50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandonmarsh

Quote from: NedB on January 18, 2014, 11:58:12 PM
@brandonmarsh: Check your AE project. I'm pretty sure you will find that AE has interpreted your DNG sequence as being at 30fps, which is the default value for image sequences for a new install of AE, if you never change the default. If you select the sequence in the Project panel, you will probably see that it shows as 30fps. Since these sequences are just a series of individual frames, and not a video, you actually have to tell AE what frame rate it should be. As I said, if you don't change the default, AE assumes that all imported image sequences are 30fps. To change the interpretation, right click on the clip in the Project panel>Interpret Footage>Main, and change the frame rate to what you shot it at, which is 24fps.

You can also change the default by going to Edit>Preferences>Import and changing the value for 'Sequence Footage' to whatever you want it to be: if you are always shooting 24fps, then make it 24fps. No matter what the default is set at, you can always change the interpretation of an individual clip with the procedure I describe above. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

That was it, thank you so much!

dogmydog

Quote from: rommex on January 18, 2014, 10:55:07 PM
@dogmydog, I'm using Komputerbay x1000 32GB and 64Gb

What resolution were you raw_rec recording in?
Non-crop or 3x crop? What frame rate?
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

menoc

Quote@brandonmarsh: Check your AE project. I'm pretty sure you will find that AE has interpreted your DNG sequence as being at 30fps, which is the default value for image sequences for a new install of AE, if you never change the default. If you select the sequence in the Project panel, you will probably see that it shows as 30fps. Since these sequences are just a series of individual frames, and not a video, you actually have to tell AE what frame rate it should be. As I said, if you don't change the default, AE assumes that all imported image sequences are 30fps. To change the interpretation, right click on the clip in the Project panel>Interpret Footage>Main, and change the frame rate to what you shot it at, which is 24fps.

You can also change the default by going to Edit>Preferences>Import and changing the value for 'Sequence Footage' to whatever you want it to be: if you are always shooting 24fps, then make it 24fps. No matter what the default is set at, you can always change the interpretation of an individual clip with the procedure I describe above. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Quote from: brandonmarsh on January 19, 2014, 12:27:54 AM

That was it, thank you so much!

One more thing . . . make sure you specify the exact frame rate such as 23.976 for best results. You can enter it manually in after effects. You see, ML gives you the option to set exact FPS. So you should enter the "Actual FPS" in ML RAW video menu. . .

djfremen

Quote from: menoc on January 19, 2014, 01:12:49 AM

One more thing . . . make sure you specify the exact frame rate such as 23.976 for best results. You can enter it manually in after effects. You see, ML gives you the option to set exact FPS. So you should enter the "Actual FPS" in ML RAW video menu. . .

I second this advice. Also, you can change the default in preferences always to import at 24FPS.

rommex

Quote from: dogmydog on January 19, 2014, 01:05:42 AM
What resolution were you raw_rec recording in?
Non-crop or 3x crop? What frame rate?

it was 25FPS, no-crop 1586x8... (standard max res for 50D)

FilmPerson

When you guys are using the latest tragic lantern update, is greyscale preview running smoothly for you when shooting in crop mode? Mine has a severe lag when recording on my 1000x card, someone mentioned that they got it to work in real time.

Also, anyone else getting a black bar along the side of their crop-mode clips?  it even happens when I'm using greyscale preview.

dsManning

Quote from: FilmPerson on January 20, 2014, 01:02:39 AM
When you guys are using the latest tragic lantern update, is greyscale preview running smoothly for you when shooting in crop mode? Mine has a severe lag when recording on my 1000x card, someone mentioned that they got it to work in real time.

Also, anyone else getting a black bar along the side of their crop-mode clips?  it even happens when I'm using greyscale preview.

You sure the person you're referencing wasn't talking about mlv_play?  Playback in grayscale of .mlv videos runs smoothly (with great reduction in detail) as opposed to colour playback, which is rich in detail, but very choppy. 

Recording in grayscale preview is very choppy for me.

Andy600

I set preview to AUTO for recording. You can frame shots with x5 in low res and set focus with x10 then just 'imagine' the rest of the frame when recording with the grayscale, realtime 5x preview.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

rommex

any news about expanding DR for 50D?

btw, I'm doing CC'ing of the footage I shot for a commercial for a major financial institution of Ukraine. I'm extremely pleased with the gradebility. keying, refinement of shadows -- everything is quite astonishing. even considering I was shooting at 320 ISO.

lionelp

Quote from: rommex on January 24, 2014, 04:16:40 PM

btw, I'm doing CC'ing of the footage I shot for a commercial...
...everything is quite astonishing. even considering I was shooting at 320 ISO.

Alex commented that the DR Upgrade on the 50D was definitely  a lower  number/ percentage than that found on  the 5D3.
We'll see.

Please let us know if you post (if you are able) any footage from your shoot.

Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

ayshih

Quote from: rommex on January 24, 2014, 04:16:40 PM

The latest data shows small improvements to dynamic range: ~0.25 EV at ISO 100, and about half that at higher ISOs.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

rommex

Quote from: ayshih on January 26, 2014, 09:49:09 AM
The latest data shows small improvements to dynamic range: ~0.25 EV at ISO 100, and about half that at higher ISOs.

thanks so much, ayshih!

in your opinion, as you know better this topic for sure, are there prospects that this DR delta will improve, or basically that is it?

ayshih

My guess is that this will probably be it.  While I can't rule out the discovery of additional levers to manipulate, it seems rather unlikely.

rommex

Quote from: ayshih on January 26, 2014, 10:07:33 AM
My guess is that this will probably be it.  While I can't rule out the discovery of additional levers to manipulate, it seems rather unlikely.

right. is this going to be integrated in the future TL / ML nightly / stable release?

ayshih

Presumably yes, but as is the way with such things, only "when it's ready".

rommex

Quote from: ayshih on January 26, 2014, 06:45:43 PM
Presumably yes, but as is the way with such things, only "when it's ready".

thanks a lot. a good news upon good news )

CITY-U1001

"CMOS/ADTG/Digic register investigation on ISO" work on raw ? or only for photo ?
ISO 80 ( 11.339 DR ) in RAW its good :)
50D | EFS 18-55 | last build crop_rec-3744x1080_24fps_50D-eXperimental.4.57pm.2020May06.50D109.zip

1%

It may, still brand new and not all the way worked for photo.

bart

Quote from: Andy600 on January 21, 2014, 06:14:48 PM
I set preview to AUTO for recording. You can frame shots with x5 in low res and set focus with x10 then just 'imagine' the rest of the frame when recording with the grayscale, realtime 5x preview.

Hi Andy,

Can you share your ML config file? I'll add a config with ML50D_ANDY_STYLE
I'm struggling with the 50d. I can't get it to work in a convenient way.

Thanks

Andy600

Quote from: bart on January 29, 2014, 01:21:24 PM
Hi Andy,

Can you share your ML config file? I'll add a config with ML50D_ANDY_STYLE
I'm struggling with the 50d. I can't get it to work in a convenient way.

Thanks

Sure. I'll upload when I get home. I have mlv set-up on on C1 and Dual ISO on C2.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

father_v

Hi all,

Just about to update my cards from a September-ish build (worked so well I haven't felt the need to) but had to use my CF's on a C300 shoot the other day so my hands been forced.....just wondering what the deal is with .raw vs .mlv on the 50D specifically? Smaller file sizes or anything like that?

Cheers

Andy600

Quote from: father_v on January 29, 2014, 04:18:39 PM
Hi all,

Just about to update my cards from a September-ish build (worked so well I haven't felt the need to) but had to use my CF's on a C300 shoot the other day so my hands been forced.....just wondering what the deal is with .raw vs .mlv on the 50D specifically? Smaller file sizes or anything like that?

Cheers

Better metadata and Tony Beccar just released his new mlv batch converter (PC only) which makes it a no-brainer now. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10198.0

father_v

Alas, purely Mac! So .mlv does shoot more compressed to the cards? Or just after conversion? Sorry, I have had a look. This forum's a labyrinth if you have no coding chops.

Andy600

Quote from: father_v on January 29, 2014, 04:42:21 PM
Alas, purely Mac! So .mlv does shoot more compressed to the cards? Or just after conversion? Sorry, I have had a look. This forum's a labyrinth if you have no coding chops.

I think there is a batch script for .mlv on the mac?

.mlv is the same, uncompressed format as .raw but adds metadata and you can record audio (but not on the 50D because we don't have a mic or input for a mic).

PressureFM

Quote from: Andy600 on January 29, 2014, 06:09:24 PM
I think there is a batch script for .mlv on the mac?

.mlv is the same, uncompressed format as .raw but adds metadata and you can record audio (but not on the 50D because we don't have a mic or input for a mic).

Indeed there is, everything can be found in this thread.

Otherwise users can search for "recursive0.4.command" :)