50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockfallfilms

Quote from: PressureFM on November 07, 2013, 11:52:08 AM
I'm surprised people aren't seeing the Metabones Speed Booster with the BMCC as a great alternative, making the BMCC nearly Super 35 and gaining 1 full stop brighter footage. After all, whether you like it or not, you are simply not getting 1080p out of the 50D.

If money wasn't an object then yes a BMCC and speed booster is a great option. However, that setup would require me shelling out £1500 for the BMCC £400 for the speedbooster + a set of Nikon lenses to use it.

The 50D provides a low cost option to get into raw shooting. No it's not 1080P but once it's upscaled and sharpened it's fine. In an ideal world of course I'd like to have more resolution but I will make do with what I have for a bargain price.

riccardocovino

Basically crop factor battle looks like this:

5DIII                      1:1
50D no crop:          1:1.6
50D crop                1:3.96
BMPCC                   1:2.88
BMCC                     1:2.4
BMCPC 4k              1:1.7
GH2                       1:88
GH3                       1:2
ARRI ALEXA           1:1.5
RED                       1:1.4 (depends on format)
Canon APS-C        1:1.6
Sony, APS-C          1:1.5
Nikon APS-C          1:1.5
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

maxotics

Thanks, now I just need to bookmark this! :)

riccardocovino

lionelp

You do get 1080 on the 50D in crop. Plain and simple.
Without necessarily investing in all new glass (speaking personally that is). :)
Quote from: PressureFM on November 07, 2013, 11:52:08 AM
I'm surprised people aren't seeing the Metabones Speed Booster with the BMCC as a great alternative, making the BMCC nearly Super 35 and gaining 1 full stop brighter footage. After all, whether you like it or not, you are simply not getting 1080p out of the 50D.

Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

1%

Wow, with that test crop is huge. So 7D is close to alexa in 1x and 50D is pretty much BMPCC in crop.

Andy600

Question for anyone shooting on the 50D with a monitor - What happens to the monitor display when you shoot in crop mode?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

riccardocovino

All APS-C cover 90-100% Alexa FOV, being Super35mm which is cinema standard, which is same as APS-C.

1%

Question for anyone shooting on the 50D with a monitor - What happens to the monitor display when you shoot in crop mode?

I think it just gives you the same image as the LV.

brandonmarsh

Quote from: Andy600 on November 07, 2013, 03:49:03 PM

What 1% said. I shoot w/ HDMI and crop mode displays exactly what LV is displaying. No change.

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

pulsar124

I am excited - finally I got my first speedy card (Lexar 32GB 1000x; ordered from US), so I plan to start playing with raw video this weekend (which happens to be a long weekend here in Canada).

paulforte

jamesd256

I've been using the Tragic Lantern build from 11 October by Andy600.  First results were good.  I was getting continuous recording at 1920x1080 in crop, with the data rate reported at around 70-80MB/s

For some reason now, it drops out after a second or two at that resolution.  Any suggestions what to try.  I could try formatting the card, but the thing is, if I have to format the card every time it gets a third full, it's not much use.

Could anyone summarise the difference in the level of support for raw on the 50d between TL and the nightlies.  I'm also getting the pink screen on half shutter bug, which I found a report saying was resolved, but it only mentioned the 5d3.

Also I've been reading about auto ETTR with support for automatic dual-iso being available.  Is there a build that has that and gives good results for raw on the 50D?
5D3, 550D

1%

Turn off dialog timers, make sure GD is off while recording. Also use the most memory you can... I think jpeg quality does it.

jamesd256

Quote from: jamesd256 on November 08, 2013, 01:50:50 AM
I've been using the Tragic Lantern build from 11 October by Andy600.  First results were good.  I was getting continuous recording at 1920x1080 in crop, with the data rate reported at around 70-80MB/s

For some reason now, it drops out after a second or two at that resolution.  Any suggestions what to try.  I could try formatting the card, but the thing is, if I have to format the card every time it gets a third full, it's not much use.

Could anyone summarise the difference in the level of support for raw on the 50d between TL and the nightlies.  I'm also getting the pink screen on half shutter bug, which I found a report saying was resolved, but it only mentioned the 5d3.

Also I've been reading about auto ETTR with support for automatic dual-iso being available.  Is there a build that has that and gives good results for raw on the 50D?

Thanks 1% for your reply.  I hadn't noticed the FPS override had been reset to off, so it was trying to do 30fps.

However it's actually got worse now.  As soon as I enable raw video, the stability takes a nosedive.  FPS override starts reporting about 1-2 FPS , the camera becomes unstable and crashes within a minute, needing a battery yank.

I have tried re-formatting, but the problem won't go away.  Latest attempt at turning on raw module produced a crash with a crashlog:

ASSERT: 0
at Stub.c:29, task LVC_AE
lv:1 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Andy600.Build.2013Oct11.50D109
Mercurial changeset   : dd08a07137b8+ (unified) tip
Built on 2013-10-11 15:48:27 UTC by magiclantern@magiclantern-VirtualBox.
Free Memory  : 200K + 3708K

EDIT:  Having tried resetting camera and ML settings, and still having the issue, I simply switched FPS over-ride to a different value (25) then back to 23.96, and the issue went away.  Recording 1080p again.
5D3, 550D

pulsar124

I only did a quick test last night with my my card Lexar 32GB 1000x and TL Oct 11 build, and I had no issues recording uncropped 3:2 video at 24 fps, with ~79.5 MB/s. I'll do more testing this weekend.

An idea - sorry if this was already discussed. Is it feasible to create a "virtual rail system" using crop mode on 50D? Are there any technical reasons which would only allow crop video to be sampled from the center of the frame? If not, perhaps such virtual panning is possible to implement? Say, one can specify how many pixels per frame the horizontal shift should be (could be negative), same for vertical shift. Then the crop area would be initially placed at one end of the full frame, and then would shift every frame by the specified X and Y pixels values, until it reaches the opposite end of the frame. I've seen this effect in some movies, looks very cool. I suspect it won't look real when using a wide angle lens (because of the perspective distortions at the edges of the frame), bur for 50mm and longer this should not very very obvious.

1%

QuoteI have tried re-formatting, but the problem won't go away.  Latest attempt at turning on raw module produced a crash with a crashlog:

You have some face detection or auto exposure mode on.

jamesd256

Quote from: pulsar124 on November 08, 2013, 01:07:45 PM
I only did a quick test last night with my my card Lexar 32GB 1000x and TL Oct 11 build, and I had no issues recording uncropped 3:2 video at 24 fps, with ~79.5 MB/s. I'll do more testing this weekend.

An idea - sorry if this was already discussed. Is it feasible to create a "virtual rail system" using crop mode on 50D? Are there any technical reasons which would only allow crop video to be sampled from the center of the frame? If not, perhaps such virtual panning is possible to implement? Say, one can specify how many pixels per frame the horizontal shift should be (could be negative), same for vertical shift. Then the crop area would be initially placed at one end of the full frame, and then would shift every frame by the specified X and Y pixels values, until it reaches the opposite end of the frame. I've seen this effect in some movies, looks very cool. I suspect it won't look real when using a wide angle lens (because of the perspective distortions at the edges of the frame), bur for 50mm and longer this should not very very obvious.

You can choose which area is used in crop by moving the box as usual before you record.

There is a digital dolly setting in the raw menu, which is supposed to let you use the joystick to pan the sampled area during cropped recording.  In my case it doesn't work as expected.  Once the option is enabled, the joystick ceases to move the focus box at all, recording or not.  I've looked for documentation on the feature, but obviously it's not in the user guide yet.

From what I've seen demo'ed, it could do with a softer start.  Looks a bit robotic.  Also, would be good to be able to set start and end points and speed as you suggest.
5D3, 550D

1%

Its not that complex but you should be in zoom mode for it to move the box around, otherwise its got nothing to move.

pulsar124

Quote from: jamesd256 on November 08, 2013, 10:45:00 PM
You can choose which area is used in crop by moving the box as usual before you record.

There is a digital dolly setting in the raw menu, which is supposed to let you use the joystick to pan the sampled area during cropped recording.  In my case it doesn't work as expected.  Once the option is enabled, the joystick ceases to move the focus box at all, recording or not.  I've looked for documentation on the feature, but obviously it's not in the user guide yet.

From what I've seen demo'ed, it could do with a softer start.  Looks a bit robotic.  Also, would be good to be able to set start and end points and speed as you suggest.

Thanks - I wasn't aware of this existing feature. I'll see if it works for me.

jamesd256

Quote from: 1% on November 08, 2013, 11:01:22 PM
Its not that complex but you should be in zoom mode for it to move the box around, otherwise its got nothing to move.

Once digital dolly is on, the joystick does nothing while in zoom mode for me.  If I turn it off again, the joystick moves the focus box as normal.  I understand this is not the intended functionality, but I'm not too bothered about digital dolly until it improves (yes it's feasible I might have a go at coding some improvements if nobody else has plans for it).
5D3, 550D

1%

Guess I'll have to check it and see what it does. With the large res on 50D I'm more interested in getting center of the lens.

LEVISDAVIS

No news on the final VAF from Mosaic Engineering, as far as emails or phone calls.

... Been on a shoot for the past 5 days in Tucson,AZ. Just shoot a documentary for the 14th conference for the National Scenic and Historic trails. Volunteered for the project and shoot about 1TB of footage.

Had two files in the mix of nearly 200 shots where the 2nd .roo was not finished in the writing due to camera errors. Will look into both the VAF and to find a way to fix a .roo file.

Again, the VAF isn't hitting the 50 d's resolution that hard. Also, I read somewhere about the 5d3 having an anti-aliasing filter and the possibility of removing the filter. Is the 50 d the same?
Levi S. Davis

PressureFM

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on November 09, 2013, 01:31:18 AM
No news on the final VAF from Mosaic Engineering, as far as emails or phone calls.

... Been on a shoot for the past 5 days in Tucson,AZ. Just shoot a documentary for the 14th conference for the National Scenic and Historic trails. Volunteered for the project and shoot about 1TB of footage.

Had two files in the mix of nearly 200 shots where the 2nd .roo was not finished in the writing due to camera errors. Will look into both the VAF and to find a way to fix a .roo file.

Again, the VAF isn't hitting the 50 d's resolution that hard. Also, I read somewhere about the 5d3 having an anti-aliasing filter and the possibility of removing the filter. Is the 50 d the same?

Surely you mean .r00?

The 5D Mark III has an Optical Low Pass Filter, as the only camera compatible with Magic Lantern. Removing it also introduces problems because that filter, filters light in the infrared (IR) wavelength, which would cause your color balance to shift to a more purple hue (everything black will shift to a slight purple tint). This can be remedied by using an IR Filter in front of the lens though. Oh yeah, and the filter is there to remove moiré in the first place.

I don't think anyone have tried it out with RAW video though.

One more catch, you also remove the ultrasonic dust reduction panel, which is in the OLPF as well. Meaning you can't remove dust any longer and will need to send it in to a professional technician to get it cleaned.