50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rommex

Quote from: Andy600 on January 16, 2014, 10:23:24 PM
Press the play button (top scroll to scroll through takes). Controls for playback are accessed with the PicStyle button. B&W + color is selectable for raw and mlv files.

I'm doing exactly this, but PicStyle evokes pic styles ((

I have Tragic_Lantern_50D109-Andy600.2013Dec15

Thank you for this swift reply, Andy

Andy600

It shouldn't if you're in movie mode.

I'll upload a fresh TL build now. I think the shutter readout bug has been fixed :) Can't document the other changes yet but I was recording with it today and seems fine. Try it in a couple of mins and let me know if the problem persists.

edit: Its uploaded
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

rommex

I forgot to load mlv_player ((( I'm a noober  >:(

But still, the playback mode turns on when I press Play. When I press PicStyles -- pic style.

I have a commercial shoot tomorrow and really don't want to switch builds. I'll test the new one afterwards.\

THANKS!!!!

Andy600

Quote from: rommex on January 16, 2014, 10:36:09 PM
I forgot to load mlv_player ((( I'm a noober  >:(

But still, the playback mode turns on when I press Play. When I press PicStyles -- pic style.

I have a commercial shoot tomorrow and really don't want to switch builds. I'll test the new one afterwards.\

THANKS!!!!

Delete your config files. Back-up your current settings first if needed.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dogmydog

Quote from: 1% on January 16, 2014, 06:04:08 PM
You can use the 7D with raw too. The res is only slightly smaller in 1x. The raw still looks good even if upscaled 2x, unlike the H264.

I think with FPS the shutter speeds go to 1/110 or something like that in 24p

Quote from: rommex on January 16, 2014, 08:13:18 PM
Yep, usually lower ISO secures the widest DR available for the sensor.
In my 50D I can set up 1/147s as the shortest shutter speed.
I shot a commercial with 7D H264 in summer 2 years ago. Overheating was huge (

Ty for help, 1% and rommex!
I have no idea how to shoot raw with 7d. I'll work on it before the shoot, since ill most likely have overheating. Also, I just bought VAF for my 50D! Should get iron February. Will post results here for you guys :)
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

1%

7D works just like 50D and the 1x is useable (1728x1152) plus you can do audio. Also waaay less overheating.

robertgl

does the 50D run any cooler via a battery adapter?

50Deezil

Quote from: robertgl on January 17, 2014, 02:53:10 AM
does the 50D run any cooler via a battery adapter?
Someone posted earlier in the thread that he noted about 3  degrees C less heat when using the battery adapter rather than battery.

dogmydog

Quote from: Andy600 on January 16, 2014, 05:32:54 PM
Yes crop mode (1920x872). ISO 400 on a 28mm at F4. I should have shot at a much higher ISO but the shadow detail is still pretty good.

The image is incredibly clear at F4.
You mentioned higher iso than 400? I shot stuff at 800 and got a lot of noise in my room at night.
But that was with raw not MLV. When the news come out will you let us know it here, Andy?
Or should we keep checking the twitter?

Quote from: 1% on January 17, 2014, 01:18:34 AM
7D works just like 50D and the 1x is useable (1728x1152) plus you can do audio. Also waaay less overheating.

Sure thing, 1%! Does the TL we use here with the 50D works on the 7D also?
I know the installation procedure is different tho.

As usual, Ty all for the amazing job and help!
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

1%

They are the same code base.

LEVISDAVIS

Experienced sustained temp decrease working with A/C adapter. However, the unit will reach normal high-temp operating with continual usage. If I remember correctly, the 50D with an A/C adapter held about a 3 degree C difference for upwards of 30 minutes, but not greater than an hour. I was shooting inside for an interview working with 2 50D cameras.

... We were thinking that the battery grip would also help...

This A/C adapter that I am speaking of is available on eBay for about $10 - 15 US. Thought it would be worth while to purchase two of them and take the second unit and to simply splice the cable right after the A/C to DC converter. It would only be a matter of running the battery shell with positive and negative connection to an external battery source. However, achieving the appropriate voltage and amperage would be another challenge.
Levi S. Davis

dsManning

I've got a battery grip off amazon (cheapo plastic knockoff that is actually really nice) and I've only had overheating warnings twice.  Boston can be a bit cold and I'm usually shooting outdoors, but even with tests inside, or even awhile ago before the winter, I wasn't overheating.  I do however get an overheating warning when I connect DSLRcontroller (android app) although I know it is falsely reporting because it happens as soon as I connect, and the camera is cool to the touch.

darthvim

Quote from: Andy600 on January 16, 2014, 05:32:54 PM
Yes crop mode (1920x872). ISO 400 on a 28mm at F4. I should have shot at a much higher ISO but the shadow detail is still pretty good.

how the hell did you get so good results with 50d...
my problem is that i get so much color noise with this camera, so i was going to sell it ...but this let's me think of a revival for the camera. i am using a quite old november built without mlv record. what would be the advise to get the camera working properly like most of the other users have... ?
still couldn't figure out so far ...

full size: http://imgur.com/I0zmHuu

well iso was 2500 i think and f5,6, well i know this is too high for f-stop but the lens couldn't go smaller, damn canon zoom

dsManning

Avoid shooting with such a high iso.  Also, quite a few users on here apply Neat (noise/sharpening) in their editor.  Helps quite a bit.

rommex

Just finished my paid shoot. It was a little bit of nightmarish...

The camera constantly switched off raw mode and starting recording h264. I was not successful to timely catch that, so some frames were shot totally in h264 in every take ((

The temperature was all the time 45-48C degrees. A lot of errors.

On the exteranl HDMI display there was a black bar near the bottom of the screen -- didn't know where it got...

Still love 50D, but don't know how to deal with these issues. They were totally unpredictable...

1%

What version and how to reproduce the switching off issue?

rommex

I have the latest December TL build by Andy.

I only have ideas, not sure about them.

Maybe it's overheating or connecting the external monitor. For some reason the raw_rec module just disappeared. More than that, when I reboot the camera, it doesn't load. The next reboot it's loaded... I had the raw turning off issue earlier on another body -- is it happening only to me? Maybe I do something wrong...

I'll try to push the camera to reproduce the problem. Will give images or video if I happen to catch that.

1%

I'll give it a shot too. It has been working OK for me, the external monitor can reduce write speed but it shouldn't crash anything out.

Andy600

@rommex - Have you got raw_rec and mlv_rec loaded at the same time?

Andy600

Quote from: darthvim on January 17, 2014, 08:35:20 PM
how the hell did you get so good results with 50d...
my problem is that i get so much color noise with this camera, so i was going to sell it ...but this let's me think of a revival for the camera. i am using a quite old november built without mlv record. what would be the advise to get the camera working properly like most of the other users have... ?
still couldn't figure out so far ...

full size: http://imgur.com/I0zmHuu

well iso was 2500 i think and f5,6, well i know this is too high for f-stop but the lens couldn't go smaller, damn canon zoom

2500 is poor on the 50D. 1600 ISO is the useable upper limit so a faster lens would certainly help. Higher ISOs will produce more noise but I wouldn't recommend deliberately shooting low ISO in low light as it is counterproductive. Lower ISOs may initially look clean but will produce more noise in the shadows and lose detail when 'pushed up' in post rather than a high ISO 'pulled down' in post. Noise can be reduced. Color noise is relatively easy to clean up and noise in the Y channel has a finer grain which can look nice. If you want very clean images get a 5D3.

rommex

Quote from: Andy600 on January 18, 2014, 10:59:29 AM
@rommex - Have you got raw_rec and mlv_rec loaded at the same time?

No, I remember they shouldn't be.

BUT I totally remember that I didn't use to have these issues when there was no mlv_pay module loaded..... maybe it is to blame? I'll test....

dogmydog

Quote from: rommex on January 18, 2014, 12:57:30 AM
I have the latest December TL build by Andy.

I only have ideas, not sure about them.

Maybe it's overheating or connecting the external monitor. For some reason the raw_rec module just disappeared. More than that, when I reboot the camera, it doesn't load. The next reboot it's loaded... I had the raw turning off issue earlier on another body -- is it happening only to me? Maybe I do something wrong...

I'll try to push the camera to reproduce the problem. Will give images or video if I happen to catch that.

Rommex, what is the card brand, speed and resolution you're using?
I've been shooting my webseries on the 50D since September with no problems.
Last shoot I got a similar problem with my transcend 16GB 1000x. When I switched card, the camera unloaded the raw_rec module and recorded one take as H264. I turned off and I again and the problem disappeared. My resolution was 1584x896 16:9 and 23.976 fps, no crop.

EDIT: I also monitor video on a HDMI Lilliput 669GL.
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

rommex

@dogmydog, I'm using Komputerbay x1000 32GB and 64Gb

brandonmarsh

Hey everybody - I'm having a small issue that I'm sure you guys can solve pretty easily.

I'm shooting w/ Tragic Lantern (latest update Andy posted) - everything is working flawlessly except for one small issue with FPS Playback. I seem to have an issue where upon bringing '24fps' footage into Premiere, that it is playing back fast.

I'm shooting w/ FPS Override @ 24fps. When I convert the footage in RAW Magic it shows 24FPS. I bring it into After Effects and transcode to QT/ProRess @ 24FPS - I then bring it into Premiere Pro, in a 24fps timeline, and the playback is fast?! It looks like its close to 24 captured sped up to 30fps.

Can somebody run me through their workflow for 24FPS RAW video on the 50d? I feel like I'm losing my mind. It appears that if I shoot w/ FPS Override off on TL - then export 24fps within AE it works.

Help!

NedB

@brandonmarsh: Check your AE project. I'm pretty sure you will find that AE has interpreted your DNG sequence as being at 30fps, which is the default value for image sequences for a new install of AE, if you never change the default. If you select the sequence in the Project panel, you will probably see that it shows as 30fps. Since these sequences are just a series of individual frames, and not a video, you actually have to tell AE what frame rate it should be. As I said, if you don't change the default, AE assumes that all imported image sequences are 30fps. To change the interpretation, right click on the clip in the Project panel>Interpret Footage>Main, and change the frame rate to what you shot it at, which is 24fps.

You can also change the default by going to Edit>Preferences>Import and changing the value for 'Sequence Footage' to whatever you want it to be: if you are always shooting 24fps, then make it 24fps. No matter what the default is set at, you can always change the interpretation of an individual clip with the procedure I describe above. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII