50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handbanana

Hey guys sorry if this has been asked before but I just got a 50D the other day (200 bucks from a photographer friend).

2 questions. Should I be using raw_rec or mlv? I've been suing mlv just to mess around so far.

Also, when go from iso 3200 to 6400 (h1) I don't see a difference on the screen? Same with h2. They look like 3200. Is 3200 the limit for video? I had seen one of the first test videos was supposedly shot on H1 or H2.

Thanks!

LEVISDAVIS

MLV is your better alternative for all Canon's alike. However the 50d performs flawlessly on .raw. Thinking that MLV will outlast .raw in the "future scheme of things."

ISO 3200 is all the 50d wrote... When shooting raw you are not processing the signal. ISO 6400 and 12800 are digital / processed algorithms for the 50d... After further review that "original ISO 6400 test shoot" was in fact shot at 3200. Your discovery of H1 and H2 ISO is spot on! Pretty cool, huh?
Levi S. Davis

Luzestudio

Can anyone recommend a portable device for recording with acceptable quality?
-----
www.luzestudio.es

PressureFM

Quote from: Luzestudio on January 30, 2014, 09:29:34 AM
Can anyone recommend a portable device for recording with acceptable quality?

Audio or what?

Zoom H4n and Zoom H6 is used a lot.

menoc

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on January 30, 2014, 08:59:38 AM
MLV is your better alternative for all Canon's alike. However the 50d performs flawlessly on .raw. Thinking that MLV will outlast .raw in the "future scheme of things."

ISO 3200 is all the 50d wrote... When shooting raw you are not processing the signal. ISO 6400 and 12800 are digital / processed algorithms for the 50d... After further review that "original ISO 6400 test shoot" was in fact shot at 3200. Your discovery of H1 and H2 ISO is spot on! Pretty cool, huh?

I should add that if you're Mac centric, the support to convert the mlv to dng frames is limited - there's better support on the windows platform. Also, I'm not sure if it's my process or the utilities but my mlv dng's didn't play nice with Adobe Camera RAW, I was still getting some  magenta cast which I do not get with regular RAW dng's . . . It may have something to do with the metadata, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

PressureFM

Quote from: menoc on January 30, 2014, 03:29:56 PM
I should add that if you're Mac centric, the support to convert the mlv to dng frames is limited - there's better support on the windows platform. Also, I'm not sure if it's my process or the utilities but my mlv dng's didn't play nice with Adobe Camera RAW, I was still getting some  magenta cast which I do not get with regular RAW dng's . . . It may have something to do with the metadata, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

To quote myself ... MLV support is fine in OS X.

Quote from: PressureFM on January 29, 2014, 08:36:50 PM
Indeed there is, everything can be found in this thread.

Otherwise users can search for "recursive0.4.command" :)

menoc

Quote from: PressureFM on January 30, 2014, 04:05:32 PM
To quote myself ... MLV support is fine in OS X.

Pressure, I understand what you're saying. "Fine" is probably the right word, but until there's a "RAWMagic" type utility for MLV Raw, the non-techies out there are going to find the current process to convert MLVs a bit difficult.

menoc

Quote from: PressureFM on January 30, 2014, 01:11:22 PM
Audio or what?

Zoom H4n and Zoom H6 is used a lot.

. . . TASCAM DR-40, JuicedLink pre-amp, and Audio Technica AT897 shotgun mic. That's my setup.

dogmydog

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on January 30, 2014, 08:59:38 AM

This info on ISOs is pretty cool indeed!
Since there's this MLV batch processing now, I'll probably switch to MLV in my next shoot :)
What are the flaws of the MLV compared to raw now?
From my tests so far, only the first 3 pink frames.
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

lionelp

Quote from: dogmydog on January 30, 2014, 08:00:48 PM
This info on ISOs is pretty cool indeed!

Definitely useful!
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

djfremen

Quote from: dogmydog on January 30, 2014, 08:00:48 PMFrom my tests so far, only the first 3 pink frames.

This isn't every time. For me, it's like 20% pink / corrupted frames (sometimes as many as 5). This is a big deal because if you write an app to process / convert DNG it will reject the entire string of images. Hopefully this can be addressed in future updates.

x4kep

Hi, guys
Where is show true shutter speed? In LV or ML menu? Thanks!

Andy600

Looks like you are using an older build? That was a bug and it was fixed a couple of weeks ago.

Download the latest nightly: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

or

Tragic Lantern 50D users - I've just uploaded the latest Tragic Lantern 50D build: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

WARNING! - I haven't tested this build thoroughly so only use it if you know what you are doing.

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

x4kep

Quote from: Andy600 on February 01, 2014, 03:59:05 PM
Looks like you are using an older build? That was a bug and it was fixed a couple of weeks ago.
Yes, thanks!

dogmydog

Quote from: Andy600 on February 01, 2014, 03:59:05 PM

Download the latest nightly: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

or

Tragic Lantern 50D users - I've just uploaded the latest Tragic Lantern 50D build: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

WARNING! - I haven't tested this build thoroughly so only use it if you know what you are doing.

Tyvm, Andy! What are the new features of this build compared to the jan 14th?
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

ayshih

Quote from: dogmydog on February 01, 2014, 06:32:23 PM
What are the new features of this build compared to the jan 14th?

The two items I'd highlight are:

• The indexing of the 50D's raw buffer was incorrect, which was throwing off RAW histograms and zebras and slightly throwing off black-level estimation.
  • The file manager has much better performance for directories with many files.
This is not an exhaustive list; there have been other bug fixes and tweaks.

Edit: oh, there was also the fix to the Calibration Illuminant (see http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10119.0)
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

lionelp

Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

dogmydog

Hey guys,

Thx to the amazing tips and TL updates, I present you my latest raw video.

It was shot on a 50D with Canon 17-55mm 2.8 USM IS (handheld shots holding half-shutter) and Canon 70-200mm 2.8 USM IS II.
I also used a polarizer filter 77mm from B+W.
CF cards were Lexar 32GB 1000x, Transcend 16GB 1000x, Transcend 32GB 1000x and Sandisk 16GB 60mb/s

Software:
Tragic_Lantern_50D109-Andy600.2013Dec15_Histogram_fix_&_MLV_Improvements
raw_rec module only, 1586x896, 16:9, 23.967 fps, Exact FPS, GD Off, Dialog Timers Off

Unloaded raw files by RAW Batchelor 3.0 Beta (lossy, Adobe DNG Converter)
CC in ACR in After Effects CC
Export to Premiere CC by DxHD 175mb/s 23.976 1080p
Coded in H264 Youtube Full HD Premiere CC preset
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

dogmydog

Does anyone knows if the issue with cropmarks on external HDMI monitors are fixed in TL? I'm having a hard time monitoring on my sucky Lilliput 669GL 7'' external monitor lol
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8518.0

As always, ty for help!
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

1%

There was a fix but I haven't had time to check it.

handbanana

What's the difference b/w Magic and Tragic Lantern on the 50D?

I shot this https://vimeo.com/85953508

with the v2.3.NEXT.2014Jan28.50D109 Build. Am I better off using TL?

My card started acting up once I got 58GB used up on a 64GB KomputerBay 1000x card. Also white balance may not be registering in the RAWs I have to manually set it in ACR from 4800K. Also I have no idea how raw histogram works it looks the same as regular histograms to me :(

joaomoutinho

Hello guys,

After a period of shooting H264, because couldnt handle data management of RAW, I now upgraded my PC Rig and can manage to work with RAW.

I have been away from the forum for a considerable amount of time, so, I have one question about the new TLbuild:

Can I manage to give names, IN camera, to the shots that I will be doing?   
I used the shane hurlbuts method for h264:
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF8SnMWGYD0&list=TLQ9JYOjl0n5YubmSjHvnYnCp9izv-A04u)

Its there a way to do this IN camera with the new build?

It is very usefull.. It would be very nice to add this to a future build, if it is not yet in the most recent one!

Think you all very much

Andy600

Quote from: joaomoutinho on February 06, 2014, 04:17:23 PM
Hello guys,

After a period of shooting H264, because couldnt handle data management of RAW, I now upgraded my PC Rig and can manage to work with RAW.

I have been away from the forum for a considerable amount of time, so, I have one question about the new TLbuild:

Can I manage to give names, IN camera, to the shots that I will be doing?   
I used the shane hurlbuts method for h264:
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF8SnMWGYD0&list=TLQ9JYOjl0n5YubmSjHvnYnCp9izv-A04u)

Its there a way to do this IN camera with the new build?

It is very usefull.. It would be very nice to add this to a future build, if it is not yet in the most recent one!

Think you all very much

Use the MLV module. You can tag .mlv in camera and this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10198.0 will let you add more meta when processing to DNGs.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

joaomoutinho

Oh... MLV is now working? NICE!! Im going to experiment on it.

The workflow changed with the MLV module? Or can I go straight from the RAW workflow?

really nice this news!

Andy600

It works for me :)

Use the new app I linked to convert your mlv files. There are a couple more settings you can change in the mlv module but I don't have my camera with me to tell you what I use. I think the default settings should work ok. Just make sure to only enable one raw module at a time.