50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Its unfortunately in the bin itself.

Corrupt MLV pre/post change? Seems OK here but probably needs more testing.

2000x1000 is continuous for me after 2 records and no corrupt frames in raw. I can't play back the MLV in camera so can't check it for frames. Digic Peaking off/timers off. 23.976/24 frame rates.. 25P isn't so lucky.

Andy600

No worries. I compiled a bunch of bins with different edmac settings so I could quickly swap them. To me, it looks like #3 is best, #4 works but I think it's marginally slower and does slow down them more the card fills (not sure if that's related though). Is Reslock linked to #7? because I get a "Reslock failed' error.

The mlv corruption was before and after the change. I've tried different cards, different resolutions etc but get random corrupt frames. It's only 1 - 3 frames that are screwed but if they happen in the middle it ruins a take.

I don't have any corrupt frames with raw_rec so I guess it's just the metadata being written during shooting that's causing the corrupt frames?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

So 3 was the best for you? Weird, I tested 3 again and 4 still seemed snappier. Maybe need a larger sample.

Resloc failing means the edmac is used.

Andy600

Yes. I haven't tried with Digic peaking off. Will give it another go with edmac 4.

I'm using g3gg0's mlv player to test.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

That peaking is cool but from exp... EOSM = locked H264, 7D = 3-4MB+ off write speed. I should really make it turn off on rec.

I was playing back 7D files with the player today and noticed frame 2 got hit alot, have to record some smaller files on 50D and check.

Andy600

Tried #4 again and still think #3 is better. #3 seems to have a more stable write speed, only varying +/- 1mb or so. #4 does seem to get up to speed a bit quicker but it fluctuates. Tried it in movie mode and photo mode.

Still getting corrupt mlv frames with Digic peaking off and timers disabled.

I'll try again tomorrow. Need some zzzz's

BTW - check out this ADTG reg http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6751.msg77975#msg77975 - does very weird things, like dual resolution or something.

1%

There needs to be an edmac speed test or something with error checking... add an invalid edmac and the speed goes up but you're writing empty/dead frames.

savale

mlv is a nice too have, but not something stopping us from making great movies :)

Something that would really help me (and probably others) is to have a toggle to (always) enable image stabilization (canon IS) while recording. Right now I have to keep the shutter button half pressed, but I need my hand for other things actually :P

Stedda

Quote from: savale on September 24, 2013, 01:39:57 PM
Right now I have to keep the shutter button half pressed, but I need my hand for other things actually :P

Enable Sticky Half Shutter
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

bart

I can't find an answer for the following question:

What is the status on dual_iso video on 50d?

My primary use of the 50d is crop raw video in situations with a strong backlight. I love those shots and dual iso can push the limits even more. Otherwise dualiso in timelapse is great too, but can't handle moving subjects like video.

Andy600

Quote from: bart on September 24, 2013, 02:48:16 PM
I can't find an answer for the following question:

What is the status on dual_iso video on 50d?

My primary use of the 50d is crop raw video in situations with a strong backlight. I love those shots and dual iso can push the limits even more. Otherwise dualiso in timelapse is great too, but can't handle moving subjects like video.

It only works for stills on the 50D.

bart

Hi Andy,

I knew about the photomode. And of course the latest build is the latest build. I'll just stick to exploring the latest build properly, before asking any more questions.

Rolfe Klement

Did a quick test with the latest ML TL build. Seems fine for me

thanks

Rolfe Klement
creativesunshine

1%

Card benchmark seems to be working in play mode:

Test 9 is commented out:

//~ card_benchmark_wr(128*1024,     9, 9);

EDMAC3 vs 4
http://imgur.com/a/luL1Q

LEVISDAVIS

Little update on latest TL... Recorded 23 GB no corrupt frames on Raw_Record... Super stable User Interface.

Been reading a lot about the MLV_Rec module, particularly about the corrupt frames... With the latest TL build and the last build I noticed in 5x zoom, Canon Live View setting not Hacked or ML Grayscale, that there was an intermittent corrupt frame (about 5 frames into the 5X zoom mode). Perhaps the corrupt frame issue is somehow tied into this phase of the 50D's pipeline? 

Seems to happen at least once on every shoot after the camera has been on for some time. Thinking that if I see this again to immediately record in 5X mode as a means for testing the module/pipeline...
Levi S. Davis

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on September 24, 2013, 06:44:39 PM
Card benchmark seems to be working in play mode:

Test 9 is commented out:

//~ card_benchmark_wr(128*1024,     9, 9);

EDMAC3 vs 4
http://imgur.com/a/luL1Q

Is the top image Edmac 4?

a1ex

EDMAC is not used in playback mode at all ;)

ck8610

40D's autoload.bin  isn't work...... when I updata ML_40d111.fir (30.Aug version)...It goes black ,but just can foucus without shotable.... How can I solve it?

1%

QuotePerhaps the corrupt frame issue is somehow tied into this phase of the 50D's pipeline? 

Some checks are taken out in MLV by g3gg0 and you get the corrupt frame sometimes when it writes the meta data.

QuoteEDMAC is not used in playback mode at all ;)
Yea, should be full theoretical speed. I'll try in LV, make sure it doesn't stop.

Still dying on read test in LV :(

boot-hack.o: In function `my_big_init_task':
boot-hack.c:(.text+0x308): undefined reference to `exmem_init'
boot-hack.c:(.text+0x310): undefined reference to `card_benchmark_task'

I tried only running the benchmark, cofig_early port compiles but doesn't do anything.

menoc

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on September 24, 2013, 06:46:01 PM
Little update on latest TL... Recorded 23 GB no corrupt frames on Raw_Record... Super stable User Interface.

Been reading a lot about the MLV_Rec module, particularly about the corrupt frames... With the latest TL build and the last build I noticed in 5x zoom, Canon Live View setting not Hacked or ML Grayscale, that there was an intermittent corrupt frame (about 5 frames into the 5X zoom mode). Perhaps the corrupt frame issue is somehow tied into this phase of the 50D's pipeline? 

Seems to happen at least once on every shoot after the camera has been on for some time. Thinking that if I see this again to immediately record in 5X mode as a means for testing the module/pipeline...

I have raw_record 1920x960 5x crop fully stable when used in conjunction with "Hacked: No Global Draw" option. I can fill up the card with no skipped frames.

LEVISDAVIS

Levi S. Davis

a1ex

boot-hack.c:(.text+0x308): undefined reference to `exmem_init'
boot-hack.c:(.text+0x310): undefined reference to `card_benchmark_task'

Remove the static keyword.

Rawolution

Quote from: Stedda on September 24, 2013, 02:32:00 PM

Wait, does this feature means I get constant automatic Image Stabilisation on my lenses (OIS) without the need to have the button half pressed? Since when is this part of ML?

tnx

jcdenton

Quote from: Stedda on September 24, 2013, 02:32:00 PM

Unfortunately it doesn't help. I enabled the 'Hold during REC' function but still need to keep shutter button half pressed. I tried it on 18-55mm IS II & 55-250mm IS II result is the same. What did I do wrong? Anyone can help me with this?

ML Version: Andy600.Build.2013Aug18.50D109

Off topic: I'm new one on forum but followed this thread for a long time. Anyway I would like to thank everybody who support and help in development of Magic Lantern. You are my heroes :)

joaomoutinho

Hi there.
For the past days I have been working with the TragicLantern before this new build... It get a little bit time to get used and to get to know how to role everything and make it work as I intended.

So, from my experience, the RAW_REC failed on me in 4 clips, near the beggining of them (20/s aprox). Dont know what it was. Just turned the camera off and started everything again. I got less of this when I taked out the overlays. This is what I have done - Made 4 different overlays, one with histogram, other to focus peak, other to vectorscope and one with nothing.  After I stablished the shot, runed the RAW_REC in the "virtual display" that had nothing to it.

Another thing, didnt got used to the ETTR histogram just because I couldnt "read it". I am now reading about it and I am getting familiar with this right now.
The MLV_REC I still dont know what it is and what is offering, so I just stick to the "old" RAW_REC...
In the new version of TragicLantern (that I just downloaded now) is there something that you guys advise to be careful with or to use a lot?

Only one more thing, and I dont know if I am being too noob - There are going to be new cards with increased speeds. Do you think that is going to be possible to have "full hd" or higher framerates with this new cards?

Thank you very much .