50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Quote from: kimo on October 01, 2013, 12:57:55 PM
Hi all,

Im very impressed by the awesome work and community here..!

Im new, just got at 50d and Im looking for the best card for the $$. as I have read the "KOMPUTERBAY 64GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 1000X 150MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 7 RAW 64 GB" seems to be the most stable? i see it costing $130 on amazn but there is a "KOMPUTERBAY 128GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 1000X 150MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 7 RAW 128 GB" for $170... is there a problem with the larger one? $40 more for twice the memory seems like a better deal (for some pretty damn expensive cards..).

do you have some advice for me? thanks in advance!

Yes, there are problems with the 128GB 1000x Komputerbay card! The forum is full of posts about it.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

Quote from: johansugarev on October 01, 2013, 01:14:58 PM
I am doing exactly that. Loaded the IMO modules (ones that have imo_..) - still the same. Loading the scripts module gives me some linking error.

Don't load the script module. I forgot to pull that from the latest build.

TBH it can only be 2 things. User/config error or your camera is fucked.

I'll msg you in a minute.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

kimo

thanks andy,

yeah i have noticed but its difficult to wade thru the posts to find out what works best for the 50d, compared to its data write speed etc.. off hand can you tell me what is the best for the price so far? :-[

Andy600

Quote from: kimo on October 01, 2013, 01:27:13 PM
thanks andy,

yeah i have noticed but its difficult to wade thru the posts to find out what works best for the 50d, compared to its data write speed etc.. off hand can you tell me what is the best for the price so far? :-[

The Komputerbay 64gb 1000x card is the best bang for the buck atm

simulacro

Quote from: bzhwindtalker on October 01, 2013, 08:51:09 AM
Here's a video I shot entierely on 50D, with a samyang 14t3.1 and a 50mmf1.7
The first timelapse was shotwith fps override at 4fps and sped up 10000% in post

I corrected wb, added saturation and applied a LUT (vision X) all in premiere.

Very cool video! also, it's good to see that if you know how to pan the camera correctly, there are very few rolling shutter issues

kunle

Komputerbay 64gb Not Working
Canons 5D MK III and 60D all with ML, Samyang 35 mm f/1.4,Samyang 85mm, Tamron 17-50mm vc, canon 70-200 L f4, Sigma 10-20m, SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4.Sigma 50mm f1.4 art, Canon 24-105mm.

kunle

Quote from: kunle on October 01, 2013, 07:33:21 PM
Komputerbay 64gb Not Working

I just bought a cannon 50d and komputetbay 64gb 1000x cf card.  Unfortunately the camera can't see the card, well it does but it states that the card needs to be formatted, which the camera can't do. I reformatted the card to fat32 but still have the same problem. The camera reads my other Cf cards. Does anybody have any suggestions or recommend a similar card?
Canons 5D MK III and 60D all with ML, Samyang 35 mm f/1.4,Samyang 85mm, Tamron 17-50mm vc, canon 70-200 L f4, Sigma 10-20m, SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4.Sigma 50mm f1.4 art, Canon 24-105mm.

Andy600

Check that you have V1.09 firmware installed

a1ex

Quote from: krashnik on September 30, 2013, 01:53:52 AM
Global Draw makes no difference & the UI is confusing for novices since you can change the Global Draw settings in at least 3 diff places.
Which are these 3 places? I can only find one.

QuoteI'd personally prefer Global Draw hard-coded into the INFO button.
Simply configure a display preset that does just this.

QuoteML is getting crazy with menus & submenus and we really aren't making use of the other buttons we have at our disposal.
Any constructive suggestion?

kunle

Thanks Andy600 for the quick response, the first thing I did when I got the camera was to check the firmware (It was V1.09) and I upgraded to the latest magic lantern firmware. The exact error on the camera was "Error CF". The CF was readable on both OS X and Windows operating systems.

Andy600

Quote from: kunle on October 01, 2013, 08:15:07 PM
Thanks Andy600 for the quick response, the first thing I did when I got the camera was to check the firmware (It was V1.09) and I upgraded to the latest magic lantern firmware. The exact error on the camera was "Error CF". The CF was readable on both OS X and Windows operating systems.

Did you make the card bootable?

kunle

Yes I did. I even did a low level format and formatted it fat32 before using eoscard.I have gone through this procedure loads of times my other cameras. Might just be I got one of the bad komputerbay cards I have read about. Will return it to Amazon and order a different card.

Andy600

Quote from: kunle on October 01, 2013, 08:45:15 PM
Yes I did. I even did a low level format and formatted it fat32 before using eoscard.I have gone through this procedure loads of times my other cameras. Might just be I got one of the bad komputerbay cards I have read about. Will return it to Amazon and order a different card.

Yes, unfortunately it sounds like a bad card.

SleeperNinja

I got a 32gb Transcend 1000X for $114--I've seen a lot of people complain about the KomputerBay in this thread alone, and I'd hate to see how much it pops up everywhere else. Just seems like it'd be a good idea to minimize the possibility that this could be the problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331027818633
Quote from: kimo on October 01, 2013, 12:57:55 PM
Hi all,

Im very impressed by the awesome work and community here..!

Im new, just got at 50d and Im looking for the best card for the $$. as I have read the "KOMPUTERBAY 64GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 1000X 150MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 7 RAW 64 GB" seems to be the most stable? i see it costing $130 on amazn but there is a "KOMPUTERBAY 128GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 1000X 150MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 7 RAW 128 GB" for $170... is there a problem with the larger one? $40 more for twice the memory seems like a better deal (for some pretty damn expensive cards..).

do you have some advice for me? thanks in advance!

SebaVuye

Is 2000x1080 continuous in crop? Seems like i can only get 250 frames out of it?  I have a Komputerbay 1000x...

1%

2000x1000 with 24fps. 2000x1080 should net more than 250 frames tho.

QuoteGlobal Draw makes no difference & the UI is confusing for novices since you can change the Global Draw settings in at least 3 diff places.

2 places, raw module (while recording) and ML menu... I'd say it makes a bit of diff for raw. You're not going to learn all the features in 1 day.

SebaVuye

Quote from: 1% on October 02, 2013, 04:01:02 AM
2000x1000 with 24fps. 2000x1080 should net more than 250 frames tho.

Thanks!

Nachelsoul

@Andy600. Hi man, may I ask you something I did not found any answer yet?
I´ve been shotting RAW with the 50D and I have noticed that the final exposure of the images are quite underexposed, once I open it in ACR, compared with what I saw in the LV camera. My question:
Is there a way to shoot "WYSIWYG" in 50D raw?
I know that the camera is not intended for video shooting and the LV image do not match with the Photo mode shutters values. I use always manual vintage lenses and even the auto ETTR works fine to get the best exposure, I find very difficult to shoot with such a bright image.
I have only found that the only way to get WYSIWYG is turning ON the "Constant Exp" in FPS override menu, but as you probably know it only works with 100 ISO and 1/50 near values.
Pardom my english.

PressureFM

Quote from: Nachelsoul on October 02, 2013, 11:59:25 AM
@Andy600. Hi man, may I ask you something I did not found any answer yet?
I´ve been shotting RAW with the 50D and I have noticed that the final exposure of the images are quite underexposed, once I open it in ACR, compared with what I saw in the LV camera. My question:
Is there a way to shoot "WYSIWYG" in 50D raw?
I know that the camera is not intended for video shooting and the LV image do not match with the Photo mode shutters values. I use always manual vintage lenses and even the auto ETTR works fine to get the best exposure, I find very difficult to shoot with such a bright image.
I have only found that the only way to get WYSIWYG is turning ON the "Constant Exp" in FPS override menu, but as you probably know it only works with 100 ISO and 1/50 near values.
Pardom my english.

Turn on Global Draw and Histogram to see your exposure levels.

a1ex

Try negative digital ISO to preview a darker image (this one doesn't affect the raw image, just the preview).

KahL

I like the UI text improvements in a great way. It's much more legible for me and for my 2nd Ops too.
A few new projects completed using the 50D latest builds :)

SPLIT SCREEN

C3 THE SCIENCE OF BOXING

THE PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE LITTLE TOASTER

I love you guys for the development strides you've brought to this community as well as to us filmmakers. It has REALLY brought my work to the next level.

lionelp

Real nice work Kahl.

To all involved with ML nice work all around.

Quote from: KahL on October 02, 2013, 04:33:31 PM
I like the UI text improvements in a great way. It's much more legible for me and for my 2nd Ops too.
A few new projects completed using the 50D latest builds :)

SPLIT SCREEN

C3 THE SCIENCE OF BOXING

THE PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE LITTLE TOASTER

I love you guys for the development strides you've brought to this community as well as to us filmmakers. It has REALLY brought my work to the next level.
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

Nachelsoul

Quote from: a1ex on October 02, 2013, 02:57:26 PM
Try negative digital ISO to preview a darker image (this one doesn't affect the raw image, just the preview).
Works great!!! Thanks Master. You are truly a legendary hero

krashnik

Quote from: 1% on October 02, 2013, 04:01:02 AM
2 places, raw module (while recording) and ML menu... I'd say it makes a bit of diff for raw. You're not going to learn all the features in 1 day.

Ok, so we have:

#1 - Overlay screen and a master control at top to toggle Global Draw
#2 - MLV/RAW mode screen
#3 - INFO Button on camera

I suggest we eliminate all but the INFO button as we are used to using this already for overlay controls.  By default, have GD off, then 1st hit of INFO button turns on normal Canon Overlay.  2nd hit of INFO turns on ML GD, 3rd hit brings up secondary ML menu with quick stats, 4th hit completely disables all GD again.

This is one less toggle to have to think about when setting things up.  It is not a matter of whether you can learn it in one day or not, I have had ML installed for years.  The problem lies in so many sub-menus which is not a professional approach.

I personally never touch my AF-ON button, the light bulb button, the Exposure Lock button, nor the Shoot Mode button on my Canon 50d.  Being able to reroute some ML features to utilize these buttons instead of a ML menu with submenus would be incredible.

For example, give us options in the ML menu to reroute these less-used buttons.  Have common options like "GD on/off" "RAW recording on/off"  "Video on/off" and maybe another common that ppl are always using while doing a run-n-gun type shoot with the 50D.  Hard-coded buttons in the config would really make the setup more advanced and help us all out. 

1%

QuoteI suggest we eliminate all but the INFO button as we are used to using this already for overlay

Uhm... I use global draw all the time except while recording raw video... I never use the canon dialogs.
The only other case to disable global draw is for HDMI recording.

QuoteI personally never touch my AF-ON button, the light bulb button, the Exposure Lock button

AF on is like 1/2 shutter, and generates the same events. Expo lock has issues too I think.

Also one thing you may forget is canon redraws excessively on 50D... record without disabling the dialog refresh/canon bmp buffer (tied to gD) and its pink frame city.