Camera as TC generator?

Started by AnotherDave, July 04, 2013, 02:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherDave

So listen, I know it "isn't possible" to have the camera record TC during RAW recording... but I have a thought about how to aid in syncing to a secondary source, and I wanted to run it by y'all.

Could the camera OUTPUT a timecode signal (Time of Day) via the headphone jack while recording raw?

It's be similar to this thing http://www.lockitbuddy.com/website/ but instead of using the MIC input, you'd use the headphone jack to output to a wireless audio transmitter, and record that signal an open channel on your audio recorder.  *For example, taking up 1 track on your Zoom H4n for TC sync?

Could that work?  Would people be interested in such a feature?  It would really be helpful to not have to slate every RAW shot.

Thoughts?

mageye

I remember using SMPTE to synchronise multi track reel to reel tape machines to computer based sequencers. Indeed I think this is a good idea if it's at all possible?.

The audio synchronisation with RAW video is a real problem. At the moment I am reliant on the old skool method of using a clapper board.

But the clapper board technique is not so good for 'run and gun' style shooting.

So yes this would certainly be a good option. The more options that are explored for sound synchronisation the better.

Sound is an often overlooked part of the production. Sound is what makes the difference from 'home video' to 'cinema' (it's not the only thing but I would certainly say it has equal importance in quality video(film) production)

Bring it on!!! ;D
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

a1ex

It's very easy to toggle the LED on and off at every frame (just do that from vsync cbr). Does it help?

AnotherDave

With this, I'd imagine you'd write a module that would read the time-of-day from the internal clock in the camera, and turn it into a sound that can be recorded like timecode is...  basically.

http://www.philrees.co.uk/articles/media/timecode.wav

You're RAW file could then be synced up with the secondary source IF the creation time of the file is accurate to either then the recording started or stopped...

mageye

The CinemaDNG format has support for timecode (I think its SMPTE). If this data could be written into the RAW file and simultaneously output to the audio then maybe this would be possible ???

My technical knowledge of how this would be achieved in software/hardware is very limited. It's just ideas or suggestions. :-\

The CinemaDNG Format Specification is here (Check out page 10):

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/cinemadng/pdfs/CinemaDNG_Format_Specification_v1_1.pdf
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

AnotherDave

But we're not technically writing to CinemaDNG format directly.  Also, TC information would only need to be saved for the start of the first frame - the decoder (IE RAWMagic) could add the TC information to the files from there on...

If this output signal was readable by something like a SoundDevices 788t (or something) you could automatically sync your audio in Resolve.

I hope a developer runs with this idea :-).

This would make production with the camera a snap.