50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sick stu

--dogmydog--

I also forgot to mention details of 50D overheating experience:
I was DOP on a short film and location was in a mens toilet.
and noooo it wasn't one of those movies before anyone asks.
There was a crew of 9 inc 2 actors, no windows, had to turn aircon off
for sound, camera was on a tripod so not getting any heat from my hands.
And it was around the 4th/5th hour when the room was getting its hottest
i noticed the 50D was crashing/freezing every 3rd take using a Komputerbay1000x 64gb
settings was H264 CBR, CBR factor 2.4x that i lowered to 2.0x for slightly better stability.
Batteries were 1x OEM canon, 1x Hamel, 4x Duracell (very good value for money).
Director called a lunch break, memory card was very hot.
After the camera cooled down we shot for another 2 hrs and 50D started crashing again.
Lucky we was filming the last few shots.

djfremen

Quote from: Andy600 on December 04, 2013, 09:22:26 AM
Nearly. I worked out the raw crop factor on the 50D (at 1080p) is 2.475x not 5x. It can shoot 2000px but it's near enough for a good approximation.

5x is the live view zoom factor (the recorded area is bigger than what you see in Liveview) so your 8mmm will be equivalent to approx 32mm on a full frame sensor. You may still get some distortion with a fisheye which will need correcting. Unfortunately, the recorded area (in crop mode) is not exactly in the center of the sensor so it will not be uniformed distortion :( You would need to manually correct perspective and pin-cushioning in post.

Other than that and the fact that you can't see exactly what you're shooting in crop, crop raw will give you the best quality. I'm shooting with it all the time. I rarely see moire and very little aliasing.

Tip: To 'roughly' work out what a lens will be when shooting crop video, just add the APS-C and raw crop factors i.e. lens focal length x 4

Thanks Andy.

Think that maybe the 14mm makes the most sense @ 55.44 mm.
It also probably won't contain that type of distortion.

So what's your advice for finding the region contained in the 5x? It seems you'd have to roll a test clip and then playback just to see what part of the image is being captured.

Andy600

Quote from: djfremen on December 04, 2013, 08:25:01 PM
Thanks Andy.

Think that maybe the 14mm makes the most sense @ 55.44 mm.
It also probably won't contain that type of distortion.

So what's your advice for finding the region contained in the 5x? It seems you'd have to roll a test clip and then playback just to see what part of the image is being captured.

Use 10x for focusing and the 'auto' preview mode set in the raw_rec or mlv_rec modules for framing (it's crap looking but accurate for framing a shot). I have Global Draw set to go off when I hit record (for speed) but it means you're stuck with a 5x crop view when filming I'm afraid (i.e. not the full recordable area).

Set focus box to 'snap to 5x raw' and press the joystick once in 5x mode. This will make live view jump to the center of the crop area but you'll have to guess at what is in frame outside of this area.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

You can use the color preview full time with this too but does the cam overheat faster?

lomka

is fast overheating issue only on 50d and 7d? and can it be "fixed"/resisted somehow?

1%

Its an issue for everything below 600D or maybe 60D. Whatever has that lv_state instead of evf state seems like overheat city.... not running a ton of stuff like histograms/waveforms/display filter/etc especially ones that touch the raw data helps but there is no real way to avoid it. In a hot climate I bet its a nightmare.

lomka

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

lomka

Quote from: Andy600 on December 06, 2013, 05:46:43 PM
So what's stopping you?
my camera is still shipping and i don't have skills to do it :X

TrueIndigo

Happen to see this mentioned on No Film school: raw software called ClipHouse (to copy, manage, colour, export) which it is claimed can also handle ML raw files. Costs $49 for a yearly renewal or $129 for a permanent license:

http://pomfort.com/cliphouse/index.html

Here's the No Film School item I found it from:

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/12/introducing-pomfort-cliphouse-raw-processing-software/

You can try it out for free. I think it's Mac only.

EDIT: I'd better post this in the "Post" section too, though the 50D section is my favourite place!

LEVISDAVIS

If heat becomes a major issue... Purchase an inexpensive A/C adapter that fits in the grip of the camera. I had a two camera shoot with the 50D. One camera was on batteries and the other was on A/C. The camera without the battery was typically 3 degrees Celsius cooler. It took the camera nearly an hour to reach the same temp as the camera with batteries. There is a definite advantage with the A/C adapter.
Levi S. Davis

LEVISDAVIS

May even consider purchasing two A/C adapter. Then, adapt the second A/C adapter and run it to a secondary battery.
Levi S. Davis

1%

What about grip + AC adapter.

dogmydog

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on December 07, 2013, 05:16:51 PM
If heat becomes a major issue... Purchase an inexpensive A/C adapter that fits in the grip of the camera. I had a two camera shoot with the 50D. One camera was on batteries and the other was on A/C. The camera without the battery was typically 3 degrees Celsius cooler. It took the camera nearly an hour to reach the same temp as the camera with batteries. There is a definite advantage with the A/C adapter.

Ty for the tips, guys! I really appreciate it.
I already bought a AC adapter on eBay, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I'll have a shoot next Monday. I'll put a dedicated fan on top of camera and ill use the AA batteries adapter on my grip. I'll post results here if it was of any help :)

Thanks again
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

pags

is there any new developments for the dead pixel problem that happens in high iso values?

lomka

Quote from: pags on December 09, 2013, 05:03:54 AM
is there any new developments for the dead pixel problem that happens in high iso values?
there is sensor cleaning option in camera which maps dead pixel.

Eran

Can someone please say if that Flickering issue in the Grayscale mood was always there ? On my 5D iii it's working just fine and I can frame my subject in 3xcrop. Also I don't remember that thing happen 4-6 months ago. I was wondering if there is any issue with my 50D camera? 
Here how it's look like:

https://vimeo.com/81429160

I'm using Latest Build 2013-12-08

Edit - if that's the "dialog timer" how do I disable it? , Sorry but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  Thanks!

Edit 2 - so it was the "dialog timer" thanks 1%, somehow I didn't have dialog timer in the Debug and missed that. I just looked in an older Build in a different card. Also lots of Modules was somehow missing here (like mlv_rec.mo), not sure why. Anyhow thanks!

1%

Thats canon redraw, dialog timer is active.

hijodeibn

Quote from: Andy600 on December 06, 2013, 05:46:43 PM
So what's stopping you?

Hi Andy600 - just a quick question.....did you ever publish the ML 50D user manual you were working at?

Regards!

Andy600

Quote from: hijodeibn on December 11, 2013, 06:23:46 PM
Hi Andy600 - just a quick question.....did you ever publish the ML 50D user manual you were working at?

Regards!

Not yet. Now that MLV is working and I have a reliable post workflow to recommend I'll get it finished but time is always against me ATM. At last count it was 50+ pages without any images yet... still got to do all those bits.

SleeperNinja

Quote from: Andy600 on December 11, 2013, 06:42:21 PM
Not yet. Now that MLV is working and I have a reliable post workflow to recommend I'll get it finished but time is always against me ATM. At last count it was 50+ pages without any images yet... still got to do all those bits.
I'd hate for time to be against me ass-to-mouth.

I'm going to be on vacation for a week, I might be able to make some images for you.

joaomoutinho

It would be really great to have a guide, with the .flv workflow and the latest build in your manual... I would pay good money for that! It would get me and whoever I work with a real fast and deep knowlodge about the camera and how to turn them to videos and grade before finally edit... et voi la

=) 

djfremen

Quote from: Andy600 on December 04, 2013, 09:22:26 AM
Nearly. I worked out the raw crop factor on the 50D (at 1080p) is 2.475x not 5x. It can shoot 2000px but it's near enough for a good approximation.

5x is the live view zoom factor (the recorded area is bigger than what you see in Liveview) so your 8mmm will be equivalent to approx 32mm on a full frame sensor. You may still get some distortion with a fisheye which will need correcting. Unfortunately, the recorded area (in crop mode) is not exactly in the center of the sensor so it will not be uniformed distortion :( You would need to manually correct perspective and pin-cushioning in post.

Other than that and the fact that you can't see exactly what you're shooting in crop, crop raw will give you the best quality. I'm shooting with it all the time. I rarely see moire and very little aliasing.

Tip: To 'roughly' work out what a lens will be when shooting crop video, just add the APS-C and raw crop factors i.e. lens focal length x 4

How would I determine the crop factor of 1280x720? I noticed this is also suffering from out of framed material in live view. I'm sticking by the fact that the only sure way to check framing is by rolling a prerecorded shot in the RAW record module.

Any chance we could know the x axis and y axis of the region being recorded in crop mode? Would there be a way to shoot a still, then match a 5x raw dmg against in Photoshop to determine exactly what region of the sensor is being used? Just a thought.

Thanks.

Andy600

***New Build of Tragic Lantern uploaded***

Disclaimer

As the 50D and several other models have been removed from the nightly builds (at least temporarily until the acceptable parts of Tragic Lantern are ported), you have the option of either building your own or downloading my build of 1%'s Tragic Lantern for the 50D.

I regularly receive messages regarding these builds as to their reliability and safety but I can only offer my opinion based on my own experience and daily usage. I am not an experienced coder. I have very basic knowledge (enough to compile and port a few things) and accept that developers like a1ex and g3gg0 would not highlight the dangers of such builds without good cause. I therefore state again that using these builds may damage your camera, although I have never personally had any problems.

By installing an unsupported build of Magic Lantern (as is the case with Tragic Lantern) you do so unsupported and entirely at your own risk. Please do not expect a1ex or other devs to come to the rescue if something breaks.

Hopefully, with a little help from willing users we can begin to commit things back to the main Magic Lantern Unified build and get it back into the nightly releases but for now, if you want the latest features, you will need to use Tragic Lantern.

Tragic Lantern is a rolling release and many features are experimental, specific to certain cameras and not thoroughly tested (although I do try to test as much as possible before uploading a new build). Tragic Lantern still has issues with incorrect shutter readout and problems with digital ISO. Please do not ask me when this will be fixed. I simply don't know and my guess is that it is a fairly big issue that will need a lot of work by a knowledgeable dev.

The latest build

It's been about a month since I last uploaded a build. There have been improvements to mlv_rec which is now, IMO, as useable as raw_rec with the added benefit of metadata, however raw_rec is still included and has an 'experimental' feature of selectable single or double buffering. It is up to you to test and report back here ;)

The Histogram was broken for several months and nobody noticed. A1ex spotted that only the top half of the histogram was being used (probably why the lower half always appeared red). This is now fixed.

mlv_play has had a few improvements and is useable for either .mlv or .raw video playback. You can press the camera play button to instantly access playback of your most recent shot and use the top wheel to scroll through other shots. Pressing the Picture Style button will bring up the player controls with selectable (fast) playback in grayscale or (slow) color. You can also now delete clips using the player.

The issue with pink or corrupt frames (.mlv) was resolved in the last build but has since been found to be overkill, lowering the priority of the writer below what the camera is capable of. The priority has been increased and you can now shoot .mlv with Global Draw ON and use focus peaking. I have tested this feature and not had any pink frames but please report if you have this problem. A balance needs to be found between performance and reliability.

To work around the shutter issue I suggest setting the shutter angle in the main menu and then locking the shutter in the movie menu (movie tweaks) after setting your desired fps with FPS override.

There are also several other minor tweaks and fixes but mostly to backend stuff. 

Download the latest Tragic Lantern for the 50D here: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/Tragic_Lantern_50D109-Andy600.2013Dec15_Histogram_fix_&_MLV_Improvements.zip

If you have to ask me how to install it you really shouldn't be using it! ;)

OT: You also download my FREE Film Punch LUT: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9521.msg91376#msg91376

djfremen

This is great! Love the MLV playback. It's an excellent and fast way of checking framing for 5x zoom.
Also tested the recording module and like the metadata addition.

One caveat is that you can't use mlvdump on any mac below 10.8.

Here's my command in terminal in Mavericks:
"mlv_dump --dng <path/filename.mlv>"

Usually just copy and past mlv_dump in same folder as mlv file, then run terminal.