50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxotics

Quote from: lomka on October 31, 2013, 09:44:54 PM
and i have 1 more question is there only 5x crop on 50d? cuz i have heared of 1920x1080 in 3x crop

I'm curious too.  It looks like 3x.  That the LV has issues showing the image correctly makes it seem like 5x.  Eventually I'll do a test.

Andy600

and i have 1 more question is there only 5x crop on 50d? cuz i have heared of 1920x1080 in 3x crop

50D crop is 2.475x (1:1) and yes, there is only one crop mode.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

maxotics

Quote from: Andy600 on October 31, 2013, 10:12:22 PM
50D crop is 2.475x (1:1) and yes, there is only one crop mode.

So is this right, Andy?  10mm x 1.6 native crop = 16mm x 2.475 image crop is 39.60, or 40mm effective focal length?  That is what it looks like to me, on both the 50D and EOS-M. 

Andy600

Quote from: maxotics on October 31, 2013, 10:28:55 PM
So is this right, Andy?  10mm x 1.6 native crop = 16mm x 2.475 image crop is 39.60, or 40mm effective focal length?  That is what it looks like to me, on both the 50D and EOS-M.

Yes, that's how I work out APS-C + crop focal lengths on the 50D and I'm pretty sure it's correct :)

A full-size raw image is 4752 wide / 2.475 = 1920
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

maxotics

Quote from: Andy600 on October 31, 2013, 10:33:37 PM
Yes, that's how I work out APS-C + crop focal lengths on the 50D and I'm pretty sure it's correct :)

A full-size raw image is 4752 wide / 2.475 = 1920

Thanks Andy, one more thing I can cross off my list!

Lens   Effective ML Crop
4.5    18mm
8    32mm
10    40mm
15    59mm
20    79mm
24    95mm
28    111mm
40    158mm
50    198mm
60    238mm
85    337mm

menoc

50D only has 5x and 10x crop modes . . .

Edit:  Actually, 5x only.

Andy600

Quote from: menoc on October 31, 2013, 11:01:31 PM
50D only has 5x and 10x crop modes . . .

Edit:  Actually, 5x only.

It's only got one recordable crop mode. The 5x and 10x are just zoom magnification for focussing.

menoc

Quote from: maxotics on October 31, 2013, 10:28:55 PM

My 200mm zoom in crop mode:

200mm x 1.6 = 320mm x 2.475 = 798mm!!!

menoc

Quote from: Andy600 on October 31, 2013, 11:12:21 PM
It's only got one recordable crop mode. The 5x and 10x are just zoom magnification for focussing.

Yes. My bad. Live view zoom modes are 5x and 10x.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: menoc on October 31, 2013, 07:42:16 PM
It could get pretty bad in certain scenes . . .

You right it could get bad when your viewing it on your editing suite, but as soon as you export it to H.264 and upload to youtube, or vimeo you get an automatic softening of the image which works nicely on Aliasing..

50Deezil

Quote from: 1% on October 31, 2013, 04:39:40 PM
Then why are the modes and behavior the same as 1x and 5x mode on other cams? All I see is rumor posts before the camera was released and people speculating it has 3x3 binning but no official or empirical proof that it is.

Then I see this guy:

http://www.canonwatch.com/eos-5d-mark-iii-hacked-anti-aliasing-filter-removed-more-sharpness/

Filter is blurring/darkening the image... hmmm sounds like that would take down moire just like the VAF. Also the moire issues seem related to sensor size and resolution output + how it divides up and then debayers.

The issue of Moire and Aliasing isn't as simple as the strength of the OLPF or the use of Pixel Binning alone.  Also there is the sensor and it's megapixel count that seems to also play a part in the process.  The Nikon D7100 doesn't have an AA filter and is able to record without producing Aliasing and Moire.  I think that it's pixel Pitch of 3.9 helps in this regard as it seems it might help the GH2 which has a pixel pitch of 3.6.  I think a smaller pixel pitch plus really good pixel binning may be enough to handle Aliasing and Moire even without an AA Filter.  It's all just my theory anyway.

The larger pixel pitch of 6.1 on the 5Dmk3 sensor may require that they have a strong AA filter in place in addition to Pixel Binning or maybe it's enough all by itself.  My guess is that Canon isn't line skipping on the 5Dmk3.  I think the 5Dmk3 video in RAW is so good that I can't imagine that it's only the stronger AA filter that is doing the job. 

menoc

brandonmarsh

Quote from: menoc on November 01, 2013, 12:28:53 AM
Update to Creative Cloud 12.1 is out!

Has there been any word about CS6 CinemaDNG support? Or are they keeping this exclusive to CC?

rockfallfilms

I think all they plan to do for CS6 is bug fixes but no new features. They want people to upgrade to CC!

donjames150

Quote from: 1% on October 31, 2013, 04:39:40 PM
Then why are the modes and behavior the same as 1x and 5x mode on other cams? All I see is rumor posts before the camera was released and people speculating it has 3x3 binning but no official or empirical proof that it is.

Then I see this guy:

http://www.canonwatch.com/eos-5d-mark-iii-hacked-anti-aliasing-filter-removed-more-sharpness/

Filter is blurring/darkening the image... hmmm sounds like that would take down moire just like the VAF. Also the moire issues seem related to sensor size and resolution output + how it divides up and then debayers.

just one moire comment on this subject

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVXns1R8ACc
EOS 760D + 55-250mm + Tokina 11-16mm

lionelp

"just one moire comment on this subject"

[/quote]

Good point! :)
[/list]
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

lomka

i think it would be cool if some of the companys made adapter for ml crop modes to match focal lenght of non crop one,  like taking lens closer to the sensor with magnifying glass or something(like fx and dx lenses)

araucaria

Quote from: lomka on November 01, 2013, 01:39:03 PM
i think it would be cool if some of the companys made adapter for ml crop modes to match focal lenght of non crop one,  like taking lens closer to the sensor with magnifying glass or something(like fx and dx lenses)
It exists and they call it "speed booster" but the flange distance is too big to do so on canons.

1%

Seems like a decent fix.

So how to find out whats going on for real with a test?

Andy600

I've been wanting to use the Visioncolor LOG ACR profile http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8816.0 but obviously raw2dng was using the default model name 'Canikon'. This meant the correct DCP is not used by ACR, even if it is installed.

I've temporarily hardcoded the model name for the 50D and uploaded a new raw2dng.exe that will enable ACR to correctly identify 50D dng files.

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/raw2dng_50DONLY.zip

Personally I use BATCHelor to convert my raw files so just swapped out the older raw2dng.exe with the new one in the relevant app folder.

This raw2dng.exe is for the 50D only!

pulsar124

Has anyone tried both Lexar 16GB 1000x and Transcend 16GB 1000x on Canon 50D? The Lexar is more expensive - I wonder if it provides any practical advantage when used on 50D?

1%

I think the model name should be a command line switch. None of the cams get identified.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on November 02, 2013, 06:06:12 PM
I think the model name should be a command line switch. None of the cams get identified.

Yes, that would make more sense but would mean raw conversion apps need to be updated. BATCHelor, RAWanizer and a couple of others seem to have stopped development.

Just saw g3gg0 posted something about model name in mlv. The stubs need to be added or something. Not sure if it would work with raw_rec??

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg86447#msg86447

1%

Problem is that it never adds the camera name to the footer for raw_rec, AFAIK. Yea, it works 100% in mlv except for the pink frames, etc and there are no batch tools to break compatibility with :(

If you have one cam its easy to hardcode it but for me its a bit of a PITA since I'd have to make a separate batch tool copy + matched raw rec for every cam.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on November 02, 2013, 06:43:24 PM
Problem is that it never adds the camera name to the footer for raw_rec, AFAIK. Yea, it works 100% in mlv except for the pink frames, etc and there are no batch tools to break compatibility with :(

If you have one cam its easy to hardcode it but for me its a bit of a PITA since I'd have to make a separate batch tool copy + matched raw rec for every cam.

I'm wondering if the pink/corrupt frame issue with mlv might be because there is a lot of metadata added. We only really need camera model, ISO and WB. Maybe an 'MLV lite' module with stripped down meta/exif would be better for lower-end cams or selectable on/off's for each meta field? It's a pity mlv has issues on the 50 atm :(