be able to change it.

Here's a more detailed explanation of what is going on:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/780/increase-raw_debug_type-limit/diff

maxotics

I was able to do various  10-bit videos on the EOS-M.  1600x900 is amazing!  Files play fine in latest MLVProducer.   Amazing!  dfort you are DA MAN :)   I see builds for the 7D and it sounds like others have got it to work.  Should I stick with the EOS-M or should I, can I, try on 7D? 

PaulHarwood856

Hey Danne,

I just tried without Bad Pixel Fix, and the strange highlights were still there, but much less pronounced.

- Paul Harwood

PaulHarwood856

Hey dfort,

Ok great, I will try this debug build out! Thanks.

- Paul Harwood

PaulHarwood856

Hey maxotics,

If you get any success with the 7D, please post here. I haven't been able to get the settings right. Thanks.

- Paul Harwood

PaulHarwood856

QuoteHello everyone,

I tested 10 bit Raw Video recording on a Canon T3i. I was able to record 1280 x 544 for 25 minutes on a 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/SEC SD Card.

One pink frame was recorded on the 6th DNG, and there are pink, green, blue tints, on the highlights of a fan I recorded.

However, they aren't on every dng frame, it seems every other.

I exported an H.264 version of the video and included 6 dngs along with MLVFS settings.

Here is a Google Drive link to these files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bz5n0qYxIkVON0g1WUVVMDM1NWc?usp=sharing

MLRawviewer 1.4.3 will not play these files, they look like white static.

Also, using MLVFS, I'm getting Embedded when trying to use Cinelog-C profile in Adobe Camera Raw. I will make sure to post to the MLVFS Forum, but I just wanted to mention this for 10 bit raw recording. This might be due to the camera model though.

Sound worked fine for this video, I just have it muted for privacy reasons (was having a conversation with someone while this was recording).

This was from DFort's December 18th Build, found here: https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads

The settings I had for recording this video: 1280 x 544 Resolution, 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio, 10bpp, Global Draw Allow, Preview Options Auto, and the rest of the settings default. Override Audio settings on with 30 db Mic Boost. MLV Sound On. MLV_PLAY, MLV_REC, MLV_SND, AND RAW_TWK were the modules enabled.

I was using a Lanparte LPE8 Battery Brick with LPE8 Dummy Battery to help avoid overheating.

I hope this helps in some way!

- Paul Harwood
Modify message

Although MLRawviewer will not play 10 bit or 12 bit .MLV files, I was able to install MLVProducer via Wineskin Winery for Mac. This plays 10 bit, 12 bit, and 14 bit files, nice!

- Paul Harwood

Rewind

Quote from: domasa on December 30, 2016, 12:06:31 AM
Is it right? Where is BD for second and third color? (R-G-B)
This is right. You forgot the Bayer pattern. There are only WxH pixels on the matrix. All three colors are among them.

dfort

Quote from: maxotics on December 30, 2016, 04:20:57 AM
Should I stick with the EOS-M or should I, can I, try on 7D? 

The EOSM should be working fine. From the reports testers have been posting it looks like it works on the 7D in crop mode which is sort of weird because CONFIG_EDMAC_RAW_SLURP is not defined on that camera.

Of course you're welcome to try it yourself and post your results.

BTW--I noticed some differences in the resolutions displayed between mlv_rec and raw_rec (MLV Lite) on the EOSM:

mlv_rec

raw_rec

reddeercity

Quote from: dfort on December 30, 2016, 07:35:39 AM
BTW--I noticed some differences in the resolutions displayed between mlv_rec and raw_rec (MLV Lite) on the EOSM:
That's because only bit reduction (10-12) was implemented and not a1ex's fine resolutions code , so basically it's the same old MLV+audio
with bit reductions . Some thing on my 5D2

Quote from: dfort on December 30, 2016, 07:35:39 AM
looks like it works on the 7D in crop mode which is sort of weird because CONFIG_EDMAC_RAW_SLURP is not defined on that camera.
Don't forget the 5D2 work fine in mlv2.0 crop mode too  ;D  flawlessly
in fact I just finished a recording 8:00 green screen shot @ 2144x1076 10bit @23.976 + audio 16 bit 48khz
cool thing was 8 min at over 2K = only 30GB when extracted I had over 49GB each frame was 4.5MB @16bit Cdng (11,190 frame) and even had my HDMI Zacuto Evf  connected
All frames clear of any corruption  8)
I thing I notice was normally I have a few hot pixel in crop mode but noticed there was only one in 10bit mode , so does bit reductions reduce the load on the sensor ?
or just lucky .   

Edit: I'll post the results in a day or two