50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on November 14, 2013, 12:00:23 AM
My problem was just opening a folder of DNGs.  I couldn't stop it from trying to create thumbnails of them all, which took forever.  Is that the problem you had with the new version?  Okay, I have 4.0.11.32...hmmm.  I have a decent i7 PC.  I have it set to open the smallest thumbnail, though I wish it wouldn't open any.
It works fast for me making all the thumbnails. and they are maybe around 2 1/2" in size. The end part works quite slow in the queue. I can also change directories and it quickly makes new thumbnails. The programs tends to hang quite a bit though, like in the queue processing time. I have version 4.0.11.32 and I also have the fastest i7 3770k system I built running 3.9 ghz stock speed that i sometimes overclock using a huge heatsink/fan giving me 4.5 ghz. I don't use Raw Therapee a lot, though. It's not the speed in workflow I want to use.

pulsar124

Quote from: maxotics on November 14, 2013, 12:52:42 AM
Hope I don't sound dumb, but I'm confused on the ACR.  You mean Adobe Camera Raw, right?  And if so, why would you run DNGs through it again, isn't that what raw2dng is for?  What do you mean "ACR-tweaked." 

I generally used raw2dng, then if I want tiffs, UFRAW with options.

ACR is an equivalent of UFRAW. It can output processed RAW files as JPEG, TIFF (8/16 bit), and as DNG.

1%

QuoteI used Tragic_Lantern_50D109-Andy600.Build.2013Sep08 on a Lexar 32GB 1000x, a Sandisk 16 GB 60mb/s and a Transcend 16GB 1000X on a Canon 50D with an Lilliput external monitor.
Resolution was 1584x892, 16:9, FPS Override 23.976, Exact FPS. GD Off.
Workflow was joining files with FSplitter, Extracting RAWs with RAWBatchelor 3.0, Importing in AE CC, correcting color on ACR and exporting to DxHD 10 bit to edit in Premiere CC.

Did you turn off the dialog timers... every 15 frames sounds like it only slowed them down ... ie from small hacks. Once its broken you can only try to interpolate the frames in twixtor or AE. :(

D.L. Watson

I'll probably get some hate for posting this, but here it is anyway. A comparison between the 50D and the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera RAW.

50D is still the incredible useful for it's price, but if you like the flexibility of the 5D Mark III RAW video but don't want to pay $3,000+, consider the Pocket Cam. Especially since it's now in stock.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

PressureFM

Quote from: D.L. Watson on November 14, 2013, 08:22:49 AM
I'll probably get some hate for posting this, but here it is anyway. A comparison between the 50D and the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera RAW.

50D is still the incredible useful for it's price, but if you like the flexibility of the 5D Mark III RAW video but don't want to pay $3,000+, consider the Pocket Cam. Especially since it's now in stock.

Buy a Metabones Speed Booster to get that Super 16 to Super 35 and gain 1 stop of light! :)

Also, it is very apparent that you didn't ETTR equally. It seems you sacrificed a lot more highlights on the BMPCC to gain better shadow performance or does the BMPCC simply preserve highlights. Try making the same comparison with highlights instead of shadows.

D.L. Watson

Quote from: PressureFM on November 14, 2013, 09:20:10 AM
Buy a Metabones Speed Booster to get that Super 16 to Super 35 and gain 1 stop of light! :)

Also, it is very apparent that you didn't ETTR equally. It seems you sacrificed a lot more highlights on the BMPCC to gain better shadow performance or does the BMPCC simply preserve highlights. Try making the same comparison with highlights instead of shadows.

Actually, I used Zebras to ETTR the same for both cameras. Because of the extra dynamic range, I was able to overexpose more on the BMPCC than the 50D. It wasn't perfect, but I tried to get Zebras telling me I was clipping the same amount of highlight data on each camera.

I plan on getting a Metabones Speedbooster, but I'm not sure how that would improve the dynamic range of the 50D.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

rockfallfilms

Thanks for posting this DL. I'm quite surprised by the lack of shadow detail on the 50D. The BMPCC dynamic range definitely impressive, unfortunately you still can't buy it in the UK!

If you have time, could you do a moire test between both cameras on those car grilles?

PressureFM

Quote from: D.L. Watson on November 14, 2013, 10:03:47 AM
I plan on getting a Metabones Speedbooster, but I'm not sure how that would improve the dynamic range of the 50D.

I was talking specifically for the BMPCC, as it won't work on the 50D.

cyberhirsch

hey guys,
i've been using ml for some time now on a 550d, but i'm still a noob when it comes to nightly builds and raw recording on my brand new very old 50d.
i know this is probably the wrong place to ask stupid questions, but i am overwhelmed by a million of open tabs and i think i just need someone to point me to the best build...
i'm willing to take any risk necessary to record a raw sequence in at least full hd (crop), so far i tried the latest nightly build for the 50d as well as the latest official final release.
in both cases i didn't get to load the necessary modules.
i would be trying this one next:
"UPDATE: June 11th

@GregoryOfManhatten's latest build (70MB/s capable raw video) - note ETTR is not currently working in photo mode

https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/09june13-50D-45e63064ec08-70MB.zip"

any other suggestions? thank you!

dsManning

Quote from: cyberhirsch on November 14, 2013, 04:10:22 PM
hey guys,
i've been using ml for some time now on a 550d, but i'm still a noob when it comes to nightly builds and raw recording on my brand new very old 50d.
i know this is probably the wrong place to ask stupid questions, but i am overwhelmed by a million of open tabs and i think i just need someone to point me to the best build...
i'm willing to take any risk necessary to record a raw sequence in at least full hd (crop), so far i tried the latest nightly build for the 50d as well as the latest official final release.
in both cases i didn't get to load the necessary modules.
i would be trying this one next:
"UPDATE: June 11th

@GregoryOfManhatten's latest build (70MB/s capable raw video) - note ETTR is not currently working in photo mode

https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/09june13-50D-45e63064ec08-70MB.zip"

any other suggestions? thank you!

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg87952#msg87952

The first post hasn't been updated in some time.  Best to check the last few pages of the thread for a post by Andy. He is supplying the builds.

cyberhirsch

thanks for pointing me to it!
i have it running now, but still can't select and load modules. i don't see the tab.
shouldn't there be a tab where i load the modules like raw_rec and mlv rec?
what am i missing?

dogmydog

Quote from: 1% on November 14, 2013, 03:42:10 AM
Did you turn off the dialog timers... every 15 frames sounds like it only slowed them down ... ie from small hacks. Once its broken you can only try to interpolate the frames in twixtor or AE. :(

Thanks for the tip, 1%! Ill definately try the interpolation!

About the dialog timers, I turned them off at first, but it seems like everytime I turn off camera or change card (which happens a lot) I need to turn it off again. Is that correct?
Isn't there an automated way of doing this? Small hacks was definately on all the time.

Sorry for noobin :)

Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

dogmydog

Really cool video!
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

cyberhirsch

okay, i guess i made some progress, my mistake was looking for an M in the menu!
now i got the first mlv files... is there a way to copy them right off camera instead of going through a card reader?
unfortunately only a couple of frames, the write speed is not as expected, only between 50-60
my komputerbay cf should be fast enough, when benchmarking it is up to 84 write speed. what could be the cause of the low speed? is it the buffer mode?
thanks for your help and excuse my bad english!

dlrpgmsvc

If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

jamesd256

Thanks for this, very interesting.  It does kind of reveal what we already know, ie that the BMPCC has much more dynamic range.  I look forward to other tests comparing its raw mode for detail, low light capabilities and moire (also noticed there was more moire on the car grill vs BMCCC compressed)

I also look forward to the real shoot out - 5dII with Dual ISO on vs the BMPCC
5D3, 550D

lionelp

.  It does kind of reveal what we already know, ie that the BMPCC has much more dynamic range.  I look forward to other tests comparing its raw mode for detail, low light capabilities and moire (also noticed there was more moire on the car grill vs BMCCC compressed)

I also look forward to the real shoot out - 5dII with Dual ISO on vs the BMPCC
[/quote]

:) Agreed. Appreciate the test. Glad that you like  the BMPCC, D.L. .It is definitely a game changing camera!
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

pulsar124

So from what I understand, the Digital Dolly feature doesn't work in the most recent build, right? It doesn't do anything for me. But even if it worked as intended (I guess by operating the joystick while shooting), I am not sure it'd be very useful - I can't see how one could use it to implement a slow, steady and smooth parallel shift of the window.

How about my original suggestion - would it be too hard to implement a pre-programmed Dolly - you specify the shift (pixels per frame; can be negative), the starting position of the window will be at the opposite end, and when you start shooting the window will start smoothly shifting towards the opposite end (when you reach the opposite end, it can just continue recording)? In simplest case, only one additional input parameter would be required - delta_x (pixels per frame). Ideally, the shift could be made in any or both directions, by using the second parameter, delta_y.

I think such a feature would be really useful - steady, adjustable and very smooth panning, with no jerks and camera shakes from using the joystick.

What do you think?

joaomoutinho

Hi guys... First of all, I have to pardon me because I am in a workflow that I need to deliver footage tomorow.

Worked on a 50D raw, and now I am with a difficulty that I cant find the tuturial to merge all the .rar files and turn them to a single .RAW file
Working on a PC Win7 64Bit
Please help me!

And again, sorry for my question but I am really in a bad situation!

TrueIndigo

Some people have experienced problems with RAW Therapee when adding large numbers of files to the queue for processing. On the RAW Therapee forum I read this workaround:

Create a temporary folder with no files in it.
Go into RAW Therapee and add your files to the queue.
Set the browser tab to be open on the empty folder you created.
Close RAW Therapee to refresh it, then open it again.
On the queue tab set your job to process.
Quickly switch to the browser tab which is open on the folder with no files.

For lots of files, RAW Therapee queue processing seems to work better with the queue in the background and the file browser in the foreground (and no thumbnail generation). If you are experiencing processing crashes, give this method a go.

rommex

Quote from: joaomoutinho on November 15, 2013, 11:19:49 PM
Hi guys... First of all, I have to pardon me because I am in a workflow that I need to deliver footage tomorow.

Worked on a 50D raw, and now I am with a difficulty that I cant find the tuturial to merge all the .rar files and turn them to a single .RAW file
Working on a PC Win7 64Bit
Please help me!

And again, sorry for my question but I am really in a bad situation!

Hey,

Current version of raw2cdng joins all the parts automatically and converts the bunch into RAW sequence.

Still if you want to do it the old way you can use the prog File Joiner & Splitter. You have to edit file extensions before you use it - the prog explains it.

CITY-U1001

how convert raw to cdng in LOG ?
50D | EFS 18-55 | last build crop_rec-3744x1080_24fps_50D-eXperimental.4.57pm.2020May06.50D109.zip

rommex

Quote from: CITY-U1001 on November 16, 2013, 09:22:26 AM
how convert raw to cdng in LOG ?

These are RAW containers. Why would you need at this stage????

rommex

Haha, peace, DL, no hate )))

Basically I did such test with 50D and BMCC, published here some weeks ago. Roughly the same results. No big deal. I estimated the difference in 1-1.5 stops.

These are two awesome tools and I guess a comparison between them would cause hate from some immature guys ;))

One note, though, that when comparing two bodies there must be some reservation about the lenses. I guess when you add to these 'cheap' -- in a respectful way -- bodies some decent  3-4 lenses, the $500 difference would vanish. So it is all about the lens preference and availability. Personally, I have 7 adorable Canon EF lenses, and 50D is a God-send to shoot raw video. Just MHO )

maxotics

Yes, being able to use EF lenses is a big plus.  Does anyone know of a way to see the what the 50D's recording in crop mode.  It shoots in 3x but shows 5x on the screen.  Good for focusing, of course.  Am I missing something easy?