50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bart

Hi,

I've spent a lot of time reading into the 50d and this is what is know so far that might help you.
RAW options for 50d are limited and most of them can already be achieved with a Komputerbay 64GB 1000x.

RAW limitations for 50d

FPS
The camera offers only 1080@30p which means framerate can NOT go faster than 29,97fps. Even with a 150000x CF

RESOLUTION
- normal shooting mode 1584x1058. This is an absolute limit and horizontally roughly 1/3rd of the photo resolution
- cropmode: uses the center of the sensor and is limited to 2000x1080

One very important setting is: [Global draw off while recording]
This is found in the RAW video submenu and the "off" setting makes it work

This setting disables all overlay functions at once (zebra, peaking, histogram etc)  to put all resources  to writing proper frames to the CF card.

So most RAW functionality is already possible except for framerates between 23.976 and 29,97.

I would advice to accept these limitations and make the best of them. Andy600 clearly showed a while back in this topic that you can shoot gorgeous footage with this camera at both 1584x and 1920x resolutions.

So good luck

araucaria

Yep, unless something magic happens, this is as far as it will go. What has been achieved is huge, now go and film actual stuff :p

joaomoutinho

Quote from: bart on September 26, 2013, 09:08:52 AM
Hi,

I've spent a lot of time reading into the 50d and this is what is know so far that might help you.
RAW options for 50d are limited and most of them can already be achieved with a Komputerbay 64GB 1000x.

RAW limitations for 50d

FPS
The camera offers only 1080@30p which means framerate can NOT go faster than 29,97fps. Even with a 150000x CF

RESOLUTION
- normal shooting mode 1584x1058. This is an absolute limit and horizontally roughly 1/3rd of the photo resolution
- cropmode: uses the center of the sensor and is limited to 2000x1080

One very important setting is: [Global draw off while recording]
This is found in the RAW video submenu and the "off" setting makes it work

This setting disables all overlay functions at once (zebra, peaking, histogram etc)  to put all resources  to writing proper frames to the CF card.

So most RAW functionality is already possible except for framerates between 23.976 and 29,97.

I would advice to accept these limitations and make the best of them. Andy600 clearly showed a while back in this topic that you can shoot gorgeous footage with this camera at both 1584x and 1920x resolutions.

So good luck

Thank you very much for the advice. I think it will help a lot of users! I had already a LV "screen preset" on the 4th screen to have the global drawn off... I have the "first" LV screen to see the ETTR values (histogram) and the spotmeter (raw, afbox), the "second" LV is for Waveform and Vectorscope, the "third" LV is for focus and exposure with zebras (RAW) focus peak (0.6, Local, strong edges, low res, alpha blend) and MagicZoom (+mode) - I am having some issues with this last option. Need to close and open the LVmode in order for this to work...

I cant get continuos video if i am in 3:2 AR and 1584X1058 Res... This would be a nice little bit higher res to work with continusly, thats why I have talked about the speed of the new cards and if they could unlock the camera just a little bit further!

Do you use the Flaat Picture style modes that are referenced in the MagicLantern Manual? I will give them a try. Not sure what they do but I will test them out.

And one more thing, I find it dificult to have  a organized shooting plan.  Is there any feature to change the name of the clips, IN camera? That would be a really nice feature to have a better workflow.

I get lost with all the clips. I have a pen and a paper, but in a more "professional" workflow, it would be really nice to add this feature. A little thing to do... (I say a little thing but I imagine the work behind it. To achive this) I have the most respect for those who can speak the "CODE" language. Really admire what they are able to do.

Thank you very much.

araucaria

Picture style has no effect on Raw video, forget about it, you only need it for compressed normal 8bit h264 video which looks horrible on the 50d anyway.

joaomoutinho

Quote from: araucaria on September 26, 2013, 06:19:25 PM
Picture style has no effect on Raw video, forget about it, you only need it for compressed normal 8bit h264 video which looks horrible on the 50d anyway.

True story!!   :(

It does not make any difference to the RAW recording, but there is one thing that I want to achive, and it is to get a less saturated image in the LV screen, just to feel that I am recording in that Flat Raw Environment.

Can I achive that somehow?

bart

abpcl

Hey guys,

Quick question regarding 50d video playback . . . and excuse me if this isn't the best place to post! 

Regarding playback, well . . . its not working, and I'm just wondering 2 things. 

1)  Is this the way it is, considering the obvious with the camera and not originally doing video? 

2)  If so, whats the easiest method you've found to playback clips in the field?

I would just like to know if I got the shot, or if I'll need to take again, and being able to review what I just took would be great.

Thanks, and sorry I'm such a noob. 

1%

As well as it plays back is how real time compression would work :)

After your 15 minutes are up, view the files when you dump the card if its too slow.

jarededitor

Hello,

I am new to the world of 50D RAW and was curious as to how much I am supposed to be able to record in a single take. I am currently getting to 1421 frames before my camera shuts off. I am recording 1584x1058 at 23.976 fps (which from my understanding supposed to record "continuously"). Is there anything I could be doing wrong? I know it's not my card running out of room because I have a 16GB CF card that I format before I shoot.

Thank you!

menoc

Quote from: jarededitor on September 27, 2013, 09:34:48 PM
Hello,

I am new to the world of 50D RAW and was curious as to how much I am supposed to be able to record in a single take. I am currently getting to 1421 frames before my camera shuts off. I am recording 1584x1058 at 23.976 fps (which from my understanding supposed to record "continuously"). Is there anything I could be doing wrong? I know it's not my card running out of room because I have a 16GB CF card that I format before I shoot.

Thank you!

1st:   What model/speed card are you using?
2nd:  Set option to turn off "Global Draw" in "RAW Video" menu

LEVISDAVIS

Does your camera automatically turn off after a certain period of time? There is a Canon Menu option to turn off "Auto Off" or "Auto Power Off."
Levi S. Davis

Frerichs

Playing around with cropmode in the latest Tragic Lantern August 27 build and a Canon EF 800mm f/5.6 lens.

Andy600

***NEW TRAGIC LANTERN 50D BUILD UPLOADED***

I've just uploaded a new build of Tragic Lantern for the 50D that should increase raw video write speeds by ~2MB/s when used with a fast card (1000x or more)  8)

This build features minor cosmetic changes and also moves module config files to the ML settings folder. You will need to re-enable modules then reboot.

Download - https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/Tragic_Lantern_50D109-Andy600.2013Sep28.go_faster.zip

IMPORTANT - Please remember Tragic Lantern builds are on a rolling release and are independent of the main Magic Lantern code although they are up-to-date with ML code at time of release.

Tragic Lantern is developed by 1% and is based on the main Magic Lantern code but does have several enhancements and additional features not (yet) included in Magic Lantern for the 50D.

WARNING - Certain features such as control over 'Dialogue timers' do not conform to Magic Lantern code rules and although unlikely, may break your camera. Only install a Tragic Lantern build if you understand and are willing to risk your camera for the increase in performance!!!

In my own experience I have used Tragic Lantern without any major issues for over 2 years on the 600D and now the 50D but always beware of the risks.

Tragic Lantern for the 50D is not supported by other Magic Lantern developers so please only post in this thread when addressing issues/problems/bugs etc.

Thanks as ever to 1% for his sterling work on the 50D and to a1ex, g3gg0, stevefal (for the nice new look) and all the other devs who contribute their time and effort to develop Magic Lantern free of charge!

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Rewind

Quote from: Andy600 on September 28, 2013, 11:40:31 PM
I've just uploaded a new build of Tragic Lantern for the 50D that should increase raw video write speeds by ~2MB/s
How did you achieved that? And is it possible to apply such code modifications to other cameras?

Andy600

I didn't. 1% did. He found better Edmacs. The 7D is faster and I guess other cameras can benefit, though the faster edmacs will likely be different for each camera and need finding.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Rewind

Quote from: Andy600 on September 28, 2013, 11:47:22 PM
I didn't. 1% did. He found better Edmacs :)
Seems like I miss the thread. Can you point me on that?

Andy600

1%

My benchmark was like 86 or something so ~3-4MB off the top isn't horrible. I think 7D has a little bit more room up to 91. If it ever does the 86 tho, that's pretty much the full LV in zoom.

maxotics

Hi Andy, doesn't look like enough additional MBs, but just in case.  On the 50D, does it record 1856x1044 continuous in crop mode at 24fps now?

Andy600

Quote from: maxotics on September 29, 2013, 12:47:35 AM
Hi Andy, doesn't look like enough additional MBs, but just in case.  On the 50D, does it record 1856x1044 continuous in crop mode at 24fps now?

Try it. The only way to tell what you'll get is to use it with your specific card ;)

maxotics

Thanks Andy, was trying to stay out of trouble (I'm full on with 1%'s other Canonstein, the EOS-M), but OKAY!   :-[ 

I loaded that module and was able to record at 1792x1008 continuous on a Toshiba 16GB 1000x card.  Higher rates did not make the continuous cut.  I have been shooting at 1728x972.  For all I know i could have done the higher rate, though doubt it.

So 1%, great going!  I think my 50D just went up another $25 in value!

1%

Its in the bin, not the module.

1920x1038 - safe for me
1920x1080 - maybe 2nd record or 2000x1000

6D/7D/50D/600D all more stable than EOSM, that camera is quirky as hell and lots of stuff is done a diff way on it. Plus the dots which will probably re-appear on any canon with that af system now on.

LEVISDAVIS

Recording Raw Continuous at 1584 x 892 at 30 fps with Komputerbay 1000x with latest Tragic Lantern. ;D

... Wondering if Canon would consider having customers ship back their cameras in order to reduce image noise now that RAW capability has been released.
... What about dark frame subtractions? Is that essentially the same technique to reduce image noise and optimize video?
Levi S. Davis

krashnik

So, I have 2 50Ds.  Both using 64gb 1000x KomputerBay cards.

Just installed latest Tragic Lantern & wanted to give some feedback when shooting in cropped mode for 1920x1080p.  This is for both RAW and MLV modes, I get almost exactly the same results.  Card hits 78mb/s in both cameras for ~20 seconds on first run. Then, 2nd run gets up to 82mb/s and sometimes peaks at 83mb/s.  Every file tops out around 4gb-4.4gb 

Also put into test mode and it seems M2 B0 is fastest on both cameras by up to a +4mb/s increase.

This is true when hooking up via HDMI, leaving global draw on, or turning off - none effect performance. 

Also, my LV never gets turned off, even when going into Hacked mode.

While recording, no matter what mode I'm in, the screen turns grey once I hit SET for recording.

Hope this helps! 

maxotics

Quote from: krashnik on September 29, 2013, 08:11:01 PM
Just installed latest Tragic Lantern & wanted to give some feedback when shooting in cropped mode for 1920x1080p.  This is for both RAW and MLV modes, I get almost exactly the same results.  Card hits 78mb/s in both cameras for ~20 seconds on first run. Then, 2nd run gets up to 82mb/s and sometimes peaks at 83mb/s.  Every file tops out around 4gb-4.4gb 

Also put into test mode and it seems M2 B0 is fastest on both cameras by up to a +4mb/s increase.

Hi, I can't get continuous 1920x1080, even at 24 fps.   You're not referencing what it says next to "Move Record" with the frame-size setting after "RAW video", right?   I have a 50D with a build from yesterday. 

I don't know anything about the test mode and M2 B0.  If that's the trick, please tell me more! :)