50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxotics

I've been up to my eye-balls in sensor pixel data.  Do any of you think a raw frame from different cameras can be identified somehow?  Perhaps some cameras have min/max values? 

bzhwindtalker

One really good trick to remove moiré/color fringing edges is to apply a chroma blur on your footage.
On premiere, make a new adjustement layer, select the blend mode to chroma and apply a small blur.
50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

maxotics

Quote from: bzhwindtalker on November 02, 2013, 07:30:36 PM
One really good trick to remove moiré/color fringing edges is to apply a chroma blur on your footage.
On premiere, make a new adjustement layer, select the blend mode to chroma and apply a small blur.

Alex has already added that to raw2dng by the way.  I don't know where he keeps the master thread on raw2dng, but some discussion here

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658.msg85490#msg85490

1%

Yea, maybe too much meta data.. I think the problem is when its written you get a pink frame. Its a problem on 7D too, probably 5DII as well.

pulsar124

I am still yet to try the RAW video feature on my 50D. I was held back by the lack of a fast card, and by high cost of getting one (Komputerbay cards are not really attractive here, due to the ridiculously high shipping costs - 40$; given how likely the card would have to be sent back, this is a non-starter).

I ended up ordering Lexar 32GB 1000x - am I right that this is the card most likely to get the most out of 50D in terms of RAW video? That's what my research here showed anyway. I was thinking of 16GB, but it appears that the 32GB is substantially faster (145 MB/s vs. 95 MB/s rated write speed); I don't really care about the size (I doubt I'll do much video recording with my 50D).

These cards are currently on sale at B&H Photo video (until November 8 ): 67$ and 119$ for 16 and 32GB, respectively (comes to 87 and 147 CAD all in in Canada; the cheapest you can find in Canada is 218 CAD for 32GB, so it is big savings).

Is there a consensus on what build/trunk of ML currently provides the best uncropped RAW video capabilities? I don't think I am interested in the cropped mode, as I am a big bokeh fun, and only consider doing video with my 50D to make use of my fast primes (like Canon 135mm f2.0 lens).

1%

32gb should be ok for like 5 mins of big raw video.

maxotics

Quote from: 1% on November 03, 2013, 03:59:06 PM
32gb should be ok for like 5 mins of big raw video.

1% Not more like 8 minutes?  4gb/min?

On 32 vs 16.  I have a good Toshiba 16gb card and have not been able to achieve 1080p following the instructions on how to shut almost everything off to get it.  My gut feeling is yes, the 32gb cards are slightly faster than the 16gb.  So think you made a good choice there.

1%

could be 8, I only have the 64s.

I think its possible to have B/W preview + no other indicators and GD on both on 50D and 7D. I didn't see any pink frames from cursory testing.. if you use anything else raw then pink frames or big slowdowns.

Andy600

@1% - I see you're doing something with your compiler. Will I still be able to compile or do I need to change anything?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

I'm testing compiling on windows, it should be working cross platform. Does it? I'm using latest q3 arm but that was updated for linux a while ago.

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

pulsar124

Should be 7.6 minutes for uncropped video. And even that is an overkill for me (I'll probably only try to shoot microstocks video, which is limited to 30 seconds), but 32GB Lexars are apparently much faster than 16GB ones.

Quote from: 1% on November 03, 2013, 04:43:48 PM
could be 8, I only have the 64s.

I think its possible to have B/W preview + no other indicators and GD on both on 50D and 7D. I didn't see any pink frames from cursory testing.. if you use anything else raw then pink frames or big slowdowns.

1%

Stock sites actually worth doing?

pulsar124

Quote from: 1% on November 03, 2013, 06:04:21 PM
Stock sites actually worth doing?

I have no idea. My photo microstocks site (dreamstime, were I already earned 600+$ for ~100 photos I have there) has just started accepting video. Contributors there are still trying to figure out what will sell and what will not.

dlrpgmsvc

Hy Andy! I saw your last 50D build uploaded on your repository! What's new? Or I missed your whatsnew post? Many thanks!
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Andy600

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on November 03, 2013, 11:08:20 PM
Hy Andy! I saw your last 50D build uploaded on your repository! What's new? Or I missed your whatsnew post? Many thanks!

It's mainly about the mlv player (also plays usual raw video via the file manager). Playback can be in grayscale or color and has transport controls (accessed with the pic style button). There is also selectable color preview for raw video but it's very slow so use global draw off.

TrueIndigo

I'm using Andy's TL (Oct 11) build and shooting in full sensor mode in an aspect ratio of 2.39:1 and setting "1600" as the frame width, which produces a video frame size of 1584 x 674.

Having created DNG files from the ML raw video file, I find that exporting tiffs from these DNGs in Adobe Camera Raw produces frames the same size as the DNGs, but exporting tiffs from RAW Therapee produces a slightly cropped frame of 1576 x 666, which is 8 pixels lost from both height and width. Anyone else get this slight crop with RAW Therapee?

Andy600

Quote from: TrueIndigo on November 04, 2013, 03:22:08 PM
I'm using Andy's TL (Oct 11) build and shooting in full sensor mode in an aspect ratio of 2.39:1 and setting "1600" as the frame width, which produces a video frame size of 1584 x 674.

Having created DNG files from the ML raw video file, I find that exporting tiffs from these DNGs in Adobe Camera Raw produces frames the same size as the DNGs, but exporting tiffs from RAW Therapee produces a slightly cropped frame of 1576 x 666, which is 8 pixels lost from both height and width. Anyone else get this slight crop with RAW Therapee?

Yep. Raw Therapee does do something weird when exporting. I tend to upscale larger than the intended final dimensions then scale footage back down to fit.

goldenchild9to5

Adobe Camera Raw Does an excellent job..

Heldico

Good news for those who are waiting the 50D VAF from Mosaic Engineering. They answered my email, and I ordered a final version ! They plan to go into production as soon as they can (I assume that the 70D version was their priority). I will do a video review and share before/after DNGs when I get it.

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Heldico on November 05, 2013, 11:04:48 AM
Good news for those who are waiting the 50D VAF from Mosaic Engineering. They answered my email, and I ordered a final version ! They plan to go into production as soon as they can (I assume that the 70D version was their priority). I will do a video review and share before/after DNGs when I get it.

That's good news, I've just emailed them to find out when they are available to buy from the website.

maxotics

menoc

Quote from: Heldico on November 05, 2013, 11:04:48 AM
Quote from: rockfallfilms on November 05, 2013, 04:10:59 PM
That's good news, I've just emailed them to find out when they are available to buy from the website.

Great News! How much are we talking about?

Heldico

QuoteGreat News! How much are we talking about?

Same price as the other APS-C filter, i.e. 295 $.

maxotics

Quote from: Heldico on November 05, 2013, 05:16:02 PM
Same price as the other APS-C filter, i.e. 295 $.

It's difficult for me at that price because I think sell my 50D with lens for $500 and get a BMPCC for $500 more instead of $800 invested in 50D with VAF.  These filters need to be at $200 for them to hit any sort of volume IMHO, at least for the APS-C sized cameras.  Might want to check with David if he can do them at that price if he gets X amount of commits.