50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsManning

Quote from: pulsar124 on December 26, 2013, 10:51:58 PM
Thanks for the great work!

I just tried the MLV module, in the newest TL build. I unpacked it with http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7802.0 - is this the proper tool? It did complain about some keywords not recognized (MARK, ...). My newest ACR does read the proper aperture and FL from the DNG files (great!), but doesn't detect the lens automatically. I checked with exiftools, and the CR2 files have these lines:

Lens Type                       : Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L or Sigma or Tamron Lens
Lens Model                      : 17-50mm
Lens                            : 17.0 - 50.0 mm
Lens ID                         : Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM or Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC
Lens                            : 17.0 - 50.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 26.9 - 79.2 mm)

Whereas the DNG files only had this line:
DNG Lens Info                   : 17-50mm

But this is not big deal - I can set the lens type manually.

I just had a dng with full info, except it got my lens and focal length wrong. 

Shooting on a Rokinon 85mm f1.4 reports as;

50mm lens at f/0 (but it is a manual aperture so f/0 makes sense)

Same thing, not at all a big deal.  Just thought I'd put it out there.  Will test with other non-Canon lenses to see how it reports.

1%

All the manual adapters can't detect real aperture and you mainly get the adapter name.

menoc

Has the ML Grey Preview mode ever worked out the HDMI port for monitoring and framing? Anyone got it working?

dlrpgmsvc

WAO !

Now, in the last Andy release, 23,9fps and even 24fps works with 1920x1080 (full HD) continuous !
Double buffering and ML grayscale preview, 1Gb card warming-up option.
1000x 64Gb KomputerBay card (fully tested for uniform high speed >= 1000x and no defects, all this on all the addressable space).

What an achievement !

Many thanks and congratulations to all the people that worked on this !   :o
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

bart

Hi I picked up 50D testing again.

I have one problem. focus, *, halfshutter and set start RAW or MLV record
How to set it on just one button so I can use set or AFon for ETTR and AF

Thanks

djfremen

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on January 04, 2014, 06:18:09 PM
WAO !

Now, in the last Andy release, 23,9fps and even 24fps works with 1920x1080 (full HD) continuous !

To be clear the current TL is 1584x793 (non crop). The full HD crop is what you're referencing.

djfremen

Quote from: bart on January 04, 2014, 08:09:23 PMI have one problem. focus, *, halfshutter and set start RAW or MLV record

This is set in the video recording menu. Simply disable half shutter to activate recording.

dogmydog

WAO !

1000x 64Gb KomputerBay card (fully tested for uniform high speed >= 1000x and no defects, all this on all the addressable space).

What an achievement !

Sweet!!
MLV or raw video?
By Full Hd u mean 3x crop mode, right? Since full frame is 1584x1052?

Also, is anyone using the half-shutter button when recording to activate IS, or that feature stopped working? Does it need to be set on in ML menu?

Thx!!
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

dlrpgmsvc

Raw-rec.  Not mlv.  3x crop, yes. Dunno about half shutter.

menoc

Quote from: dogmydog on January 05, 2014, 03:39:23 PM
Sweet!!
MLV or raw video?
By Full Hd u mean 3x crop mode, right? Since full frame is 1584x1052?

Also, is anyone using the half-shutter button when recording to activate IS, or that feature stopped working? Does it need to be set on in ML menu?

Thx!!

Yes. He meant 3x crop mode.

Half shutter hold works, I've been using it in conjunction with a stabilizer to get pretty good steady shots. Of course, you need a IS lens.

menoc

WAO !

What an achievement !

BTW, which version are you talking about? I'm guessing that you're talking about RAW Video, not MLV RAW . . . right?

menoc

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on January 06, 2014, 12:33:05 AM
Raw-rec.  Not mlv.  3x crop, yes. Dunno about half shutter.

Hey, what page number is Andy's latest Tragic Lantern?

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

p48l0

Hi guys,

is there anyone that can upload some dngs coming from a 50D, like 50 frames or less?
I'd like to test them in Davinci and see if they have my same problem I explained here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9826.0

thanks

dogmydog

Quote from: menoc on January 06, 2014, 02:27:12 AM
Yes. He meant 3x crop mode.

Half shutter hold works, I've been using it in conjunction with a stabilizer to get pretty good steady shots. Of course, you need a IS lens.

Thx, menoc! :)
Do I need to switch this feature on the ML menu, or is it just default?
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

menoc

Quote from: dogmydog on January 06, 2014, 12:30:42 PM
Thx, menoc! :)
Do I need to switch this feature on the ML menu, or is it just default?

Switch it on in ML "Movie" Menu. Set the shutter button to "Hold during REC" option.

dogmydog

Quote from: menoc on January 06, 2014, 06:13:09 PM
Switch it on in ML "Movie" Menu. Set the shutter button to "Hold during REC" option.

Thx!! :)
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

dsManning

Quote from: p48l0 on January 06, 2014, 08:52:51 AM
Hi guys,

is there anyone that can upload some dngs coming from a 50D, like 50 frames or less?
I'd like to test them in Davinci and see if they have my same problem I explained here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9826.0

thanks

Uploading some (truly crap) frames to dropbox now.  Accidental record while in the storage at work, don't bother downloading unless you are comparing.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/71ehvj60rep0yha/wd0I3vWWii

Link should be open, let me know.

Random thought for audio sync.  I know the beep from other cameras is out of the question from a hardware stance, but is there a way to make the camera make a significant noise otherwise?  After hitting record, would it be possible to force the mirror down then up again, and then start recording to the card?  If it were always the same timing when recording began after a mirror lockup, audio sync would be a breeze.  I don't have the knowledge to poke around the code and find out, but I was thinking due to the Mirror Lockup options under the Shoot tab including all sorts of options including timing, this might be applicable.

1%

Think the only thing you can do is use a clapper at the moment and the mirror would be a good idea if moving it didn't wear it out.. it would be just like that mirror breaking AF mode

ayshih

Hi, all, I've started maintaining ML for the 50D, where one goal is to bring it up to parity with TL for the 50D.  So, it'd be really useful for me for those of you using TL, especially for RAW video, to try out the latest build of ML – the nightly builds are back! – and let me know what doesn't work as well, or at all, in ML.  You can provide feedback in the thread I've created.  Thanks!
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: ayshih on January 07, 2014, 03:50:28 AM
Hi, all, I've started maintaining ML for the 50D, where one goal is to bring it up to parity with TL for the 50D.  So, it'd be really useful for me for those of you using TL, especially for RAW video, to try out the latest build of ML – the nightly builds are back! – and let me know what doesn't work as well, or at all, in ML.  You can provide feedback in the thread I've created.  Thanks!

Thank you very much Ayshih ! Just for me to understand better: do your maintained nightly builds contains all the Andy builds latest features here ? And will also contains more, when new TL features will come up and Andy will not keep updated with his builds ? Many thanks in advance for your clarifications !  ;)

Andy600

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on January 07, 2014, 02:19:54 PM
Thank you very much Ayshih ! Just for me to understand better: do your maintained nightly builds contains all the Andy builds latest features here ? And will also contains more, when new TL features will come up and Andy will not keep updated with his builds ? Many thanks in advance for your clarifications !  ;)

I'll still upload 1%'s TL builds for the 50D. I like to live on the edge ;)

The latest TL commits are all about the 7D and sound. All irrelevant for the 50D. I think there was one fix that switches off overlays in .mlv but I haven't compiled yet. I'll upload a new build later today if I get 5 mins.

Good luck Ayshih - it's a lot of work but great to know someone is on it now! I've tried to get my head around porting some TL stuff back to the main repo but it's beyond me. I'm learning though.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

ayshih

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on January 07, 2014, 02:19:54 PM
At least in the short term, the ML nightly builds will still be missing features that are present in the (Andy's) TL build, but I'll be working to bring over everything I can from TL.  In the future, as improvements are made in TL, it may take me some time to bring them over to ML.  My effort won't be limited to just TL backports, but for the purposes of this thread, it's important for me to get input about what differences, if any, may be keeping you on TL rather than ML.

Quote from: Andy600 on January 07, 2014, 02:34:49 PM
Good luck Ayshih - it's a lot of work but great to know someone is on it now! I've tried to get my head around porting some TL stuff back to the main repo but it's beyond me. I'm learning though.

Hopefully I haven't bitten off more than I can chew! :)
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

riccardocovino

That's a great idea, the porting to ML.
I checked your topic and I was wondering why it's not in the RAW subforum.
Also this current topic should change its title from 50D - 40D to only 50D.
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N