50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

p48l0

QuoteUploading some (truly crap) frames to dropbox now.
QuoteLink should be open, let me know.

thanks man, I downloaded your files. They work perfectly in my resolve. So I understand that the problem is my dng's.

djfremen

I'm encountering a strange error with the first three frames being corrupted with the latest TL build. It happens about the 20% of the time and the MLV is still usable if you delete the black frames.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Is this a card warm up issue?

Asiertxu

Hello djfremen,
I´ve also experienced something similar to what you´re experiencing!
I tried with both MLV and RAW video on the lastest TL build and noticed something like corruped frames on the first 2 or 3 frames on each clip I´ve recorded.
When I checked them in the built-in raw/ MLV video player in cam and they played correctly but when tried to extract the secuence to convert them in DNG secuences
It didnn´t worked and appeared errors so they didn´t converted to DNGs anymore!! :(
Thanks to report your experience and hope this to be corrected and MLV clips with errors to be recoverable!
Cheers!
Asier.

Andy600

MLV does seem to corrupt the first frame or 2 but just delete them. When converting I don't first convert to legacy .raw. I only dump .mlv straight to DNG using the command 'mlv_dump --dng nameofmlv.mlv' and I've not had any issues except for when I had copied the .IDX files to the same directory. It would then only convert the first frame before throwing an error. So make sure you don't copy the .IDX files from the card.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Asiertxu

Hello Andy!!
Thank you very much for your great help!
I´ll do what you say soon to see what happens but must to ask you some questions first.... ;D
How do you delete these problematic first 1 or two frames?
Is that done (deleting frames...) directly in the MLV clip before the conversion to DNG sequences?
How can I do it?
Sorry for so many questions!  ;)
Cheers!
Asier.

johansugarev

Delete the dng files perhaps?

djfremen

Yeah deleting the frames is a solve but the issue is I'm developing a script that calls for the first frame to be imported in ACR so it's a bigger issue for me. Automation needs these first frames intact.

Asiertxu

When I try to convert from MLV to DNGs is when the error appears and the only thing I get is one or two DNGs that are corrupted!!  :( ...not the whole sequence....so I tought there was a way to delete these problematic frames from the raw MLV clip to allow the conversion app extract the complete DNGs an not to stop at first and get only the corrupted frame only!  :-[
That´s why I am asking for that....or may be.... I´m doing something wrong??
I use Windows XP and the lastest version of the MLV2CDNG app and the one  that is recomended to 50D users with no results!!

Thanks anyways for your help fellows!
Cheers
Asier.

rommex

Hey folks,

I just did a response curve test for 50D in RAW video mode.

Below is the curve that I found. One step is 1/3 degrees. The levels are as displayed in DaVinci Resolve before any adjustment.

Main findings:

1. Usable (my personal view) DR is 9 stops. (Don't kill me on this, I like 50D the way it is).
2. Above the grey point (12.5%) you have 3 and 1/3 degrees of normal contrast, then 1 degree of highlight roll-off.
3. Below the grey point you have 2/3 degrees of normal contrast, then 4 degrees of low-contrast shadow area.

If you happen to understand Russian, I did a long boring video explaining the curve and what you can do about it:
http://youtu.be

lionelp

Quote from: rommex on January 14, 2014, 04:07:22 PM
Hey folks,
1. Usable (my personal view) DR is 9 stops. (Don't kill me on this, I like 50D the way it is).

Sort of like reversal motion picture film or for still shooting - slide film. (Actually better).
It is good to know the parameters that one should shoot in for best results. Thank you.
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

dogmydog

Quote from: rommex on January 14, 2014, 04:07:22 PM
Hey folks,

Below is the curve that I found. One step is 1/3 degrees. The levels are as displayed in DaVinci Resolve before any adjustment.

Main findings:

2. Above the grey point (12.5%) you have 3 and 1/3 degrees of normal contrast, then 1 degree of highlight roll-off.
3. Below the grey point you have 2/3 degrees of normal contrast, then 4 degrees of low-contrast shadow area.

If you happen to understand Russian, I did a long boring video explaining the curve and what you can do about it:
http://youtu.be

Very cool, rommex!
Do you happen to know how does that curve compares to 7D RAW Video? Or the 5D Mark ii?
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

a1ex

Raw is linear on all Canon DSLRs.

This curve is not for raw; you simply revealed the default processing curve (look) in Resolve.

rommex

Quote from: dogmydog on January 14, 2014, 09:50:17 PM
Very cool, rommex!
Do you happen to know how does that curve compares to 7D RAW Video? Or the 5D Mark ii?

No, I have no idea about those cameras. If somebody can make measurements...

Quote from: a1ex on January 14, 2014, 10:34:21 PM
Raw is linear on all Canon DSLRs.

This curve is not for raw; you simply revealed the default processing curve (look) in Resolve.

If I draw a curve from the ML built-in spot meter, would that be closer to the truth?

Or if I import those files into Adobe RAW?

UPDATE: I was thinking a little bit about what you wrote. Whatever Canon RAW is inside, I think it is still fair to research how people PERCEIVE the curve in their daily work because this is the form in which it exists for them, and will ever exist.

a1ex

If you draw a curve with the RAW spotmeter, it will be linear, of course. Just make sure you have the same kind of data on both axis (either both linear or both log, but not mixed).

rommex

Quote from: a1ex on January 14, 2014, 11:15:37 PM
If you draw a curve with the RAW spotmeter, it will be linear, of course. Just make sure you have the same kind of data on both axis (either both linear or both log, but not mixed).

With all due respect, it will not be linear. I will give the numbers tomorrow.

rommex

50D RAW curve based on ML/TL spot meter:

X - exposure (1 step is 1/2 EV)
Y - spot meter value

a1ex

I told you to use the RAW spotmeter, not the YUV one. This graph is Canon's picture style curve.

rommex

Quote from: a1ex on January 15, 2014, 01:55:07 PM
I told you to use the RAW spotmeter, not the YUV one. This graph is Canon's picture style curve.

I used spotmeter that is in ML. Is there another, a RAW one? Please explain

Andy600

9 usable stops? Hmmm think again ::)

Some interesting ML developments happening and should go hand-in-hand with what I am about to release for your raw post workflows. It won't be free but will blow your socks off ;)

lionelp

You got my attention.
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

a1ex

Quote from: rommex on January 15, 2014, 02:11:14 PM
I used spotmeter that is in ML. Is there another, a RAW one? Please explain

Did you look in the spotmeter submenu? One of the choices should be RAW, and the units are in EV.

(I don't know if it actually works in 50D though, maybe Andy can tell)

Andy600

Quote from: a1ex on January 15, 2014, 03:54:32 PM
Did you look in the spotmeter submenu? One of the choices should be RAW, and the units are in EV.

Yes it works, I use it all the time.

rommex

Quote from: a1ex on January 15, 2014, 03:54:32 PM

Yep, also found it and it works. But it measures the light in EV.  If I put light in EV on X axis, and light in EV in Y axis... Yes I get the straightest line indeed. What else can I get?  ;D So you win of course.

But my curve shows the connection between light and the reading from the sensor. We all work with the reading from the sensor in post-production, not with the light itself.

rommex

Quote from: Andy600 on January 15, 2014, 02:40:16 PM
9 usable stops? Hmmm think again ::)

Some interesting ML developments happening and should go hand-in-hand with what I am about to release for your raw post workflows. It won't be free but will blow your socks off ;)

Andy please give a hint what is it? My impatience is exploding my mind :) I really need to know that my buying the second 50D and shooting with them both commercial stuff is cool )))))))))