50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

menoc

Quote from: maxotics on September 29, 2013, 09:07:02 PM
Hi, I can't get continuous 1920x1080, even at 24 fps.   You're not referencing what it says next to "Move Record" with the frame-size setting after "RAW video", right?   I have a 50D with a build from yesterday. 

I don't know anything about the test mode and M2 B0.  If that's the trick, please tell me more! :)

I get continuous recording at 1584x892 @29.976FPS and in 5x crop at 1920x818 @29.976FPS

krashnik

I get continuous at 1920x1038, though taps out around 2 minutes on 1920x1080p.  This is all in 23.976 fps mode. 

It doesn't make sense, though... the buffer is doing fine & then it all of a sudden ends at the 4gb mark like it is a 32-bit related issue as opposed to buffer.

My buffer is only half full and then right at 4gb mark it quickly fills.  I've tested this on both cameras and at various places on each CF card, so I dont' think it's a hiccup in the card either.  Maybe still not fast enough and coincidentally always capping at that same 4gb spot.

menoc

Quote from: krashnik on September 29, 2013, 11:00:08 PM
I get continuous at 1920x1038, though taps out around 2 minutes on 1920x1080p.  This is all in 23.976 fps mode. 

It doesn't make sense, though... the buffer is doing fine & then it all of a sudden ends at the 4gb mark like it is a 32-bit related issue as opposed to buffer.

My buffer is only half full and then right at 4gb mark it quickly fills.  I've tested this on both cameras and at various places on each CF card, so I dont' think it's a hiccup in the card either.  Maybe still not fast enough and coincidentally always capping at that same 4gb spot.

It's just not fast enough at 1920x1080. It may do it with the Komputerbay 1050x card . . . But it might also be an issue with the edmacs . . .

menoc

1920x818 @29.976 is good if you want to slow down the footage . . .

krashnik

Quote from: menoc on September 29, 2013, 11:14:36 PM
It's just not fast enough at 1920x1080. It may do it with the Komputerbay 1050x card . . . But it might also be an issue with the edmacs . . .

The Komputerbay 1000x is definitely fast enough.  I can transfer 117mb/s through my Kingston 3.0 USB CF Card Reader just fine.

I think there are still some limitations in the programming.  Honestly, we only really need to squeeze another 2mb/sec and then we should be good.

In further testing, I switched around a ton of settings and found there may be something eating up memory to control the lenses.  I tried out a few Tamron lenses that my camera doesn't recognize and they gave better results than my L-series or nifty 50 Canon lenses.

While recording, I assume there is something in the program that is reading aperture settings or focal points, even when in manual mode on the lens.  Has anyone else tested their speed in relation to having a generic lens on or not?  I had all lenses in manual mode while testing.

menoc

Quote from: krashnik on September 29, 2013, 11:44:52 PM
The Komputerbay 1000x is definitely fast enough.  I can transfer 117mb/s through my Kingston 3.0 USB CF Card Reader just fine.

I think there are still some limitations in the programming.  Honestly, we only really need to squeeze another 2mb/sec and then we should be good.

In further testing, I switched around a ton of settings and found there may be something eating up memory to control the lenses.  I tried out a few Tamron lenses that my camera doesn't recognize and they gave better results than my L-series or nifty 50 Canon lenses.

While recording, I assume there is something in the program that is reading aperture settings or focal points, even when in manual mode on the lens.  Has anyone else tested their speed in relation to having a generic lens on or not?  I had all lenses in manual mode while testing.

Turn off Global Draw completely and you'll have better results.

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

krashnik

Quote from: menoc on September 30, 2013, 12:47:47 AM
Turn off Global Draw completely and you'll have better results.

As stated in my post, I've switched almost all settings possible and using 2 diff cameras, 2 diff CF cards & giving my feedback on what works best.  Global Draw makes no difference & the UI is confusing for novices since you can change the Global Draw settings in at least 3 diff places.  I'd personally prefer Global Draw hard-coded into the INFO button.  ML is getting crazy with menus & submenus and we really aren't making use of the other buttons we have at our disposal.

1%

Also, remember to align your cards and never format in camera. Unaligned, small cluster size is good for a 2-3MB/s off.

I've got no real issues with 1080P and 2k*1K. Hacked mode won't kill edmacs on 5DII/50D/7D cameras. Only 7D gets to play with dead 10x mode.

menoc

Quote from: 1% on September 30, 2013, 02:25:43 AM
Also, remember to align your cards and never format in camera. Unaligned, small cluster size is good for a 2-3MB/s off.

I've got no real issues with 1080P and 2k*1K. Hacked mode won't kill edmacs on 5DII/50D/7D cameras. Only 7D gets to play with dead 10x mode.

I haven't been keeping up but, never format in Camera?

maxotics

So if I have everything set up perfectly (right card, ML, settings) I should be able to get 1920x1080p, 24fps, in crop mode on the 50D?  I'm seeing conflicting posts.  Thanks!

Andy600

I format in-camera but also check occasionally that my cards are aligned using an app called diskat-gui (found online). Not sure what cluster size the camera formats to but I don't have any problems with write speeds.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

menoc

Quote from: Andy600 on September 30, 2013, 03:14:41 AM
I format in-camera but also check occasionally that my cards are aligned using an app called diskat-gui (found online). Not sure what cluster size the camera formats to but I don't have any problems with write speeds.

Are we talking about defragmenting the card? Or is this something different?

Andy600

Quote from: menoc on September 30, 2013, 03:33:19 AM
Are we talking about defragmenting the card? Or is this something different?

No, it's different. Some cards are misaligned and this can reduce write speeds. If your card is misaligned you need to align it by formatting it a certain way. The Diskat_gui app (search online for it) does a quick analysis of your card and will tell you if it needs aligning.

Google HD alignment

akumiszcza

Here's part of my old post about format alignment and how to do it in Windows (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6554.msg55959#msg55959):

"I reformatted the card:

diskpart
list disk

select disk [...] <- I chose the disk with 29GB, same order as in diskmgmt.msc
clean
create partition primary align=4096

Then format in explorer - fat32, 64kb, quick.

To check:
wmic partition get BlockSize, StartingOffset, Name, Index
StartingOffset divided by BlockSize should be a multiple of 4096 I think? (...)"

And here's the mentioned diskat_gui (Disk Alignment Test) – I haven't tested it, though: http://download.cnet.com/Disk-Alignment-Test/3000-18512_4-75795945.html

1%

Yup, I do that + format to 64K clusters, default is 32. I always end up misaligned formatting in camera, maybe its just me.

thorstone137

I was wondering if anyone had a quick and dirty time-lapse workflow.. I was thinking of using RAW video.. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking I would set my FPS override to something low like 4-12 FPS and then speed in up in my editor to whatever frame rate I was producing at..

Any tips?

bzhwindtalker

Here's a video I shot entierely on 50D, with a samyang 14t3.1 and a 50mmf1.7
The first timelapse was shotwith fps override at 4fps and sped up 10000% in post

I corrected wb, added saturation and applied a LUT (vision X) all in premiere.

50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

johansugarev

Still no joy for me with Tragic Lantern. With 28sep. build, as well as the previous two, the camera crashes when I turn on MLV recording (movie menu) in Live View, or when I switch to live view with it on. The camera freezes and I can't do anything except take the batteries out. This is on a freshly formatted in camera Komputerbay 32gb x1000 card - installed 2.3 and replaced it with TL.
Any help, please?

Andy600

Quote from: johansugarev on October 01, 2013, 12:42:38 PM
Still no joy for me with Tragic Lantern. With 28sep. build, as well as the previous two, the camera crashes when I turn on MLV recording (movie menu) in Live View, or when I switch to live view with it on. The camera freezes and I can't do anything except take the batteries out. This is on a freshly formatted in camera Komputerbay 32gb x1000 card - installed 2.3 and replaced it with TL.
Any help, please?

Don't enable raw_rec and mlv_rec at the same time and make sure the IME modules are loaded too.

I would suggest not loading any other modules (ettr, auto exposure etc).

kimo

Hi all,

Im very impressed by the awesome work and community here..!

Im new, just got at 50d and Im looking for the best card for the $$. as I have read the "KOMPUTERBAY 64GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 1000X 150MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 7 RAW 64 GB" seems to be the most stable? i see it costing $130 on amazn but there is a "KOMPUTERBAY 128GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 1000X 150MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 7 RAW 128 GB" for $170... is there a problem with the larger one? $40 more for twice the memory seems like a better deal (for some pretty damn expensive cards..).

do you have some advice for me? thanks in advance!

johansugarev

Quote from: Andy600 on October 01, 2013, 12:51:03 PM
Don't enable raw_rec and mlv_rec at the same time and make sure the IME modules are loaded too.

I would suggest not loading any other modules (ettr, auto exposure etc).
Which are the IME modules?  :o
I enable only mlv_rec

x4kep

Transcend 16GB 600x (TS16GCF600)
Tragic Lantern 28sep, raw_rec module, format card to 64Kb clusters, сard warm-up 1GB, GlobalDraw off
In crop mode:
1792x1008 24fps - continuos ok
1856x1044 24fps - 791 frames
1920x1080 24fps - 383 frames

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: johansugarev on October 01, 2013, 12:42:38 PM
Still no joy for me with Tragic Lantern. With 28sep. build, as well as the previous two,
Try replacing all of the files from your card with new files from the build.  Do not mix old files with new files from updated builds.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

johansugarev

I am doing exactly that. Loaded the IMO modules (ones that have imo_..) - still the same. Loading the scripts module gives me some linking error.