50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Yes crop video. It was 2000x910 (2.35:1). I shot a lot at different resolutions/ratios without issue but that one was screwed up for some reason.

Previously, bar the corrupt frames, I never had any problem with conversion. Maybe the base_prio can be tweaked further? 0x05 was too much so maybe 0x1C is too little? I'm crap with hex :D

re: metadata - WB is needed, ISO I think is important and might be needed if apps like Resolve officially support the format in the future, lens info is useful (though not for me because I only have vintage manual lenses).

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

I thought of that too, how far can it be pushed... was the 2000x1080 continuous when the base was high?

My conversion to dng gpf'd mlv_dump, mlv2dng still worked though. Also some mlv_dump frames came out all black.

Andy600

Didn't get continuous at max 2000px res but did at 1080p although I rarely leave it recording for more than 1-2 mins and did have the odd stop. Might be the card though.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

I think my problem might not be with mlv_rec but with mlv_dump on Win7 64bit. It won't dump any file  :-\

menoc

There's an mlv converter for Mac OSX. See jphansen's post below. I have not tried it yet, so don't know if it works . . .

Quote from: jphansen on September 04, 2013, 11:20:41 PM
This is for 10.8.3 Mountain Lion users.. I guess you can install the Lion version the same way...  gcc-mlion.tar.gz - Mountain Lion. gcc-lion.tar.gz - Lion version

Found a solution to get the mac versions to work (the absolutely non geeky/I dont know Unix way)... The problem is the "libstdc++.6.dylib". And WTF is that anyway.. My answer I DOOONT know.. Anyway.. I found the missing libraries to install.. Here is what you need to do:

Go to http://hpc.sourceforge.net and download this file http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/hpc/gcc-mlion.tar.gz?download.

Go to Terminal and cd to the download folder cd /Users/UserName/Downloads/ Then gunzip gcc-lion.tar.gz (if your browser didn't do so already) and then sudo tar -xvf gcc-mlion.tar -C /

I used 7zX because I dont know how to gunzip..

Restart your mac and BOOOOM!!! MLVConverter.app works for me...

Hope this helps some..

1%

Quotemlv_dump on Win7 64bit. It won't dump any file

Ok, then its not just me.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on November 12, 2013, 09:42:00 AM
Ok, then its not just me.

Very odd. Tried again this morning and mlv_dump is working on new and older .mlv files.  Might have been Windows causing the problem but as it doesn't do anything registry related I can't figure out why it's working/not working.

Used this:

mlv_dump --dng M12-1309.MLV

father_v

Following my promo post a while back...here it is if anyone's interested, vast majority shot 50D raw:

dogmydog

Hey guys!

I'm shooting a webseries on my Canon 50D with RAW_REC. Everything was going great, but after a day's recording, I had corrupt frames on some of my videos.

Is there a way to fix it on post? I mean not all frames were corrupted but only 1 frame every 10 or 15 seconds of video. I got no errors on screen while recording.

I was wondering if I could cut off the corrupt DNGs and use an After Effects FX to blend one good frame into the next is that possible? Filling the hole?

I also thought about duplicating the 1st previous good frame and replacing the bad one, but that would make the video stutter a bit. If there is no other resolution, I guess I'll have to settle for that :(

I really don't know what went wrong.

I used Tragic_Lantern_50D109-Andy600.Build.2013Sep08 on a Lexar 32GB 1000x, a Sandisk 16 GB 60mb/s and a Transcend 16GB 1000X on a Canon 50D with an Lilliput external monitor.
Resolution was 1584x892, 16:9, FPS Override 23.976, Exact FPS. GD Off.
Workflow was joining files with FSplitter, Extracting RAWs with RAWBatchelor 3.0, Importing in AE CC, correcting color on ACR and exporting to DxHD 10 bit to edit in Premiere CC.

The cards are still working, so it's not a defective card issue.
Please help me, if you can.

Thank you all,
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

rockfallfilms

I see Blackmagic released Raw on the BMPCC. Former 50D alumni DL Watson posted this Prores/Raw comparison on Vimeo.

He said he'll do a moire comparison between the BMPCC and 50D. I'd be interested in seeing how they compare as the BMPCC is showing a bit of moire in Raw mode.

Nice image though.

pulsar124

I think I am converging to use 30p for my attempts at footage stocks with 50D. It looks like stocks prefer 30p over 24p, and they strongly prefer 16:9 full HD. I checked yesterday, and Oct. 11 TL has no problem recording uncropped video at 16:9 and 30p to my Lexar 32GB 1000x. I upgraded my ACR to the newest one (8.2), and now it does have the arbitrary resizing option at the end - meaning I can do almost everything now inside ACR (with resizing and final sharpening). (Still it doesn't output PNG, so I have to rely on JPEGs to deliver frames from ACR to Virtualdub). The workflow now is

DNGs->ACR->JPEGs->Virtualdub->video

The only filter I need in Virtualdub is Crop: upscaled uncropped frames in ACR have the size 1920x1081, so I tell Virtualdub to shave off that one extra row of pixels.

My research also shows that footage stocks frowns upon color grading (it should be left for the buyer to do that, to match their whole sequence of clips), which simplifies life. I just plan to use ACR to fit the dynamic range into 8 bits (lift shadows, recover highlights etc), correct WB, and perhaps increase saturation (especially for landscape and abstract videos).

maxotics

I'm going to continue working with the EOS-M which I accept will probably always be in Alpha.

I have lots of other stills cameras, so I no longer feel it makes sense to keep the 50D just for RAW video.  Without any time-line for a production version of ML on the 50D I'd rather put the money into a BMPCC.  I'm not saying this to discourage anyone from getting a 50D and using it for ML.  If I was young and this was my only camera I'd be quite happy.  Also, there are features that ML offers that the BM cameras do not.  However, I feel I should point out to anyone following this stuff what my final conclusion, for me, has been.  I just can't trust, when I take this camera out, that something won't happen as I expect it.  Last night I took it to shoot an event and though the RAW video recording worked fine, it didn't record a bunch of photos I took.  I'm sure there's a good reason.  But I'm tired of searching through threads trying to figure stuff out.

Has been a fantastic learning experience!  Definitely whet my appetite for a 5D3! running ML :)

Here's the camera if anyone is in the Boston area and wants it.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pho/4189491469.html

lionelp

Quote from: rockfallfilms on November 13, 2013, 01:24:38 PM
I see Blackmagic released Raw on the BMPCC. Former 50D alumni DL Watson posted this Prores/Raw comparison on Vimeo.

He said he'll do a moire comparison between the BMPCC and 50D. I'd be interested in seeing how they compare as the BMPCC is showing a bit of moire in Raw mode.

Nice image though.

Looks like a lot of moire in the grills of at least two cars! Wow! Am I wrong?

Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

rockfallfilms

Quote from: lionelp on November 13, 2013, 08:07:25 PM

Looks like a lot of moire in the grills of at least two cars! Wow! Am I wrong?

Yeah I was surprised to see that much, I thought the bmpcc was supposed to be moiré free as there's no down sampling.

It seems that each camera has its downsides.

lionelp

Quote from: rockfallfilms on November 13, 2013, 08:12:34 PM
Yeah I was surprised to see that much, I thought the bmpcc was supposed to be moiré free as there's no down sampling.

It seems that each camera has its downsides.

Absolutely agree. I mean it is a great thing that BM is doing. Same for ML!!!. No camera (that doesn't cost a small fortune) will not have its issues. All cameras will have issues if they don't cost mega money. :)
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

maxotics

Just want to point out that moire is a naturally occurring phenomenon and all cameras, in the right circumstances, will show it.

Andy600

Quote from: maxotics on November 13, 2013, 09:19:10 PM
Just want to point out that moire is a naturally occurring phenomenon and all cameras, in the right circumstances, will show it.

True. Got some crop 50D footage with a touch of moire. It also helps to remember that different debayering methods can help a lot. I flit between ACR and Raw Therapee using AMaZE and DCB. You can never completely rid a shot of it but there are methods/tricks to concealing it. Aliasing is a bigger headache and you have to be very careful what you shoot.

maxotics

Quote from: Andy600 on November 13, 2013, 09:49:30 PM
True. Got some crop 50D footage with a touch of moire. It also helps to remember that different debayering methods can help a lot. I flit between ACR and Raw Therapee using AMaZE and DCB. You can never completely rid a shot of it but there are methods/tricks to concealing it. Aliasing is a bigger headache and you have to be very careful what you shoot.

Absolutely, on the de-bayering.  Have you tried Davinci yet Andy?  I suspect it has debayering that it tuned to video.  I think I'm going to run DNGs through Davinci in the future to DxHD and just edit from there.  I just wish I had more brain cells for that Resolve app.  I ran out a few years ago :)

Andy600

Quote from: maxotics on November 13, 2013, 10:27:46 PM
Absolutely, on the de-bayering.  Have you tried Davinci yet Andy?  I suspect it has debayering that it tuned to video.  I think I'm going to run DNGs through Davinci in the future to DxHD and just edit from there.  I just wish I had more brain cells for that Resolve app.  I ran out a few years ago :)

Yes. I use Resolve quite a lot but it's debayering of 14bit DNG files is atrocious. Converting to CDNG 12bit seems better but I haven't done a conclusive test.

My current workflow is raw or mlv -> ACR (unless the shot is riddled with moire, in which case I jump into Raw Therapee and play around with debayering options) -> output to scaled 16bit TIFFs then into Premier Pro to edit -> then into Resolve or AE for CC depending on what I want to do (both have advantages and disadvantages). If I need more latitude/highlight recovery I go back to the original DNGs and play more in ACR/Raw Therapee and redump the TIFFs. I seriously don't rate Resolve's debayering algos for ML raw video. It probably sings with BMCC, Red or Alexa footage though.

Interestingly I'm looking at the metadata from a ML raw (MLV) file vs data from a BMPCC DNG. Some differences there regarding CFA pattern etc. I don't pretend to understand the half of it but my guess is that ML raw footage will need metadata similar to BMPCC for debayering to work well in Resolve. 

maxotics

Thanks Andy.  I tried RAW Therapee but couldn't figure out a workflow where opening the folder of DNGs didn't slow it to a crawl.  Also, the batch processing I never got to work well.  Maybe I was just tired.  I looked, but couldn't find a good tutorial/info for processing ML dngs in Raw Therapee.  Do you know of one?  I agree, the image manipulation choices are awesome!  I'd actually rather write batch script to RAW Therapee than use Resolve manually! 

Andy600

Quote from: maxotics on November 13, 2013, 10:57:20 PM
Thanks Andy.  I tried RAW Therapee but couldn't figure out a workflow where opening the folder of DNGs didn't slow it to a crawl.  Also, the batch processing I never got to work well.  Maybe I was just tired.  I looked, but couldn't find a good tutorial/info for processing ML dngs in Raw Therapee.  Do you know of one?  I agree, the image manipulation choices are awesome!  I'd actually rather write batch script to RAW Therapee than use Resolve manually!

I don't know any, sorry. I just jumped in and messed around for a few hours. As with ACR it's best to only use functions that you don't have in yor NLE or it will a) increase conversion time and b) may introduce flicker. Never use auto WB or auto anything for that matter. If you can't manually get a good WB in your NLE scopes you can Auto WB one shot in RawTherapee then take a note of the settings, then reset and enter the settings manually. When you have the settings you need you can either save a preset (I always do) or hit the copy to clipboard icon. Then go back to the file browser and select all the dngs you want to apply the settings to, right+click and you'll see a 'process' menu in the context menu, then just apply and wait untill all DNGs change to look corrected. Then 'select all' again and move them to the queue. Set your output prefs (tiff/jepg etc), choose a destination and hit start. It does take a while though.

I'm on PC and I had a lot of hassle with Raw Therapee recently after updating it. It doesn't seem to like certain directory structures and profiles made in older versions so I stick to v4.0.11.32.

Always start with the default profile and set exposure to neutral (hit the neutral button). Then play with exposure setting manually. For moire fixing I find the worst frame(s) and then in the raw tab (checkerbox icon) I choose AMaZE, set to about 3-4. It's also worth playing with DCB. The other algos are not that good. I always do this for non-crop ML raw DNGs but I tend to leave AMaZE set to 0 for crop footage as it can cause artifacts.

You can also use DCP files from ACR in Raw Therapee. I have free VisionLog working there. Just remember to set it to use the DCP's luma curve.

TBH It's all a big pain in the ass :D but that's raw for you!

If you're ok working with log I can probably set up a couple of basic profiles for Raw Therapee (one for crop and the other for non-crop). That will mean you only need to play with exposure, WB and sizing. I can set CR and fringing reduction etc to on. Obviously I've tuned it to my lenses but would be a starting point if you want to try it?

maxotics

My problem was just opening a folder of DNGs.  I couldn't stop it from trying to create thumbnails of them all, which took forever.  Is that the problem you had with the new version?  Okay, I have 4.0.11.32...hmmm.  I have a decent i7 PC.  I have it set to open the smallest thumbnail, though I wish it wouldn't open any.

Andy600

Quote from: maxotics on November 14, 2013, 12:00:23 AM
My problem was just opening a folder of DNGs.  I couldn't stop it from trying to create thumbnails of them all, which took forever.  Is that the problem you had with the new version?  Okay, I have 4.0.11.32...hmmm.  I have a decent i7 PC.  I have it set to open the smallest thumbnail, though I wish it wouldn't open any.

Yes, it take ages and caches thumbnails for everything  :-\  I only use it when I have moire issues. 

Andy600

BTW, you can make your changes to your ML raw DNGs in ACR then export as DNGs then IF you need AMaZE/DCB etc you can import an ACR-tweaked DNG, set exposure settings to default and just play with the debayering algos then export to 16bit TIFF (wish there was video export in RT though) ;)

maxotics

Quote from: Andy600 on November 14, 2013, 12:26:11 AM
BTW, you can make your changes to your ML raw DNGs in ACR then export as DNGs then IF you need AMaZE/DCB etc you can import an ACR-tweaked DNG, set exposure settings to default and just play with the debayering algos then export to 16bit TIFF (wish there was video export in RT though) ;)

Hope I don't sound dumb, but I'm confused on the ACR.  You mean Adobe Camera Raw, right?  And if so, why would you run DNGs through it again, isn't that what raw2dng is for?  What do you mean "ACR-tweaked." 

I generally used raw2dng, then if I want tiffs, UFRAW with options.