50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyberhirsch

yeah, it seems you can only see the frame before and after you record, not while you are recording...
the other thing is, you don't seem to have manual control over shutter, iso and aperture, am i right?

simulacro

After playing around with the 50d doing some tests, I decided to make something specific. This is my first attempt. CONTROL shows a day in the life of a man hired to generate chaos:

I did it in one night with an actor (the black and white images are h.264). Done with an old version on ML raw (july 16). Most of the shots with a 58mm Helios 44 in some very dark environments, so you'll se some grain here and there, very visible in 3x crop shots with loss of resolution due to the wide aperture (f2)

Later in front of the screen, the real fight began. Working with raw, specially in an old 2008 macbook is a hassle, but it's worth it. Son of a Batch to create DNGs and proxies, Premiere for the editing, After Effects for the negative development and color correction. The first attempt of color correction was made using the VisionColor profile for ACR recently created, but it lifted more grain than working with the original ACR process, so I applied it only on few shots (ACR recognized the dngs with the "Canikon" profile, not the  specific 50d created for this camera)

Later the final touch with the Color Finesse color correction tool for After Effects. lots of options, specially grading the highlights and the shadows. Just amazing. Thanks again for the ML gurus ;D

riccardocovino

great idea, recycling footage wisely!
Noise is not so much disturbing, I would have appreciated a better white balance, skin tone was too yellow/green, even for city night lights.
Didn't understand the Kate Upton shot but appreciated it ;)
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

simulacro

Thanks Riccardo. The Kate Upton was there because the character is having fun, waiting for the demonstrations ends. It's like showing the character's indifference before the consequences of his job.

The greenish tone... recently i've seen several movies of a danish director, Nicholas Winding Refn, and loved his photography, nothing standard, he like to play with the limits of what you see, and that's my intention also. I wanted to create a disturbing atmosphere.

lionelp

I have not had the same experience in crop ie iso, shutter, fps, aperture.
Sometimes liveview has been slow or choppy.

"=cyberhirsch link=topic=5586.msg88872#msg88872 date=1384625523]
yeah, it seems you can only see the frame before and after you record, not while you are recording...
the other thing is, you don't seem to have manual control over shutter, iso and aperture, am i right?
[/quote]
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

Andy600

Quote from: lionelp on November 17, 2013, 02:54:49 PM
I have not had the same experience in crop ie iso, shutter, fps, aperture.
Sometimes liveview has been slow or choppy.

"=cyberhirsch link=topic=5586.msg88872#msg88872 date=1384625523]

Hmmm  ???, I have full control over ISO, FPS and aperture although there is a bug with the movie mode shutter (it shows photo mode shutter).

Live view choppy? It shouldn't be unless you're using the hack preview mode for crop recording which is has a lower lcd refresh rate
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

lionelp

Could have been. It rarely has happened actually. Everything else; full control as you have stated.
:)

Quote from: Andy600 on November 17, 2013, 03:24:49 PM
Hmmm  ???, I have full control over ISO, FPS and aperture although there is a bug with the movie mode shutter (it shows photo mode shutter).

Live view choppy? It shouldn't be unless you're using the hack preview mode for crop recording which is has a lower lcd refresh rate
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|

cyberhirsch

ML froze during recording, saying one frame skipped... i had to remove the battery, after that my flash card is gone now, 50d and windows tell me it needs to be formated.
unfortunely they both can't do it. is the card lost?

Andy600

Quote from: cyberhirsch on November 17, 2013, 04:18:40 PM
ML froze during recording, saying one frame skipped... i had to remove the battery, after that my flash card is gone now, 50d and windows tell me it needs to be formated.
unfortunely they both can't do it. is the card lost?

What card is it?

There are issues with UDMA7 cards becoming corrupt on USB2.0 readers.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

leojames

Hello can someone help me figure out why in the x5 magnifier i get a gray screen but it's fine and in color when i go in x10 magnifier
please see the image on this link.
http://i.imgur.com/hQLclih.png

Andy600

Quote from: leojames on November 17, 2013, 07:40:38 PM
Hello can someone help me figure out why in the x5 magnifier i get a gray screen but it's fine and in color when i go in x10 magnifier
please see the image on this link.
http://i.imgur.com/hQLclih.png

That's normal. You can select different preview modes in the raw module but it will use grayscale or the low res/fps hacked preview when recording. It's due to hardware/firmware limitations.

leojames

Quote from: Andy600 on November 17, 2013, 09:14:27 PM
That's normal. You can select different preview modes in the raw module but it will use grayscale or the low res/fps hacked preview when recording. It's due to hardware/firmware limitations.

Thanks that fixed it andy i went into the preview section and changed from auto to Canon now everything is works  ;D

cyberhirsch

It was a komputerbay 1000x 32gb ... I really use a USB reader, but it was corrupted in camera. When I inserted the battery again, the 50d claimed the card was not formatted. Is it possible that the card was corrupted by ML?

maxotics

The 50D needs the card formatted Fat32, won't work with exFat, etc.

cyberhirsch

i formatted the card with the 50d so i guess everything was fine, i was using it for a couple of days, even filled it completely one time. but suddenly the 50d froze and when i put the battery back in, it needed to be formatted again. so i tried to format it again, but it won't let me.

lionelp

Quote from: simulacro on November 16, 2013, 09:14:02 PM
After playing around with the 50d doing some tests, I decided to make something specific. This is my first attempt. CONTROL shows a day in the life of a man hired to generate chaos:

I did it in one night with an actor (the black and white images are h.264). Done with an old version on ML raw (july 16). Most of the shots with a 58mm Helios 44 in some very dark environments, so you'll se some grain here and there, very visible in 3x crop shots with loss of resolution due to the wide aperture (f2)

Later in front of the screen, the real fight began. Working with raw, specially in an old 2008 macbook is a hassle, but it's worth it. Son of a Batch to create DNGs and proxies, Premiere for the editing, After Effects for the negative development and color correction. The first attempt of color correction was made using the VisionColor profile for ACR recently created, but it lifted more grain than working with the original ACR process, so I applied it only on few shots (ACR recognized the dngs with the "Canikon" profile, not the  specific 50d created for this camera)

Later the final touch with the Color Finesse color correction tool for After Effects. lots of options, specially grading the highlights and the shadows. Just amazing. Thanks again for the ML gurus ;D

Nice work!!! Really enjoyed it.

Andy600

Quote from: cyberhirsch on November 18, 2013, 04:00:04 AM
i formatted the card with the 50d so i guess everything was fine, i was using it for a couple of days, even filled it completely one time. but suddenly the 50d froze and when i put the battery back in, it needed to be formatted again. so i tried to format it again, but it won't let me.

Sounds like it's bust. You need to RMA it to Komputerbay. They are usually quite fast to replace broken cards.

simulacro

leojames

Does anybody know where i can find a good tutorial about how to shoot and edit with the ML RAW 4:3 crop with a x2 anamorphic lens is there any benefit shooting in 4:3 ?

lionelp

Quote from: leojames on November 19, 2013, 09:58:17 PM
Does anybody know where i can find a good tutorial about how to shoot and edit with the ML RAW 4:3 crop with a x2 anamorphic lens is there any benefit shooting in 4:3 ?

www.eoshd.com/comments/forum/5-anamorphic

There's a lot there.

cyberhirsch

Quote from: Andy600 on November 18, 2013, 06:14:50 PM
Sounds like it's bust. You need to RMA it to Komputerbay. They are usually quite fast to replace broken cards.
yeah, i did, got two new ones already, a 64gb and a 128... i just wonder what caused the trouble though... you think it might have been caused by ML by any chance? or was it maybe a bad card all along... although it worked fine for a week....

maxotics

Those cards are factory seconds.  Which means a testing machine found potential problems.  When you buy the card, you put your time into testing them further in the interest of getting a good one.  I don't know of many guaranteed "brand" cards failing.  IF a card was going to die, then ML would be the thing you'd want to throw at it.  You're writing as fast as the camera can, generating heat, etc, and putting all the memory cells through max read/writes.  I just don't get it.  To ask if ML is somehow busting something that is a factory second?  Yes, it was a bad card along, as all of them have the potential to be discovered as such.

jamesd256

Quote from: maxotics on November 20, 2013, 03:33:36 AM
Those cards are factory seconds.  Which means a testing machine found potential problems.  When you buy the card, you put your time into testing them further in the interest of getting a good one.  I don't know of many guaranteed "brand" cards failing.  IF a card was going to die, then ML would be the thing you'd want to throw at it.  You're writing as fast as the camera can, generating heat, etc, and putting all the memory cells through max read/writes.  I just don't get it.  To ask if ML is somehow busting something that is a factory second?  Yes, it was a bad card along, as all of them have the potential to be discovered as such.

Interesting to know that.  Out of interest, I googled around a bit to find more info on this information, but the only reference to "factory seconds" and komputerbay was in posts by you.  I didn't look that hard, admittedly.

Would you mind sharing your source for this information?   I think it would be interesting given the volume of use of these cards for raw by people using these forums.
5D3, 550D

scrizz

Quote from: maxotics on November 20, 2013, 03:33:36 AM

I....

QuoteALL ITEMS SOLD THROUGH komputerbay.com ARE SOLD "AS IS" OR "WITH ALL FAULTS". THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE MERCHANDISE IS WITH THE BUYER. SHOULD ANY OF THE MERCHANDISE PROVE TO BE DEFECTIVE, NOT FUNCTION OR FUNCTION IMPROPERLY IN ANY FOLLOWING THEIR PURCHASE, THE BUYER, AND NOT THE MANUFACTURER, DISTRIBUTOR, OR komputerbay.com, ASSUMES THE ENTIRE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING OR REPAIR BEYOND WARRANTY IF ANY. THE BUYER SHOULD CONTACT komputerbay.com DIRECTLY WITH ANY WARRANTY ISSUES.

http://www.komputerbay.com/terms-and-conditions  :-\

oc_masta

Quick question, searched and couldn't get an answer.

Im using Rawanizer to extract DNG's from the RAW and it creates a brilliant proxy ProRes444 file, which edits wonderfully.
Its my understanding that the DNG's are converted into TIFF by rawanizer and then uses these TIFF's to create the proxy ProRes? is that correct?
Also, why are my TIFF files looking as though they are negatives??