50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

araucaria

Quote from: Andy600 on September 21, 2013, 06:41:48 PM
@araucaria thanks for heads-up and the pic. You got that lens for a steal of a price :D

Just out of curiosty, why did you shoot 1920 and not something closer to 1440 x 1080? Just wondering if that would change any of the characteristics of the unsqueezed imaged.

I'm a bit puzzled too about the noise you mentioned as it's still capturing pixels in crop and non-crop but one has skipping. Are you saying that lineskipping actually looks better than 1:1 crop video?  ???
Not really, the only diference is that the noise in lineskipping looks more static to me (I refer to normal luminosity noise, not with high isos and darkness).

Shooting at 1440x1080 looks exactly the same as if you crop the sides of the fullhd. The lens streches everything 2x in the wide, so if you shoot @ 500x1080p you will get 1000x1080p, but that image is exacly the same as if you shoot full 1920x1080p, stretch it to 3840x1080 and crop the sides to 1000. Yeah lol.

Andy600

re: stretching - Of course, that makes sense ;D Thanks.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

araucaria

Well it squeezes und you just stretch it in post to unsqueeze ^^

DonJuan

I don't have modules listed anywhere. image effects is the last option in movie mode. first option says movie record and 1920x1080 30fps. I don't see anything anywhere that says rew video

akumiszcza

Quote from: DonJuan on September 21, 2013, 10:07:28 PM
I don't have modules listed anywhere. image effects is the last option in movie mode. first option says movie record and 1920x1080 30fps. I don't see anything anywhere that says rew video

What build/version of ML are you using then? For raw video on 50D get nightly (http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/) or even better Tragic Lantern builds (https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads - don't enable script.mo module in last build).

johansugarev

Is there any detailed explanation of the shooting and conversion process with MLV?

DonJuan

i tried tragic lantern and it was even more confusing. I didn't find anything that let me enable raw video. I have a 50d with a shutter count of less than 200. (I got lucky) however I am not gfetting lucky with the raw video. I have a udma7 1000x 64gb card.

akumiszcza

Quote from: DonJuan on September 22, 2013, 06:27:22 AM
i tried tragic lantern and it was even more confusing. I didn't find anything that let me enable raw video. I have a 50d with a shutter count of less than 200. (I got lucky) however I am not gfetting lucky with the raw video. I have a udma7 1000x 64gb card.

Read first post here and RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide, FAQ & Useful Links --  READ FIRST
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.msg37597#msg37597

You are probably missing some step in installation. Normally you just enable module, restart and set raw video up.

bart

I need some help.

What I want is everything off except for mlv module and digic zebras highlights, histogram with ETTR hints, shortcuts ISO,tv,av
With these settings I want to do 1920x1080 crop at 21fps.

problem.
I can't set exposure. shutter and iso change very little in liveview while the canon top lcd changes iso/shutter in predictable steps. I don't see any change in liveview and can't compensate for ETTR hints. Aperture seems to change the number displayed in liveview but I don't see any change in picture brightness or ETTR hints.

What is wrong? I got the Fn functions all to 0 and the display still reports 'ALO NEUTRAL', I can't set exposure simulation 'ON'

Andy600

Are you sure you have turned off ALO in the Canon menu?

Maybe also check Live View function settings in the Canon menu too.

I set up everything on C1 using Manual (M) as a base then with C1 selected I made all my changes (disabled everything in Canon menu) and resaved.

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

bart

I am in M mode and used the "clear all Custom Func" an delete magic.cfg.
just at clean startup and no modification I press 'func' for ISO and it goes from 100 160 eq100 and stays on eq100

Andy600

Weird  :-\

and you definitely haven't got ETTR or Auto Exposure modules on?

Does the Clear all custom func disable HTP, ALO, ISO NR etc?

Andy600

BTW @bart - Why 21fps?

I see you're using the same card as I have and it 'can' do continuous at 1080p/24p. You need to use raw_rec, not mlv_rec and might need to disable dialog timers (only in Tragic Lantern). I've filled my card a couple of times to test. Some users report differing writing speeds with the KB 64gb 1000x so it might not show 'continuous' in the info bar but you should still get decent recording times from it.

1%

Quotejust at clean startup and no modification I press 'func' for ISO and it goes from 100 160 eq100 and stays on eq100

There is no manual movie mode in reality, you need expo override. None of the controls really apply to LV, only photos.

a1ex

Quote from: Andy600 on September 21, 2013, 12:09:29 PM
@1% - Sorry, I know this is a total PITA but I'm trying to work out the crop centering issue because I'll need it accurate for shooting anamorphic soon.

The only way to do this is via ADTG/CMOS registers.

bart

Quote from: 1% on September 22, 2013, 07:14:53 PM
There is no manual movie mode in reality, you need expo override. None of the controls really apply to LV, only photos.

ok Thanks, i'll try that

Quoteauthor=Andy600 BTW @bart - Why 21fps?

over 22fps I get these heating warnings. I did get some 1080p24 footage but dropped back to 21fps. I first need to figure out the basics and go from there. My first cropzoom landscape at 11mm looked pretty great.

I want to use 1080p crop just for extreme contrast situations (pitty about the dualiso in video, but it's great in plain raw too)

Then I want to do some tiny cropzoom macroshots with rackfocus and digital dolly. Maybe rack from one tiny mushroom to another all raw with strong backlight where they get transparent.
I'll post some samples as soon as I've got the basics right.

Hi A1ex

1%

Good to see the warning is working... it can be falsely triggered if you select not exact FPS and 22 FPS, have to fix that.

bart

Quote from: 1% on September 22, 2013, 08:12:32 PM
Good to see the warning is working... it can be falsely triggered if you select not exact FPS and 22 FPS, have to fix that.

Well they are gone with these setting: They work fine

- Camera on M mode with all Fn functions disabled
- Only one module enabled: raw_rec

ML enabled functions
- Exposure override
- Shortcuts iso/kel, av/tv
- Global draw on: but off while recording (in RAW submenu set to "off" to work)
- zebras, histogram with ETTR hints for best exposure choice

- movie record 1920x1080
- REC key: half shutter
--FPS override 23,976
- RAW video on 1920x1080

- Dialog timers: disabled

Now I can do 1920x1080@24p(23.976) in cropzoom at around 80-81MB/s on a Komputerbay 64GB 1000x

Hope this helps other to get is working.
From these settings you can try other stuff. This just works.

Oh one thing. Which shutter should I believe: The one in ML liveview that increased in very small increments or the shutter speed on the top LCD that progresses much faster?
When the liveview shutterspeed is at 1/100 the top lcd is 1/500.

[EDIT]found answer through ADTG search: it's the liveview shutter. The top one is for photomode (1%)

1%

Those don't match LV and ADTG shutter didn't fix FPS limits.

robertgl

RE: the VAF filter - it's just a prototype from mosiac? Can they improve it further?   I said on the video comments that the moire banding is reduced but present.. I would much prefer it all removed if possible. 

LEVISDAVIS

RobertGL:

Mosaic is reviewing the footage and will be in contact shortly. We are playing phone tag the last couple of days in order to properly view footage... I think they are attempting to completely eliminate moire and aliasing all together. But we'll know more this week... (I'll post another update too)...

I'm thinking to go back to the same location on Tuesday and fire off some shots to see just how prevalent the moire and aliasing are under different filters... Will post some results later this week.
Levi S. Davis

johansugarev

Went back to magic lantern. Latest TL kept crashing my 50D and i had to take the batteries out whenever I enabled MLV raw or went to live view with raw video on. Camera just freezes.

Andy600

Quote from: johansugarev on September 24, 2013, 12:20:34 AM
Went back to magic lantern. Latest TL kept crashing my 50D and i had to take the batteries out whenever I enabled MLV raw or went to live view with raw video on. Camera just freezes.

Hmmm  ??? It's working ok here. The only time I've had to pull the battery has been when playing with ADTG registers.

1%

Does the edmac 04 change help... I seem to be writing faster. It also seems to get up to speed better.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on September 24, 2013, 01:53:36 AM
Does the edmac 04 change help... I seem to be writing faster. It also seems to get up to speed better.

Just posted on the commit. Seems ok but then speed drops after a few shots.

Are you getting any corrupt frames with mlv? I'm getting them intermittently whatever the frame size.

Could Edmac selection be made selectable in the module temporarily to avoid recompiling?