50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johansugarev

Still crashing. I'll do a fresh install on a different card and see if it helps.
Tried a new card - changed nothing on the settings. Still a no-go.
I'll restore the settings in camera to the canon default. (video system in canon menu was set to PAL - I live in europe - does this count for anything?)

I restored the factory settings (video system is still PAL). I think this got it working, not sure if it will crash again, but it didn't the last couple of times. btw, is the raw module the old raw_rec or this is the new mlv format. Cause it produces files with .RAW extensions..

1%

I know why it crashed:

Quote244:   790.282 [LV] AF Mode FACE
   245:   790.303 [LVFD] FD_SetFaceSearchState FD_INITIALIZE
   246:   790.316 [LV] FD_FACEAF_ON

You set AF to "face detection".

mlv_rec = mlv
raw_rec = raw

johansugarev

Yep - resetting canon settings worked it out. Thanks.
So there's no mlv in the latest build from andy? I guess copying the module from the one before isn't a good idea?

1%

Dunno. Usually its there. You don't have to reset the settings, turn on lv face detection, crash, turn off face detection, no crash.

johansugarev

Yep. got it. You're a lifesaver.

Andy600

Quote from: johansugarev on October 13, 2013, 12:44:06 AM
Yep - resetting canon settings worked it out. Thanks.
So there's no mlv in the latest build from andy? I guess copying the module from the one before isn't a good idea?

It's in the zip.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

LEVISDAVIS

Uploaded a couple of ProRes 444 videos of the Canon 50D.

https://copy.com/f7jD7CnQsUZWeO9L

Each video is the same. However, each video shows very different characteristics that the 50D has to offer, especially considering the VAF from Mosaic Engineering. Footage was debayered and upressed from 1584 - -> 2048 using Capture One trial software. The color correction was finalized inside of After Effects using Synthetic Aperture.

... Each file is about a 160MB if you want to download them. Also, there are some RAW DNGs available for download in this same link. The DNG files are taken from this same test shoot if you want to apply color-correction yourself.
Levi S. Davis

Andy600

@1% - with the latest commits mlv_rec compile is skipping because of a problem with mlv_dump.

mlv_dump.c:1524:62: error: 'mlv_styl_hdr_t' has no member named 'picStyle'
make: *** [mlv_dump.exe] Error 1

So I compiled mlv_rec separately and recorded a few shots but I can't convert/dump them to .raw

Exception! Header not recognized: 'STYL'
and mlv2dng just crashes out.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Try MLV2dng from g3ggo's package he made for 5DIII. Does that work.

dogmydog

Quote from: riccardocovino on October 10, 2013, 10:16:13 PM
I'm stuck with this workflow, simplest and most straightforward for me:

Conversion directly from flash card with RAW2CDNG with 12bit option enabled (saves 15% space) and import in Resolve 10 for CC and editing.

It has its flaws, but it's damn quick!

Speaking of compression, have you guys tried the lossy option of Raw Batchelor 3 for windows?
It uses Adobe DNG Converted when extracting DNGs from RAW. It's supposed to maintain IQ and decrease File Sizes.
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on October 13, 2013, 04:31:06 PM
Try MLV2dng from g3ggo's package he made for 5DIII. Does that work.

No mlv2dng in the zip ??? but tried his mlv_dump. It works, kinda though obviously the meta data is stripped and I get

Unknown Block: NULL, skipping

Just tried several 1 - 3 GB MLV files and no corruption. Not sure if this is a fluke.

jamesonblade

This is just another n00b question which most likely has a very simple answer.

I am recording h264 w/ fps override @ 23.976, ISO 100, f/1.8.

Magic Lantern displays that the shutter speed is 1/48 (the amount I am after, to achieve standard cinematic motion blur) while the analog display on my camera displays 1/80.

Which is the accurate reading, and if ML's is not, how do I get 1/48 or 1/50? Do I use the Canon reading over ML's?

I read the EXIF data from the movie and sure enough it reads that the capture shutterspeed was 1/80. (1/83, to be exact.)

Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

simulacro

the ML info is the useful one

1%

The top screen shutter is photo only. Not tied to LV at all. 50D likes to change your "shutter" by setting digital iso gains and stuff like that so don't forget expo override.

jamesonblade

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

joaomoutinho

Hi guys,

Tried this new version of tragiclanter, didnt really worked for me. The screen gets white bars in the "off picture" settings... Got back to the older version.
I've tried to read about "bolt mode" but didnt found many information about that. Although I dont work with this version, got me curious!

By the way, I would love to have the  adobe CC just to "pump up" the workflow!!
I thought by working with CinemaDNG in ResolveLite would be fast, but I was really wrong (5/6FPS...)

Only one more thing, it is possible to change the name of the RAW files in camera? If I could do this, it would be a lot easier to get organized all the Post-Prod workflow...

Thank you very much

1%

joaomoutinho

Quote from: 1% on October 14, 2013, 10:27:10 PM
White bars?

Yep... I get the "picture" normaly but the outlines of the image turn all white, making the histogram and waveform and f/number ISO not "seeable"

dont know why, but it runs like this as soon as I've installed this last version. Hum, and another thing that happened, the scrolling weel in the back of the camera stoped working. Now I have to do everything with the "joystick".  :-\
Something went wrong...

I have a question about the ".RAW" file:

It is any program or version that automaticly extracts all ".RAR" into one and only ".RAW" file? Just because I am really trying to get organized and in this terms, and because of the "FAT32" data issue, the ".RAW" files break up into 1 ".RAW" and then several ".RAR" files.

How can I manage to "Paste" them in one ".RAW" file and than delete every ".RAR"? I am working in a Windows7 OS...

Thank you very much!

1%

I'm guessing you're seeing zebra or raw_rec cropmarks as "white outlines" but maybe a shot in the dark.

Scroll wheel, not sure, I know there is a lock switch but mine is still working.

joaomoutinho

Quote from: 1% on October 14, 2013, 11:28:33 PM
I'm guessing you're seeing zebra or raw_rec cropmarks as "white outlines" but maybe a shot in the dark.

Scroll wheel, not sure, I know there is a lock switch but mine is still working.

Thanks for the recomendation. I've shut off the zebras and it still makes the outlines all white. It is like the white is flickering and I get to see in 1ms the specs and than it turns all white again... In a little bit it turns again 1ms the specs "normally" and than white again... Really dont know what is the problem.

1%

Help me out with a pic or screenshot.

DJG

Hey here is a fashion short done with the 50D. The quality is really amazing on the camera. I think 800iso is the limit before the noise gets too bad, the quality kind of suffers towards the end because I didn't feed it enough light,  but between neat vid and raw I was able to make it usable.

I've been using the ACR--AE--PPro workflow, but I ran into some problems. If you view the video at the highest resolution (original or 1080p) there is some weird stuff going on around the model's face at the beginning (maybe aliasing?). It wasn't there when I transcoded from raw to 444 10 bit DNxHD out of AE, but it showed up with the compression when I exported from PPro to .H264.

I did some test and this doesn't seem to happen when I use the 16:9 resolution, but only when using the 4:3 1280x960 resolution for anamorphic shooting. Maybe the increased 2560x960 resolution has something to do with creating moire when compressed the second time (it does not show up if I go from raw to .H264 out of AE on the first compression).

Other than that, I'm thinking about switching to the Resolve workflow... will that create a cleaner video vs my previous workflow? And is there a source for any tutorials on Resolve, the interface looks like a jumbled mess to me.

simulacro

Nice images, the name of the author is Edgar ALLAN Poe, you wrote on the video ALLEN (by the way i made a comic based on The Fall of The House of Usher) ;D

http://caidacasadeusher.blogspot.com.es/

DJG

Quote from: simulacro on October 15, 2013, 12:02:05 PM
Nice images, the name of the author is Edgar ALLAN Poe, you wrote on the video ALLEN (by the way i made a comic based on The Fall of The House of Usher) ;D

http://caidacasadeusher.blogspot.com.es/

Thanks Simulacro, great catch! Good thing this was a fun side vid and not a paid thing, lol

Nice comic too! I'm curious do you ever incorporate any comic stuff into your filming?

LEVISDAVIS

Received a new Komputerbay 128 GB 1000X today and I can't get the card to do a firmware update on my 50D. Wondering if anyone has found a way to make the card work...

Long story short... I had bought a 128 GB 1000X back in July and it work with my camera. However, the write speeds were about 2 - 5 mb/s too slow. Started thinking that with the latest builds that that same card might be applicable...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Levi S. Davis