50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsManning

Quote from: maxotics on October 08, 2013, 05:15:47 PM
The "fish-eye" name is what photos look like at that focal length / aspect ratio.   A 10mm would be considered fish-eye, but when in crop mode (45mm) does not look that way.  Here is some footage I shot yesterday in 2.35:1 with the EOS-M.  Straight to Cineform.  (sorry this is a 50d thread, but if you like this you'd LOVE it on the 50D).

As you can see, doesn't look fishy at all :)  I can't see that the 4.5 would be any different, except that it would look 21mm. 

Thanks for the fisheye crop videos and talk.  Was just chatting with D.L. Watson about the 8mm Rokinon in crop mode.  Seems like a good buy, and that these fisheye lenses are turning out ok for crop shooting.  Also noticed you are around Porter Square area.  I'm right across the river in Brighton. 

artiswar

Quote from: riccardocovino on October 09, 2013, 02:13:42 PM
I don't know how you got 200GB for 5 mins 2K on RED, it's more like 1GB per minute at 24p, so 120 should be around 5 GB, so way better than CinemaDNG.
And it couldn't be otherwise, or REDCINE raw compression wouldn't be so famous!

Five minute edit. Total amount of shooting was closer to 40-45 minutes. Our figures are the same.

maxotics

@dsManning.  Nice to know I'm not the only RAW nut in New England :)  Maybe we can organize a ML Raw and Black magic meet up at some point.  Maybe there already is one. 

lionelp

Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

1%

what kind of benchmark do you want? Its a few MB away from recording the whole zoom size at 23.976.

lionelp

I know. Hit like 89.3  MBs on a KombuterBay 64GB 1000x. GD on.
With the latest Tragic lantern thanks 1% and everyone.
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

vyskocil

Quote from: rockfallfilms on October 08, 2013, 08:53:20 PM
i just reinstalled Beta 1 and it works again now.

Resolve 10 Beta 3 is out, but I didn't tried it yet

riccardocovino

Just to clarify for everybody, because there's a general misunderstanding here:

File size comparison between CinemaDNG and REDCINE at 1920x1080 24P

CinemaDNG: 4GB / minute for 14bit RAW
REDCINE: from 0.4 to 1.5 GB / minute (depending on compression option) for 16bit RAW

So a compression factor would really really be helpful, now we have a "mini"RED that records 4x heavier files (at less quality).

BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

maxotics

$200 Cineform 4:4:4 or RAW?

SleeperNinja

Quote from: riccardocovino on October 10, 2013, 03:05:34 PM
Just to clarify for everybody, because there's a general misunderstanding here:

File size comparison between CinemaDNG and REDCINE at 1920x1080 24P

CinemaDNG: 4GB / minute for 14bit RAW
REDCINE: from 0.4 to 1.5 GB / minute (depending on compression option) for 16bit RAW

So a compression factor would really really be helpful, now we have a "mini"RED that records 4x heavier files (at less quality).
Isn't RAW R3D a series lossless jpeg2000 frames?

riccardocovino

Yes, it's a variant of JEPG2000.
It has wavelet compression, which leads to virtually zero artifacts and no blocking.
And stores info at 16 bit, allowing for RAW-like grading.

Compression ranges from 3:1 to 15:1 or 18:1, I don't remember, But usually it's used around best quality settings.

Even the long-time hoped 10bit RAW conversion while writing data would be a huge benfit on file size without affecting quality in a visible way, but all efforts went wrong..

SleeperNinja

Quote from: riccardocovino on October 10, 2013, 04:19:33 PM
Yes, it's a variant of JEPG2000.
It has wavelet compression, which leads to virtually zero artifacts and no blocking.
And stores info at 16 bit, allowing for RAW-like grading.

Compression ranges from 3:1 to 15:1 or 18:1, I don't remember, But usually it's used around best quality settings.

Even the long-time hoped 10bit RAW conversion while writing data would be a huge benfit on file size without affecting quality in a visible way, but all efforts went wrong..
As far as I'm concerned, being able to convert RAW to R3D RAW would be a wonderful thing. From the card, to a console based binary or GUI, to the drive in R3D would be pretty neat, I'd say. Premiere works well enough with R3D files, as do other NLEs.

Even if it means I just have to delete the files on the cards more frequently, preventing unnecessary disk usage could surely be a help to many.

I don't mind creating a more film-like workflow, resulting in tight slating--editing would be a breeze, and it breathes new life into creative storyboarding.

50Deezil

Quote from: maxotics on October 10, 2013, 03:32:37 PM
$200 Cineform 4:4:4 or RAW?
I'm seriously considering this myself.  Cineform seems to be what pretty much everyone is asking for in terms of a very good way to reduce file size and keep the quality gains of RAW.  I'm still investigating this option but it looks very compelling.

1%

If only they would fix the debayering.

maxotics

What's the problem with the debayering, 1%? 

One could also just use any traditional DNG to TIFF conversion/grading and then to Cineform.  My guess is that you'd lose little if you did that and straight to the free 4:2:2: version, through virtualdub or something.

1%

Well after AE I go to cineform.... but I want to just do raw -> cineform straight, not raw -> dng -> ae  -> cineform

With the debayering when using raw2gpcf I get lots of artifacts on lines and other areas, esp on digic V stuff like 6D. Its still present on 50D/7D but a bit more forgiving I guess. If you want to delete the .raw files and just leave the cineform AVI its not an option yet so not much space saving.

Mkolaj

I just thought of a feature, maybe there is one, but I couldn't locate it.

Framing in zoom mode is troublesome, because it is off sometimes.

How about the camera could take one frame (in crop, with selected resolution, exactly how it is going to look in ML RAW), then display it for a couple of seconds in color and stuff. It would reassure me that the footage is going to be what I had in mind while shooting.

I know I can do that with recording a couple of frames, and then playing them back, but playback is grey, not realtime and I think one fromegrab could also be used as a thumbnail.

What do you think?

maxotics

That's interesting, I've wondered about that.  The moire from the EOS-M seems much worse on Cineform than when I labor through some DNG to tiff stuff.  That explains it.  They must be using a simple bicubic, instead of Amaze, VHD? or even ACD?  Too bad.

maxotics

Quote from: Mkolaj on October 10, 2013, 09:58:33 PM
Framing in zoom mode is troublesome, because it is off sometimes.

I had this problem too.  1% pointed out that if you press the joystick button it locks the LV into the current framing.  That seems to work for me, at least when I remember to do it! :)

riccardocovino

I'm stuck with this workflow, simplest and most straightforward for me:

Conversion directly from flash card with RAW2CDNG with 12bit option enabled (saves 15% space) and import in Resolve 10 for CC and editing.

It has its flaws, but it's damn quick!

maxotics

Will try that Resolve workflow, thanks!

And on the de-bayering 1%, now I know where those blue dots are coming from in 50d footage, in between the leaves of a tree in a bright sky.

roopepal

I'm new to raw video and trying to decide on a memory card. If I bought the Lexar 16GB 1000x, how long would I be able to record 1920x1080? I've got a 50D.

SleeperNinja

Quote from: roopepal on October 11, 2013, 03:04:26 AM
I'm new to raw video and trying to decide on a memory card. If I bought the Lexar 16GB 1000x, how long would I be able to record 1920x1080? I've got a 50D.
1920x1080 at 23.976 is 82.9mb/s. Looks to be about 3 minutes and 20 seconds.

roopepal

Okay thanks. What about how many frames I would get before it stops recording? Or is the 16GB version capable of continuous, I think not?

SleeperNinja

Quote from: roopepal on October 11, 2013, 03:59:13 AM
Okay thanks. What about how many frames I would get before it stops recording? Or is the 16GB version capable of continuous, I think not?
With the Go Faster Tragic Lantern build, I've been recording continuously, using the Lexar 1000x 32GB.

If you want to find that, search the thread.