50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

I'd rather add the OLPF from 5DIII to the 50D than remove the one it has already :)

Andy600

If you do some more research you'll find that people who removed the OLPF from their 5D3's have since had them reinstalled and that can be costly as the original one is destroyed during removal. We actually need a better/stronger one than we have (from memory I think the 50D actually has 2).

A lot of the new cameras don't have OLPF's but that is only viable because of the extremely high number of sensor pixels and only really beneficial for stills. Video from non OLPF sensors usually have a ton more aliasing and moire than low MP sensors.

IMO the VAF is the best choice for reducing moire and aliasing but the VAF image looks like it's half way between native H.264 and raw. It looks pretty bad to my eyes but, without being too critical of Levis's prototype test shots, I would like to see a more detailed test of the 50D with a VAF and a sharp L Lens to be sure. At the moment I feel it's a nice try but not worth the cost for me because as someone said previously, living in Europe bumps the cost up considerably and if I were to spend that kind of money I'd be looking at a BMPCC or a good wide or anamorphic lens.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

@1% - got trouble compiling mlv_rec

../lv_rec/raw2dng.c: In function 'main':
../lv_rec/raw2dng.c:72:5: warning: implicit declaration of function '_fseeki64' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
[ GCC      ]   raw2dng
raw2dng.o: In function `main':
raw2dng.c:(.text.startup+0x6c): undefined reference to `_fseeki64'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [raw2dng] Error 1

I tried g3gg0's pre-built module and I swear the raw images look better than raw_rec but still getting random corrupt frames and missing camera model ERR. Does this happen on the 7D too?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Heldico

Quote from: Andy600 on November 09, 2013, 06:03:02 PM

Video from non OLPF sensors usually have a ton more aliasing and moire than low MP sensors.

I've never seen any moire/aliasing on my Nikon D7100's videos ... (24Mpix and without OLPF)

Quote from: Andy600 on November 09, 2013, 06:03:02 PM
IMO the VAF is the best choice for reducing moire and aliasing but the VAF image looks like it's half way between native H.264 and raw. It looks pretty bad to my eyes but, without being too critical of Levis's prototype test shots, I would like to see a more detailed test of the 50D with a VAF and a sharp L Lens to be sure.

Looking from Levis's test footage the VAF seems to eliminate all the false details, which could give the feeling of loosing details but actually just kill artifacts that were never there. Anyway I will do a detailed test when I get mine and will see if my guesses are true or not.

Andy600

@1% - Just looking at the EXIFs of some mlv DNGs and 'subject distance' is changing on corrupt frames. I'll dig deeper into the exifs and see what else is being screwed. Maybe if those bits of metadata are voided it might clear up the corrupt/pink frame issues!?

1%

QuoteDoes this happen on the 7D too?

Yea, much worse. Last one I tried it was slowing down LV and causing pink frames all over.

Good news is that the speed seems finally there, maybe better even. Will have to try today's see if there are improvements.

What are you compiling with... btw this is for the tools that aren't compiling.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on November 09, 2013, 08:01:30 PM
Yea, much worse. Last one I tried it was slowing down LV and causing pink frames all over.

Good news is that the speed seems finally there, maybe better even. Will have to try today's see if there are improvements.

What are you compiling with... btw this is for the tools that aren't compiling.

Speed sounds good :)

I'm compiling with the pre-built compiler on Ubuntu.

1%

It should be using fseeko then according to the preprocessor.

Andy600

Weird. Restarted and it compiles now  ???

Not noticing any speed increase. What buffer method are you using (mlv)?

Still got f**ked frames but mlv images are brighter and less noisy than raw_rec. Must be because of the metadata.

1%

Yep, it must be ACR interraction with the dng... does the camera model show up? Apparently a log of ACR stuff comes from that. Setting the camera model via command line looks better and better.

I'm using buffer method 4 on MLV usually. I tested it mainly with 7D, there are more resolutions /modes to try.

Andy600

I hardcoded the model name for now and I'm hoping Chmee adds it to his raw2cdng. Model name seems to be vital for ACR.

Incidentally, just been comparing DNGs converted with raw2dng (14bit) and Chmee's CDNG converter (12bit) in Resolve 10. It debayers the 12bit files much better.

I've noticed a little speed increase in mlv recording after testing but still useless atm because of the random crap frames.

bzhwindtalker

I got my first serious bug on MLraw, the camera could not get into liveview with raw enabled or would crash within seconds with fps override going all over the place, or error messages saying card full even if the format menu said 25gb left. I had to take of the battery at each crash. Then I disabled modules loading and managed to record H264, but as you know quality sucks, and it's very hard to match to raw files. I'm using two komputarbay 32gb without issues since august. I will try to reinstall ML on this card and report results...
50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

Andy600

I think I've solved the corrupt frames problem with mlv_rec (50D). Shot 50+ takes and not detected any bad frames  8)

@1% see my pull request in the main ML repo and try it. Might work for 7D too!?

1%

Worth a shot, it might be from task priority. 5DII/50D/7D are pretty much the same cam generation.

Andy600

Shot more and still no bad frames. Just need Camera model fix and we're good to go I think. :)

1%

Andy600

@1% - Are the stubs for camera properties unique or can this https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/commits/919eb57564ff8036420cf1e941fe38c20696ecd9 be added to the 50D stubs? Would fix cam model and unique model name.

pulsar124

I did a bit more testing with my new card (Lexar 32GB 1000x), and the October 11 build. In crop mode, I can reliably go up to 1920x1080x24p resolutions in 16:9 ratio (83.0 MB/s; no dropped frames) and 2000x910x24p in 2.2:1 ratio. At even higher res, 2000x1080x24p, I get ~1000 frames before a frame drop.  I have to turn Global draw off and enable Hacks to make this work. I am happy about this results.

But many points are not clear to me. I don't see crop marks when doing 16:9 cropped video - is it possible to enable them? I think I got it - it needs to be enabled.

I tried the turning Digital dolly on, but it didn't do anything for me in crop mode (I pushed the joystick around) - neither before nor during recording. Is it supposed to be functional?

I was recording first in C1 mode, but then switched to Av to have DoF control. It looks like in Av mode I can't do any changes to aperture or shutter speed during the recording - is it normal? I am looking wright now at the 1920x1080 crop video, and it looks very noisy - does it mean that ML boosted ISO a lot? How to make sure I use only low ISO? (I am using "optimize for low light" RAW video setting.)

Thanks!

1%

Unique... I never added them? Guess I'll have to go through and find them for everything since MLV is starting to be viable.

QuoteI was recording first in C1 mode, but then switched to Av to have DoF control. It looks like in Av mode I can't do any changes to aperture or shutter speed during the recording - is it normal?

I added that yesterday, expect a speed drop but at least you can adjust expo. Advanced -> freeze exposure

QuoteI don't see crop marks when doing 16:9 cropped video - is it possible to enable them?

When the black crop marks were added they started using GD to draw, guess what happened. Everyone is too 5DIII centric or don't know you get like 10%+ speed increase when GD shuts off.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on November 10, 2013, 09:31:09 PM
Unique... I never added them? Guess I'll have to go through and find them for everything since MLV is starting to be viable.

I can't see the in the stubs.

I'll wait a bit before compiling a new download if we can get Cam model working for mlv.

1%

Yup, will have to work on it tonite, I have a bunch stuff to do.. flying out to FL on tuesday. I'll have EOSM/7D/6D (think that's all I can fit)

Actually... done, it was quick. Does it show name now?

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on November 10, 2013, 09:35:39 PM
Does it show name now?

mlv_rec allocates 85 frames then crashes with those stubs added. Removed them and it's ok again.  :-\

Tried undoing your last couple of commits to see if they have anything to do with it but no, it's definitely the stubs.

Andy600

1%

Yea, oops, see latest. At least if they aren't present on 5DII someone can grab em now :)

Andy600