50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

thehadgi

Quote from: Andy600 on December 15, 2013, 02:54:53 PM
***New Build of Tragic Lantern uploaded***

Disclaimer

As the 50D and several other models have been removed from the nightly builds (at least temporarily until the acceptable parts of Tragic Lantern are ported), you have the option of either building your own or downloading my build of 1%'s Tragic Lantern for the 50D.

I regularly receive messages regarding these builds as to their reliability and safety but I can only offer my opinion based on my own experience and daily usage. I am not an experienced coder. I have very basic knowledge (enough to compile and port a few things) and accept that developers like a1ex and g3gg0 would not highlight the dangers of such builds without good cause. I therefore state again that using these builds may damage your camera, although I have never personally had any problems.

By installing an unsupported build of Magic Lantern (as is the case with Tragic Lantern) you do so unsupported and entirely at your own risk. Please do not expect a1ex or other devs to come to the rescue if something breaks.

Hopefully, with a little help from willing users we can begin to commit things back to the main Magic Lantern Unified build and get it back into the nightly releases but for now, if you want the latest features, you will need to use Tragic Lantern.

Tragic Lantern is a rolling release and many features are experimental, specific to certain cameras and not thoroughly tested (although I do try to test as much as possible before uploading a new build). Tragic Lantern still has issues with incorrect shutter readout and problems with digital ISO. Please do not ask me when this will be fixed. I simply don't know and my guess is that it is a fairly big issue that will need a lot of work by a knowledgeable dev.

The latest build

It's been about a month since I last uploaded a build. There have been improvements to mlv_rec which is now, IMO, as useable as raw_rec with the added benefit of metadata, however raw_rec is still included and has an 'experimental' feature of selectable single or double buffering. It is up to you to test and report back here ;)

The Histogram was broken for several months and nobody noticed. A1ex spotted that only the top half of the histogram was being used (probably why the lower half always appeared red). This is now fixed.

mlv_play has had a few improvements and is useable for either .mlv or .raw video playback. You can press the camera play button to instantly access playback of your most recent shot and use the top wheel to scroll through other shots. Pressing the Picture Style button will bring up the player controls with selectable (fast) playback in grayscale or (slow) color. You can also now delete clips using the player.

The issue with pink or corrupt frames (.mlv) was resolved in the last build but has since been found to be overkill, lowering the priority of the writer below what the camera is capable of. The priority has been increased and you can now shoot .mlv with Global Draw ON and use focus peaking. I have tested this feature and not had any pink frames but please report if you have this problem. A balance needs to be found between performance and reliability.

To work around the shutter issue I suggest setting the shutter angle in the main menu and then locking the shutter in the movie menu (movie tweaks) after setting your desired fps with FPS override.

There are also several other minor tweaks and fixes but mostly to backend stuff. 

Download the latest Tragic Lantern for the 50D here: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/Tragic_Lantern_50D109-Andy600.2013Dec15_Histogram_fix_&_MLV_Improvements.zip

If you have to ask me how to install it you really shouldn't be using it! ;)

OT: You also download my FREE Film Punch LUT: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9521.msg91376#msg91376

50d comin in Monday. Staying tuned now with this thread :]

djfremen

Anyone else experiencing errors with MLV Dump and strange lines since the newest version of TL?

LEVISDAVIS

Will post footage of the BMPCC and the 50D with the Prototype Anti-Aliasing Filter sometime before Christmas... Will fire off some Raw footage at the same time using a 50mm and a 24mm... Again, I am continually finding that the moire is nearly identical... Surprisingly, I'm finding better noise floor patterns with the 50D in daylight. Haven't worked with the BMPCC long enough to truly understand the sensor... Of course I really want to stress that the 50D has amazing color correction potential!!! The BMPCC is a total different ballgame. For the BMPCC ACR is going to the limits of it's slider adjustments in order to make the image pop, particularly the individual color channels. In some ways this is causing a lot of noise in the image... Then again, why shoot raw if the image isn't going to pop!!!?

The 50D is ready to sing in ACR. Loving how RawMagic provides the user the ability to change the ACR picture profile from Embedded to Landscape, Portrait, and Standard, and Faithful... etc. However, are there any 50D & RawMagic users experiencing issues with RawMagic? I continue to find random occurrences of vertical and horizontal lines. The same RAW file in Raw2DNG doesn't introduce the vertical and horizontal lines... Unfortunately, Raw2DNG does not process the footage as though it were a Canon 50D. Any help in both of these departments would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.
Levi S. Davis

tetsusaiga

Quote from: HHL on June 02, 2013, 07:19:56 AM
One more example of highlight recovery.  Enjoy!

Hi, I was reading your post and I saw that you posted two pictures: one really green picture and one really magenta picture.

I'm having problems with getting really green and noisy .DNG files when I convert my .RAW files and import them into Lightrooom 5.
How do I fix this problem?  Cam you please help me?

I posted a question about this here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9624.new#new, but wasn't able to get much help.

Thanks in advance.

dogmydog

Quote from: lomka on December 22, 2013, 12:15:21 AM
Unfortunately i don't have a card reader, is there a way to install magic lantern without card reader?

Also, if you can, get a USB 3.0 card reader.
It seems that USB 2.0 card readers are damaging 1000x CF cards. I had a damaged Transcend that i sent to RMA, but I'm not sure if its card reader related.
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

menoc

Quote from: dogmydog on December 23, 2013, 01:45:50 PM
Also, if you can, get a USB 3.0 card reader.
It seems that USB 2.0 card readers are damaging 1000x CF cards. I had a damaged Transcend that i sent to RMA, but I'm not sure if its card reader related.

Um . . . probably not. It was probably the USB reader. Been using mine for more than a year now.

SebaVuye

I recreated a scene from Memento, shooting 50D raw. The first time I shot on the 50D 'project based'. I shot mostly some test footage, but always just some shots without any kind of precise framing etc.

When we were shooting the camera crashed 3 times (mostly at the end after 8 hours of shooting). The framing of the shot was confusing at times. When loading the footage on my laptop, the framing was a little off. I saw objects in frame on the laptop screen that I didn't see on the lcd. When I disabled the cinemascope cropmarks, the framing seemed fixed. I think? Reviewing your footage also a pain. Post production is long and tiresome but the images the camera produces are great so it's worth it. Personally I just can't deal with that much of uncertainty when shooting, but I wont go back to h264 crap either.

riccardocovino

Great effort SebaVuye.
But I would notice some points: I don't understand why, even using RAw, you have some overexposed areas, making the whole thing look digital.
Notice the bed on the right while the telephone is ringing, or the hand on the left while watching the photo.
Also the head in the first shots has a light problem, making it look a bit flat and not enough dramatic.
Last, but not about the quality of filming, is that original actor gives much more tension.
Anyway, an excellent exercise!
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

SebaVuye

Quote from: riccardocovino on December 24, 2013, 09:28:39 AM
Great effort SebaVuye.
But I would notice some points: I don't understand why, even using RAw, you have some overexposed areas, making the whole thing look digital.
Notice the bed on the right while the telephone is ringing, or the hand on the left while watching the photo.
Also the head in the first shots has a light problem, making it look a bit flat and not enough dramatic.
Last, but not about the quality of filming, is that original actor gives much more tension.
Anyway, an excellent exercise!

Thanks

All true. The overexposed area's are the result of ACR and this flickering issue when adjusting Highlights and Shadows sliders :/ I left those two options untouched in ACR because every adjustment resulted in flickering of my image.

Merry Christmas!

LEVISDAVIS

Give it some time SebaVuye. You're working with a great camera. Yes, there are some overheating issues that tend to cause issues when writing files... I would agree that the framing may have been off with cinemascopes put in place... Another issue is if you view the LCD screen in a ML Hacked Mode... There can be a slow refresh rate issue too. But, again, it really is a great tool. Maybe a little finicky from time to time, but this camera is well worth the time. It will certainly capture some timeless moments. Enjoy and keep shooting. P.S. Watching your video now.
Levi S. Davis

LEVISDAVIS

Posted a 5 minute video featuring the 50D and the BMPCC. It's not your typical camera comparison video... It's more of a get to know your camera for what it's worth type video. I hope it helps you look further into the power of the camera. Here is the link to the video.

http://youtu.be/1eNuxW5fIew
Levi S. Davis

rommex

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on December 26, 2013, 08:14:18 AM
Posted a 5 minute video featuring the 50D and the BMPCC. It's not your typical camera comparison video... It's more of a get to know your camera for what it's worth type video. I hope it helps you look further into the power of the camera. Here is the link to the video.

Thanks bro!

SebaVuye

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on December 26, 2013, 07:41:26 AM
Give it some time SebaVuye. You're working with a great camera. Yes, there are some overheating issues that tend to cause issues when writing files... I would agree that the framing may have been off with cinemascopes put in place... Another issue is if you view the LCD screen in a ML Hacked Mode... There can be a slow refresh rate issue too. But, again, it really is a great tool. Maybe a little finicky from time to time, but this camera is well worth the time. It will certainly capture some timeless moments. Enjoy and keep shooting. P.S. Watching your video now.

Yep, I love the camera, not complaining at all :).

SebaVuye

Nice video!

I totally agree with you, 50D produces a very cinematic image. I always will prefer a camera that produces a better image, even with it's issues that the 50D is having.

simulacro

If you are working the color correction in After Effects, the Color Finesse correction tool has a highlight recovery slider very nice indeed  8)

Quote from: SebaVuye on December 25, 2013, 11:28:15 PM
Thanks

All true. The overexposed area's are the result of ACR and this flickering issue when adjusting Highlights and Shadows sliders :/ I left those two options untouched in ACR because every adjustment resulted in flickering of my image.

Merry Christmas!

SebaVuye

Quote from: simulacro on December 26, 2013, 02:17:19 PM
If you are working the color correction in After Effects, the Color Finesse correction tool has a highlight recovery slider very nice indeed  8)
Ah yes, totally forgot about that one! thanks :-)

pulsar124

Thanks for the great work!

I just tried the MLV module, in the newest TL build. I unpacked it with http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7802.0 - is this the proper tool? It did complain about some keywords not recognized (MARK, ...). My newest ACR does read the proper aperture and FL from the DNG files (great!), but doesn't detect the lens automatically. I checked with exiftools, and the CR2 files have these lines:

Lens Type                       : Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L or Sigma or Tamron Lens
Lens Model                      : 17-50mm
Lens                            : 17.0 - 50.0 mm
Lens ID                         : Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM or Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC
Lens                            : 17.0 - 50.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 26.9 - 79.2 mm)

Whereas the DNG files only had this line:
DNG Lens Info                   : 17-50mm

But this is not big deal - I can set the lens type manually.

I am not sure if lens correction (vignetting, distortion) works correctly though - the ACR profiles were designed for specific full censor resolution of the camera (I think), and also for a different aspect ratio (3:2). Does anyone know how to modify ACR lens profiles to make them work perfectly with MLV DNG files?

riccardocovino

thanks for the video levisdavis, very interesting.
So definition and dynamic range are on BMPCC while colors are on 50D side right?
I would be curious to see a couple of frame grabs from the shot that frames the area under the stairs, it seems full of noise but the compression of youtube makes it look 264-ish.
Can you share two jpegs from it?
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

TrueIndigo

The Mosaic Engineering VAF filters made for the 5DII and 7D were designed for the 1080p resolution of their H.264 Canon video output. Does this have any visible impact on their ability to ease the moire effect for raw video which is recorded at a different resolution? Since the 50D had no native video output, my understanding is this new VAF has been specifically designed to work at the 50D's full sensor raw video resolution. If correct, the 50D should have the closest matched VAF for shooting raw video so far made. Looking forward to seeing material shot with the new filter in the new year.

lionelp

Yes very interesting test. BMPCC definitely has more DR but I definitely like the color from the 50D. It is like a different film emulsion or film stock.
Thank you for taking  the time on this LEVISDAVIS.     :)

Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

LEVISDAVIS

Checking out the new 50D TL build... Really, really appreciate how the 3X mode is real-time.

Next up is to shoot with MLV. I haven't had a Mac that runs on the latest operating system... But I will say that RawMagic and DaVinci Resolve 10 works in perfect unison if anyone is interested in recording .raw instead of .mlv.

Be sure to give ANDY600's recent LUT a try and/or donate to the cause. That is a really amazing LUT!

Thanks so much.
Levi S. Davis

Eran

@ LEVISDAVIS is the 3X mode is 100% real-time now? when I'm recording I still getting kind of strobe affect with some delay.
Thanks for remind us about ANDY600's LUT. I'll give it a try!

dogmydog

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on December 31, 2013, 03:55:31 AM
Checking out the new 50D TL build... Really, really appreciate how the 3X mode is real-time.

Next up is to shoot with MLV. I haven't had a Mac that runs on the latest operating system... But I will say that RawMagic and DaVinci Resolve 10 works in perfect unison if anyone is interested in recording .raw instead of .mlv.

Be sure to give ANDY600's recent LUT a try and/or donate to the cause. That is a really amazing LUT!

Thanks so much.

Just tested the MLV feature. Already tried the MLV right when 50D was supported and had corrupt frames with my defective Transcend 32GB 1000x card. Send my card to RMA and tried again the MLV with a Transcend 16GB 1000x card and it worked like a charm! No pink frames, great results.

I'm looking forward to shoot with MLV now, but I already have a complicated workflow with RAW:
RAWBatchelor 3.0 (with the raw2dng.exe uploaded by Andy, specially for 50D) with lossy compression using Adobe DNG Converter > After Effects > Color Correction on ACR (no experience with DaVinci Resolve, does the debayering issues got better on these last versions?) > Export to DxHD 10bit 23.976 175mb .mov (since i'm on PC) > Import to Premiere Pro CC, sync with audio > Export to H264 to Youtube.

Feel free to criticize my workflow, I'm very new with raw video :)

Is there a RAWBatchelor for MLV or a alternative? Or a mlv2dng specially designed for the 50D (as Andy uploaded the raw2dng)?
As always, thanks for the great work.
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

djfremen

Check here. There should be the same recursive command for PC. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9679